Who will the next permanent Chelsea manager be?

Who should be next Chelsea manager?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• Julian Nagelsmann
    • Bruno Saltor
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Luis Enrique
    • Mauricio Pochettino
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Diego Simeone
    • John Terry
    • Frank Lampard
    • Ruben Amorim
    • Thomas Frank
    • Hansi Flick
    • Antonio Conte
    • Marco Silva
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Ange Postecoglou
    • Gareth Southgate
    • Marco Bielsa

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

When I say 'proven' I mean simply a coach who's actually won something! And imo, we'll be even further 'away' if we appoint him.

Was Di Matteo "proven"? I do take your point on Pochettino, but I think the understanding of "proven" you're working with is pretty limited. Isn't it "proven" that Conte would destroy all morale, bore us to death and strop off after saddling the squad with expensive rubbish (something we don't need any help with!)?

I don't think this squad has meaningful titles in its sights over the next year, maybe two. It needs someone who plays their part in getting it there for maybe three years time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

When I say 'proven' I mean simply a coach who's actually won something! And imo, we'll be even further 'away' if we appoint him.

Pochettino won the league with PSG, and a cup

Nagelsmann has won the league with Bayern and a couple of their charity shields

I'm interested why you consider one proven, and the other to have won nothing?

I don't know much about Hoffenheim and Leipzig but it would appear Nags achievements with them are almost identical to Poch with Southampton and Spurs. If anything isn't Poch more proven, having already managed in England.

• Agree 3

8 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

I don't know much about Hoffenheim and Leipzig but it would appear Nags achievements with them are almost identical to Poch with Southampton and Spurs. If anything isn't Poch more proven, having already managed in England.

It's a good argument for sure. The similarities are there. Only thing I would add is what Nagelsmann did at Hoffenheim is a different level to Pochettino at Southampton. 3rd bottom when he took over, in February and kept them up. Next season finished 4th, following season 3rd and into the champions League for the first time in their history.

I was completely against Pochettino last time round and  I was initially after sacking Potter but I've come round to the idea and I think he would be a very good appointment. Not my first choice but equally I'm not against it and would be quite happy. I think it could be said that, for where we currently are, he's actually the stand out candidate.

32 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

It's a good argument for sure. The similarities are there. Only thing I would add is what Nagelsmann did at Hoffenheim is a different level to Pochettino at Southampton. 3rd bottom when he took over, in February and kept them up. Next season finished 4th, following season 3rd and into the champions League for the first time in their history.

I was completely against Pochettino last time round and  I was initially after sacking Potter but I've come round to the idea and I think he would be a very good appointment. Not my first choice but equally I'm not against it and would be quite happy. I think it could be said that, for where we currently are, he's actually the stand out candidate.

They do seem to have had quite similar trajectories. I voted for Poch back when this thread was opened for various reasons over the other candidates. With Nags it is very much just my gut feeling that it wouldn't work out, rather than anything logical. I think it may be because of our recent experience of bringing in players from the Bundesliga, and maybe his age and personal life too, Poch seems more a settled family man, and Nags girl being a journalist worries me

@My Blood Is Blue I am interested to know if this vote is fluid and people can change their mind/vote, or is it a one hit wonder? In the posts here there seems to have been a shift in opinion towards Poch this last week

Problem with any ex-Rottenham manager will be that as soon as things don’t go well for a period our fans will be at him that bit more than than would with another manager without that link to a bitter rival. 

He’s not the man for me, anyone who can finish second in a one-horse race league isn’t what we should be aspiring to. Plus he’s been out of management for a good while now. He achieved nowt in the PL or domestic cups. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

Was Di Matteo "proven"? I do take your point on Pochettino, but I think the understanding of "proven" you're working with is pretty limited. Isn't it "proven" that Conte would destroy all morale, bore us to death and strop off after saddling the squad with expensive rubbish (something we don't need any help with!)?

I don't think this squad has meaningful titles in its sights over the next year, maybe two. It needs someone who plays their part in getting it there for maybe three years time.

The odds of  a coach that is proven, in the sense has taken a team on to win something has to be better. I accept DiMatteo was unproven and did well but Potter was very much unproven and was found out. Football is so much more intense that very few have time to prove themselves anywhere big.

Many would argue Pep is proven but in what sense? To my mind he has never proven himself, he has won (and that is the minimum expected)  at the respective richest clubs in Spain, Germany and England and perhaps doesnt know what it is to train a team to success where he can not buy an already finished article.

Coaches like Ancelotti, Jose, Conti, Simeone, Rafa and even Poch started further down the food chain, gained respect and proved themselves able to cope with mediocrity and advance their squads. 

For this reason I think we need a proven coach and he must be given time but there has to be a clear vision and an improvement that we can relate to, something that Potter was not showing

27 minutes ago, east lower said:

Problem with any ex-Rottenham manager will be that as soon as things don’t go well for a period our fans will be at him that bit more than than would with another manager without that link to a bitter rival. 

He’s not the man for me, anyone who can finish second in a one-horse race league isn’t what we should be aspiring to. Plus he’s been out of management for a good while now. He achieved nowt in the PL or domestic cups. 

Whilst I agree about the ex-Spuds link I do feel that what he did with them does make him an excellent coach. They haven’t done anywhere near as well since he left and that includes having JM and AC as managers who were both serial winners at all their previous clubs. He knows the Premier league well and he knows the players so I’d be more than happy for him to take over. I was initially all for Nagelsman but have now swung more towards Poch, that said I just hope it is one or the other.

1 minute ago, chrisb said:

Whilst I agree about the ex-Spuds link I do feel that what he did with them does make him an excellent coach. They haven’t done anywhere near as well since he left and that includes having JM and AC as managers who were both serial winners at all their previous clubs. He knows the Premier league well and he knows the players so I’d be more than happy for him to take over. I was initially all for Nagelsman but have now swung more towards Poch, that said I just hope it is one or the other.

Both have flaws or major question marks for me, not overly keen on Naglesman because of some of the matters that were seen at the end of his time at Bayern.

Much rather go for Jose or Ancelotti, you know what you’re getting and as @Michael Tucker said it’s a two season circus anyways. Both of them will deal with the squad size whilst getting us organised and disciplined.

3 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

So appoint Nagelsmann!

Matt, whoever we appoint will be off in a couple of seasons., because that's the way the whole circus works!

I’d rather that than the circus we’d get with Antonio tbh. I’d rather Jose if we’re going that direction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, east lower said:

He’s not the man for me, anyone who can finish second in a one-horse race league isn’t what we should be aspiring to.

14 minutes ago, east lower said:

Much rather go for Jose

So you are advocating for Jose to return, yet the season of the one horse title race you refer to we finished 10th under his stewardship - with one of our best ever squads (and far superior to the Spuds) Oh and we also sold KDB and Salah to suit the win at all costs mentality - would work great with the squad of young players we have assembled! 

48 minutes ago, chrisb said:

And he did it under Levy who hates spending

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Lump Of Celery said:

So you are advocating for Jose to return, yet the season of the one horse title race you refer to we finished 10th under his stewardship - with one of our best ever squads (and far superior to the Spuds) Oh and we also sold KDB and Salah to suit the win at all costs mentality - would work great with the squad of young players we have assembled! 

If you feel he’s not the man, fine and dandy.  His CV is as good, if not better than the three named and supposed leading candidates. He’d be here for a couple of years tops and could be used as the man to get players out of the squad, whilst the younger ones get bedded in. 

You’ve your wires crossed as regards the one horse race, that was clearly about Poch at PSG.

3 hours ago, Lump Of Celery said:

They do seem to have had quite similar trajectories. I voted for Poch back when this thread was opened for various reasons over the other candidates. With Nags it is very much just my gut feeling that it wouldn't work out, rather than anything logical. I think it may be because of our recent experience of bringing in players from the Bundesliga, and maybe his age and personal life too, Poch seems more a settled family man, and Nags girl being a journalist worries me

@My Blood Is Blue I am interested to know if this vote is fluid and people can change their mind/vote, or is it a one hit wonder? In the posts here there seems to have been a shift in opinion towards Poch this last week

Yep, you can now go back and update your answer if you so wish.

8 minutes ago, east lower said:

You’ve your wires crossed as regards the one horse race, that was clearly about Poch at PSG.

👍 my mistake

6 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Yep, you can now go back and update your answer if you so wish.

Thanks! Sticking to mine, but will be interested to see if things shift

• Like 1

Porch is a decent manager who would do a decent job for us, but is that moderate the level we are aiming for now? This is a manager who won nothing in his years in the EPL. Had a season when all the top teams were way off their best leaving the title door wide open for his Spurs to take advantage but they blew it bigtime. Time and time again his Spurs side bottled it when it mattered most in the big games. 

Yes, he'll be a safe bet to get us back to the top 6 and maybe 4 over the next couple of years, but then what? I'd bet anything that would be our limit under him and then we'd be looking to start this whole process yet again.

JN is obviously completely unproven in this league, still has flaws in his makeup and not yet up there with the very best managers, but his ceiling is higher than Poch's and imho,  that's why we should go for him.

Edited by boratsbrother

5 hours ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Yes, but his prior association with Spurs is not a trivial thing. He would be under more pressure from the matchday fans from the start and it is certainly the case that his heart and soul did belong to Spurs to a greater degree than was the case with most of our recent managers with us. It is reported that this previous (and apparently lingering) allegiance will have a part to play in his decision whether to come here if the job is offered. If that is true then I would not want him here; you can't have any ambivalence in a manager - we have seen to our recent cost what a bloodless managerial relationship can do to a dressing room and a fan base.

Pocchetino hasn't done enough in the game anyway for him to excite me as an incoming Messiah, which is what we need at this point.

16 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I just came to post the same thing... I really hope this isn't true. 

We’ll get him the PL experience he needs, just in time for him run off to City when Pep calls it a day.

It’s being reported in a number of places but could well be just jumping on that story of a week or so ago when he was seen somewhere where one of the hierarchy was, at the same time.

Go with the Brighton chap, if you’re going for the brightest shining newest piece.

37 minutes ago, Phoenix Blue said:

Being reported that Vincent Kompany is on a shortlist of 4, please tell me that is not true.

If we’re going down that road, what on earth has Vincent Kompany got to offer that Frank hasn’t? 🙄