Who will the next permanent Chelsea manager be?

Who should be next Chelsea manager?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• Julian Nagelsmann
    • Bruno Saltor
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Luis Enrique
    • Mauricio Pochettino
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Diego Simeone
    • John Terry
    • Frank Lampard
    • Ruben Amorim
    • Thomas Frank
    • Hansi Flick
    • Antonio Conte
    • Marco Silva
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Ange Postecoglou
    • Gareth Southgate
    • Marco Bielsa

This poll is closed to new votes

10 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I can understand why those two have been canned Mark, I just think it should have been a final three of Enrique, Nagelsmann and Poch and then if they decided on Poch few of us could have complained. 

It's impossible to imagine that Postecoglou and particularly Kompany are better candidates for this period, even if Enrique and Nags were ultimately too combustible.

It feels like Ange and Kompany weren't even in the race and then got tacked on at the end due to the whims of the owners.

Well, you got your wish as we have  met Enrique, Nagelsmann and Pochettino so the first, last and only three ARE the ones you mention.

The other two may or may not be of interest to us, personally I very much doubt it. 

3 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I mean Kompany being on that final list is bad enough. Especially after what happened with Potter!

I can only hope that the owners came up with Kompany themselves and the senior people in charge who know football will ultimately talk them out of him. How he made the final list at all though - is beyond me.

I thought we had multiple rounds to get to this point - how is he still in the final three?!

I think it’s just PR to make Pochettino look like the best choice. I find it hard to believe that if say Real Madrid come in for Pochettino, and he has his head turned, that we’d be left with a choice between Kompany or Postecoglu. Even our Board isn’t that daft. 

3 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Well, you got your wish as we have  met Enrique, Nagelsmann and Pochettino so the first, last and only three ARE the ones you mention.

The other two may or may not be of interest to us, personally I very much doubt it. 

Got a funny feeling Poch might be offer the spuds job tonight. 

9 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

I think it’s just PR to make Pochettino look like the best choice. I find it hard to believe that if say Real Madrid come in for Pochettino, and he has his head turned, that we’d be left with a choice between Kompany or Postecoglu. Even our Board isn’t that daft. 

Sadly I think they are entirely that daft.

12 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Either way it makes us look silly.

And you would have to believe they didn't have a three hour call with Kompany.

I would prefer to believe that talking to different candidates with different backgrounds like Kompany helped them come to the conclusion that Poch was the best man for the job.

No need to brief the fans with these candidates.

Just now, Chelsea_Matt said:

Reported methods. Respectfully, none of us knows what’s going on and 99.9999999% of the media coverage is made up. 

Why would they make up Postecoglou and Kompany though? I can understand false stories about one leading candidate being the favourite- seems unlikely they would fabricate those curveballs.

1 minute ago, boratsbrother said:

On Wednesday night, I wonder if there will be strong enough anti-Poch feelings for there to be chants by the fans making it clear to the board that they don't want him? 

Who's anti Pochettino?

I don't know anyone, quite the opposite in fact, literally everyone I know thinks he would be a very good appointment at this point. I'm talking about  season ticket holders that go home and away. I don't know anyone that is against him.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

On Wednesday night, I wonder if there will be strong enough anti-Poch feelings for there to be chants by the fans making it clear to the board that they don't want him? 

Why. 
he will be the spuds new coach by then. 
5-0 down at HT, bye bye Stellini. 

7 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Who's anti Pochettino?

I don't know anyone, quite the opposite in fact, literally everyone I know thinks he would be a very good appointment at this point. I'm talking about  season ticket holders that go home and away. I don't know anyone that is against him.

There are some on here (myself included)  who think it's sad jokd that we've ended up with him as our best choice.

Appointing Poch would be a huge lowering of expectations! It will be us accepting we can no longer challenge the best so are happy to become the Arsenal of the last 20 years. 

Though we are currently  miles off from the likes of City, we should always aim to reach that highest level. You know as well as I do that Poch will never be the level of manager to get us to that level.

Edited by boratsbrother

10 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Who's anti Pochettino?

Key is "at this point". But fair enough you have the pulse of the STs!

Just now, Max Fowler said:

Key is "at this point". But fair enough you have the pulse of the STs!

Absolutely. 

Pochettino is quite possibly the best candidate for the job that needs to be done at this point. 

Whoever it is won't be here in two years time so at that point we re-evaluate where we are and go again.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

There are some on here (myself included)  who think it's sad jokd that we've ended up with him as our best choice.

Which is fine but I can pretty much guarantee there won't be many, if any at the game that will even contemplate singing anything anti Pochettino. 

There certainly isn't the ill feeling towards him from match going fans as there is online. Nothing like it. 

4 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Absolutely. 

Pochettino is quite possibly the best candidate for the job that needs to be done at this point. 

Whoever it is won't be here in two years time so at that point we re-evaluate where we are and go again.

Poch is as good as any EPL side could expect to at least look at..forget the spuds connection...really irrelevant once past the "knee jerk" tribalism...as ever TFSW was a unique situation not the norm..

For all the +/- arguments it will ..if it happens...not be a wishy washy "don't be nasty to the opposition" approach pre/post and match play.....

4 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Which is fine but I can pretty much guarantee there won't be many, if any at the game that will even contemplate singing anything anti Pochettino. 

There certainly isn't the ill feeling towards him from match going fans as there is online. Nothing like it. 

No need to defend Poch he will be at the spud tomorrow

spuds losing 6-1 with 25 minutes to go. 

On 21/04/2023 at 17:37, thevelourfog said:

On this bit ... The average shelf-life of a PL manager is 18 months. We are not getting back to what I consider to be the highest level (either winning the title or being in a genuine race for it, 85ish points and in the running until late on, CL semis as an expectation rather than pleasant surprise) in that time no matter who is in charge. The level we should be at in that time is top 4 and CL qualification, ideally comfortably, and with a settled squad and playing identity... [snip]

Thanks @thevelourfog. I've done some reflecting and I've come to the conclusion that Pochettino is the right appointment for us. You are absolutely right about the reality of getting back to the level I was referring to. It probably isn't going to be feasible whoever was doing it. This squad isn't going to be turned around the way Conte did it, and the circumstances are totally different. For better or worse, the very DNA of this club and team have changed. We have to accept this situation now and push back to the top 4 asap.

I think Pochettino has several good sides. First, it is widely reported that many players have enjoyed working with him. I think having a manager the players feel they actually want to play for is vital. Despite the "lads gave everything" meme under Potter... they didn't. They haven't for a good while.

Second, even if he is not elite, he brings considerable experience relative to candidates we were linked with. His tactics are pretty solid and, crucially for me, I can't see him bamboozling our squad with weird hipster systems that are supposed to be amazing but show little reward. I've had enough of that personally. Simple(ish) but effective is what we need.

Third, he does have a good record of developing young, raw players. Our club is absolutely stacked with those. Even if Poch isn't here next time we challenge for the title, we may look back at him as having a vital role in developing the squad that did so. 

Fourth, he did well with Spurs. I know he didn't win a trophy there, but neither did Mourinho or Conte. Indeed I think Spurs are the only club neither won anything at. That's because Spurs are institutionally broken, and that starts and ends with Daniel Levy. There will always be a ceiling while he owns the club. Considering this, I think it's remarkable he got top four regularly and got to a CL final. At PSG he was alrightish. I think the season he didn't win the league he joined halfway through.

It may be that this is a "meh" appointment for a lot of people overall, but I feel relative to our position he's a  solid choice. As I said, he might not be the guy who takes is back to title challenging quickly, but I certainly think we would take many steps forward with him. 

@Proud-Blue

Very sensible analysis and one I agree with.

Get some basic solidarity on the playing side and build on that...nothing will change overnight .

Agree or disagree with the Poch approach we should expect a serious application of grown up football at Cobham,SB and all away grounds....

50 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Who's anti Pochettino?

Agreed. This anti -Poch notion at Chelsea is a tiny minority.

• Agree 1