Who will the next permanent Chelsea manager be?

Who should be next Chelsea manager?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• Julian Nagelsmann
    • Bruno Saltor
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Luis Enrique
    • Mauricio Pochettino
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Diego Simeone
    • John Terry
    • Frank Lampard
    • Ruben Amorim
    • Thomas Frank
    • Hansi Flick
    • Antonio Conte
    • Marco Silva
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Ange Postecoglou
    • Gareth Southgate
    • Marco Bielsa

This poll is closed to new votes

4 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Sarri's Napoli played fast attacking football, which is something we wanted to see at Chelsea and why he was hired to come here. For some reason he couldn't get the players to play the way he wanted them to and neither could TT who is one of the top five managers in the world. Even with this load of new players we still move the ball so much slower than what we need to be doing. Whoever takes over has a very, very difficult job on his hands!

It’s speed of thought. 

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

The clubs inability to name a successor to GP is becoming a real concern or is it the case of  MP being a red herring and whoever the Sports Department want is employed?

The curse of the modern world and the desperate need for instant gratification!

I suspect - and expect -both sides are having the conversations that they need to have before a contract is signed, rather than rushing into things, as happened last time.

There really is no rush, and that whoever is to be the next manager hasn't yet been announced can only be seen in a positive light for now. I would only be concerned if one or other party publicly announced they were no longer interested.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

It’s speed of thought. 

And currently most of the team don’t appear to have thoughts at any speed.

If this lot thought they’d farted they would in all probability have shit themselves.

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, JaneB said:

No, we don’t want to go there again.

I am not saying I'd have him above Poch, but I don't see many other possible better contenders than RDZ right now.

People told me off for saying I shouldn't rule out Poch just because he's ex-Spurs.

Let's not rule out RDZ just because he's Brighton.

2 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

For all the negativity around our spending I actually think we have put together a squad that, with one or two more, could seriously challenge City. No one can compete with them by going toe to toe. The teams that have won the league in the past decade, other than them, have been completely different. Leicester, ourselves and Liverpool. None of them tried to copy City.

We don't have the players to play possession football but we have similar players to what Pochettino had at Tottenham when he first went there.

I think we will see a completely different style of play next season and if it's implemented right the whole league will struggle with us as they are so used to trying to counteract teams that control the first and second third of the pitch. 

Pochettinos best Tottenham team would be a serious threat in this league right now they would, without a  doubt, be City's closet challengers. Interesting that year when they finished second to us on 87 points, is probably where the most similarities lie. He had a solid back 4 with two very attacking full backs. Dembele in cm with a more defensive minded player. Ericksen and Ali who were both really number 10's playing sort of hybrid roles. Both were capable of dropping into midfield, both capable of supporting the striker and both, at times capable of drifting wide. He only really played one out and out wide player, Son, but he often played more central and made  two upfront. I believe that copybook will be what he tries to implement here with the players we have. 

Our back four is, in my opinion the strongest part of our team with so many options but for the rest of them;

For Dembele think Enzo.

Ericksen/Ali - Mount/Nkunku.

Son - Mudryk or Sterling 

Clearly we need a proper DM but the way Wanyama played we could be looking more at Caicedo than Rice or as much as some won't agree Pochettino could use Kante there and get a tune out of him.

The striker situation is the most telling but that was when Kane played as more of a proper number 9 than he does now, with Son, Eriksen and Ali supporting him so maybe, just maybe we have that man returning from loan. It does sound like Pochettino wants to give him a proper go and rightly so in my opinion.

That 16/17 season they scored more goals than anyone and conceded the fewest. They were unbeaten at home, winning 17 out of 19. The problem for them that year wasn't that they weren't good enough it was that we were just better. Then what did they do? Knock down their ground and not back the manager at all in the transfer market. So, not only were they close they were utterly brilliant in the process.

Nearly all the pieces are there for him to implement something very similar here and as important as one or two additions maybe arguably the most important thing will be to get the man in on day one and give him the full, undisturbed pre season to get these players in shape. The fitness of his team's is unrivalled and these players won't know what's hit them. That will be THE key and along with no European football next year I genuinely believe we can start to dream a little. 

I think you're going a bit far, Martin. I can see us doing well - but there's a lot to fix and it's a very strong league. We're a very young team also. I say we could hope to be in and around the top 6 next season - top four or further seems a stretch.

@martin1905 Agree with almost all of the above (just the Kante bit I'm unsure about)

With Nkunku coming in, there's really only space for one of Mount and Havertz (I'm assuming we're NOT going to keep Felix), so I expect one of them to leave. The choice may not necessarily be the manager's/club's to make, though.

From all the rumours that are going around, it does seem Lukaku will returning. Nobody else seems to want him, so again, it seems we may have little choice.

Edited by Bob Singleton

16 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

For all the negativity around our spending I actually think we have put together a squad that, with one or two more, could seriously challenge City. No one can compete with them by going toe to toe. The teams that have won the league in the past decade, other than them, have been completely different. Leicester, ourselves and Liverpool. None of them tried to copy City.

We don't have the players to play possession football but we have similar players to what Pochettino had at Tottenham when he first went there.

I think we will see a completely different style of play next season and if it's implemented right the whole league will struggle with us as they are so used to trying to counteract teams that control the first and second third of the pitch. 

Pochettinos best Tottenham team would be a serious threat in this league right now they would, without a  doubt, be City's closet challengers. Interesting that year when they finished second to us on 87 points, is probably where the most similarities lie. He had a solid back 4 with two very attacking full backs. Dembele in cm with a more defensive minded player. Ericksen and Ali who were both really number 10's playing sort of hybrid roles. Both were capable of dropping into midfield, both capable of supporting the striker and both, at times capable of drifting wide. He only really played one out and out wide player, Son, but he often played more central and made  two upfront. I believe that copybook will be what he tries to implement here with the players we have. 

Our back four is, in my opinion the strongest part of our team with so many options but for the rest of them;

For Dembele think Enzo.

Ericksen/Ali - Mount/Nkunku.

Son - Mudryk or Sterling 

Clearly we need a proper DM but the way Wanyama played we could be looking more at Caicedo than Rice or as much as some won't agree Pochettino could use Kante there and get a tune out of him.

The striker situation is the most telling but that was when Kane played as more of a proper number 9 than he does now, with Son, Eriksen and Ali supporting him so maybe, just maybe we have that man returning from loan. It does sound like Pochettino wants to give him a proper go and rightly so in my opinion.

That 16/17 season they scored more goals than anyone and conceded the fewest. They were unbeaten at home, winning 17 out of 19. The problem for them that year wasn't that they weren't good enough it was that we were just better. Then what did they do? Knock down their ground and not back the manager at all in the transfer market. So, not only were they close they were utterly brilliant in the process.

Nearly all the pieces are there for him to implement something very similar here and as important as one or two additions maybe arguably the most important thing will be to get the man in on day one and give him the full, undisturbed pre season to get these players in shape. The fitness of his team's is unrivalled and these players won't know what's hit them. That will be THE key and along with no European football next year I genuinely believe we can start to dream a little. 

Loving the positivity 

11 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Yes the new owners have made mistakes, but the performances on the pitch started declining long before they arrived. Their mistakes have exacerbated our nose-dive, but let's not pretend we were playing exciting, free-flowing football at the end of last season. And that wasn't entirely down to Tuchel having to juggle the job of coach along with club mouthpiece, transport manager, tea lady, etc., nor with players not caring or 'downing tools', nor having to get through sanctions, tough as that period was (indeed the fact that the club DID manage to get through the season is proof that the players did work together as a team both on and doff the pitch. I suspect it not only took a toll on Tuchel but many of the players too).

There's an old Graeme Souness quote that says you need experienced old pros to lead a squad in adversity and that you only know the truth about a player when he is playing in adversity. I think we've learned a lot about our players over the last 12 months or so 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

There's an old Graeme Souness quote that says you need experienced old pros to lead a squad in adversity and that you only know the truth about a player when he is playing in adversity. I think we've learned a lot about our players over the last 12 months or so 

Then you had the quote from Alan Hansen  on BBC, you will win nothing with kids and it has been interesting watching Arsenal trying to cope with winning the league...........

2 hours ago, ROTG said:

The clubs inability to name a successor to GP is becoming a real concern or is it the case of  MP being a red herring and whoever the Sports Department want is employed?

He may already be signed up. Frank is already a dead man walking. We think things are bad now. They could yet get worse. Roll on the summer.

2 minutes ago, jasonb said:

Then you had the quote from Alan Hansen  on BBC, you will win nothing with kids and it has been interesting watching Arsenal trying to cope with winning the league...........

It's nice to think that Arsenal will come out of the season with the same amount of silverware as us. Ok they'll be in Europe next season but probably be home again by Christmas.

Edited by Michael Tucker
No need for that.
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, martin1905 said:

I'm not sure if any of the reasons are true but if history is anything to go by it's very uncommon for a new manager to be announced whilst an interim is in charge. I may be wrong but I can't remember it ever happening, even if everyone knows who the next permanent manager will be.

Conte - Announced in April before the Euros

24 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

The group is not strong enough physically or mentally, the squad need couple of leaders who can motivate a broken squad and can put the foot in on the field of play

On 01/05/2023 at 04:32, Michael Tucker said:

Kev, we were always likely to lose Mount. Nothing has changed in that department.

What do you mean always? I’d say no, we were certainly not always likely to lose Mount. That is all our own doing I’m afraid. 

7 minutes ago, ROTG said:

The group is not strong enough physically or mentally, the squad need couple of leaders who can motivate a broken squad and can put the foot in on the field of play

If Poch can do anything it's getting the foot in , I think we'll see much improvement on that score .

Sadly for me a new manager / coach will just lead to some of the players who should be being kicked up the ass as hard as physically possible on their way out getting another chance to underperform.

2 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

What do you mean always? I’d say no, we were certainly not always likely to lose Mount. That is all our own doing I’m afraid. 

I think a bit of it is on Mount too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

I think you're going a bit far, Martin. I can see us doing well - but there's a lot to fix and it's a very strong league. We're a very young team also. I say we could hope to be in and around the top 6 next season - top four or further seems a stretch.

I do not think the league is very strong at all. City aside, all the top teams are poor and then I'd argue that the likes of Newcastle, Brighton, Brentford, Villa, Fulham wouldn't be where they are in previous years, when the league genuinely was strong.

45 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Yep. Quite a 'bit'.

Out of genuine interest what do you mean? From my perspective, granted, not privy to any insider info whatsoever of course, the club could have extended his deal two seasons ago and given him a salary he so clearly deserved. I really can’t see why he’d have turned that down? 

37 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Out of genuine interest what do you mean? From my perspective, granted, not privy to any insider info whatsoever of course, the club could have extended his deal two seasons ago and given him a salary he so clearly deserved. I really can’t see why he’d have turned that down? 

They did and he did

• Like 1

4 hours ago, martin1905 said:

I do not think the league is very strong at all. City aside, all the top teams are poor and then I'd argue that the likes of Newcastle, Brighton, Brentford, Villa, Fulham wouldn't be where they are in previous years, when the league genuinely was strong.

But United clearly will go and get a proper striker and be stronger. Liverpool will be more integrated and surely stronger. City the same. Newcastle will definitely improve as well - hard to see them dropping off a lot. Arsenal strong again. Only one I could agree with is Brighton if they lose a lot of players. And Spurs look a bit rudderless right now.

IMO will be more competitive at the top next season as this season many of the big 6 have been weak - which is why Brentford, Brighton, Villa etc. have pushed so far up the table.

I mean again - can I please put a shoutout for what De Zerbi has done - last HALF of the season - highest xG in the league - 3rd highest goals in the league. Potter never got close to having sustained numbers like that.

If we don't get him now he should be on our minds for the future if this continues.

image.thumb.png.36beb6fa6a02840e6862dd5a65e01504.png

16 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I mean again - can I please put a shoutout for what De Zerbi has done - last HALF of the season - highest xG in the league - 3rd highest goals in the league. Potter never got close to having sustained numbers like that.

If we don't get him now he should be on our minds for the future if this continues.

image.thumb.png.36beb6fa6a02840e6862dd5a65e01504.png

Can somebody with a degree in geekery point out what I’m supposed to be seeing here?

2 minutes ago, chrisb said:

Can somebody with a degree in geekery point out what I’m supposed to be seeing here?

Last 18 games (half the season). Brighton have the highest expected goals (XG) and third-highest goals total.

Crazy considering they have no talisman player - no Salah, no Haaland etc. No single number 9 banging them in.

Oh and they've still played 2 games less than Liverpool and Arsenal and 1 less than City. Mind blowing!

• Like 1