Who will the next permanent Chelsea manager be?

Who should be next Chelsea manager?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• Julian Nagelsmann
    • Bruno Saltor
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Luis Enrique
    • Mauricio Pochettino
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Diego Simeone
    • John Terry
    • Frank Lampard
    • Ruben Amorim
    • Thomas Frank
    • Hansi Flick
    • Antonio Conte
    • Marco Silva
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Ange Postecoglou
    • Gareth Southgate
    • Marco Bielsa

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

I have a mate who works as a driver for quite a wealthy family and who own a flat in one of the new developments in Knightsbridge. He's just told me that he saw (and spoke) Vincent Kompany leave the same development building with Egbhali yesterday evening.

Would be a shocking appointment imo.

• Angry 1
  • Agree 3

It'd be pretty unusual for a manager to not travel back from an away game with their players, which Kompany would have had to do. The sort of thing that would attract some press attention. Burnley were at Reading for a 3pm, so with warm down and press, you'd be looking at being in Knightsbridge for 8pm-ish at the absolute earliest. Hopefully a case of mistaken identity, particularly as we're told it isn't the owners doing the recruitment.

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

If they appoint Kompany, I would lose all hope in the current owners.

I do not think they are that dumb. I also suspect Clearlake are probably asking questions  

Good site upgrade all the site widgets are working again on my ancient phone 👍

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Would be a shocking appointment imo.

What would make him a shocking appointment out of curiosity? 

I get folks being turned away by his inexperience and lack of top flight pedigree, and I'm certainly not advocating for him to be hired given where we're at, but the body of work he's put together so far is pretty decent. 

What he's done with Burnley so far has been impressive, particularly in such a short period of time. You can certainly tell he's taken a lot of from playing under Pep in terms of his style. What's impressed me the most about him though is his demeanour, some of the team-talks and dressing downs he's given in the change rooms is exactly what we've been lacking. The man has stones, I'll say that much. 

Edited by xceleryx
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, xceleryx said:

I get folks being turned away by his inexperience and lack of top flight pedigree, and I'm certainly not advocating for him to be hired given where we're at, but the body of work he's put together so far is pretty decent. 

What he's done with Burnley so far has been impressive, particularly in such a short period of time. You can certainly tell he's taken a lot of from playing under Pep in terms of his style. What's impressed me the most about him though is his demeanour, some of the team-talks and dressing downs he's given in the change rooms is exactly what we've been lacking. The man has stones, I'll say that much. 

This sort of management will do ok for Burnley.The Chelsea players would probably have a collective smirk.

Expensive players rarely listen to a manager  if they don't feel like it imo.

11 minutes ago, kev61 said:

This sort of management will do ok for Burnley.The Chelsea players would probably have a collective smirk.

Expensive players rarely listen to a manager  if they don't feel like it imo.

Can't have a manager that'll be assertive and chew his players out when needed.

Can't have a manager that puts their arms around the players and whips out their degree in emotional intelligence. 

Where does that leave us then?

• Agree 3

6 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

OK, so what does any new Chelsea 'head coach' (because he isn't going to be their 'manager') do to get control?

Ask a player what position they feel comfortable in and don't treat them like an employee.

Then explain to them why you want to play them in a different position.Massage their ego... unfortunately.

4 hours ago, xceleryx said:

These clips are meaningless tbh, he’s totally unproven in the premier league. Not for me. I don’t care  about Anderlecht. Anyone could do well there in a weak, weak league. 

35 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

These clips are meaningless tbh, he’s totally unproven in the premier league. Not for me. I don’t care  about Anderlecht. Anyone could do well there in a weak, weak league. 

The clips aren't meaningless, they also aren't the full story and need to be taken with a pinch of salt. They do however provide a bit of a look at how he conducts things. Pretty much what we all want to see and know more about when it comes to anyone we'd want to hire. Would more value be had if such things were written in the media instead? 

As for being totally unproven in the Premier League, that's fair and I addressed that initially. But if the criteria is to be Premier League proven does that mean ignoring anyone who hasn't managed in the league before, as that's how it reads? This would rule a line through  the likes of Luis Enquire and Nagelsmann for example. Of course, I know that's unlikely to be what you mean and top flight experience in a top league is just as desirable, but it is all a bit picky and choosy to a degree. 

There's no doubt that the Belgium league isn't that strong overall, but Anderlecht have also only managed to win the league once in the last ten years - 2016/17. They finished 8th the season prior to Kompany arriving, before finishing 3rd and 3rd during his time there. They now currently sit 10th for this season. There's also been constant managerial turnover at the club, outside of Kompany in 20/21 and 21/22, you'd have to go back to 13/14 to 15/16 for the last manager to get through more than one season. As big of a club as Anderlecht are in Belgium they've achieved absolutely nothing for virtually the last 10 years. 

That aside, he's also done excellently at Burnley and completely changed the way they play football. 

Again, not advocating for us to hire Kompany at this stage, but he is an exciting upcoming manager and I'd not be shocked if he's earmarked as Pep's long-term replacement. 

Edited by xceleryx

As regards the fitness issue referred to in @xceleryx post above, Frank may have valid points and stats in and around this area are usually of the true or false type I.e. they ran farther than us type. 

This is almost a stock excuse used by lots of newly appointed managers though, “they’re not fit enough” is trotted out. 

Not being fit enough is a reason for second half performances to drop off in match fit players.  The senior pros must also know if the intensity of training is where is should be or not and could have and should have queried this - you can bet Terry, Lampard and that generation would have done “Boss we’re getting out run, we’re half a yard short in tackles etc”. 

If there was ever a ‘model’ written of how to dismantle a winning mentality, the new owners can show up their first year in charge and say ‘that’s the way to do it’.

Personally, I’m leaning towards the thought process that they’ve got so much wrong, that they don’t know what right is - and right won’t be gained until they get out of Dodge or acknowledge they’ve no clue and  re-appoint some experience - not the inward facing Winstanley’s of the new footballing quangos that exist. They’d do worse than to copy Man City.

Edited by east lower
Somehow managed to put this in the wrong thread, should have been in the Media one

1 hour ago, kev61 said:

Conte fills the criteria.The problem is the players could revolt.

If Guardiola left City they will implode and become another rich busted flush.

If Guardiola leaves City , Arteta will be on his seat whilst it's still warm.

The difference between winning and losing in elite sports is often tiny. Forget half a yard - it is often inches irrespective of whether that is in the net or wide, making a block or being late and so on. However, I think there might be some truth to the fitness thing because I see a larger drop-off later on in the first half or second half from our players than I do on other sides. There might be a whole lot of reasons for that, but I think the disastrous pre-season may have had an impact. However, it does not wholly account for our results. We often go into games with lots of energy, fail to score and then drop off.  Most of the goals we concede are in the latter part of the first half (8) or in the middle of the second (11). 

Goals scored and conceded in each 15-min period in the league.

Chelsea 3-3 6-4 4-8 6-2 3-11 8-5

1 hour ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Agree - He s is certainly on the way up, however not ready for a club like Chelsea.  Burnley's result against Chitty sums up where VK is in his management development. Next test for VK is how he does with Burnley in the PL next season  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

The clips aren't meaningless, they also aren't the full story and need to be taken with a pinch of salt. They do however provide a bit of a look at how he conducts things. Pretty much what we all want to see and know more about when it comes to anyone we'd want to hire. Would more value be had if such things were written in the media instead? 

As for being totally unproven in the Premier League, that's fair and I addressed that initially. But if the criteria is to be Premier League proven does that mean ignoring anyone who hasn't managed in the league before, as that's how it reads? This would rule a line through  the likes of Luis Enquire and Nagelsmann for example. Of course, I know that's unlikely to be what you mean and top flight experience in a top league is just as desirable, but it is all a bit picky and choosy to a degree. 

There's no doubt that the Belgium league isn't that strong overall, but Anderlecht have also only managed to win the league once in the last ten years - 2016/17. They finished 8th the season prior to Kompany arriving, before finishing 3rd and 3rd during his time there. They now currently sit 10th for this season. There's also been constant managerial turnover at the club, outside of Kompany in 20/21 and 21/22, you'd have to go back to 13/14 to 15/16 for the last manager to get through more than one season. As big of a club as Anderlecht are in Belgium they've achieved absolutely nothing for virtually the last 10 years. 

That aside, he's also done excellently at Burnley and completely changed the way they play football. 

Again, not advocating for us to hire Kompany at this stage, but he is an exciting upcoming manager and I'd not be shocked if he's earmarked as Pep's long-term replacement. 

Artera is Pep’s replacement. No, not at all. You said yourself clips mean basically nothing so why post them?

I don’t want Nagelsmann or Enrique. My preference is Poch, Uncle Carlo, Conte or Jose.

Time to go back to basics, not for more experimentation. 

• Agree 1

That process is now at a middle stage and what initially began as a shortlist comprising five-to-10 candidates has been whittled down to just a handful of options heading into the closing stages

One possibility not expected to figure in the final reckoning is Ruben Amorim. Exploratory talks did take place — Chelsea hold Sporting Lisbon and their manager in high regard — but he is happy at the Portuguese club and the Premier League side are focusing their attention elsewhere.

Chelsea also spoke with Amorim when Tuchel left, underlining their long-term admiration for the 38-year-old as he continues to develop his career and build a strong reputation across the game.

Leading this work for Chelsea are co-sporting directors Laurence Stewart and Paul Winstanley. Potter’s arrival was overseen by co-owners Todd Boehly and Behdad Eghbali before Stewart and Winstanley joined, and the latter partnership is said to be applying greater diligence.

They are conducting multiple rounds of discussions and interviews before confirming a selection, which will go to Boehly and Eghbali for ratification. Internally, the race is viewed as wide open and with a favourite yet to emerge from the contenders — but a decision is likely in the coming weeks.

3 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Can't have a manager that'll be assertive and chew his players out when needed.

Can't have a manager that puts their arms around the players and whips out their degree in emotional intelligence. 

Where does that leave us then?

Obviously not the consensus here and I do, to a degree, understand why but this dilemma is one of the things that has me leaning towards Pochettino. He drilled Spurs to within an inch of their lives, had them playing incredibly energetic, direct football in which no one could be a passenger. And all while building tight, close relationships with almost all of the players, most of them young. He seemed to be able to ball them out without mutiny. It's a tough balance to strike, but high challenge/high support isn't impossible and some can do it.

It may be the other seeming candidates can too and I just know less about them tbf.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Obviously not the consensus here and I do, to a degree, understand why but this dilemma is one of the things that has me leaning towards Pochettino. He drilled Spurs to within an inch of their lives, had them playing incredibly energetic, direct football in which no one could be a passenger. And all while building tight, close relationships with almost all of the players, most of them young. He seemed to be able to ball them out without mutiny. It's a tough balance to strike, but high challenge/high support isn't impossible and some can do it.

It may be the other seeming candidates can too and I just know less about them tbf.

I do think if Pochettino didn't have a Spurs history his name would be being pushed more for the job. Sure, he's not at the pinnacle of coaching in terms of success, but we're also a side that's quite some distance away from being at a level to genuinely compete anyway. The first port of call is to get into that position, and like it or not Pochettino has had success doing this. Not only that, but he's got a proven track record with developing younger sides, something that ties in perfectly with the direction we're taking. Throw in a proven quantity within the Premier League, and I honestly think he arguably one of the best fits for where we are right now - which I feel is important for us to not lose sight of when appointing our next manager. 

Would also be great banter if he was to actually end up here and win something. 

Edited by xceleryx
Spelling fix.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1