(our) Magnificent Seven..an OG start

chara

28 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Hi everyone

Below is a list of members who I'm sure would want to come back so any help tracing them would be much appreciated.

Richard Redmond, Rob B, Martin, Flinkers, Asvaberg, Blue Snow, Jason B, McCreadie, Leo, Holymoly, Kezza, Chris B, Zidane, The Velour Fog, Lampen, East Lower, Kratos, Charlie SW69, Arkie, Chiswick Blue, American Blue, Le Beouf's Golf Ball, Diddymen, Chelboy, Dingus, Juni, Hallgalley (on FB), Willian Dollar Baby, Backbiter, Bert19, Super Kenny Monkou, Liquidator, Tarvas, Lump of Celery, Bison, Phoenix Blue, Blue In Every Way, Jangz, R Bartlett, Kenny Paul, DannyLB, Kenedin, Gurjss, Aussie Blue, Exiled Blue, Sciatika (on Twitter Keith Y), Fillery, Carefree Muratcan, Brin, Frank Lampard8.

Phew!!  Well that will do for the minute!!!  Kenny Paul, Backbiter, DannyLB and Jangz are all on The Shed End but you have to do several posts on there before you can pm members.

Can't do much on all this for the next few days but be back at it asap next week.  Grateful thanks to Sam for everything he is adding to the site.

Challenge accepted.

• Thanks 1

Is it worth putting a post on The Shed Facebook group to see who's on there? 

Maybe include the link to the new group?

Also, hopefully we'll somehow be able to find a way of diverting old members from the old link to the new.  

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

Thank you. As I said to Sam when he got in touch by text about half an hour ago, I was almost thinking of signing up to the Talk Chelsea forum in order to get my 'fix' 😱

You wouldn't believe how quickly Sam got this up and running it was an amazing feat of computer engineering.

40 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

You wouldn't believe how quickly Sam got this up and running it was an amazing feat of computer engineering.

True story. In the morning we were discussing how CFCnet as we knew it was dead. 

I put a TV and some shelves up and by the time I was finished, Son of CFCnet was born. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Agreed: an impressive piece of work - you might almost think Sam'd been prepared for it!

Regarding missing members, what about Stim? Posts on The Shed End  - see https://www.theshedend.com/profile/9271-stim/?tab=activity, as did Droy five years ago - https://www.theshedend.com/profile/16161-droy-was-my-hero/. Also where are Sleeping Dave and Duffo the Bear?

• Haha 1

Over coffee first thing after checking personal e's here is my spot for a brief rest.

Seeing all the familiar names slowly drifting in brings a real smile... and now BobS...good to see you up and running,

and Ham of course..love Son of CFCnet!

Sam?...words fail me ....it can't be posted enough times...a brilliant piece of far beyond me tech resurrection.

A selfless gift to us all.

As the modest (huh) holder of the something or other poster award may I suggest that if a similar vote be arranged later in the year Sam gets a special accolade and the "award" is named after Sam?...least we can do.

• Like 1

I appreciate all the thanks, but honestly I am just glad I can help. Just my way of giving something back to this forum and all that have walked through its corridors. All I now ask in return is for everyone to keep posting and getting our name back out there.

@Blue MoonI wish I was prepared for it, would have saved a lot of time and I’d have found a way to get hold of some of the golden pages from the transfer topic… where is James Prescott these days?

Hi all, boy am I glad this is back up and running!  Big thanks to MBIB. 

I found the new link on Twitter by randomly searching the term CFCnet to see if I could find any chatter about the site being down.   I wonder if it's worth doing the same for certain users? 

• Like 2

@Rob B...YES!!!...running out of fingers as per Chris and Vin!

Garbled muddled chara aside..at the end of The M7 when C & V ride off...when I first saw it I wished with all my heart that I was riding off with them...and then..well..eventually I did!

Can't wait to see who's next.....

41 minutes ago, Rob B said:

I found the new link on Twitter by randomly searching the term CFCnet to see if I could find any chatter about the site being down.   I wonder if it's worth doing the same for certain users? 

Glad you found us again Rob. I think you're referring to my tweet. I've just put out a new one as well, so hopefully more and more people will find us.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Rob B said:

I looked at CFCNet on Twitter (sadly I'm banned now... my joke [photography] post of "all those who prefer to be photographed inn natural light should be taken outside and shot" was deemed as inciting violence 🙄 ) and Facebook, but neither looked as if there'd been any activity for several years. Maybe worth a punt, though, just in case others look there?

• Like 1

For all those who have recently joined, the plan is to fix the website address you currently see at the top so that it always displays as or at least with cfcnet.uk in, but that requires an upgrade of the systems i've built on and a bit of an investment. So keep an eye on things and i'll do my best to try and keep you all up to date about any changes coming.

Eventually, we want to try and get our hands on the original cfcnet.co.uk address, but we can't do that for at least another. 6months or so.

Just now, Bob Singleton said:

@My Blood Is Blue regarding current hosting, unless (as I used to be many moons ago) you are a hosting reseller, it must be costing you (or someone) for the site. I'm happy to contribute short term - as I did some years ago on the old site when we needed, IIRC about £100/month to keep going.

At the moment, the only cost is the domain name. I'm currently running these forums using a 'free trial' of the software in order to give me time to get it all set up and working and see if we can get enough people back etc. Soon though, I will need to move to the paid version and at that point I will be asking for donations and anyone that can contribute, it would be gratefully recieved. We want to do everything we can to avoid losing the forum again!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

At the moment, the only cost is the domain name. I'm currently running these forums using a 'free trial' of the software in order to give me time to get it all set up and working and see if we can get enough people back etc. Soon though, I will need to move to the paid version and at that point I will be asking for donations and anyone that can contribute, it would be gratefully recieved. We want to do everything we can to avoid losing the forum again!

I think this is a "cleaner" design to be honest I much prefer it to the old one , even if the old site comes back I'd prefer to pay for this one and have the control in our hands. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think this is a "cleaner" design to be honest I much prefer it to the old one , even if the old site comes back I'd prefer to pay for this one and have the control in our hands. 

I feel the same, to be honest. We wanted to update the old site for ages, but because the owners were invisible we couldn;t do a lot as we had such limited access. We just about had access to keep this going and fix the few 'outages' we had. Going forward, we'll have much more control and can update things as we want and need, which I think is definitely a good thing.

• Like 4

@My Blood Is BlueVery much in agreement with the "control" issues.

All of us have been here for long enough to understand what is needed and necessary for the Forum without agendas and profit motives.

Newcomers have fresh ideas and views so it's a win win situation and not dependent on a disinterest commercial "ruler".

In the early days the Forum was a Chelsea "luv" produced Forum and it will be a good thing for it to revert to the true spirit of the Forum with an Administration motivated by a mutual interest in OUR Chelsea..plus the amazing outreach of friendship as displayed over the last few days.

Thank You All for showing a cynical OG that real people do exist!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Blue Moon said:

Agreed: an impressive piece of work - you might almost think Sam'd been prepared for it!

Regarding missing members, what about Stim? Posts on The Shed End  - see https://www.theshedend.com/profile/9271-stim/?tab=activity, as did Droy five years ago - https://www.theshedend.com/profile/16161-droy-was-my-hero/. Also where are Sleeping Dave and Duffo the Bear?

Give us a break BM 😉 It wasn’t meant to be an exhaustive list, long as it is.  Although I agree about Sleeping Dave, I don’t know how I forgot him.

I think RDCW is going to contact Duffo the Bear, not that I’ve seen him on here for a long time.

I have mentioned The Shed End already.  Backbiter amongst others is on there.  I joined just to message them but you have to do several posts before you can use the pm and I haven’t got time atm ☹️

With the issues I am having going through "normal" search engines to get here,or not, it may be that others over here are having the same issues. Much discussed with Sam so I know it is in good hands but if no issues down under I wonder why I am struggling?... any notification I get from here gives me direct access to the Forum with no problem.

I'm puzzling how I can get the news out over here..any suggestions?