Who will the next permanent Chelsea manager be?

Who should be next Chelsea manager?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• Julian Nagelsmann
    • Bruno Saltor
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Luis Enrique
    • Mauricio Pochettino
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Diego Simeone
    • John Terry
    • Frank Lampard
    • Ruben Amorim
    • Thomas Frank
    • Hansi Flick
    • Antonio Conte
    • Marco Silva
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Ange Postecoglou
    • Gareth Southgate
    • Marco Bielsa

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, Ham said:

IMG-20230503-WA0003.jpg

No way!  What has this overrated lummox ever done in the game? Sweet FA.  So what if he keeps teams in the Prem, so does Roy who is a better manager than this fat Donald Duck will ever be.  This should never ever darken footballs door ever again.  His football is crap. he is crap and so are his apologists

Rant over..

4 minutes ago, blueandproud said:

No way!  What has this overrated lummox ever done in the game? Sweet FA.  So what if he keeps teams in the Prem, so does Roy who is a better manager than this fat Donald Duck will ever be.  This should never ever darken footballs door ever again.  His football is crap. he is crap and so are his apologists

Rant over..

Edited by blueandproud

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Personally the media agenda against Boehly is creating the narrative about our club.

Firstly , we didn't go under so they didn't like that and secondly he's American and they definitely didn't like that .

Maybe he should attend games with a tea towel on his head so they leave him well alone?

He's made mistakes no question of that , sacking TT was knee jerk , he then fell for the legend of Potter propagated by the Ing-Er-land Muppets in the press which were his first two . Trying to get everything done at the same time and upsetting the poor lambs in the squad was another .

Despite how abject Lampard is I truly believe we are giving the players far too much respect for the shit show they're serving up where they seemingly don't remember how to tackle , pass , score , take corners , free kicks or run.

Enough is enough they should have some professional pride for goodness sake.

Shortly before Noni scored last night he raced clear of the Arsenal midfield , chased down a lost cause and managed to cut the ball back from the touchline into the six yard area where two Chelsea players stood rooted to the spot , neither moving , like statues, until the Arsenal defence composed themselves after what felt like ten seconds of nothing and walked the ball out of the area and back into their attacking possession.

That's not on TB that's not even on the ineptitude of Lampard , that's players with no care or pride.

Enough is enough .

Sorry mate, that is utter cobblers. This is all on Boehly. Every decision he has made has demonstrated his failure to understand the culture of the club, the nature of English Football or the broader culture of European Football or footballers. Further, he has doubled down on his ignorance by not acknowledging, or apparently understanding that he is so totally out of his depth. He has dismantled the fabric of the club in the most crass way possible. Barring relegation (which although still possible, is at least extremely unlikely), he has done more damage to this club than should have been humanly possible given the resources already in place when he arrived. Our only hope is if Boehly and Egbali are removed from the club, or at least from any position of influence on recruitment, engagement with players, or anything to do with football. We are not too big to go down and we will certainly do so in the near future unless radical changes are made to the heart of the club.

The players haven't downed tools, they have just been stripped of any confidence, motivation, organisation or competent management. 

How you can be an apologist for Boehly and co against this backdrop is frankly jaw dropping mate. 

I am utterly furious with those over-confident, football-ignorant, culturally destitute muppets.

6 minutes ago, RDCW said:

Sorry mate, that is utter cobblers. This is all on Boehly. Every decision he has made has demonstrated his failure to understand the culture of the club, the nature of English Football or the broader culture of European Football or footballers. Further, he has doubled down on his ignorance by not acknowledging, or apparently understanding that he is so totally out of his depth. He has dismantled the fabric of the club in the most crass way possible. Barring relegation (which although still possible, is at least extremely unlikely), he has done more damage to this club than should have been humanly possible given the resources already in place when he arrived. Our only hope is if Boehly and Egbali are removed from the club, or at least from any position of influence on recruitment, engagement with players, or anything to do with football. We are not too big to go down and we will certainly do so in the near fim noguture unless radical changes are made to the heart of the club.

The players haven't downed tools, they have just been stripped of any confidence, motivation, organisation or competent management. 

How you can be an apologist for Boehly and co against this backdrop is frankly jaw dropping mate. 

I am utterly furious with those over-confident, football-ignorant, culturally destitute muppets.

I'm not debating how awful Boehly has been but rather pointing the finger at a bunch of clowns masquerading as footballers. 

Pre season we got tanked by Arsenal, Tuchel was by all accounts she'll shocked by how terrible their attitude was, since then they've been poor under Tuchel, awful under Potter and diabolical under Lampard. 

These players because of the Boehly have apparently forgotten now to run, how to mark, how to press, how to pass, how to tackle, how to take corners, how to take free kicks, how to shoot on goal. 

By every metric possible they have been found wanting and that's not because some of them had to get changed next door and they had their masseur sent away. 

They're getting away with murder. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'm not debating how awful Boehly has been but rather pointing the finger at a bunch of clowns masquerading as footballers. 

Pre season we got tanked by Arsenal, Tuchel was by all accounts she'll shocked by how terrible their attitude was, since then they've been poor under Tuchel, awful under Potter and diabolical under Lampard. 

These players because of the Boehly have apparently forgotten now to run, how to mark, how to press, how to pass, how to tackle, how to take corners, how to take free kicks, how to shoot on goal. 

By every metric possible they have been found wanting and that's not because some of them had to get changed next door and they had their masseur sent away. 

They aren't getting away with anything mate. They are damaging their reputation, their value and potentially their future earnings potential. In a game of confidence and small margins they have been made to feel like they can't win another match, which is why they won't. Boehly could not have been more effective in dismantling the morale of a squad if he had deliberately set out to do so.

1 minute ago, RDCW said:

They aren't getting away with anything mate. They are damaging their reputation, their value and potentially their future earnings potential. In a game of confidence and small margins they have been made to feel like they can't win another match, which is why they won't. Boehly could not have been more effective in dismantling the morale of a squad if he had deliberately set out to do so.

Apparently they're now complaining about Lampard and want him out too from reports possibly made up on the Internet. 

I expect he asked them to run about a bit the tartar. 

7 hours ago, Bones said:
"Six years ago we had a really bad season with Chelsea. Jose Mourinho left, Guus Hiddink came. He started to play younger players; Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Andreas Christensen, Tammy Abraham to give them experience for next year."
"I remember in April, they signed Antonio Conte. He came to the training ground, spoke to us individually, planned what he wanted to do with us to start fresh and we won the Premier League against Guardiola, Klopp, Mourinho. It's not impossible."
"This happened six years ago, I lived it. If you bring someone in with experience, character, with clear ideas and work hard."

Cesc Fabregas

Love this guy, I was in the Onori (expensive seats) at Como a few weeks back and stood next to Cesc when drinking my Prosecco (he was injured) and as he was his son I didnt want to interupt for a selfie. Sadly didnt see Dennis Wise that day. Regret it now. I will be back.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

My reluctance to pin too much of this on the players as individuals is I genuinely don't think you'd have seen much different from any other squad in last season's top 6 or 7 from last year in the same circumstances. Coaching is hugely important at the highest level where the margins are fine. Having three different coaches, even all of decent ability, in one season is going to be destabilising. And two of them were/are, frankly, incompetent. The other got something resembling a tune out of them, and we can now clearly see the work and skill that went into that.

When you play teams of decent ability who are coached and organised every week and you are not, you are going to lose. When you start to lose, you lose sight of the idea you might do anything else. I think the players have given up, but I don't think of it as a moral failing. It's an inevitable consequence of what has happened here. 

I think we might have expected a bit more leadership and resilience from some of them, but I doubt it would ever been enough. More than anything we just need to break the habit of losing, even if only because the season ends.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, exiledblue said:

Love this guy, I was in the Onori (expensive seats) at Como a few weeks back and stood next to Cesc when drinking my Prosecco (he was injured) and as he was his son I didnt want to interupt for a selfie. Sadly didnt see Dennis Wise that day. Regret it now. I will be back.

Belissimo!

• Like 1

No joke - if we don’t get Poch we have to go for De Zerbi. What a manager. Forget Potter - Brighton have been unbelievable (stats wise and on the pitch) under RDZ. Best attack in the league and top four defence for about the last 15 weeks. That guy has something special, although they also have some unbelievable players we could try and sign.

On 03/05/2023 at 17:18, RDCW said:

Sorry mate, that is utter cobblers. This is all on Boehly. Every decision he has made has demonstrated his failure to understand the culture of the club,

It's not quite as black and white as you would have it. in my opinion the main thing he has been guilty of is taking advice from the wrong people.

Consider. This was not a transfer of ownership like any other. Clearlake was not in a position to get all their ducks in a row before making an offer. This was a fire sale created by HMG. If the new owners were to be able to have a football club still able to operate they had to move quickly. Bear in mind that mormal takeovers move at the pace of tectonic plates shifting. Ours was the equivalent of the speed of light.

Accordingly while the priorities were to satisfy the due dilligence of fit and proper chaecks some short cuts had to be made elsewhere. By the time that Boehly was handed the keys to Cobham they also had to negotiate with the Pitchowners and attempt to formulate some sort of pre-season. Decisions were made at this point, many hasty, some proving to be wrong. However as I've said elsewhere the alternative was that the club disappeared and we would be left supporting Brentford. We can be a bunch of ungrateful herberts sometimes. Boehly et al were not duplicitous. They have spent an eye watering sum on our club that they can never walk away from. I believe there was a clause in the purchase agreement that they had to hold onto the club for at least 10 years. It is in their own interests to ensure some degree of success, Simon Jordan predicting challenging for the title within 5 years.

Let's wait and see what happens when/if MoPo is introduced as the next manager and how he gets on turning around the supertanker that is Chelsea FC. Notwithstanding all of this however you cannot allow the players to get off scot free. The very minimum we can expect is for them to do their best which they clearly have not, to the extent we now hear that many are discussing their options with agents rather than working in training sessions. No, Boehly and Clearlake are guilty of being naive, but they have been taken advantage of by agents and players alike. Blame them, not the team that spent a king's ransome on saving our club from ruin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

No joke - if we don’t get Poch we have to go for De Zerbi. What a manager. Forget Potter - Brighton have been unbelievable (stats wise and on the pitch) under RDZ. Best attack in the league and top four defence for about the last 15 weeks. That guy has something special, although they also have some unbelievable players we could try and sign.

Don’t need De Zerbi

Rather have his leader  Chelsea boy Dunk “if the price was right”

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

No, we don’t want to go there again.

• Agree 1

Spot on @Holymoly

Yes the new owners have made mistakes, but the performances on the pitch started declining long before they arrived. Their mistakes have exacerbated our nose-dive, but let's not pretend we were playing exciting, free-flowing football at the end of last season. And that wasn't entirely down to Tuchel having to juggle the job of coach along with club mouthpiece, transport manager, tea lady, etc., nor with players not caring or 'downing tools', nor having to get through sanctions, tough as that period was (indeed the fact that the club DID manage to get through the season is proof that the players did work together as a team both on and doff the pitch. I suspect it not only took a toll on Tuchel but many of the players too).

For too long we've had a lop-sided squad, and there was only so much juggling even a competent coach like Tuchel could manage before the wheels would start becoming wobbly. Under a less competent coach, they started to fall off, (not helped by making a lop-sided squad bloated beyond belief) and we're now in a position where the 'car' that is CFC is effectively sat on house bricks.

Let's get to the end of the season and put it down as a bad dream. Get a good coach in (Pochettino is still the most likely), let him wield the knife where it is necessary (even if it might upset some fans, even if it might upset the new owners if a recently purchased player is let go) and allow him to bring in two or three players he wants!

Irrespective of some of the doom and gloom on here, we have the basis of a good squad, more than capable of getting into the top four SO LONG AS they are competently coached. It's clear to me - and I'm sure it should be clear to more than one or two on here - that our fitness levels this season have been woeful and our coaching has lacked direction, cohesion and competence.

• Agree 3

^^I agree with Bob on this. The issues with the squad go back to several seasons of pretty abysmal recruitment. Tuchel was exasperated by the state of the squad, as he made clear on the US tour last summer when we were destroyed by a hungry, fit, organised and motivated Arsenal. Tuchel basically said 'Why would anyone expect any better given the players we've got?"Almost every player we attempted to sign (Raphina, de Ligt, de Jong, Koundé) failed to arrive, and we ended up panic-buying and over-paying for several players (KK, PEA, Fofana) who have almost all failed to perform (that was after the disastrous signings of Cucurella and Sterling for hugely inflated fees).

I wouldn't be shocked to learn that Tuchel's comments greatly damaged morale and his relationship with some of the squad. We were dreadful in the first few games (Spurs excepted), and we were also hit by a horrendous injury crisis that has lasted most of this shocker of a season. The players, almost to a man, are shadows of their former selves, and a lot are probably desperate to get away, as they need to for the good of their careers ( and the good of the club).

The issues with the squad (size, make-up, morale, injuries) were far too big for Potter to cope with, and it's clear that the January splurge only exacerbated the problems. 

A talented, experienced manager can rectify a lot of the issues, but no-one should be under any illusions about how hard a job that will be.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Sir. Have you been drinking?

Imho, the serious decline of the club started with Roman and his Visa problems. Before that problem he would go to Cobham on the days he didn't have business to attend to and be there on match days.  Thereafter he was hardly ever seen at the club and everything started to slowly go south.

Problems with our players were there with Sarri who moaned about them not moving the ball quick enough. TT moaned about exactly the same thing,  and here we are now.

10 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Problems with our players were there with Sarri who moaned about them not moving the ball quick enough

Unfortunately he was the instigator of the pass it to death without any end product mentality which has burned the squad ever since. That said when Frank first season there was a lot more energy and forward thinking in the side, however that got quashed as the season went on, and after getting humped a few times.

Midfield upgrades and a couple of chest thumping leaders are the first priority for who ever takes over the rains.

47 minutes ago, ROTG said:

The clubs inability to name a successor to GP is becoming a real concern or is it the case of  MP being a red herring and whoever the Sports Department want is employed?

According to my mate, It's done.

No 'official' announcement until the end of the season, nothing to gain by doing it now, potential to undermine Lampard was the reason for delaying, the thought process being that it would be incredibly difficult for him whilst everyone was talking about Pochettino at every single press conference. That feeling has been reiterated by our stupidly poor results. 

Pochettino will be in place as soon as this season ends.

I'm not sure if any of the reasons are true but if history is anything to go by it's very uncommon for a new manager to be announced whilst an interim is in charge. I may be wrong but I can't remember it ever happening, even if everyone knows who the next permanent manager will be.

The bookies have him at 1/20 so that in itself should tell us everything we need to know.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Unfortunately he was the instigator of the pass it to death without any end product mentality which has burned the squad ever since. That said when Frank first season there was a lot more energy and forward thinking in the side, however that got quashed as the season went on, and after getting humped a few times.

Midfield upgrades and a couple of chest thumping leaders are the first priority for who ever takes over the rains.

Sarri's Napoli played fast attacking football, which is something we wanted to see at Chelsea and why he was hired to come here. For some reason he couldn't get the players to play the way he wanted them to and neither could TT who is one of the top five managers in the world. Even with this load of new players we still move the ball so much slower than what we need to be doing. Whoever takes over has a very, very difficult job on his hands!

• Agree 1