Who will the next permanent Chelsea manager be?

Who should be next Chelsea manager?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• Julian Nagelsmann
    • Bruno Saltor
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Luis Enrique
    • Mauricio Pochettino
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Diego Simeone
    • John Terry
    • Frank Lampard
    • Ruben Amorim
    • Thomas Frank
    • Hansi Flick
    • Antonio Conte
    • Marco Silva
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Ange Postecoglou
    • Gareth Southgate
    • Marco Bielsa

This poll is closed to new votes

Found out who the fourth mystery candidate is!

The Sun Football âš˝ on Twitter: "#DeadlineDay just isn't the same without  Harry Redknapp leaning out of his car window for an interview  https://t.co/LiyXjOtGDP" / Twitter

No seriously though, this is a really bad situation to be in. We are one of the most successful clubs in English footballing history and we're reduced to choosing between Kompany and Pochettino in all likelihood. 

Kompany may turn out to be a class manager, but we're not really in a position to be taking risks like that. I don't think Poch would be a disaster per se, as he's competent and does have experience. He even got a tune out of Dele Alli! But he will not take us to the next level.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Proud-Blue said:

Found out who the fourth mystery candidate is!

The Sun Football âš˝ on Twitter: "#DeadlineDay just isn't the same without  Harry Redknapp leaning out of his car window for an interview  https://t.co/LiyXjOtGDP" / Twitter

No seriously though, this is a really bad situation to be in. We are one of the most successful clubs in English footballing history and we're reduced to choosing between Kompany and Pochettino in all likelihood. 

Kompany may turn out to be a class manager, but we're not really in a position to be taking risks like that. I don't think Poch would be a disaster per se, as he's competent and does have experience. He even got a tune out of Dele Alli! But he will not take us to the next level.

Completely agree!

Poch is also divisive with the fans - as soon as it turns he is DONE!

We need a unity candidate - Jose is the man!

• Agree 1

I adored Jose but he isn't the man he was 20 years ago and we aren't the club.  Having him back a third time would be a nonsense.  Just like hoping that Frank could become a great Chelsea manager because he was our greatest ever player (and I say that with deep sorrow).

Mind you, I wonder if Jose AND Frank could work.....

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Completely agree!

Come on Max, we're supposed to be a progressive club... we can't keep looking in our cupboard for the skeleton most likely to come back to life! Lampard back for more, Jose back for a third time?! This is a project that needs someone to come in and give a fresh perspective.

Next you'll be telling us how Graham Potter is a good option...

11 minutes ago, JaneB said:

I adored Jose but he isn't the man he was 20 years ago and we aren't the club.  Having him back a third time would be a nonsense.  Just like hoping that Frank could become a great Chelsea manager because he was our greatest ever player (and I say that with deep sorrow).

It really surprises me that so many would want Mourinho. I remain a big fan, but for achievements that are very much in the past. He's had an incredible 20 years as a manager, but it's really clear he has had his peak.  And even within that successful period, he has no real pedigree for inheriting a mishmash of players and turning them into even a moderate force. He is the final piece of a puzzle, not the first or last. Just a really poor fit for where we are, imo.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Bison said:

I hope the 4th candidate is De Zerbi and they're just too embarrassed to go public with it. He is by far the best manager we could get. 

Just now, Max Fowler said:

Agree!

Come on fellas, we can't lower ourselves to Boehly copycat tactics - there are other managers that HAVEN'T managed BHA

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Alan Sheen said:

Come on Max, we're supposed to be a progressive club... we can't keep looking in our cupboard for the skeleton most likely to come back to life! Lampard back for more, Jose back for a third time?! This is a project that needs someone to come in and give a fresh perspective.

Next you'll be telling us how Graham Potter is a good option...

Jose and Frank are incomparable as managers!!!!

Jose would be a short-term fix. 

At least he’s a fix!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Completely agree!

I think you're over-reacting. 

I don't think Pochettino is a bad manager. We will be fine with him, I just don't think he'll take us to the highest level, which we should really expect to be at. My point really was that it's just disappointing to be choosing between Pochettino and Kompany when we really we want to attract the very best.

I can't agree with bringing Mourinho back either. Love him, but I just cannot see it working with this kind of Chelsea team and the current project. If they were worried about Nagelsmann 's temperament, they've no chance with Jose.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Max Fowler said:

Jose and Frank are incomparable as managers!!!!

Jose would be a short-term fix. 

At least he’s a fix!

But what's the fix here, get us into the Europa League and then start a fresh again with someone else? We'll be back to square one except Enzo only has seven years left with us!

3 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

It really surprises me that so many would want Mourinho. I remain a big fan, but for achievements that are very much in the past. He's had an incredible 20 years as a manager, but it's really clear he has had his peak.  And even within that successful period, he has no real pedigree for inheriting a mishmash of players and turning them into even a moderate force. He is the final piece of a puzzle, not the first or last. Just a really poor fit for where we are, imo.

I agree that he's past his best - and you have convinced me a bit that he would even be a bad fit for where we are.

I always thought he could do a job for a couple of years, unite the fans and get us challenging in the top four again.

Honestly, at this point I would take De Zerbi!

1 minute ago, Proud-Blue said:

I can't agree with bringing Mourinho back either. Love him, but I just cannot see it working with this kind of Chelsea team and the current project. If they were worried about Nagelsmann 's temperament, they've no chance with Jose.

What is this problem our owners have with top level managers temperaments?!
Tuchel? Nagelsmann? Jose?
Let's get a placid manager like Potter who never swears and had no chance of winning anything for us!

I agree Jose may not be the answer.

But our owners need to deal with these elite managers and their elite personalities!

• Confused 1

I can't believe people are seriously uttering the words De Zerbi here... yes, he's clearly a half-decent manager but he's getting a tune out of Brighton a team which Potter also managed to get playing! He's made very few changes and a lot of it really boils down to world class recruitment at their level. Come on guys... he managed Shaktar Donetsk before BHA, it'd be laughable appointment !!

Just now, Alan Sheen said:

I can't believe people are seriously uttering the words De Zerbi here... yes, he's clearly a half-decent manager but he's getting a tune out of Brighton a team which Potter also managed to get playing! He's made very few changes and a lot of it really boils down to world class recruitment at their level. Come on guys... he managed Shaktar Donetsk before BHA, it'd be laughable appointment !!

So is Vincent Kompany ahead in your eyes too then? A job at the top of Chelsea beckons for you, Alan!

9 minutes ago, Proud-Blue said:

I think you're over-reacting. 

I don't think Pochettino is a bad manager. We will be fine with him, I just don't think he'll take us to the highest level, which we should really expect to be at. My point really was that it's just disappointing to be choosing between Pochettino and Kompany when we really we want to attract the very best.

On this bit ... The average shelf-life of a PL manager is 18 months. We are not getting back to what I consider to be the highest level (either winning the title or being in a genuine race for it, 85ish points and in the running until late on, CL semis as an expectation rather than pleasant surprise) in that time no matter who is in charge. The level we should be at in that time is top 4 and CL qualification, ideally comfortably, and with a settled squad and playing identity. What we can and should continue to take from the Abramovich era is twisting rather than sticking if we get there in that timescale and it then becomes clear that coach can't take the next step up. And that fits for those coaches, because they generally don't want to be around for the stage before, anyway. They want to be there when the value they add takes a team from 2nd to 1st, not 11th to 4th.

On Nagelsmann, none of us have any idea what has happened or if anything genuinely has happened there. It really is not worth getting even slightly upset about.

On Pochettino and the fans ... No one will care if he does well. We have seen that very clearly with players, like Fabregas and Giroud. And no one will be happy if he does poorly. That will be true of anyone, with any prior history. It is really a non-issue.

Edited by thevelourfog
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Just now, Max Fowler said:

So is Vincent Kompany ahead in your eyes too then? A job at the top of Chelsea beckons for you, Alan!

No, I agree with your earlier points on him - yes, he might be great but not the time for Vince, something also tells me he'd even turn us down!

I'm surprised that the words UNAI EMERY aren't on everyone's lips. He's been at Villa for only a few months yes, but look at the results he's got there. Proven winner with Sevilla in EUL, elite management experience with PSG which he's clearly learned from. Feel he's the perfect mix of potential for greatness yet could be on board with some of the nonsense Boelhy insists on.