Who will the next permanent Chelsea manager be?

Who should be next Chelsea manager?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• Julian Nagelsmann
    • Bruno Saltor
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Luis Enrique
    • Mauricio Pochettino
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Diego Simeone
    • John Terry
    • Frank Lampard
    • Ruben Amorim
    • Thomas Frank
    • Hansi Flick
    • Antonio Conte
    • Marco Silva
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Ange Postecoglou
    • Gareth Southgate
    • Marco Bielsa

This poll is closed to new votes

6 minutes ago, ROTG said:

If the club waits until 01-Jun, then it a case of the new coach culling the squad  by 30-jun without having a chance to assess the players 

These remaining games are a free hit  

I would imagine that they have advised each of the remaining candidates to watch all of our games with a eye on making a judgement on the players to some degree so when they join which I am hoping will be the day after this season ends they can have at least some idea of where we are at .

12 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I am starting to lean towards Poch,

One can assume with poch allegedly going up in the ratings, he meets the TB sports department remit of hiring someone who will use the £200m worth of Brighton level players brought by TB sports department in January. 
Ideally whoever takes over, will demand bringing in a couple of leaders to the squad. What we have now is a powder puff team regardless of the coach. 

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I would imagine that they have advised each of the remaining candidates to watch all of our games with a eye on making a judgement on the players to some degree so when they join which I am hoping will be the day after this season ends they can have at least some idea of where we are at .

Not the same as seeing the first hand. TBH. 
i would actually use these remaining matches to get the squads fitness levels up and see how the perform/react to some basic coaching.  E.g. if the new coach wants to play 4 at the back now is the time to assess the players to look for possible personnel weaknesses. 

19 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

It would be good if the new manager could actually be in the dressing room and on the training pitch to see the attitudes of some of the players, or see how they implement Frank's instructions in to the last few games. They could also have thorough debriefs on Frank on individual players while he is still employed here and fully engaged. That way they can make an informed decision on who  stays and who goes, get used to the facilities. As ROTG says the players won't even be here for the first month.

I appreciate the above would be completely out of the norm, and a very strange dynamic with the new manager shadowing the interim. But we have nothing left to play for anyway so I can't see what we have to lose. May even get the players on their toes and give them a chance to impress if they are borderline for getting the chop.

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

If the club waits until 01-Jun, then it a case of the new coach culling the squad  by 30-jun without having a chance to assess the players 

These remaining games are a free hit  

Who we keep will be largely down to the board, no new manager will have that much of a say.

11 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

And what if the board decide to get rid of players the manager wants to keep and keeps players the manager doesn't want to go forward with?  This is why I'd like us to go back to the old ways of football when a manager has a big say in who come in and who goes 

That's modern day football and has been for quite some time now. 

Let's be honest it's not rocket science who we need to get rid of and it doesn't need someone to come in now to asses the squad, its blatantly obvious.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Yes, that factor is certainly one that's a help to the new manager. But with less games to play it  does make it even more important that we move on a significant number of players this summer. 

definitely 

1 hour ago, martin1905 said:

Let's be honest it's not rocket science who we need to get rid of and it doesn't need someone to come in now to asses the squad, its blatantly obvious.

It's not quite as sbvious as you think.

While there's a few obvious ones who need to go  - Auba. Ziyech. Pulisic - there's also a number of our players who divide opinion - Havettz, Sterling and Kovacic being prime examples. For all we know, a new manager might think he could even get a tune out of the likes of Pulisic and Ziyech.

1 hour ago, martin1905 said:

That's modern day football and has been for quite some time now. 

It’s also obvious of the monies spent in January by TB sport department £200m of them are not be good enough to take the club  back to top 4 level regardless of the coach. 

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

It's not quite as sbvious as you think.

While there's a few obvious ones who need to go  - Auba. Ziyech. Pulisic - there's also a number of our players who divide opinion - Havettz, Sterling and Kovacic being prime examples. For all we know, a new manager might think he could even get a tune out of the likes of Pulisic and Ziyech.

Not happening though is it?

As for the other bit, it will be decided by the board, like all transfers are. If we can get good money for certain players then we will sell them. Others we will look to move on because of their contract situation. 

There was a lot of talk about Potter being a bigger part of the club. He was going to be involved from top to bottom and have more say on everything. It was complete nonsense and any new manager will be exactly the same.

I have two problems with Poch being appointed.

1 - His career has been on a downward curve since the CL final. Sacked by Spurs and then hardly pulled up any tress in a one team league in France.

2 - The club desperately needs a boost of some sort, be it that big player which Drogba mentioned or an exciting managerial appointment. Poch would be a very meh appointment for many.

If we are prepared to take a manager on a downward curve who never won anything in this country, then why not go for another manager on downward curve, but one who's won a shitload of trophies in his career and one who has a strong connection to the club and the type of character who could give the club the boost it needs, at least in the short term.

Id much rather we go for JN, but I'd take Jose3 all day and every day over Poch!

Edited by boratsbrother
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I am starting to lean towards Poch, to be honest. I was all in on Nagelsmann, however, having seen just how bad it's got for us, how lazy the players have become, I do think we need someone like Poch to come in and add a bit of discipline and proper worth ethic into this squad. I feel like where we are with our transition, which is essentially rooted at the very bottom, we need someone who knows the league and can come in and get the players playing for each other and for the club, someone that won't accept the kind of performances some of these players have been putting in.

His record of winning things isn't great, but right now, we should be more focussed on building the new foundations for this era and much like the Mourinho did for the Roman era, we need to get some nasty in there and a win at all costs mentality that can then start to run back through the club.

Yes. I agree with all your points Sam.I admit I know nothing about Nagelsmann.

I remember Spurs playing good football and on the cusp under Poch.Maybe he was under funded by Levy?.

It seems Conte was disillusioned by the players and the owners of Spurs.He is the only manager that tells it as it is in recent times.

Conte is probably too hot to handle for Boehly and Co,and the players.....sadly.

Poch has proven he can do well in premiership.ok he was sacked by Spurs and PSG,but what top manager hasn't been sacked?

Maybe they just didn't suit at the time.

We need a proven manager at a top level.So yes, discounting Conte my vote goes to Poch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

God help us if we appoint Poch. Imo, he's very ordinary. Not 'proven' at all!

Conte or Nagelsmann for me.

Depends how you interpret "proven" I suppose. 

Poch is certainly proven when it comes to developing young players and building a close knit team that can play some nice football with a little bit of nastiness. He's performed well and progressed all the clubs he's been at with the exception of the circus that is PSG. 

Sure, he's not a serial winner like some of others, but we're also some distance away from sniffing a trophy as it is. 

If you put aside his Spurs history he arguably fits the mould of what we're needing at this point in time. 

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

Sure, he's not a serial winner like some of others, but we're also some distance away from sniffing a trophy as it is. 

When I say 'proven' I mean simply a coach who's actually won something! And imo, we'll be even further 'away' if we appoint him.

An alternative view/approach - IF the owners are truthful when they say ‘long-term’ process.

Is the next manager/coach the really important one or perhaps it’s the one that follows them?

Use Man City as the example here, they knew they wanted Pep ultimately and laid the recruitment foundations by employing the two trusted back-office support staff. They employed Pelligrini, who pretty much everyone knew was a stand-in before the main act came available. He had a job to do, accepted the scenario and probably exceeded expectations to some degree.

It’s fair to say that most of us and more importantly, the owners know there’s a significant shedding of player required here - that’s a really tough job for a coach, whilst still keeping the rest of the squad ‘onside’ with you - their pals are basically being binned, who’s next questions will be going on, can we trust this bloke etc, etc.

Does the next coach have to be a one or two season appointment to oversee that, whilst the squad is being built (the young South American’s that we seem to be buying, (very Brighton if you ask me) and getting a year or two’s introduction to the PL, before we move onto the main act?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Depends how you interpret "proven" I suppose. 

Poch is certainly proven when it comes to developing young players and building a close knit team that can play some nice football with a little bit of nastiness. He's performed well and progressed all the clubs he's been at with the exception of the circus that is PSG. 

If you put aside his Spurs history he arguably fits the mould of what we're needing at this point in time. 

Agree with this.

He is fit for purpose, for being someone who will coach the Brighton squad given to him by TB sports department, Unlike some of the optimists on here, it going to take him two season to get the team into the top 4 and play with an identity, with the  Carabao cup being a target next season. "its the easiest to win and would get the supporters aligned". 

If in season 3 the squad Plato's and CL run is poor then it time for an upgrade.

My concern is someone like JN will want to try and fast track everything and a potential firecracker should it not going his way. AlsoI just cannot see the guy staying at a club long term.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Agree with this.

He is fit for purpose, for being someone who will coach the Brighton squad given to him by TB sports department, Unlike some of the optimists on here, it going to take him two season to get the team into the top 4 and play with an identity, with the  Carabao cup being a target next season. "its the easiest to win and would get the supporters aligned". 

If in season 3 the squad Plato's and CL run is poor then it time for an upgrade.

My concern is someone like JN will want to try and fast track everything and a potential firecracker should it not going his way. AlsoI just cannot see the guy staying at a club long term.

Agreed. I think JN will want Barcelona or Madrid. 

9 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

You know what I mean. Yes we might win something but then the usual rows will happen after a season or two and he’ll leave or be sacked, costing us a fortune (again!). 

So appoint Nagelsmann!

Matt, whoever we appoint will be off in a couple of seasons., because that's the way the whole circus works!