Who will the next permanent Chelsea manager be?

Who should be next Chelsea manager?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• Julian Nagelsmann
    • Bruno Saltor
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Luis Enrique
    • Mauricio Pochettino
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Diego Simeone
    • John Terry
    • Frank Lampard
    • Ruben Amorim
    • Thomas Frank
    • Hansi Flick
    • Antonio Conte
    • Marco Silva
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Ange Postecoglou
    • Gareth Southgate
    • Marco Bielsa

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

It’s a mentality thing, and I hope the players can do it. Oh for a peak Dennis Wise; cracking player, expert at the dark arts!

1 hour ago, chrisb said:

Getting Nicky Butt sent off after a cheeky leg nip springs to mind!

Can you imagine how many red cards he would get these days?! 

• Haha 2

On 23/04/2023 at 19:28, Mark Kelly said:

You know those "Strawman" arguments you don't like? 

What you say here is one of them. 

We have moaned and moaned that we never discover players anymore , instead buying players other sides are chasing or buying players that have already proven themselves, we've now invested heavily on a backroom staff to hunt these players down and you're dismissive of then because "TB Brighton". 

This is an avenue the club have been down before under Emenalo when the signed the likes of KDB, Lukaku, Salah, with the end result of all being moved on because they were not good enough for the first team squad at that point in time. 
The academy should and  is producing HG players to support the first team squad.

I am all for a new recruitment regime, however it should be working with the Coach to bring in player to stabilise of improve the squad, along with tactical recruitment e.g. low cost snr players who are good for a season or two will be happy to bench warm and can do a job when asked.  
All we got in January was an undisciplined recruitment department spending millions on players which have sent the club into further decline and has ultimately left the in a precarious position of firing a coach who ethos they thought they were fulfilling and now have to restrict their recruitment campaign to hiring a new coach who is will to work with a bunch of misfits put together by people’s egos rather than squad improvements. That philosophy may work at Brighton level clubs, however it’s not a philosophy for a top 4 team. 
The top teams recruit top players to keep them ahead of the chasing pack. Unfortunately Chelsea will now be part of the chasing pack, until the coach is given some of the reins back and allowed to develop a team with an identity.

do you think someone like Declan Rice would even consider Chelsea at this stage of his career compared with the Chelsea at the end of last season?

On 23/04/2023 at 19:28, Mark Kelly said:

Brighton have half a dozen players who'd walk into our team and they were identified by the TB Brighton bunch you're constantly digging out. 

Let’s sign them and one can hope they are successful as Cucurella, and rejoice at mid table obscurity 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Vinny Jones would have received his red cards during the pre match warm up

I remember being at SB at an FA Cup match against his old team Sheff Utd in 1991 or 1992 and he got booked in the first ten seconds for what seemed to be a premeditated lunge 🤣

• Like 1

Just now, Chelsea_Matt said:

I remember being at SB at an FA Cup match against his old team Sheff Utd in 1991 or 1992 and he got booked in the first ten seconds for what seemed to be a premeditated lunge 🤣

Although the consensus seems to be that Dennis and Vinny would be booked and sent off as soon as feasible these days it's really dependent on whether they were playing for us or against us . 

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Although the consensus seems to be that Dennis and Vinny would be booked and sent off as soon as feasible these days it's really dependent on whether they were playing for us or against us . 

Fun fact - as far as I can see, Vinnie never got a red card playing for us

https://www.transfermarkt.com/vinnie-jones/leistungsdatenverein/spieler/136042

Dennis Wise - 4 reds and 3 red/from yellow - but he played 415 matches for us

https://www.transfermarkt.com/dennis-wise/leistungsdatenverein/spieler/4006

28 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

But did it help them much? For me it looks more like "running around like headless chicken" with this win%

image.png.d082aab412278d674318c7aff1bb273f.png

Context helps.

2012/13

• Southampton's first season back in the Premier League.
  • Poch takes over January 18th with Southampton 15th on 22 points. 
  • Finishes 14th on 41 points.
  • Lost only 5 games in the league after Poch arrived, had lost 10 under Nigel Adkins to begin the season.

2013/14

• Poch's first full season in charge, finishes 8th on 56 pts.
  • Includes winning 6 of the opening 11 games of the season, and remaining unbeaten for nearly 2 months. 
  • Southampton's best finish since 2002/03
  • Leaves end of season with the club's ownership situation changing during the season. 
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

Job number 1, decide 10-15 players to leave. With no Europe at all next season we need to have a fire sale. 

Well there’s not a lack of candidates for that! 

Arrizabalaga, Mendy, Azpilicueta, Loftus-Cheek, Zakaria, Gallagher, Chukwuemeka, Aubameyang, Pulisic, Felix, Broja, Ziyech, D Fofana, Hall, Hutchinson, Vale, Webster, Burstow, Sarr, Ampadu, Colwill, Maatsen, Baba Rahman, D Sterling, Bakayoko, Anjorin, Casadei, Santos, Lukaku, Hudson-Odoi are all candidates to be sold, loaned out or released. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

Yes, indeed - but it's still win rate below what we would tolerate, right?

Having fitness allows our players to leverage their skills to implement a strategy to achieve success. Our success may be greater than, say, Saints or Spurs, because we have better players. In order for those players to be the best that they can be, they must be as fit as they can be. Of course, we need other things like application, determination and a management team who can meld us together and provide strategy and direction and so on.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asvaberg said:

But did it help them much? For me it looks more like "running around like headless chicken" with this win%

image.png.d082aab412278d674318c7aff1bb273f.png

Well what sort of win percentage would you expect, inheriting a Southampton mid season who had won 5/22 PL games (22.7%)?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Context helps.

2012/13

• Southampton's first season back in the Premier League.
  • Poch takes over January 18th with Southampton 15th on 22 points. 
  • Finishes 14th on 41 points.
  • Lost only 5 games in the league after Poch arrived, had lost 10 under Nigel Adkins to begin the season.

2013/14

• Poch's first full season in charge, finishes 8th on 56 pts.
  • Includes winning 6 of the opening 11 games of the season, and remaining unbeaten for nearly 2 months. 
  • Southampton's best finish since 2002/03
  • Leaves end of season with the club's ownership situation changing during the season. 

Thank you. You did more research than I could be bothered with.

Taking over a team in 15th, and leaving them in 8th, 18 months later is a great achievement. Something a win percentage just doesn't cover. 

If all you want is win percentage, has Ten Hag done a better job than Thomas Frank, or Marco Silva, or De Zerbi?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

They are the kind of leaders on the pitch the club sadly lacks these days 

• Like 1
  • Angry 1
  • Agree 2

Happy with Poch if this is the route we seem to be going down. He would have certainly been in the top 3 candidates for me, so it's an appointment that I find quite exciting. 

I would also be pleased for him not to take over this mess now with a run of meaningless games. I really hope he is not visible in the background, but in regular and close dialogue with Frank over the final few weeks of the season.

Some big calls to make. A number of players need shipping out, whilst the need for some athletic, physical,  and mobile leaders at the club has never been clearer.

GK , DM, ST all crucial requirements in the summer.

• Agree 1

Could be totally wrong on this - but I get the impression that the Spuds  got / get away with so many fouls / yellow - red cards not because of the Pochettino's dark arts tutorial  BUT because Kane is the captain. 

Edited by Miguelito07

2 hours ago, Miguelito07 said:

Could be totally wrong on this - but I get the impression that the Spuds  got / get away with so many fouls / yellow - red cards not because of the Pochettino's dark arts tutorial  BUT because Kane is the captain. 

Lloris is the Spurs captain, not Kane, but I know what you're saying. Kane gets away with almost everything, he's a nasty player sometimes and he loves a dive as well!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Lloris is the Spurs captain, not Kane, but I know what you're saying. Kane gets away with almost everything, he's a nasty player sometimes and he loves a dive as well!

Imagine the culture shock should he join us , first time he tries the old backing in thing he gets yellow carded and then sent off for simulation when he's stumbled on purpose 

Edited by Mark Kelly
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 24/04/2023 at 18:08, Sleeping Dave said:

For me Pochettino was the clear and obvious choice for us to pursue. I u sweat and that the board was keen to have a formal round of interviews to gather a better picture of the candidates, but for me he was a stand out choice from the beginning. He ticks a lot of boxes;

His teams are hard to beat and has a nasty streak in them

He plays an adventurous style of football

He likes fast, high tempo football with a high press

He seems to be a manager young players want to play for 

I for one will be happy to see him here. Some variation of 433/4123/4231 will almost certainly be employed and I think that suits the current squad. He will have to get a DM, GK1 and S in during the summer and a truck load of deadwood out the door. But once that’s done I think we have a fairly good squad to build upon. 

I agree with your synopsis yet my fear is we do not have the players and fear a lot we have bought do not have the legs for a pressing game bar Mount if he ever regains his early form. 

Could mean we offload a lot we have recently purchased for perhaps three of Poch's choice, a DM, striker and pressing other forward.

Will be interesting to see how this develops.

Really hope Felix is gone technically good yet nowhere clinical enough.