Who will the next permanent Chelsea manager be?

Who should be next Chelsea manager?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• Julian Nagelsmann
    • Bruno Saltor
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Luis Enrique
    • Mauricio Pochettino
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Diego Simeone
    • John Terry
    • Frank Lampard
    • Ruben Amorim
    • Thomas Frank
    • Hansi Flick
    • Antonio Conte
    • Marco Silva
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Ange Postecoglou
    • Gareth Southgate
    • Marco Bielsa

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

As an audition for a permanent job elsewhere, most likely. At Chelsea? I genuinely hope he's not that deluded.

Do you know what Bob, some of my happiest Chelsea memories EVER were that first season under Lamps. It made my heart sing seeing those academy lads strut their  stuff. In fact I  had a dipper come and shake my hand in admiration ( I washed it afterwards of course….and checked my wallet) . My God we played some lovely football ..not every game but enough to impress. He got top 4 against all odds and should have won fa cup but we were cheated out of final horrifically . So looking back with hindsight, the net season Frank was given the likes of Werner, Havertz and Zyech and told to push for the title. The squad was bloated because we couldn’t offload who we wanted ( Covid was everywhere and messing stuff up) and most new players we now know were shite.  They still are. They did for Tuchel and they did for Potter. I have never ever seen such ineptness in front of goal from a Chelsea team…Jesus I’d put Tommy Langley in there now. If we scored half the chances we should have,  Lampard would have stayed , so would Tuchel and so would Potter. I honestly would have kept Alonso and put him as a number 9.  
If you take off your angry face , some of our moves are a delight to the eye. The ball always ends up in row z however , but the lead ups are quite lovely. 

( oh and Kante is not finished btw….some here had written his obituary)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

34 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Max, just saying "of course they are" isn't much of a rationale.

It's really, in it's own way quite painfully, clear that Chelsea FC (and not just Chelsea FC) don't make decisions on who plays for them or coaches them based on what fans think. For so many reasons. They don't all think the same way, for one! But this is something you're clearly committed to believing, so I won't argue the point with you.

If it is a cynical PR move and that's the basis decisions this big are made on ... Well, that is not quite the fan power I'd imagine many hope to have.

I mean there's reports about how shocked they were about the fan outrage directed at Graham Potter.

Reports that Boehly is active on social media and Chelsea fan groups and actively wants to listen to them.

Look at the way the announcement starts - it just seems common sense why they hired Frank:

"Our all-time record goalscorer has agreed a deal until the end of the season to take become our caretaker manager following the departure of Graham Potter, with his first game in charge set to be this weekend when we travel to Wolves."

To me, the real question is not, did Boehly try to appease the fans by hiring Lampard as manager?"
That seems to me to be a clear an obvious YES.

The question is - is Frank up for the job and is it worth hiring him considering we have a chance at winning the CL?

Edited by Max Fowler

19 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Any better to moan about people moaning?

These are somewhat surprising reactions to the very white bread take "these owners have really messed up this season". I guess the thing to do is assume anyone upset with that take thinks they've done a fabulous job!

Or to moan about people moaning because they were moaning about people moaning. 
Besides, saying cheer up is not moaning , it’s trying to get people a little more positive. Something I have been trying and failing to do all season. 

10 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I mean there's reports about how shocked they were about the fan outrage directed at Graham Potter.

Reports that Boehly is active on social media and Chelsea fan groups and actively wants to listen to them.

Look at the way the announcement starts - it just seems common sense why they hired Frank:

"Our all-time record goalscorer has agreed a deal until the end of the season to take become our caretaker manager following the departure of Graham Potter, with his first game in charge set to be this weekend when we travel to Wolves."

To me, the real question is not, did Boehly try to appease the fans by hiring Lampard as manager?"
That seems to me to be a clear an obvious YES.

The question is - is Frank up for the job and is it worth hiring him considering we have a chance at winning the CL?

Imo Frank needs to do one thing urgently….have a little chat with Auba and see where his heads at.  He is our only striker. 

• Agree 1

OK, own up - which of you is Todd in disguise? Is that why Droy vanished?

is Frank up for the job and is it worth hiring him considering we have a chance at winning the CL?

If Robbie could do it, then why not Frank? Good luck to the man - always rated him as a player, and his period as manager can't have been easy. We've seen what a drag it is having a manager we don't like, so I'm going to relish the next matches. (Is that positive enough for you, @NoblyBobly?

4 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Or to moan about people moaning because they were moaning about people moaning. 
Besides, saying cheer up is not moaning , it’s trying to get people a little more positive. Something I have been trying and failing to do all season. 

(Or to moan about people moaning because they were moaning about people moaning because they were moaning about people moaning because they were moaning)

Just now, Blue Moon said:

If Robbie could do it, then why not Frank? Good luck to the man - always rated him as a player, and his period as manager can't have been easy. We've seen what a drag it is having a manager we don't like, so I'm going to relish the next matches. (Is that positive enough for you, @NoblyBobly?

I mean Boehly gone in trouble for liking a tweet saying Cucurella is not good enough for this club.

Plus the video of him walking down the street berating the Everton performance like a fan.

Would have never happened to Roman.

2 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Imo Frank needs to do one thing urgently….have a little chat with Auba and see where his heads at.  He is our only striker. 

We also have Fofana.

Media keep saying we "didn't buy Potter a striker". Well we did - he just might not have been good enough...

2 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

David Fofana? 

He’s worth a crack. I just know bugger all about him. Looked interesting, got injured, got confused with the other Fofana ( common name) and here we are still goalless. Auba has a pedigree if his mind is right. 

7 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

Thank you sir, I am beholden to you 🫶

6 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

This is why we shouldn't hire Poch. Thankfully, he doesn't seem our first choice.

image.png

I get he might not be a popular choice but that's based mostly on petty rivalries , if they can employ both Mourinho and Conte I feel sure we could suck up the appointment of Poch. 

He'd be m third choice after the other two but if he won the rights it wouldn't worry me in the slightest .

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I must say that the new ownership is doing their outmost to be outright laughed at. I can honestly say I’d be doing a much better job at steering Vhekeea back towards the top compared to the current incumbents. 

Lordy lord. This is quickly going from bad to worse. I simply cannot see any scenario where this doesn’t come back to haunt us. If Lampard does well, he still won’t get the job and the fans will be upset. If he does badly, we have dragged a club legends back over the burning coals for no good reason whatsoever. I’m actually surprised Lampard has accepted this. If I were in his shoes I’d have said thanks but no thanks. 

If you had woken up in their shoes on Monday morning, what would you have done?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

I get he might not be a popular choice but that's based mostly on petty rivalries , if they can employ both Mourinho and Conte I feel sure we could suck up the appointment of Poch. 

He'd be m third choice after the other two but if he won the rights it wouldn't worry me in the slightest .

I would say Jose and Conte's reigns at Spurs aren't a glowing endorsement of why we should be willing to hire Pochettino.

Football is partisan and emotional and it's what makes it great. These feelings matter because the first time it goes wrong the fans would be after Pochettino - so why make the appointment when you know that extra failure point is there? It's the same way that the first time there was any sign of cracks the Everton fans were always going to go after Benitez despite him being the best manager they've had on paper for a while.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, FrankLampard8 said:

I would say Jose and Conte's reigns at Spurs aren't a glowing endorsement of why we should be willing to hire Pochettino.

Football is partisan and emotional and it's what makes it great. These feelings matter because the first time it goes wrong the fans would be after Pochettino - so why make the appointment when you know that extra failure point is there? It's the same way that the first time there was any sign of cracks the Everton fans were always going to go after Benitez despite him being the best manager they've had on paper for a while.

Bang on the money!!!!! Completely agree. Fans are already suspicious after Tuchel sacking.

We, perhaps especially now, need a top level candidate that can UNITE THE FANS!

I don't see a downside to this, for either party. The league is gone, we're going to finish no lower than 11th and if Frank is able to show them pictures of what a goal looks like there is the chance of rising a couple of positions. The CL is there, for now too, who knows? My theory is that he is there to improve the players' confidence so that they go into pre-season at least on an even keel, maybe even increase the stock value of some that we are intending to get rid of.

As far as Frank is concerned its a chance at redemption in some eyes although I don't think he's actually as bad as some would make out. He did a job in his first club. When he came here being forced to play the kids he got us into the CL and in his second year he was top of the league in December. He had a run of six poor results and was out. He went to Everton where they were in freefall under FSW and kept them up. Again in the second year he had a run of poor results and was out. If SFL can show some sort of improvement in our results then he will be able to command another Premier League club appointment.

Finally I would go back to my point about his first season with us and moulding the kids. He may be expected to try and get a tune out of the kids we've bought over the last year, none of which are pulling up trees. He's certainly got a shot of achieving something there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Is Lampard a better manager than Potter? No, probably not, but what Lampard is that Potter isn’t is a born winner. Frank has that elite winning mentality from his playing days, that can rub off on players. One of the big issues with Potter was that he was still acting and talking like he was managing Brighton, Lampard won’t do that, he knows what it’s like to be at a club this size.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Regarding Nagelsmann or Enrique I would say the former as he has the better English and will be less reliant on interpreters, although Enrique probably has the more experience, albeit much of it in international football. Probably Nagelsmann will be less of a culture shock for the squad after Lampard.

2 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

I don't see a downside to this, for either party. The league is gone, we're going to finish no lower than 11th and if Frank is able to show them pictures of what a goal looks like there is the chance of rising a couple of positions. The CL is there, for now too, who knows? My theory is that he is there to improve the players' confidence so that they go into pre-season at least on an even keel, maybe even increase the stock value of some that we are intending to get rid of.

As far as Frank is concerned its a chance at redemption in some eyes although I don't think he's actually as bad as some would make out. He did a job in his first club. When he came here being forced to play the kids he got us into the CL and in his second year he was top of the league in December. He had a run of six poor results and was out. He went to Everton where they were in freefall under FSW and kept them up. Again in the second year he had a run of poor results and was out. If SFL can show some sort of improvement in our results then he will be able to command another Premier League club appointment.

Finally I would go back to my point about his first season with us and moulding the kids. He may be expected to try and get a tune out of the kids we've bought over the last year, none of which are pulling up trees. He's certainly got a shot of achieving something there.

Completely agree with all of this, it’s exactly how I see it as well. It’s a smart move from the owners and a no brainier for Frank to take the job. As I said elsewhere, it gives us fans a reason to stay engaged for the remainder of the league season and get a good atmosphere back at The Bridge.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1