Who will the next permanent Chelsea manager be?

Who should be next Chelsea manager?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• Julian Nagelsmann
    • Bruno Saltor
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Luis Enrique
    • Mauricio Pochettino
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Diego Simeone
    • John Terry
    • Frank Lampard
    • Ruben Amorim
    • Thomas Frank
    • Hansi Flick
    • Antonio Conte
    • Marco Silva
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Ange Postecoglou
    • Gareth Southgate
    • Marco Bielsa

This poll is closed to new votes

35 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

It's a one team league. He achieved the minimum expected in his time at Bayern.

I enjoy watching the Bundesliga when I get chance. I like the model they have in Germany........but it is such a hipster league. We've fallen for this before with Werner , and Havertz to a lesser degree. Everyone lauds Dortmund and their stadium, fan, players. Then we have the lauding of Red Bull and their model and amazing players.

At the end of the day. Bayern have still dominated for the last decade and the rest not really achieved a great deal.

Nagelsmann has regret with hindsight written all over it. I prefer we use foresight to see that now.

For sure. 

However for me it's not what he did at Bayern, I wanted him before Tuchel because of what he did at Hoffenheim and Leipzig.

I'm not against what you are saying about needing a particular type of manager and to be honest I don't really care who it is, as long as it's not Rodgers, just the fact that Potter has gone is good enough for me and I can look forward to my football again.

Whoever it is I think we will be back in the top 4 next season and we build from there. 

24 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Fair point on Di Matteo, didn't think across seasons.

It's as simple as this. I don't think they know what they want, or what they're doing, and I think they'll continue to get through coaches. I'm struggling to see that they'll make appointments that last even medium term. If you disagree, fine. We obviously haven't seen enough for me or anyone else to be 100% confident in my view. But we've definitely seen enough to be thinking "this may be a pattern".

For what it's worth, I wouldn't make Potter an equivalent with Villas-Boas or even Di Matteo. They had achieved far more than Potter has by any concrete measure.

Ok, that's fair enough, it's just a slightly different point to the one I initially responded to, regarding the ruthlessness of said owners. So far, TB and co have appointed one manager, and he did so badly, we are in danger of finishing 11th. He had to be sacked.

By contrast, Roman fired Ranieri after he finished 2nd and got to the CL semi. He fired Jose after 2 titles, and a second place. He fired Grant after coming second and being 6 inches away from winning the CL. He fired a WC winner, Scolari, with the team in 2nd. He fired Ancellotti 12 months after winning the double, then coming 2nd. He fired Di Matteo circa 20 games after winning the CL, with the team in 2nd. He fired Jose again 6 months after winning the league. He fired Conte 12 months after winning the league. He fired Lampard 6 months after he guided us to top 4 without being able to buy anyone. 

This new lot have a LONG way to go before we can ask whether they are as ruthless as Roman.

What we can ask, is are we confident in what they are doing, and will they get the next (and subsequent) appointment(s) right. That is very TBC. If Potter had been even in 6th or 7th, I think they would have stuck with him to see how it went. As it were, they were a lot more patient than what most of the fanbase wanted.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

For sure. 

However for me it's not what he did at Bayern, I wanted him before Tuchel because of what he did at Hoffenheim and Leipzig.

I'm not against what you are saying about needing a particular type of manager and to be honest I don't really care who it is, as long as it's not Rodgers, just the fact that Potter has gone is good enough for me and I can look forward to my football again.

Whoever it is I think we will be back in the top 4 next season and we build from there. 

I think before Tuchel or post Tuchel, then I would be well up for Nagelsmann.

I just think not right now though. Now is the time for experience for me.

22 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Not listed in the poll, but should Madrid sack him in the summer for coming second to Barca, I'd have Ancelotti back.

Actually what I think could do us is Madrid sacking Ancelotti and Nagelsmann going to Madrid.

I think that is partly why we moved so quickly to make it clear there's a post for Nagelsmann.

If Nagelsmann goes to Madrid to me we would have to go Ancelotti, Jose, or even Conte.

I really can't face having Enrique, Flick or even worse Pochettinno at this point.

Any of our former managers would be preferable as a throwback and to get some identity into the club.

Even as a short-term fix.

And don't know how some can hate Conte - great guy if he goes over the line but think he wants to live in Italy.

2 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

100% agree. I would love him back here, but he's off to Brazil isn't he?

There have been rumours that Brazil want him. He's said that he's very happy at Madrid (hardly likely to say otherwise).

If Madrid sack him in the summer (quite likely given their past track record of sacking managers who come 2nd to Barca in La Liga... even *if* they've won the European cup/CL) it'll be interesting to see where he goes next.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think we are certainly right to question the board for practically everything they've done so far in their tenure which to be honest has been a bit of a shit show to be frank , however I do believe they have done absolutely the right thing with regards to getting rid of Potter , where they made a mistake was letting it go on too long when he was afforded every chance to get it right and also in getting rid of Tuchel when they should have showed a bit of patience got their recruitment team in place , got their director of football in place and let him deal with TT .

This was possibly the first big decision they've got right .

For what it's worth (and I think probably pretty clear from my posting in 2023, if not from the day Potter came in), I think getting rid of Potter was completely the right thing to do. Not questioning that, at all!

31 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Ok, that's fair enough, it's just a slightly different point to the one I initially responded to, regarding the ruthlessness of said owners. So far, TB and co have appointed one manager, and he did so badly, we are in danger of finishing 11th. He had to be sacked.

Not intended to be. I think Abramovich was ruthless. He knew exactly what he wanted and expected, and all hirings and firings were (even with the odd mistake) to that end. I worry these guys just don't know what they want and will chop and change through indecision, not bloody-minded ruthlessness.

1 minute ago, thevelourfog said:

Not intended to be. I think Abramovich was ruthless. He knew exactly what he wanted and expected, and all hirings and firings were (even with the odd mistake) to that end. I worry these guys just don't know what they want and will chop and change through indecision, not bloody-minded ruthlessness.

Wholeheartedly agree.

3 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

1 minute ago, Bob Singleton said:

Wholeheartedly agree.

I guess time will tell, but I think we all agree that the sacking of Potter was correct.

33 minutes ago, johnnybozo said:

Simeone is out of contract in summer I believe? We have quick, tricky players and marauding fullbacks. Perfect squad to implement his counter attacking style.

He's been my number one choice for years. Top top manager.

Bad english- football a bit too defensive. Maybe too combustible. Prefer Nags!

But would way prefer Simeone over Enrique, Flick or Poch.

27 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

I voted Jose, as that's who I want in an idealistic sentimental sense.

I haven't voted yet but I absolutely see where you're coming from.  But Jose a third time?  Can't see it working again unfortunately and this isn't the time for too much sentiment, however appealing.

The players obviously didn't respect GP so no wonder everything fell apart.  

It can't ever happen of course but I wonder what Pep Guardiola could do with this squad?

41 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Bad english- football a bit too defensive. Maybe too combustible. Prefer Nags!

But would way prefer Simeone over Enrique, Flick or Poch.

Curious as to why ? Why would you be so against Poch or Enrique, and Flick to a lesser degree?

I don't know how much of the mud slinging on Nagelsmann is true, but I am concerned that there is some baggage that comes with him. Having said that he has worked with Vivell before, so if we do appoint him I would have some confidence that we know what we are getting into.  I am sure Vivell has many contacts in Germany to get the low down on what actually happened with Bayern too. He has worked in a similar structure to the one we are trying to replicate and is young enough to be a long term appointment. My gut feeling though is that he wouldn't be successful here, I can't pinpoint why exactly but others have touched on a few of the reasons here already.

I have already said in the Potter thread that I would favour an experienced, hardnosed, authoritarian to come in to the end of next season to get the whip the squad in to shape. I do feel they are weak mentally, aren't physically fit, and I sense some ill discipline too. Of the managers of that ilk - I think the ship has sailed on Jose now, Simeone wouldn't come here for a short term appointment, Conte is available and would be ideal for the task. The problem with a short term appointment like this is that we are still shaping the squad, so we probably need a long term appointment to be made now so that they can influence the ins and outs to their plan.

Of the name son the list I think Poch and Enrique would offer a good blend of the what I have said above, Enrique did last week say he doesn't see himself working in England in July.  Marco Silva has been mentioned in the press today but I don't think he has the reputation or gravitas for the squad to respect him. Ironically, TT would probably also fit the mould for what we need.

All things considered I am therefore voting Poch, but if we do go Nagelsmann I would trust that the footballing board know more about him than I do.

If it is Gareth Southgate I will cry.

Edit _ I know very little about Hansi Flick so he isn't included in my thoughts above

Edited by Lump Of Celery
  • Like 1

I'll preface this knowing it's not going to happen. 

For me I'd take Ange Postecoglou. 

Doesn't have the same sort of pedigree as managers from more reputable football nations, but it has grown since he arrived in Europe with the work he's done with Celtic. Has been successful across every club he's been at. Built one of the most dominating A-League sides in Brisbane and won back-to-back titles, went to Melbourne and won again in his only season there before taking over the Australian NT - once more finding success with a Asian Cup win over South Korea. Returns to club management in Japan with Yokohama and finishes mid-table after being in the relegation zone at one point. Also made the J-League Cup final but ended up losing. Turns that around in his second season and wins the J-League for Yokohama's first title in like 15 years. Goes on to join Celtic and immediately wins the league and league cup, and looks like he'll go back-to-back should they hold on this season - having also won the league cup again. 

Plays some of the most exciting football I've seen any side play across any top league, has been able to virtually replicate this across all the clubs he's been at. While it does take a little bit of time for his players to adapt, once they do it's a great watch when in full flight. He's also clear and concise with what he wants and demands, comes across very well in the media and can handles his players well. 

He's also had a big hand in changing the way Celtic have operated in the transfer market with the profile of players signed and has a good eye for talent generally speaking, with a willingness to bring on and develop young players.

Here's a videos to give a bit more insight.

I don't really know much about football outside England because I don't watch enough of it to feel my opinion is reliable. I find myself wanting to eliminate people rather than having a choice that I really like. I wouldn't mind someone who has been successful with a team with lower expectations, like Frank, de Zerbi or Silva, but that didn't exactly work out with GP. I wouldn't go for an inexperienced candidate for anything other than an interim, which seems to knock out Saltor, JT, and SFL. I am not sure about bringing back a manager like TSO or FSW. Conte would end up in fistfights with the owners. I am not a fan of Poch, Rodgers, Southgate or the football played by some Simeone teams (maybe I am being unfair and tarring him on the basis of reputation).  I liked Zidane as a player (who didn't!), but is he a good coach? He was quite successful but also seems a bit excitable. Maybe, that's what the fans need. Also, we need to consider who would be up for it. Sometimes the people who are most keen to do a thing are often the ones we least want. So I am left with going back to someone like  Nagelsmann or Enrique because I know less about them than others. Not exactly a glowing report. Whoever it is, they will get my support.

I did just read that although Nagelsmann has done well at lesser sides his football was very much based on counter attacking and is not particularly effective against the low block we face every week . Plus apparently Bayern Munich are winning games 5-4 /3-2 which is worrying.

I'd have to bow to Martin's greater knowledge of the league and the man and his methods .

Edited by Mark Kelly

2 minutes ago, Liquidator said:

Big problem with Nagelsmann is ....There are not many/any song lyrics where you can incorporate his name to a catchy terrace chant imho.....

"Nagelsmann went to mow, 

Went to mow a meadow......."

Works fine 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2