Who will the next permanent Chelsea manager be?

Who should be next Chelsea manager?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• Julian Nagelsmann
    • Bruno Saltor
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Luis Enrique
    • Mauricio Pochettino
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Diego Simeone
    • John Terry
    • Frank Lampard
    • Ruben Amorim
    • Thomas Frank
    • Hansi Flick
    • Antonio Conte
    • Marco Silva
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Ange Postecoglou
    • Gareth Southgate
    • Marco Bielsa

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, thevelourfog said:

I don't think the fans being behind him is going to matter at all, not to performances and results. It didn't matter a single jot last time. Which is kinda fine, because for the next 7 or 8 weeks, results don't really matter beyond two games.

A big worry for me, and I think you also, was what long term impact it might have on morale, ability and plain desire to be here for players to receive rubbish coaching. In that sense, Potter out and Lampard in for a few weeks seems profoundly pointless to me.

I mean more that we could potentially just see a much, much better atmosphere at the grounds and that in itself could have a positive impact.

We will also see players playing in their correct positions.

Doubt we will see a back 5.

But yes, I agree on the long term impact it could have although not sure a few extra weeks will make much difference in all fairness.

1 minute ago, thevelourfog said:

All speculation isn't it. It makes me think, though, that they knew who they wanted and thought they could get them straight away. And in that sense, they've been told no. I imagine they are being thorough, but a professional outfit is thorough in vetting candidates before it sacks the outgoing manager, not after. For me, this stinks of not having a plan.

Hey, maybe I'll get what I wanted all along am Tuchel will replace Lampard again!

He's only got a 50% win ratio so not for me......

7 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

But yes, I agree on the long term impact it could have although not sure a few extra weeks will make much difference in all fairness.

I agree there, tbf. I don't see this being disastrous for us, even if only because you can't make bin fire more on fire. But bloody hell, the sheer self-destructive pointlessness of this season.

Truly the banter years.

20 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Lampard is an absolute legend and a terrific guy. I adore him.

He's an absolutely bloody dreadful coach. Worse than Potter. This is madness.

Worse over the period of their managerial careers, sure. 

Worse over the next 10 or 11 games, not so sure.  Potter had clearly lost the dressing room and the owners obviously felt a change was needed.  By some accounts this Bruno guy doesn’t want to be around, so we need someone who can slot in quickly and see us through till the end of the season.

I suspect the likes of Thiago Silva, Reece, Mount, Chilly, Azpi, Kante etc will welcome a familiar face around the place,  and he will galvanise the squad / support in the short term.   

Don’t have a problem with it whatsoever, if it means getting the right guy in the summer.  Our season is effectively over. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I agree there, tbf. I don't see this being disastrous for us, even if only because you can't make bin fire more on fire. But bloody hell, the sheer self-destructive pointlessness of this season.

Truly the banter years.

If its true then it has to be Nagelsmann next season as reports have been saying that he wanted some time off. 

53 minutes ago, JaneB said:

This is madness all round.

We're not going to win the Champions League.

We're not going to get relegated.

Let Bruno Saltor stay until the end of the season and keep things ticking over until BIG CHANGES happen in the summer.

I love Frank with all my heart but this smacks of a populist appointment to suck up to us supporters.

What is Frank thinking?  He doesn't need the money.  If he does a good job he'll still be going.  If he does a bad job, I dread to think.....

Support us from the stands Frank.  Other things are best left.

I don't agree Jane. I can't bear the thought of Potter ball for the rest of the season. And if we get knocked out by Madrid playing for the shirt then so be it. Better than going out and being told we played well but Madrid are a good side. Like you said we're not getting relegated so give Frank another roll of the dice and get a gig as assistant next season.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, Mark Kelly said:

If its true then it has to be Nagelsmann next season as reports have been saying that he wanted some time off. 

Maybe. I think the type of character Enrique is , I can well see him saying I will start fresh in the summer. This period to end of season is just a headache they don’t need.

I don’t think the decision on Lamps means it’s Nagelsmann.

30 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

We're a total car crash.

Whoever these idiots sacked Potter for has turned them down, haven't they?

Lampard is an absolute legend and a terrific guy. I adore him.

He's an absolutely bloody dreadful coach. Worse than Potter. This is madness.

All goodwill has gone out of the window. There wasn't much left after Tuchel but the tank is empty. I can see this getting worse, a hell of a lot worse, before we start to see some light at the end of the tunnel. 

Completely disagree with a lot of the comments above!

Frank's a half-decent manager who will do well enough until the end of the season.

Astute way to get the fans back on side and much preferable to Saltor.

I think Frank chose his jobs poorly and needed to spend longer earning his stripes.

But he's great at galvanising a mood and did well enough with us and at Derby.

Would I prefer Nags in now? Sure. But if we have to wait Frank is a great choice.

Not sure where it leaves us in the CL - but frank-ly I think we're out soon anyway.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Worse over the period of their managerial careers, sure. 

Worse over the next 10 or 11 games, not so sure.  Potter had clearly lost the dressing room and the owners obviously felt a change was needed.  By some accounts this Bruno guy doesn’t want to be around, so we need someone who can slot in quickly and see us through till the end of the season.

I suspect the likes of Thiago Silva, Reece, Mount, Chilly, Azpi, Kante etc will welcome a familiar face around the place,  and he will galvanise the squad / support in the short term.   

Don’t have a problem with it whatsoever, if it means getting the right guy in the summer.  Our season is effectively over. 

100% agree.

10 minutes ago, Bison said:

All goodwill has gone out of the window. There wasn't much left after Tuchel but the tank is empty. I can see this getting worse, a hell of a lot worse, before we start to see some light at the end of the tunnel. 

It's not that bad from my perspective, I honestly feared they wouldn't sack Potter and in doing so they clawed some goodwill back for me. 

Bringing back Lampard whilst comical is them trying to salvage things after Potter and it's only until the close season. 

This is certainly not inside info and could be Chinese whispers,  but I know a guy who works in sports modelling. He messaged me earlier to say he has heard from someone that their is an obscure name on the list of who they may want to talk to.

Marcello Gallardo’s name has apparently cropped up.

I can’t see that myself, but thought it was interesting nonetheless. 

3 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

This is certainly not inside info and could be Chinese whispers,  but I know a guy who works in sports modelling. He messaged me earlier to say he has heard from someone that their is an obscure name on the list of who they may want to talk to.

Stories today that Gallardo has himself let his availability be known. So if you're reading, Todd ...

2 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Stories today that Gallardo has himself let his availability be known. So if you're reading, Todd ...

I remember him as a player, can’t say I know much about him as a manager though.

It almost sounds so obscure, that it makes you think could be something in it.

The only obvious link I can see is possibly via Enzo in some capacity. 

Edited by Thiago97

I see no problem with Frank as interim ...at least he would feel like a Chelsea "person" and apart from somewhat cavalier dreams regarding RM and onward the season is finished.

Matters not who picks the side for all intents and purposes.

With the somewhat sepia (or should I say insipid) toned memory we will carry of GP and "brand" the idea of Frank being able to relax and not worry about job security etc just might produce a little joy on the pitch and warmth on the "terraces."

Still not at the 40 point safety mark!,,,something for Frank to aim for!

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

It's not that bad from my perspective, I honestly feared they wouldn't sack Potter and in doing so they clawed some goodwill back for me. 

Bringing back Lampard whilst comical is them trying to salvage things after Potter and it's only until the close season. 

Bringing back Lampard was the lowest hanging fruit available to the owners and they grasped it with both hands.

It's confirmation they and the several new sporting and technical directors they have hired are all utterly clueless. This is a certified clown show now and I really can't see a way back to seriousness any time soon.

I now expect Mourinho to be appointed in the summer. 

1 minute ago, Bison said:

Bringing back Lampard was the lowest hanging fruit available to the owners and they grasped it with both hands.

It's confirmation they and the several new sporting and technical directors they have hired are all utterly clueless. This is a certified clown show now and I really can't see a way back to seriousness any time soon.

I now expect Mourinho to be appointed in the summer. 

Completely disagree.

Great way to unify the club. 

Actually think it shows some willingness on their part to "go back to the previous regime" as previously it's felt like they wanted absolutely nothing to do with it.

37 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

One of the names I mentioned yesterday in my "rumours" list.

Two Copa Libertadores wins with River Plate but has never managed inn Europe (though he did play for Monaco and PSG in the early 2000s

Must say I'm very surprised but thinking about it I see it as a no lose appointment until the end of this season.. Also a wise decision to wait until the end of the season to appoint a permanent manager. Need a fresh start next season and I wouldn't like to see the new manager get off to a bad start losing lots of points at the fag end of this sorry season.

As for Enrique. Imho, he is not the big name or charismatic figure needed to give us the lift we need. Defo big no to him!

Go Frankie boy!🙂

• Agree 2

I mentioned a short while back the ugly anti Chelsea moronic input on the bbc/guardian comments sections.

RE Frank as interim...apart from the occasional two cell brain the one cell beings seem not to grasp the difference between "Interim" and Full time "Coach".

Reading through as best I could on the bbc effort most of the "comments" were not from Chelsea fans giving an opinion but from "others" who seem to think what THEY think about OUR club is a relevant factor.

Makes our Khobar Tribute look like high altitude debate! Somewhere we go to smile and tip our hat to one of us .

Whilst things went south towards the end of SFLs last term, he has better players in key positions now (including those who have improved since) plus he and the players have seen what instantly worked under TT in the run for the CL. 

He's unlikely to be the exact same coach he was when he left and will implement TT traits too (unless he's totally brainless). Football is fluid. Players evolve. Coaches evolve.

Don't judge current SFL on Everton. They're dogshite. 

• Like 1

Laughing out loud reading this Matt Law piece as he desperately tries to sell this as some sort of calculated move:

Appointing Lampard as a more experienced caretaker than acting head coach Bruno Saltor will give Chelsea greater breathing space in their manager hunt and also allow for the possibility of the next permanent head coach taking over in the summer.

Comedy gold. 

Sounds like we might fart around a bit to make our final decision.

Anyone else slightly concerned that we get too complacent, decide on Nagelsmann and lose our place in the pecking order because we spend weeks interview five candidates and he ends up questioning how much we wanted him anyway?

I'm all for a considered process but there was something about the decisiveness of Roman which filled with confidence.