Who will the next permanent Chelsea manager be?

Who should be next Chelsea manager?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• Julian Nagelsmann
    • Bruno Saltor
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Luis Enrique
    • Mauricio Pochettino
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Diego Simeone
    • John Terry
    • Frank Lampard
    • Ruben Amorim
    • Thomas Frank
    • Hansi Flick
    • Antonio Conte
    • Marco Silva
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Ange Postecoglou
    • Gareth Southgate
    • Marco Bielsa

This poll is closed to new votes

What a mess this is, I honestly think we've downgraded on Potter. No offence to SFL but we already went down this road, like Potter he was out of his depth. 

I do wonder if Bruno has flat out refused to do the caretaker role. His press-conference on Monday wasn't exactly enthusiastic and nearly the whole backroom staff were Potters team. He has no attachment to Chelsea and would be unlikely to stay on once a  new manager has been appointed. Perhaps the real blind spot from the ownership was who would take temporary charge. Could there be a scenario where we still see a permanent manager before the season is out? 

One positive from this could be getting Joe Edwards ect back in the club, its clear we need a few stable Chelsea coach's to compliment any new backroom team. No point sacking the manager just to have their loyal number 2 take over.

Edited by Willian Dollar Baby

27 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Apparently , Ashley Cole and Joe Edwards

If frank comes back would not be surprised to see either Myers or Mekelle promoted to work with the first team.

Also, If he gets the gig, IMO 5 or 6 players from his previous gig at the club are nailed on starters. I the word of Kylie "Better the devil you know."

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

What a mess this is, I honestly think we've downgraded on Potter.

The question isn't - is Frank a better manager than Potter?

The question is - could the fans stomach Potter until the end of the season?

And - could bringing back Frank rejuvenate the fans for the last few games?

To questions 2 + 3 - I am answering a big fat (frank) no and yes!

Edited by Max Fowler
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

One positive from this could be getting Joe Edwards ect back in the club, its clear we need a few stable Chelsea coach's to compliment any new backroom team. No point sacking the manager just to have their loyal number 2 take over.

I have been wondering if Clearlake realise they ballsed up a bit clearing out all the Chelsea folks eg Petr Cech, and if appointing Frank is maybe a way to sneak a few back in and try and hang on to them to work under the next manager. Who knows if maybe Frank has decided management isn't for him and he would prefer to live a settled life at his home in Cobham, maybe he has agreed to be an assistant coach.  (I doubt it though)

19 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

The question is - could the fans stomach Potter until the end of the season?

And - could bringing back Frank rejuvenate the fans for the last few games?

They might be your questions, but I have no idea why anyone would think either was on Clearlake's radar, never mind anything like top of the list. Decisions aren't being made about the club's internal operations based on what fans think, and on balance that is a good thing!

The question would have been "the old coach's staff were only willing to stick around for a day or two, we can't get who we want in right now, we literally don't have anyone to take training or pick a team ... who on Earth would be willing to step into this complete and utter mess without the reward of a long contract and huge pay off?". And I suppose the club legend with nothing to do right now and no prospects of a better offer coming in would have been the only answer. 

Lampard is here because somebody has to be and the options are vanishingly small. Bruno would likely have been here until May if he wasn't in love with Potter.

6 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

They might be your questions, but I have no idea why anyone would think either was on Clearlake's radar, never mind anything like top of the list. Decisions aren't being made about the club's internal operations based on what fans think, and on balance that is a good thing!

The question would have been "the old coach's staff were only willing to stick around for a day or two, we can't get who we want in right now, we literally don't have anyone to take training or pick a team ... who on Earth would be willing to step into this complete and utter mess without the reward of a long contract and huge pay off?". And I suppose the club legend with nothing to do right now and no prospects of a better offer coming in would have been the only answer. 

Lampard is here because somebody has to be and the options are vanishingly small. Bruno would likely have been here until May if he wasn't in love with Potter.

Of course they are. As someone mentioned, this could cynically be seen as a PR move. But a big part of the reason Frank is coming in is to rebuild the atmosphere in the club and rebuild the connection to the fans.

Enough of the "decisions aren't being made on what fans think" comments. The fans were the reason Potter left as quickly as he did and Boehly and co. are clearly concerned about how they are being perceived right now. 

Well it's nothing if not an adventure, is it?

The appointment of an interim manager until the end of the season appears to point to one of two likely courses: either the job is Nagelsman's and he can't/won't come until next season, or Clearlake have decided to take a long time over the selection of the new manager, which would seem to mitigate against Luis Enrique, who by all accounts went all out to get the job and was available immediately, but was not preferentially selected.

What larks, eh Pip.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Of course they are. As someone mentioned, this could cynically be seen as a PR move. But a big part of the reason Frank is coming in is to rebuild the atmosphere in the club and rebuild the connection to the fans.

Enough of the "decisions aren't being made on what fans think" comments. The fans were the reason Potter left as quickly as he did and Boehly and co. are clearly concerned about how they are being perceived right now. 

Max, just saying "of course they are" isn't much of a rationale.

It's really, in it's own way quite painfully, clear that Chelsea FC (and not just Chelsea FC) don't make decisions on who plays for them or coaches them based on what fans think. For so many reasons. They don't all think the same way, for one! But this is something you're clearly committed to believing, so I won't argue the point with you.

If it is a cynical PR move and that's the basis decisions this big are made on ... Well, that is not quite the fan power I'd imagine many hope to have.

It seems fairly self evident that Bruno, being a Potter loyalist, was uncomfortable with the idea of carrying on until the end of the season and we needed to get a club man in to see us through the managerial selection process. What better man (apart from JT of course) than SFL to hold the reins until we make the decision? At least we can guarantee effort and club knowledge from his appointment and maybe, just maybe a little Champions League bonus!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Right, but nobody said otherwise. They got the appointment wrong, the atmosphere has gone toxic, and they are doing something to try and remedy that. I completely get that.

What's the preference? Rafa, or stick with Potter?  There can't be many managers available (good ones) who would be interested in an interim position. Appointing Frank, is a shot to nothing. We are going to finish between 7th and 11th whoever the manager is, so there is no real risk there.

The fact they are taking their time over recruiting a new, permanent manager, I am all for. Try and avoid the previous mistake they made with GP. 

Well exactly. Moan like fck to get rid of Potter then moan like fck because we got no coach and we are in a bit of limbo.  Believe it or not I intend to enjoy the rest of the season . I got my twenty quid at 14/1 for us to lift the cup with big ears , Frank will do his very best I’m sure ( 7th 8th 9th does it matter) . 
oh and as a bit of tongue in cheek I voted for SFL to be next permanent coach but only because some moron voted for Fatty. Thought I’d balance the scales. 

I must say that the new ownership is doing their outmost to be outright laughed at. I can honestly say I’d be doing a much better job at steering Vhekeea back towards the top compared to the current incumbents. 

Lordy lord. This is quickly going from bad to worse. I simply cannot see any scenario where this doesn’t come back to haunt us. If Lampard does well, he still won’t get the job and the fans will be upset. If he does badly, we have dragged a club legends back over the burning coals for no good reason whatsoever. I’m actually surprised Lampard has accepted this. If I were in his shoes I’d have said thanks but no thanks. 

5 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Well exactly. Moan like fck to get rid of Potter then moan like fck because we got no coach and we are in a bit of limbo.  Believe it or not I intend to enjoy the rest of the season . I got my twenty quid at 14/1 for us to lift the cup with big ears , Frank will do his very best I’m sure ( 7th 8th 9th does it matter) . 
oh and as a bit of tongue in cheek I voted for SFL to be next permanent coach but only because some moron voted for Fatty. Thought I’d balance the scales. 

Any better to moan about people moaning?

These are somewhat surprising reactions to the very white bread take "these owners have really messed up this season". I guess the thing to do is assume anyone upset with that take thinks they've done a fabulous job!

11 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Any better to moan about people moaning?

These are somewhat surprising reactions to the very white bread take "these owners have really messed up this season". I guess the thing to do is assume anyone upset with that take thinks they've done a fabulous job!

I hate to see all this moaning about people moaning about people moaning.