Who will the next permanent Chelsea manager be?

Who should be next Chelsea manager?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• Julian Nagelsmann
    • Bruno Saltor
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Luis Enrique
    • Mauricio Pochettino
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Diego Simeone
    • John Terry
    • Frank Lampard
    • Ruben Amorim
    • Thomas Frank
    • Hansi Flick
    • Antonio Conte
    • Marco Silva
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Ange Postecoglou
    • Gareth Southgate
    • Marco Bielsa

This poll is closed to new votes

8 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I did just read that although Nagelsmann has done well at lesser sides his football was very much based on counter attacking and is not particularly effective against the low block we face every week . Plus apparently Bayern Munich are winning games 5-4 /3-2 which is worrying.

I'd have to bow to Martin's greater knowledge of the league and the man and his methods .

It's also heavily focused on countering the other team, rather than focusing on the strengths of his own players. Believe this was criticised heavily last season when Villarreal knocked them out of the Champions League last season.

11 minutes ago, Liquidator said:

Hands up ,who voted for Rafa.....

Mods get on it and ban this person please.

Seconded. There’s no place on this forum for someone who wants that rotund, bearded little waiters presence back in our dugout. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Liquidator said:

Hands up ,who voted for Rafa.....

Mods get on it and ban this person please.

There used to be that Liverpool supporter lurking around the old forums, you think he's back maybe? 😄

Edited by Holymoly
  • Haha 1

I read this morning that the club will not rush into finding a replacement and will instead interview several candidates. This is a level headed approach. Cannot assume that Nagelsmann (or any other available manager) will automatically be aligned to the strategy the board has.  After sacking Tuchel and their man Potter coupled with the amount of investment into the squad recently made, they cannot afford to get this next appointment wrong. 

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I did just read that although Nagelsmann has done well at lesser sides his football was very much based on counter attacking and is not particularly effective against the low block we face every week . Plus apparently Bayern Munich are winning games 5-4 /3-2 which is worrying.

I'd have to bow to Martin's greater knowledge of the league and the man and his methods .

His Leipzig team was the ultimate counter attacking team, they were phenomenal at it. Remember a lot of talk about Werner when he came and how he struggled to adapt to a more possession based team. They did press high and quick but if teams broke through their press that would sit back and counter.

Bayern though have been a different beast under him, a very attacking  4231 playing a high press with a lot of width. 

The won the ball back quick, or at least tried to and would spring forward with fast direct attacks. The press was relentless with the full backs having to press high if the wide plays moved more central when they didn't have the ball.

Kimmich would always be the one to drop deep, Nagelsmann has spoken a lot about how important his DM is, to almost create a back three without the ball and allow Goretzka to help win the ball back and bomb forward when they did.

They scored 112 goals in 37 games which is ridiculous.

54 minutes ago, Liquidator said:

Big problem with Nagelsmann is ....There are not many/any song lyrics where you can incorporate his name to a catchy terrace chant imho.....

I'm guessing it would be the usual chant to "Here We Go"  etc etc

18 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Listening to all the usual Monday football podcasts, and they all feel a bit sorry for Graham Potter.

He currently isn't good enough for a Champions League winning and League title winning Club. It's as simple as that. Nothing to feel sorry for.  He had a chance and wasn't good enough. 

He's a really excellent coach. 

Until he turns up at "their" side. 

48 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Listening to all the usual Monday football podcasts, and they all feel a bit sorry for Graham Potter.

He currently isn't good enough for a Champions League winning and League title winning Club. It's as simple as that. Nothing to feel sorry for.  He had a chance and wasn't good enough. 

I have to say the way the english journos in particular have protected Potter has largely been an embarrassment.

Throughout his tenure they have not nearly been critical enough as a whole, helped with the excuse making and ultimately led to a lot of fan anger. Guess what hack journalists - the fans HAVE SPOKEN!

I have absolutely no idea who our next manager should be, but from the list, I know a few I don’t want.

Bielsa is the strange guy who sits on his own seat, no.

Brendan Rodgers, no.  Would be a ridiculous appointment.

De Zerbi, I think we’ve learnt that lesson, no.

ZZ, can’t take to him, no.

Conte, too disruptive and didn’t behave well leaving the club, no.

GS? Maybe with Steve Holland, but actually, no.

JT or FL.  Frank won’t come back and JT has zero experience as a manager, no.

Jose, adored him but his time has passed, no.

🤷‍♀️

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, paulw66 said:

As much as I can understand the sentiment with Mourinho, I am really not convinced he would be the best choice at bringing through all the young talent we have recently hoovered up. 

I could get behind Poch, as although he hasn't won anything; he overachieved with Spurs, and a lot of young players improved under him.

Most of the other choices are too horrible to consider. Enrique? Would worry me a lot. Managing Barca and Spain is a very different gig to the PL.

JN for me.  

Thinking about it, it would be funny if Poch came here and did well. 

They have tried Hoddle, AVB, Jose and Conte after they had managed us, and none of them did as well there as they did for us. 

2 hours ago, Holymoly said:

There used to be that Liverpool supporter lurking around the old forums, you think he's back maybe? 😄

Come on! I confess. And yes, I know crusifiction is popular around these days, but please note my argument: NOT  as a long-term manager but for the rest of the season only!!

Are there ANY way of forgiveness or do I have to close my account 🤣🥺🤣🥺🤣🥺

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

Come on! I confess. And yes, I know crusifiction is popular around these days, but please note my argument: NOT  as a long-term manager but for the rest of the season only!!

You dare!!!!!

100% free speech and opinions on here (apart from personal abuse).

No forgiveness needed 😉

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

If we were back in the Middle Ages you’d have been burnt at the stake for being a heretic!

Since we’re not, you’ll need to go and sit on the naughty step and think about what you did!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sciatika said:

I don't really know much about football outside England because I don't watch enough of it to feel my opinion is reliable. I find myself wanting to eliminate people rather than having a choice that I really like. I wouldn't mind someone who has been successful with a team with lower expectations, like Frank, de Zerbi or Silva, but that didn't exactly work out with GP. I wouldn't go for an inexperienced candidate for anything other than an interim, which seems to knock out Saltor, JT, and SFL. I am not sure  about bringing back a manager like TSO or FSW. Conte would end up in fistfights with the owners. I am not a fan of Poch, Rodgers, Southgate or the football played by some Simeone teams (maybe I am being unfair and tarring him on the basis of reputation).  I liked Zidane as a player (who didn't!), but is he a good coach? He was quite successful but also seems a bit excitable. Maybe, that's what the fans need. Also, we need to consider who would be up for it. Sometimes the people who are most keen to do a thing are often the ones we least want. So I am left with going back to someone like  Nagelsmann or Enrique because I know less about them than others. Not exactly a glowing report. Whoever it is, they will get my support.

Thank you for voicing my thoughts..I looked at the list and honestly can't feel any real confidence or enthusiasm for anyone.

My serendipity side would love to see Jose back for a last hurrah... but my pragmatic side

is sniggering . 

I want to see some swagger on the sideline and on the pitch.

No choice as yet from me...my gut said no to GP from almost the start..a completely illogical echo I feel for the Baglemann! 

43 minutes ago, JaneB said:

I have absolutely no idea who our next manager should be, but from the list, I know a few I don’t want.

Bielsa is the strange guy who sits on his own seat, no.

Brendan Rodgers, no.  Would be a ridiculous appointment.

De Zerbi, I think we’ve learnt that lesson, no.

ZZ, can’t take to him, no.

Conte, too disruptive and didn’t behave well leaving the club, no.

GS? Maybe with Steve Holland, but actually, no.

JT or FL.  Frank won’t come back and JT has zero experience as a manager, no.

Jose, adored him but his time has passed, no.

🤷‍♀️

Excellent post Jane.