Who will the next permanent Chelsea manager be?

Who should be next Chelsea manager?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• Julian Nagelsmann
    • Bruno Saltor
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Luis Enrique
    • Mauricio Pochettino
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Diego Simeone
    • John Terry
    • Frank Lampard
    • Ruben Amorim
    • Thomas Frank
    • Hansi Flick
    • Antonio Conte
    • Marco Silva
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Ange Postecoglou
    • Gareth Southgate
    • Marco Bielsa

This poll is closed to new votes

6 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

As i have said before, holes can be picked for sure. They can with virtually all managers though. Things started badly with that Roma team, he came in and shook the place up early by taking Totti on. That alone shows he has bollox to walk into that club and take on their club legend. 

He also clashed with Messi too, it was widely reported that they had an indifferent relationship during the early days at Barca.

You can actually draw a number of comparisons to his style with Mourinho. The major difference being he has not quite had the same level of success Mourinho had, but has he worked at clubs where that success is realistic ? Maybe he could have done better at Roma, but maybe that job just came too early in his career. He was never really going to get them genuinely competing in a Juve dominated, quite poor era in Serie A with little money around during that time.

I have since heard Messi and Totti praise Enrique as a coach. Which is quite interesting really, considering both players had spells under him where they were not seeing eye to eye. I have also heard Thiago openly talk about what a great coach he believes Enrique is.

I think it will be an interesting appointment and probably quite combustible at times. These players have had a lighter touch style of management in two out of the last three, its been pretty bad to average during those periods.

AVB walked in and shook up things also, as did Rafa when he arrived, and we know how that went. Just because Enrique showed the stones to do that doesn't mean it was the right decision. 

I'm sure he's a good coach at a certain level and within a specific environment, but none of what he's done to date is along the lines of the job he'd be walking in on and undertaking here. He's not built sides before, he's not really developed young players, his spells at clubs have largely been short, and he's been away from club football for the last like 6 years. 

Fo all the positives that get spoke about, there's plenty of red flags that come along with it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

AVB walked in and shook up things also, as did Rafa when he arrived, and we know how that went. Just because Enrique showed the stones to do that doesn't mean it was the right decision. 

I'm sure he's a good coach at a certain level and within a specific environment, but none of what he's done to date is along the lines of the job he'd be walking in on and undertaking here. He's not built sides before, he's not really developed young players, his spells at clubs have largely been short, and he's been away from club football for the last like 6 years. 

Fo all the positives that get spoke about, there's plenty of red flags that come along with it.

All fair enough points......but can you honestly say Ange Postacoglu does ? Surely he has many , many more red flags?

He's not going to be able to bring in Japanese players for £2 million quid (realistically - only one of 2 clubs who can in that league) and they be a cut above most players in this league.

Enrique was also succesful with Barca B, so I would say he has not developed young players is unfair, as that is the whole point of Barca B.

4 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

All fair enough points......but can you honestly say Ange Postacoglu does ? Surely he has many , many more red flags?

He's not going to be able to bring in Japanese players for £2 million quid (realistically - only one of 2 clubs who can in that league) and they be a cut above most players in this league.

Enrique was also succesful with Barca B, so I would say he has not developed young players is unfair, as that is the whole point of Barca B.

Enrique and Postecoglou aren't really comparable to be fair.

Postecoglou's obviously spent the vast majority of his career outside of Europe, where he's had to actually forge a career from the old NSL, through the A-League, then branching out into Asia, and now Europe. He's also been successful at every club he's walked into, built teams, and developed young players along the way at a senior level. This all being replicated at International level with Australia as well.

He of course has his red flags in terms of genuine top level experience, not having managed in a top league, leading elite players, and alike. So he's not a perfect risk free candidate either. I would just prefer him because I've naturally seen more of him up close, and I think he's a better fit for the sort of project we've got going on. Whether he could step up to the level needed is an unknown, but he's managed to continuously do so over his career so it's not out of the realm of possibility.  Even then, appointing a more reputable managers like an Enrique doesn't guarantee better results either. There's risk either way, 

To be perfectly honest, any manager we indeed end up hiring won't last more than 36 months. I can almost guarantee that. So... Hard to be overly concerned on who we hire (or fire). Best course of action is to have a very indifferent attitude to our managers and players these days. The last team we will ever have that felt like genuine Chelsea was the spine with Cech, JT, Colex2, Lampard, Drogba. We won't see that again. 

Out of the current lot of players there's two I care for. The rest - meh. 

My only wish is that we make a pragmatic hire this time. Nagelsmann does not tick that box, rather it screams of yet another cure hire that has a spectacular chance of blowing up in our faces. 

Along with Zerbi, Pochettino and Nagelsmann, I'd like to rule myself out of the vacant Spurs job. Anyway, my requirements for compensation in the event of termination are way higher than Spurs would be prepared to pay.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

To be perfectly honest, any manager we indeed end up hiring won't last more than 36 months. I can almost guarantee that. So... Hard to be overly concerned on who we hire (or fire). Best course of action is to have a very indifferent attitude to our managers and players these days. The last team we will ever have that felt like genuine Chelsea was the spine with Cech, JT, Colex2, Lampard, Drogba. We won't see that again. 

My only wish is that we make a pragmatic hire this time. Nagelsmann does not tick that box, rather it screams of yet another cure hire that has a spectacular chance of blowing up in our faces. 

Not sure I agree with this Dave.

I'm still hoping for a Klopp-style legacy. Doesn't seem out of the question.

15 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

One of the funniest things ever on TV and particularly this episode , however I always thought the best bit was when Len comes back to get them and his robes are all flying out behind him. 

"HE DID KICK ME UP THE ARSE!!" 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ham said:

I consider @chara to be a day worker, despite the time difference.  He's normally around until I clock off. 

Think maybe I'm more a "hybrid"....April here but usual Colorado bipolar (hah) weather means lot of time indoors and more time wandering about the Forum.

(FWIW..after 3 days without lighting the fire snow all day yesterday minus 10F to get up to and well input pipe frozen in basement..hopefully warming under a heater now!Cancelled dental appt due to awful road conditions..long way from SB and lot of time on line!)

I curtain twitch a lot on the "late crowd" but far too tough a mob for me to usually dare to dive into! (Usually very entertaining and informative..few punches pulled but heat in the kitchen etc!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Did you really not feel anything like that during Frank's time? A club legend at the helm, James, Tomori, Gilmour, Mount, Hudson-Odoi, Abraham in the squad. from the academy. Felt like a fun time to me and I was really proud of the club in his first season.

• Like 1

I'd agree with that - it felt like a return to the olde days - but alas, Frank did show his inexperience, and the times they did a-change. But if you asked me whether I preferred Ted Lasso and Beard - sorry - Graham Potter and Bruno Saltor Grau (is he really Beard in disguise?) to Frank, well, I'd have to say the latter. We may not have won much, but I did feel the club spirit was more present - and more pleasant. That being said, onwards and upwards, so looking forward to whichever wandering manager our lords and masters choose for us. Provided it's not Tubby.

Oh, and @chara, it might be freezing over there, but our weather is nuts here. Left home in Buckinghamshire in t-shirt and leather jacket, wondering whether I really needed the jacket. By sundown it was taters, and froze to death on the way home. 

1 minute ago, Blue Moon said:

I'd agree with that - it felt like a return to the olde days - but alas, Frank did show his inexperience, and the times they did a-change. But if you asked me whether I preferred Ted Lasso and Beard - sorry - Graham Potter and Bruno Saltor Grau (is he really Beard in disguise?) to Frank, well, I'd have to say the latter. We may not have won much, but I did feel the club spirit was more present - and more pleasant. That being said, onwards and upwards, so looking forward to whichever wandering manager our lords and masters choose for us. Provided it's not Tubby.

Oh, and @chara, it might be freezing over there, but our weather is nuts here. Left home in Buckinghamshire in t-shirt and leather jacket, wondering whether I really needed the jacket. By sundown it was taters, and froze to death on the way home. 

I agree regarding Frank....seemed a "lighter" time but his second season which seemed to be going the right way with the "Lost Three" transfers in looking to be a way forward was let down from day one.

No excuses but "star" transfers that were seen to be a new way forward became three ba deadweights,,,which three years or so on has still not changes or made any sense.

Note forBM...water ok now bur still ff cold!

At first the stories this morning of Lampard becoming interim manager until the summer were easy to dismiss as 'lazy journalism' due to him attending the game last night... a case of 2+2=5

However, the rumours have been progressively mounting as the day has gone on...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/apr/05/chelsea-to-hold-talks-luis-enrique-manager-frank-lampard-return-considered

14 minutes ago, DannyLB said:

Lampard coming back until end of season is gathering some pace. 

Hmm. Is this because Nagelsmann has only just been sacked and needs time to get his act together? What does this say about Enrique who is available presumably right away? Or maybe neither manager wants to jump in at the end of a chaotic season?