Who will the next permanent Chelsea manager be?

Who should be next Chelsea manager?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• Julian Nagelsmann
    • Bruno Saltor
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Luis Enrique
    • Mauricio Pochettino
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Diego Simeone
    • John Terry
    • Frank Lampard
    • Ruben Amorim
    • Thomas Frank
    • Hansi Flick
    • Antonio Conte
    • Marco Silva
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Ange Postecoglou
    • Gareth Southgate
    • Marco Bielsa

This poll is closed to new votes

Putting this together for those interested in knowing more about (our future manager 😉) Ange "Big Ange" Postecoglou. 

Will start with this interview first from about 6 months ago. It's a little bit of a longer listen (20 odd minutes) but it gives a bit of a general overview of what Ange is like, the football he wants to play, and all that sort of jazz. 

Posted this one before but gives you a little look of what he's like on the training pitch. 

Again, another I might have shared before but can't remember. This was from when he was manager of the Australian NT, giving a bit of a speech.

And finally, more geared at what to expect tactically.

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

So are you saying when Rudi and Christensen became free agents in January. Marina & Co didn’t draw up a list of replacements because they new Roman was going to be sanctioned mid March?

Maybe Marina & Co dinner in February with TT and his staff was to give them a head up of what was to come in March?

Rudiger and Christensen were the start of our freefall into the state we are in now.

I said many times Rudiger and Christensen were probably the best defensive pairing in the premiership.

They were stalwarts,and now we have a team full of doubts at an eye watering cost.

13 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Rudiger and Christensen were the start of our freefall into the state we are in now.

Hard to argue with, tbh. 

I said many times Rudiger and Christensen were probably the best defensive pairing in the premiership.

And you were correct!

They were stalwarts,and now we have a team full of doubts at an eye watering cost.

Ditto.

8 hours ago, ROTG said:

So are you saying when Rudi and Christensen became free agents in January. Marina & Co didn’t draw up a list of replacements because they new Roman was going to be sanctioned mid March?

Maybe Marina & Co dinner in February with TT and his staff was to give them a head up of what was to come in March?

I see @xceleryx has already replied, in much the same vein as I would have. Interviews that Rudiger has given since leaving explain all you need to know about Marina's brinkmanship prior to the sanctions. It's also clear, from numerous sources both within the club and beyond, that CFC essentially shut down during the sanctions. If they weren't even answering phones, I doubt they were compiling lists of transfer targets.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, asvaberg said:

I have the fishing equipment I need here in my boat in Norway and the fish is fresh and healthy. 

And I'm grateful for your offering in help and chicken 🙂 🙂

If you’re on the Alta river as I was last December you’ll have all the salmon you need!

• Like 1

From The Sunday Telegraph (may be behind a paywall for some)

Reading the article, it seems Matt Law is suggesting that Postecoglu isn't "the third man" after all.  Mind you, I suggest you take every word with a pinch of salt.

Chelsea players back Mauricio Pochettino as next manager

By Matt Law, Football News Correspondent
2–3 minutes

Chelsea players are excited by the prospect of Mauricio Pochettino becoming the club’s next permanent head coach.

Pochettino has emerged as the favourite to permanently succeed Graham Potter following a series of positive talks between the Argentine and Chelsea.

Chelsea’s admiration of Pochettino is advancing with the club hoping to settle on their new man soon, following a process led by co-sporting directors Paul Winstanley and Laurence Stewart.

The move towards Pochettino has been welcomed in the Chelsea dressing-room, with players said to be positive and excited about his possible appointment.

Chelsea’s England players have international team-mates who have worked under Pochettino at Tottenham Hotspur and there is acknowledgement in the squad for his coaching skills, together with his reputation for being a good man-manager and motivator.

Pochettino is also viewed as a coach with the sort of profile and experience, having also been in charge at Paris Saint-Germain, befitting of Chelsea by some of the more experienced and successful members of the club’s squad.

The arrival of Pochettino would not be good news for all of Chelsea’s players, though, as the 51-year-old would back plans for a clear-out to cut the current 31-man squad down in time for the start of pre-season.

Pochettino is at the top of a shortlist that has been cut down to three, along with Vincent Kompany and one unnamed candidate. Chelsea have carried out thorough due diligence on Feyenoord’s Arne Slot and Celtic’s Ange Postecoglou.

Chelsea had been fearful that Pochettino’s association to Spurs could be a difficulty, but those worries have now subsided significantly and the Argentine is not thought to see it as an issue as he has not yet been contacted over the vacancy at Tottenham.

Were Spurs or Real Madrid to make a late move, then Pochettino would be faced with a decision to make but there is currently not thought to be anything stopping him from accepting an offer from Chelsea should it arrive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, kev61 said:

They only ever looked good in a back 5 - both were not so good when playing in a back 4

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Based on Rudigers interview after leaving we were in contracts talks with him during the season which begun in August between himself, his brother and Marina. An offer was put forward which he wasn't happy with, then radio silence from Marina until the 3rd of January, which is when they spoke again. Negotiations continued and then the sanctions hit shortly after. From that point onwards things were stuck until the sanctions were lifted. With the uncertainty around the club, a contract that was ending in June, and interest from other clubs, he ultimately agreed to join Real Madrid because he didn't want to wait until June to sort his future. 

I doubt Marina & Co were arranging replacements (for Rudiger at least) while in active contract talks to extend.

That is only one side of the story, however the Real Madrid offer of 400k was on the table in February before sections, therefore like most professional clubs, Marina & Co would started the process of looking at alternatives.

image.thumb.png.b6132f01b7ba2cb0799fc351ad137c46.png

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

I see @xceleryx has already replied, in much the same vein as I would have. Interviews that Rudiger has given since leaving explain all you need to know about Marina's brinkmanship prior to the sanctions. It's also clear, from numerous sources both within the club and beyond, that CFC essentially shut down during the sanctions. If they weren't even answering phones, I doubt they were compiling lists of transfer targets.

Answer to @xceleryx post

2 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Absolutely. Didn’t Rudiger get taken apart in a 4? 

West Ham game comes to mind when he was taken to the cleaners, I believe that's when him and Frank fell out

On the other hand it could be said it was Franks coaching

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Chelsea players back Mauricio Pochettino as next manager

It certainly looks like he's firming up (ohh Matron!). I'm not a fan as I don't believe we will win anything with him however I am prepared to accept that he may be the best bet to try and sort out the mess we presently find ourelves in. At that point we can ditch him and bring in the man that will be able to deliver those trophies to us I guess.

• Agree 1

Just now, Bones said:

Why didnt Poch succeed at PSG?

I think many coaches would struggle with players like Mbappe and Neymar both believing they know best.  It's the attitude of the players that makes a winning team, those two are entitled bellends. 

• Haha 1

Poch used a pressing style at Spurs if he persisted with that at PSG could not see that going down well and also here we would need potentially different players. There were rumours he wanted Mount to stay and Mount was one of our best at closing down from the front before Potter.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think many coaches would struggle with players like Mbappe and Neymar both believing they know best.  It's the attitude of the players that makes a winning team, those two are entitled bellends. 

And Neymar with the weird sister thing 🤣

13 minutes ago, jasonb said:

Poch used a pressing style at Spurs if he persisted with that at PSG could not see that going down well and also here we would need potentially different players. There were rumours he wanted Mount to stay and Mount was one of our best at closing down from the front before Potter.

Tough luck! They’ll have to get used to it. And a top DM like 🍚 and a proper striker will make a big difference. 

Okay I've calmed down a bit from Friday.

I do think it reflects badly on the club and owners that we have a final shortlist of Poch, Kompany and Postecoglou. Perhaps the process really has been thorough and is something we can trust in. It seems like this could have been kept better under wraps and if we ended up with Poch from the beginning, many people wouldn't have complained.

Amazing that I don't even mind Postecoglou as an outsider candidate - having him and Kompany on the final three is a joke though and undermines the owners no end. 

I am sure fans can get behind Poch and even if he can't take us to the promised land, like maybe we hoped Nagelsmann could over a 5-10 year period, he could be a good fit for managing this crazy interim period and then we can look again from there.

Again though - the sum total of this process is more destruction in confidence of the owners. Our final shortlist is an absolute joke and if heaven forbid Poch drops out and we're left with a final two of Kompany and Postecoglou - is there any words for that?

It would really be time then IMO - to start the process of trying to get the owners out of the club. Already there are serious doubts about them and they should not disappear if we hire Poch.

I can trust now that maybe Nagelsmann was temperamentally unfit and if he didn't want to go through multiple interview rounds, maybe it would have blown up sooner or later anyway. 

Call me old fashioned - I would have just straight up given it to the best manager available (Nagelsmann or Enrique) and Poch is a level below them, but there is still a sliver of hope that the owners know what they are doing and Poch is the best transitional manager available.

Edited by Max Fowler

1 minute ago, Max Fowler said:

Call me old fashioned - I would have just straight up given it to the best manager available (Nagelsmann or Enrique) and Poch is a level below them, but there is still a sliver of hope that they know what they are doing and Poch is the best transitional manager available.

You can't do it that way because if you are trying to build a club identity where there is a football department in charge of identifying the best players based on research and statistics you need to have a manager or coach on board who buys into this philosophy. 

It's not good pouring money into a system and finding that the coach wants his players for his system which is why Conte wouldn't work here and I suspect that's why Enrique and Nagelsmann have been canned /pulled out. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

You can't do it that way because if you are trying to build a club identity where there is a football department in charge of identifying the best players based on research and statistics you need to have a manager or coach on board who buys into this philosophy. 

It's not good pouring money into a system and finding that the coach wants his players for his system which is why Conte wouldn't work here and I suspect that's why Enrique and Nagelsmann have been canned /pulled out. 

I don’t think Poch is the type to be dictated to etc tbh, and while it’s tempting to think in black and white terms on this issue I suspect it’s more a case of somewhere in between.

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I can understand why those two have been canned Mark, I just think it should have been a final three of Enrique, Nagelsmann and Poch and then if they decided on Poch few of us could have complained. 

It's impossible to imagine that Postecoglou and particularly Kompany are better candidates for this period, even if Enrique and Nags were ultimately too combustible.

It feels like Ange and Kompany weren't even in the race and then got tacked on at the end due to the whims of the owners.

Just now, Max Fowler said:

I can understand why those two have been canned Mark, I just think it should have been a final three of Enrique, Nagelsmann and Poch and then if they decided on Poch few of us could have complained. 

It's impossible to imagine that Postecoglou and particularly Kompany are better candidates for this period, even if Enrique and Nags were ultimately too combustible.

It feels like Ange and Kompany weren't even in the race and then got tacked on at the end due to the whims of the owners.

I think Postecoglu has already been dismissed as incorrect he is not the mystery candidate. 

Just now, Mark Kelly said:

I think Postecoglu has already been dismissed as incorrect he is not the mystery candidate. 

I mean Kompany being on that final list is bad enough. Especially after what happened with Potter!

I can only hope that the owners came up with Kompany themselves and the senior people in charge who know football will ultimately talk them out of him. How he made the final list at all though - is beyond me.

I thought we had multiple rounds to get to this point - how is he still in the final three?!