Who will the next permanent Chelsea manager be?

Who should be next Chelsea manager?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• Julian Nagelsmann
    • Bruno Saltor
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Luis Enrique
    • Mauricio Pochettino
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Diego Simeone
    • John Terry
    • Frank Lampard
    • Ruben Amorim
    • Thomas Frank
    • Hansi Flick
    • Antonio Conte
    • Marco Silva
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Ange Postecoglou
    • Gareth Southgate
    • Marco Bielsa

This poll is closed to new votes

4 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Hmm. Is this because Nagelsmann has only just been sacked and needs time to get his act together? What does this say about Enrique who is available presumably right away? Or maybe neither manager wants to jump in at the end of a chaotic season? 

On Nagelsmann, it may be due to cost to acquire him since he is still on Bayern's payroll. That being said, not sure what financial difference it makes going for him now vs the summer, provided he would still be available anyway. 

I can’t work out how I feel Lampard coming back the remainder of the season. Part of me welcomes it and think it may bring a bit of much needed feel good factor back to the bridge and also a link back to the glorious past (playing days), but as a manager, I can’t see him doing too much… although he’ll get some passion back into the players and they’d all probably respect him more.

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I can’t work out how I feel Lampard coming back the remainder of the season. Part of me welcomes it and think it may bring a bit of much needed feel good factor back to the bridge and also a link back to the glorious past (playing days), but as a manager, I can’t see him doing too much… although he’ll get some passion back into the players and they’d all probably respect him more.

An additional thought, what if the new permanent manager agreed to take him on as assistant… that I’d be very happy with.

• Agree 1

Does actually make a bit of sense, certainly everyone will get behind Frank for the rest of the season and who knows he could go on to win the champions league with would just be incredible.

It does puzzle me slightly though, I could understand a new manager not wanting to come in right now, as we are such a mess, but we are a week away from a Champions League quarter final against Real Madrid. It's a complete free hit.

It makes me think we are leaning towards Nagelsmann though as I can't see why Luis Enrique would want to wait.

Be amazing to keep Lampard on board in some capacity, maybe as the new managers assistant?

Edited by martin1905
  • Like 1

This is madness all round.

We're not going to win the Champions League.

We're not going to get relegated.

Let Bruno Saltor stay until the end of the season and keep things ticking over until BIG CHANGES happen in the summer.

I love Frank with all my heart but this smacks of a populist appointment to suck up to us supporters.

What is Frank thinking?  He doesn't need the money.  If he does a good job he'll still be going.  If he does a bad job, I dread to think.....

Support us from the stands Frank.  Other things are best left.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Does actually make a bit of sense, certainly everyone will get behind Frank for the rest of the season and who knows he could go on to win the champions league with would just be incredible.

It does puzzle me slightly though, I could understand a new manager not wanting to come in right now, as we are such a mess, but we are a week away from a Champions League quarter final against Real Madrid. It's a complete free hit.

It makes me think we are leaning towards Nagelsmann though as I can't see why Luis Enrique would want to wait.

Be amazing to keep Lampard on board in some capacity, maybe as the new managers assistant?

Or someone in a job who may be available at the end of the season, Don Carlo…

Wow didn’t see this coming. Not sure what this says ! Maybe any new manager just don’t want to be a part of this right now? They want to start afresh in the summer with pre-season? Maybe Boehly and co are really going to draw this process out and interview many more candidates? Maybe Bruno is just to close the Potter set up to see any significant change?

It’s all a little bizarre and confusing really. Kind of ironic if Wolves away is Franks first game, as that same fixture was the turning point for me with Frank as manager.

6 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

An additional thought, what if the new permanent manager agreed to take him on as assistant… that’s I’d be very happy with.

Yes actually, me too.  If Frank was willing to take a step down.  I think it should have been like this to begin with.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

The more I think of this, the more I warm to this idea. It’s a free hit for Frank, it should give the players some sort of lift. I would expect we will pick up results and performances. It’s an interesting one for sure.

It will also get the stadium absolutely rocking.

I know I was very vocal against him last time but this is completely different and I think everyone would get behind it. 

It might not be ideal but if it gets us through to the end of the season and insures we get the right man to come in the summer it makes a lot of sense. 

I watched the interview with Bruno and felt he clearly didn't want to be in this position so best to let him be on his way as soon as possible in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

32 minutes ago, Bison said:

This is incredibly funny. 

We're a total car crash.

Whoever these idiots sacked Potter for has turned them down, haven't they?

Lampard is an absolute legend and a terrific guy. I adore him.

He's an absolutely bloody dreadful coach. Worse than Potter. This is madness.

1 minute ago, thevelourfog said:

We're a total car crash.

Write this season off. Don't let it negatively impact you. Learning curve for new owners and all that. Let's see what happens after summer. 

We're a total car crash.

I don’t think we have been turned down. I genuinely think they are buying some time and maybe have been told current candidates want to wait until the summer. Which I fully get and predicted really. This would be a horrible time to take over, and we are so close to the end with little to play for, there is no need to take the job on now. 
That’s how I see it. They messed up by not having a thorough process when appointing Potter. They are not going down that route again.

3 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

We're a total car crash.

I think he will do much better just because I think the match going fans will get fully behind him, that and it can't possibly be any worse than it has been.

Just now, martin1905 said:

I think he will do much better just because I think the match going fans will get fully behind him, that and it can't possibly be any worse than it has been.

I don't think the fans being behind him is going to matter at all, not to performances and results. It didn't matter a single jot last time. Which is kinda fine, because for the next 7 or 8 weeks, results don't really matter beyond two games.

A big worry for me, and I think you also, was what long term impact it might have on morale, ability and plain desire to be here for players to receive rubbish coaching. In that sense, Potter out and Lampard in for a few weeks seems profoundly pointless to me.

2 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

I don’t think we have been turned down. I genuinely think they are buying some time and maybe have been told current candidates want to wait until the summer. Which I fully get and predicted really. This would be a horrible time to take over, and we are so close to the end with little to play for, there is no need to take the job on now. 
That’s how I see it. They messed up by not having a thorough process when appointing Potter. They are not going down that route again.

All speculation isn't it. It makes me think, though, that they knew who they wanted and thought they could get them straight away. And in that sense, they've been told no. I imagine they are being thorough, but a professional outfit is thorough in vetting candidates before it sacks the outgoing manager, not after. For me, this stinks of not having a plan.

4 minutes ago, DannyLB said:

Write this season off. Don't let it negatively impact you. Learning curve for new owners and all that. Let's see what happens after summer. 

Hey, maybe I'll get what I wanted all along am Tuchel will replace Lampard again!

I don't think the fans being behind him is going to matter at all, not to performances and results. It didn't matter a single jot last time. Which is kinda fine, because for the next 7 or 8 weeks, results don't really matter beyond two games.

A big worry for me, and I think you also, was what long term impact it might have on morale, ability and plain desire to be here for players to receive rubbish coaching. In that sense, Potter out and Lampard in for a few weeks seems profoundly pointless to me.

All speculation isn't it. It makes me think, though, that they knew who they wanted and thought they could get them straight away. And in that sense, they've been told no. I imagine they are being thorough, but a professional outfit is thorough in vetting candidates before it sacks the outgoing manager, not after. For me, this stinks of not having a plan.

Hey, maybe I'll get what I wanted all along am Tuchel will replace Lampard again!

I agree on the plan front. I don’t think there was a plan in place when we sacked Potter. I almost think they have hit the reset button and are now going through the process they should have gone through, once they decided to sack Tuchel.

Deep down, they know they ballsed up on many fronts with Potter!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1