Who will the next permanent Chelsea manager be?

Who should be next Chelsea manager?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• Julian Nagelsmann
    • Bruno Saltor
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Luis Enrique
    • Mauricio Pochettino
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Diego Simeone
    • John Terry
    • Frank Lampard
    • Ruben Amorim
    • Thomas Frank
    • Hansi Flick
    • Antonio Conte
    • Marco Silva
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Ange Postecoglou
    • Gareth Southgate
    • Marco Bielsa

This poll is closed to new votes

5 hours ago, paulw66 said:

If you had woken up in their shoes on Monday morning, what would you have done?

Well, for one I would not have sacked Potter. Not because I think he deserved time or did a good job. Mainly because there’s very little to gain from such actions We would not have been relegated and we won’t make any European competition next year. Much better to let Potter clown himself out for the rest of the season and then really make sure you position yourself to get your top man. 

If I had to live with the poor decision to sack him I’d have managed the rest of the season with Saltor. If they missed to do their due diligence and Saltor has refused to go on then you’re asking the impossible from me. No way would I sack a manager without knowing who I have for the rest of the season. If I would have had such a brain fart then the last person I’d have signed up would have been Frank. I’d much rather go with anyone really. There is simply nothing to be gained from going with Frank. 

57 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Here's a suggestion: Why don't we wait and see how Frank does, before we criticise the club for making this decision ?

Some people are never happy!

Agree. He has good positive energy, personal knowledge of most of the squad and a point to prove. He is a big influence on Mount and he did well in his first season with us. He understands the club, the support and can get everyone pulling in the same direction. For 11 (or 14) games, there is nothing to lose and much to gain. GP was on a trajectory to lose 5, draw 3 and win 3. We can do better than that. Good luck Frank.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

One can only hope the club is shroud enough to get an agreement with the next head coach before the end of the season, allowing him time to study the squad from a distance, ensuring he can have an input on who is punted before 30-Jun.

The clubs sporting department should not have sole responsibly for the playing staff.

7 hours ago, chara said:

By the same token there is really nothing to lose.

On the surface it's a short term fill in solution not THE solution at this time.

GP was dragging my Chelsea spirit down and grinding through the rest of the season with him....whilst making no real difference EPL standing wise...would have felt like death by a thousand paper cuts to me!

Frank is a Chelsea face and that in itself is an improvement without worrying about the next Coach until every candidate has been...hopefully..properly assessed.

I disagree. As an owner there is a lot he to be lost. If Frank comes in, does a good job and manages 2+ points per game while settling on a starting XI fans will expect him to stay. If the owners then let him go regardless and ends up with someone doing worse I’m not sure the owners will be able to repair that… 

Due to his status at the club, and standing with the fans there’s a lot to be lost and absolutely nothing to be gained. It’s a very stupid move imo. 

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I disagree. As an owner there is a lot he to be lost. If Frank comes in, does a good job and manages 2+ points per game while settling on a starting XI fans will expect him to stay. If the owners then let him go regardless and ends up with someone doing worse I’m not sure the owners will be able to repair that… 

Due to his status at the club, and standing with the fans there’s a lot to be lost and absolutely nothing to be gained. It’s a very stupid move imo. 

Whilst this is possible. I also think it’s an unlikely scenario.

I think the worse case scenario is he comes back and does so well, that slightly naive owners give him the gig full time on a 4 year deal.

I think most of the Chelsea fans who didn’t t want him sacked, with hindsight have seen the difference Tuchel made when he replaced Frank, and are also seeing the early difference Dych has made when replacing Frank. Even if he does exceptional and ends up winning the CL and we go unbeaten until end of the season, I still don’t think many will be seduced by 12-14 games .

I’m in the camp of this is a good no brainier decision to give it Frank until end of the season. It should provide a positive lift and it takes away from a new manager coming in at a terrible time, when really it will be the new manager with nothing to gain by taking over now.

My only worry is that the owners end up feeling obliged to give it full time to Frank, but we have history there and I am sure there are some people at the club who will red flag that history.

Hopefully it gives Frank a chance to get back in somewhere for next season too. This time making a better choice of what role he is offered, something along the lines of what his first job in management was. That’s the stage his career is at right now. 

Edited by Thiago97
  • Agree 2

17 hours ago, Holymoly said:

Regarding Nagelsmann or Enrique I would say the former as he has the better English and will be less reliant on interpreters, although Enrique probably has the more experience, albeit much of it in international football. Probably Nagelsmann will be less of a culture shock for the squad after Lampard.

And you know sometimes the owner might like to have a quiet personal chats with his coach without the aid of an interpreter.

Imagine :  TB ….. “ Luis can we have a chat about xyz because I need to clarify something with you?”

LE……” Que?”

If I were Todd NG would be my man. 

39 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

And you know sometimes the owner might like to have a quiet personal chats with his coach without the aid of an interpreter.

Imagine :  TB ….. “ Luis can we have a chat about xyz because I need to clarify something with you?”

LE……” Que?”

If I were Todd NG would be my man. 

His English - accent apart - seems fine to me

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

maybe Todd can speak some Spanish, like many of our cousins from across the pond - Just a thought

9 hours ago, Thiago97 said:

I think the worse case scenario is he comes back and does so well, that slightly naive owners give him the gig full time on a 4 year deal.

I think most of the Chelsea fans who didn’t t want him sacked, with hindsight have seen the difference Tuchel made when he replaced Frank, and are also seeing the early difference Dych has made when replacing Frank. Even if he does exceptional and ends up winning the CL and we go unbeaten until end of the season, I still don’t think many will be seduced by 12-14 games .

I’m in the camp of this is a good no brainier decision to give it Frank until end of the season. It should provide a positive lift and it takes away from a new manager coming in at a terrible time, when really it will be the new manager with nothing to gain by taking over now.

My only worry is that the owners end up feeling obliged to give it full time to Frank, but we have history there and I am sure there are some people at the club who will red flag that history.

Hopefully it gives Frank a chance to get back in somewhere for next season too. This time making a better choice of what role he is offered, something along the lines of what his first job in management was. That’s the stage his career is at right now. 

The other scenario is that he doesn’t do very well at all and then we’ve dragged a club legend through the gutter once more for no good reason. 

The best case scenario is that he does better than Potter but still some way off what the owners and fans would expect. It’s the only way this can be seen as an acceptable move in hindsight. 

16 hours ago, Thiago97 said:

Well I won’t be wringing my hands nervously if he wins the CL league , I shall be doing doing back flips. It would be so feccing amazing to rub our haters noses in it. And If we need to attract the kind of CF we need and maybe even the kind of coach we need , we require CL football. 
But you know , to your third paragraph , in the big scheme of things I have not seen much of a difference in our performances since he left. It’s not as if Frank stunk the joint out for 18 months, he had a very bad run of results over the period of about 14 games and that did for him. It did for Tuchel and it did for Potter. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Well I won’t be wringing my hands nervously if he wins the CL league , I shall be doing doing back flips. It would be so feccing amazing to rub our haters noses in it. And If we need to attract the kind of CF we need and maybe even the kind of coach we need , we require CL football. 
But you know , to your third paragraph , in the big scheme of things I have not seen much of a difference in our performances since he left. It’s not as if Frank stunk the joint out for 18 months, he had a very bad run of results over the period of about 14 games and that did for him. It did for Tuchel and it did for Potter. 

Very true Nobly.When we beat Munich at their place I started to believe in fairytales.

It is likely we will bow out against Madrid,but I have this niggling feeling that the team under Lampard could suddenly burst into life.

We have top players then can make a top eleven against any team given proper coaching.

Unfortunately Potter has put this team(and us) in a semi coma.

It's probably too late for Lampard to do anything to increase our chances against Madrid and it's likely you are only allowed one fairytale to come true in life,if at all.

Someone mentioned it could be a pre - season before a pre - season if Potter was sacked.Let's hope Lampard can give us hope for next season even if he doesn't stay.

• Agree 1

On 06/04/2023 at 21:27, Sleeping Dave said:

Well, for one I would not have sacked Potter. Not because I think he deserved time or did a good job. Mainly because there’s very little to gain from such actions We would not have been relegated and we won’t make any European competition next year. Much better to let Potter clown himself out for the rest of the season and then really make sure you position yourself to get your top man. 

If I had to live with the poor decision to sack him I’d have managed the rest of the season with Saltor. If they missed to do their due diligence and Saltor has refused to go on then you’re asking the impossible from me. No way would I sack a manager without knowing who I have for the rest of the season. If I would have had such a brain fart then the last person I’d have signed up would have been Frank. I’d much rather go with anyone really. There is simply nothing to be gained from going with Frank. 

Do you not think Potter's position at the club had become untenable? I was as the Southampton, Everton and Villa games recently (even Leeds and Palace were painful) and I just couldn't see how he could stay. The atmosphere in the ground had become toxic. And to leave it in Bruno's hands, the guy who has worked with Potter since he joined BHA, I don't think would have cut it.

At least bringing back Frank means there might be a smidge of joy at the remaining games.

On 07/04/2023 at 06:33, Sleeping Dave said:

No, they wont. Everyone is on the same page here. 

If he does badly, it's on the owners / players. If he does well, he'll get a warm send off and thank you. 

• Agree 1

On 07/04/2023 at 17:41, Sleeping Dave said:

The other scenario is that he doesn’t do very well at all and then we’ve dragged a club legend through the gutter once more for no good reason. 

I mean, he could have said no. Nobody has put a gun to his head. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Do you not think Potter's position at the club had become untenable? I was as the Southampton, Everton and Villa games recently (even Leeds and Palace were painful) and I just couldn't see how he could stay. The atmosphere in the ground had become toxic. And to leave it in Bruno's hands, the guy who has worked with Potter since he joined BHA, I don't think would have cut it.

At least bringing back Frank means there might be a smidge of joy at the remaining games.

No, they wont. Everyone is on the same page here. 

If he does badly, it's on the owners / players. If he does well, he'll get a warm send off and thank you. 

I’m sorry but this is a tad naive. If a manager comes in and does well, fans and any sane person really, will expect that manager to stay on. The other option is suicidal for the owners. Club legend comes back and saves the club. He doesn’t get a  renewed contract and we replace him with someone who does a lot worse for us. 

Look at Hiddink, Di Matteo to name two in our most recent history. Temporary managers who were expected to stay on in the end. Those deals were exactly like this one with Frank. 

Anyhow, very unlikely we’ll get to deal with that scenario so no point discussing it further. We are more likely to have dragged a club legend through the mud for no good reason at all. We are badly managed and although that was also true under Roman, Boehy & Co has taken this to another level completely. I sincerely hope their stewardship of our club is shortlived. 

On 07/04/2023 at 09:24, Thiago97 said:

Yea Tuchel came in and we had an immediate impact. However, and this is something I think many fans have overlooked, that impact waned considerably as time went on. In Tuchels last 15 games for us I didn’t see much difference to Lampards tenure towards the end. I even predicted him to get sacked last summer, the writing was on the wall in capital letters. I just didn’t think they’d sack him 10 games into a Jew season. But again that just shows how badly they are running things. It’s like they just do things without thinking them through properly. 

I wish Tuchel very well at Bayern and as a CL winning manager here, he’s  rightly a legend. 

38 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

We are badly managed and although that was also true under Roman, Boehy & Co has taken this to another level completely. I sincerely hope their stewardship of our club is shortlived. 

I think they're not allowed to leave until 10 years are up so enjoy the ride .

Is  plummeting ever downwards considered a ride? 

3 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Look at Hiddink, Di Matteo to name two in our most recent history. Temporary managers who were expected to stay on in the end. Those deals were exactly like this one with Frank. 

You miss an important detail. Lampard has already been a proven failure here. There is not one fan I have spoken to either in real life, or online who wants Frank to be our next permanent manager, whatever happens over the next few weeks.

Moreover, Hiddink either didn't get offered, or didn't want the job, and Di Matteo got it and got booted out very quickly thereafter. 

3 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

We are more likely to have dragged a club legend through the mud for no good reason at all. 

I really don't get this bit.

Dragged? At gun point?

He could easily have said no.

On 08/04/2023 at 01:22, kev61 said:

It is likely we will bow out against Madrid,but I have this niggling feeling that the team under Lampard could suddenly burst into life.

Hopefully Wenesday night will finally put us out of our misery and destroy the remaining hope we have. Better the bullet to the head rather than death by a thousand cuts

14 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Hopefully Wenesday night will finally put us out of our misery and destroy the remaining hope we have. Better the bullet to the head rather than death by a thousand cuts

You want us to lose?

wow.