Who will the next permanent Chelsea manager be?

Who should be next Chelsea manager?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• Julian Nagelsmann
    • Bruno Saltor
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Luis Enrique
    • Mauricio Pochettino
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Diego Simeone
    • John Terry
    • Frank Lampard
    • Ruben Amorim
    • Thomas Frank
    • Hansi Flick
    • Antonio Conte
    • Marco Silva
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Ange Postecoglou
    • Gareth Southgate
    • Marco Bielsa

This poll is closed to new votes

24 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

From The Athletic:

"Chelsea are now growing desperate to appoint Mauricio Pochettino as their next permanent manager after watching result tank in the past few weeks with five defeats in a row under Frank Lampard.

Pochettino’s leverage in talks to succeed Potter is being bolstered every time Chelsea take to the pitch [and lose]," The Athletic explains.

After everything that has happened this season, after all the hits to their credibility in this excruciating first campaign of their ownership, can owners Boehly and Eghbali now afford for the most proven candidate left on their shortlist — and so clearly the preferred choice — to walk away? [no way]"

Pochettino has been making some difficult demands from Chelsea before putting pen to paper as their next coach. Many of those demands are not necessarily money-related. 

According to sources, Poch doesn't want Chelsea co-owners storming his dressing room. He also wants complete control over transfers and player development. These are almost identical demands Thomas Tuchel made before being shown the Chelsea door."

Very reasonable requirements any top class manager who know their worth would ask for.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bones said:

Very reasonable requirements any top class manager who know their worth would ask for.

So what do we do with the massive transfer and recruitment committee employed by the club? 

7 minutes ago, Ham said:

So what do we do with the massive transfer and recruitment committee employed by the club? 

I would’ve thought that they would continue to do their jobs but Poch gets the final say on who comes in/out or he gives them positions/players to look for and they go off and do their stuff. 

• Agree 1

That 'article' is utter bull shit. Complete and utter nonsense and so badly written.

Who on earth thinks last night's result gives him more leverage? It was widely reported he'd verbally agreed a deal  before a ball was even kicked yesterday.

A manager that has come from Tottenham and PSG not understanding how modern football works and demanding full control on transfers is pure fabrication.

It's clearly written by an anti Chelsea 'journalist' that is just having a pop at us

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Wasn't part of the 'reason' for Tuchel getting sacked that he didn't want to be that involved in transfers?

Maybe I'm not remembering it right but I'm sure that's what quite a lot reported at the time.

Maybe paperwork? Surely he wanted his say to be valued of who he wants?

2 hours ago, Blue Moon said:

From The Athletic:

[SNIP]

According to sources, Poch doesn't want Chelsea co-owners storming his dressing room. He also wants complete control over transfers and player development. These are almost identical demands Thomas Tuchel made before being shown the Chelsea door."

Keeping Boehly & Co out of the dressing room before, during and after games I can understand.

What confuses me is that I thought Tuchel didn't want to be too involved in transfers... some input, yes, but he generally just wanted to be left alone to coach. So this idea of "complete control over transfers" flies in the face of what was generally believed to be the case seven or so months ago.

Not sure that in modern football - and certainly not at the biggest clubs - do managers have "complete control" over transfers, so I'm sceptical about this particular demand. 

51 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Wasn't part of the 'reason' for Tuchel getting sacked that he didn't want to be that involved in transfers?

Maybe I'm not remembering it right but I'm sure that's what quite a lot reported at the time.

Yep. Literally no club in the world gives a coach complete say over transfers, so there is literally no way Pochettino is demanding that. The Athletic's news is usually garbage, wouldn't pay any attention to it.

25 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Yep. Literally no club in the world gives a coach complete say over transfers, so there is literally no way Pochettino is demanding that. The Athletic's news is usually garbage, wouldn't pay any attention to it.

I would suspect it’s more to do with the calibre of player recruitment.
one would suspect his comments were more aligned to if you want to win things and go places you buy top quality players and not prospects. 

14 minutes ago, ROTG said:

I would suspect it’s more to do with the calibre of player recruitment.
one would suspect his comments were more aligned to if you want to win things and go places you buy top quality players and not prospects. 

I cannot imagine any coach negotiating to join a club would not be saying "I want to us to do X, Y and Z in the transfer market and I need to know you're broadly with me". That's completely standard. Literally no one demands "full control" or whatever the wording was, it would immediately end any negotiations. The Athletic just make shit up and people lap it up because they have a veneer of respectability. 

Edited by thevelourfog
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I cannot imagine any coach negotiating to join a club would not be saying "I want to us to do X, Y and Z in the transfer market and I need to know you're broadly with me". That's completely standard. Literally no one demands "full control" or whatever the wording was, it would immediately end any negotiations. The Athletic just make shit up and people lap it up because they have a veneer of respectability. 

99.9999999% of football “journalism” is exactly this - the easiest job in the world.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

99.9999999% of football “journalism” is exactly this - the easiest job in the world.

According to our sources, it's closer to 98.57% 

More as it comes in.....

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Like many said there is a lot of BS reporting from the media, however IMO there is some truth in the media reporting  that Poch hand is strengthened by the mess of the team plummeting under Frank and there are no other credible candidates left for TB sports department to save face, after the likes of JN & LE decided not to take the job or vice versa.

16 hours ago, paulw66 said:

no manager at any major club has sole decision making on transfers 

No but they work with DoF etc giving them an idea of where improvements are needed, something which was lacking during the last transfer window.

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

No but they work with DoF etc giving them an idea of where improvements are needed, something which was lacking during the last transfer window.

The vast majority of the players signed in the last transfer window were clearly bought under the premise of being the best young players for the future and not to immediately improve the side.  

I wonder how many of us would honestly say they would have chosen Emery to be our manager after TT departed?  Or Howe and Arteta? I know I wouldn't have!

All three have done great jobs this season and imho Emery should be a serious candidate for manager of the season for the job he's doing at Villa. 

12 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

I wonder how many of us would honestly say they would have chosen Emery to be our manager after TT departed?  Or Howe and Arteta? I know I wouldn't have!

All three have done great jobs this season and imho Emery should be a serious candidate for manager of the season for the job he's doing at Villa. 

Eddie Howe would have been my choice over GP any day. 

51 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

The vast majority of the players signed in the last transfer window were clearly bought under the premise of being the best young players for the future and not to immediately improve the side.  

So why are they part of creation of the over inflated first team squad, rather than being signed and sent to the U21 etc?

22 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Eddie Howe would have been my choice over GP any day. 

I think how he does next season with CL and all the other fanfare with coming within the top 4, is the best time to judge him.

One this is for sure, their recruitment department is light years ahead of TB sports dept.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ROTG said:

So why are they part of creation of the over inflated first team squad, rather than being signed and sent to the U21 etc?

I think how he does next season with CL and all the other fanfare with coming within the top 4, is the best time to judge him.

One this is for sure, their recruitment department is light years ahead of TB sports dept.

I just saw Isaak dribble past half of Everton's defence. Can any of our players do that?

Oh how much I miss the likes of Hazard and J.Cole!

21 minutes ago, ROTG said:

They're not are they? 

Other than Mudryk who's got Champions league experience the vast majority of them have barely featured. 

One could argue that considering how dreadfully the RA Sports department elite players are doing they should be getting more of an opportunity. 

Mind you when you're blaming them for losing against the majesty of Brentford when only one player signed in January played it's unlikely you'd consider that to be the case. 

3 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

I thought Emery was treated really poorly at Arsenal by the press / media, all because his English wasn't easy to understand, he became a figure of fun. 

He's got a great track record, and credit to Villa for being big enough to look past the narrative that was peddled here