Who will the next permanent Chelsea manager be?

Who should be next Chelsea manager?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• Julian Nagelsmann
    • Bruno Saltor
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Luis Enrique
    • Mauricio Pochettino
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Diego Simeone
    • John Terry
    • Frank Lampard
    • Ruben Amorim
    • Thomas Frank
    • Hansi Flick
    • Antonio Conte
    • Marco Silva
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Ange Postecoglou
    • Gareth Southgate
    • Marco Bielsa

This poll is closed to new votes

35 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Sky saying Enrique is in London for talks. 

Unambitious, dull appointment that would be!

Know much about him? I doubt it.

Charisma can clearly be subjective, according to you Tuchel had no charisma when you wanted him out. Yet I think most people would view Tuchel as quite charismatic figure.

10 hours ago, Holymoly said:

I reckon Frank's coming on board as player manager. Hopefully get a few goals out of the lad.

I mean, you joke - but even at 44, i'd put good money on him being by far the best finisher present on our training ground tomorrow.  (Assuming Sam Kerr isn't there of course). 

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Right, but nobody said otherwise. They got the appointment wrong, the atmosphere has gone toxic, and they are doing something to try and remedy that. I completely get that.

What's the preference? Rafa, or stick with Potter?  There can't be many managers available (good ones) who would be interested in an interim position. Appointing Frank, is a shot to nothing. We are going to finish between 7th and 11th whoever the manager is, so there is no real risk there.

The fact they are taking their time over recruiting a new, permanent manager, I am all for. Try and avoid the previous mistake they made with GP. 

Erm ... I didn't say anyone had said otherwise (although, hilariously, someone pretty much has since). This is the second time in two days that you've replied to me as if to suggest my preference is for Potter to still be here, when I've said no such thing and from memory I was very much a "Potter out!" early adopter on here.

Someone said they didn't get or like people being down on the owners. I responded with why people are down on them, i.e. that they have really obviously f**ked up. If you're going to disagree with me, can you at least disagree with what I posted? 

I don't think Lampard can do much damage, but that is precisely because there's basically no damage left to do. I agree with you on that. But cast your mind back to August 2022. Could you have imagined any set of circumstances that would have resulted in Frank Lampard being here as an interim, and fourth person to be in the dugout for us in the season, that would not be a series of tragicomic screw ups at the highest level? 

They have f**ked up. They can learn from that, and I hope they do.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

18 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Erm ... I didn't say anyone had said otherwise (although, hilariously, someone pretty much has since). This is the second time in two days that you've replied to me as if to suggest my preference is for Potter to still be here, when I've said no such thing and from memory I was very much a "Potter out!" early adopter on here.

Someone said they didn't get or like people being down on the owners. I responded with why people are down on them, i.e. that they have really obviously f**ked up. If you're going to disagree with me, can you at least disagree with what I posted? 

I don't think Lampard can do much damage, but that is precisely because there's basically no damage left to do. I agree with you on that. But cast your mind back to August 2022. Could you have imagined any set of circumstances that would have resulted in Frank Lampard being here as an interim, and fourth person to be in the dugout for us in the season, that would not be a series of tragicomic screw ups at the highest level? 

Imagine the hilarity if the new coach decides he will start this season after all and Lampard is let go after Wolves and Kante then plays his fifth game of the season under a fifth manager !

It's never boring being a Chelsea supporter . 

And you're absolutely spot on it's been farcical but I do think they're trying to put it right and square it with us .

8 hours ago, Original 21 said:

Bringing in an interim manager till the end of the season looks like we’re keeping the door open for Nagelsmann who likely isn’t in a position to take on a job right away.

It also gives Nagelsmann the option to see where PSG and Real Madrid stand with new manager appointments in the summer.

My guess is that Nagelsmann will choose one of those two over us and that would leave us with Enrique as a fall back option as he’s clearly stated he wants to come to England to manage. 

From what I've read and heard about Enrique, he's nobody's 'second choice'! If the club go for Naglesmann first, Enrique will walk away, whatever the outcome. So we could miss out on both.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

I agree there, tbf. I don't see this being disastrous for us, even if only because you can't make bin fire more on fire. But bloody hell, the sheer self-destructive pointlessness of this season.

Truly the banter years.

Hopefully in years to come we can look back on this season and laugh.

14 minutes ago, Blue Kratos said:

Hopefully in years to come we can look back on this season and laugh.

I have been laughing ever since we sacked Tuchel for Potter.

The comments from Boehly and Clearlake when they hired him is pure comedy:

Todd Boehly, chairman, said: ‘We are thrilled to bring Graham to Chelsea. He is a proven coach and an innovator in the Premier League who fits our vision for the Club. Not only is he extremely talented on the pitch, he has skills and capabilities that extend beyond the pitch which will make Chelsea a more successful Club. He has had a major impact at his previous Clubs and we look forward to his positive impact at Chelsea. We look forward to supporting him, his coaching team and the squad in realising their full potential in the coming months and years.’

Behdad Eghbali and José E. Feliciano, co-controlling owners, said: ‘Graham is a football innovator and winner on the pitch and a leader off the pitch. He has deeply impressed us with his ideas and approach to football. We are thrilled to partner with Graham to build a winning team, one that embodies the culture of collaboration, innovation, teamwork, player development, and a commitment to excellence on and off the pitch. We are fortunate to have Graham and his team as our partners in that journey.’

A football innovator, proven coach, skills and capabilities that extend beyond the pitch!

Looking forward to what they say about Lampard.

• Haha 1

Anyone else feel that Frank will see this as an audition for a permanent gig?

I’m not saying he’s the answer by the way, just wondering what his thought process is likely to be.  Let’s be honest, this is Chelsea and stranger things have happened. 

Also, on a similar note, what would he have to do in order for the owners to be obliged to keep him on?   To stretch the point, if he won every PL game and won us the CL,  they would have to consider him, wouldn’t they?   So where is the line?  Or does anything less than that mean that he’s gone? 

1 minute ago, Rob B said:

I’m not saying he’s the answer by the way, just wondering what his thought process is likely to be.  Let’s be honest, this is Chelsea and stranger things have happened. 

Also, on a similar note, what would he have to do in order for the owners to be obliged to keep him on?   To stretch the point, if he won every PL game and won us the CL,  they would have to consider him, wouldn’t they?   So where is the line?  Or does anything less than that mean that he’s gone? 

He could win every single game and I still wouldn't want him permanently.

He's rubbish.

36 minutes ago, Bison said:

I have been laughing ever since we sacked Tuchel for Potter.

The comments from Boehly and Clearlake when they hired him is pure comedy:

A football innovator, proven coach, skills and capabilities that extend beyond the pitch!

Looking forward to what they say about Lampard.

That really hasn't aged well has it?

I suppose making substitutions that actively make you worse every week could be considered innovative ?

• Like 1

4 managers in one season, I bet Amazon are kicking themselves for not following us this season for ‘All or nothing’.

I thought this season under new ownership would be tricky and throw up some odd moments, but Frank coming back in as interim Manager and the 4th one of the season, I definitely did not see coming!

2 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Again, I think we are maybe talking at cross purposes, and I certainly don't think you are a Potter fan

There is little point dwelling on the past mistakes. Right now, we are in a position, where, to me, it makes some sense to bring SFL back for a short term period, and from your reply, it would seem you are in agreement.

I wasn't defending the past 9 months of decisions, more defending this decision at this moment in time. I felt your post, the one I previously replied to, was criticizing this decision, which may not be the case.

Right now, today, I don't think it is a poor choice. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rob B said:

No. 

the more I think about it, the more it makes sense for him to give this a go. His reputation as a manager is in the gutter. If he does well for the last couple of months, he may repair some of that, and might help get a job in the summer. If he does badly, I don't think he will shoulder much blame anyway,

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Rob B said:

No, but if he does well it will do no harm to his chances in other jobs and even come back to us later on when he has proven himself as a manager.

21 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Not sure I agree with this Dave.

I'm still hoping for a Klopp-style legacy. Doesn't seem out of the question.

What is that one says about hope and man? Good for you mate, I think I’ve been permanently damaged and find myself incredibly cynical these days. 

18 hours ago, FrankLampard8 said:

Did you really not feel anything like that during Frank's time? A club legend at the helm, James, Tomori, Gilmour, Mount, Hudson-Odoi, Abraham in the squad. from the academy. Felt like a fun time to me and I was really proud of the club in his first season.

I did and yes, that team and set-up had potential to become what I was talking about. But the owner and bad transfer business ruined that. 

16 hours ago, Bison said:

This is incredibly funny. 

It is. Benny Hill stuff. 

16 hours ago, JaneB said:

This is madness all round.

We're not going to win the Champions League.

We're not going to get relegated.

Let Bruno Saltor stay until the end of the season and keep things ticking over until BIG CHANGES happen in the summer.

I love Frank with all my heart but this smacks of a populist appointment to suck up to us supporters.

What is Frank thinking?  He doesn't need the money.  If he does a good job he'll still be going.  If he does a bad job, I dread to think.....

Support us from the stands Frank.  Other things are best left.

100% this Jane. 

• Like 1