Who will the next permanent Chelsea manager be?

Who should be next Chelsea manager?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• Julian Nagelsmann
    • Bruno Saltor
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Luis Enrique
    • Mauricio Pochettino
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Diego Simeone
    • John Terry
    • Frank Lampard
    • Ruben Amorim
    • Thomas Frank
    • Hansi Flick
    • Antonio Conte
    • Marco Silva
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Ange Postecoglou
    • Gareth Southgate
    • Marco Bielsa

This poll is closed to new votes

One thing Pochettino's teams have always had is a proper number 9. They play fast, direct, attacking football with the width coming from the full backs and the two wide forwards coming inside to support the striker. 

If you could design the perfect system for Lukaku to thrive in it would be Pochettino's Tottenham. When all is said and done the man is proven a goal scoring machine, in the right set up.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

One thing Pochettino's teams have always had is a proper number 9. They play fast, direct, attacking football with the width coming from the full backs and the two wide forwards coming inside to support the striker. 

If you could design the perfect system for Lukaku to thrive in it would be Pochettino's Tottenham. When all is said and done the man is proven a goal scoring machine, in the right set up.

Schhhh…. Don’t  tell that to MK. 😀

55 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Yeah but he’s an arrogant troublemaker too 😃

Help me here guys..we are talking about Lukaku..."our Lukaku"?...the one who has been here twice and left last time under a cloud and with many a thankful goodbye wave?...THAT Lukaku?

Once, shame on him..twice..shame on us (Chelsea)...three times?...the definition of insanity...the same hopes expecting a different result...

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, chara said:

Help me here guys..we are talking about Lukaku..."our Lukaku"?...the one who has been here twice and left last time under a cloud and with many a thankful goodbye wave?...THAT Lukaku?

Once, shame on him..twice..shame on us (Chelsea)...three times?...the definition of insanity...the same hopes expecting a different result...

To be fair we barely created any chances for him. He played every game with his back to goal. 

Nothing created out wide. No incisive forward passing. 

1 minute ago, Ham said:

To be fair we barely created any chances for him. He played every game with his back to goal. 

Nothing created out wide. No incisive forward passing. 

Not knocking your viewpoint Ham...... I just can't see him making enough effort given the chances ..... if he can..I'm with you and would say "I was wrong"..I'd rather he did do well but can't feel confident that he will if given yet another chance.

The BIG IF....if Captain America and Luakku "come good" under Poch what does that say for their "attitude" when it mattered?

Side note..read a USA Soccer "analysis" of top USMNT. ever.....Pulisic stated to be the most skillful player to represent the national side..... Liberty Valance time...when the legend......

Lukaku? He’d never be standing in the right place. Ok, I’ll be convinced when he hits double figures in a season - for us. Hope he does, but have more faith in a politician telling the truth.

12 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

Lukaku? He’d never be standing in the right place. Ok, I’ll be convinced when he hits double figures in a season - for us. Hope he does, but have more faith in a politician telling the truth.

Lukaku will do what he has always done score a hat full of goals against fodder sides. 
how we have missed that asset this season. 

If his only asset is to score and beat the fodder sides home and away that is 60 pts on the board for next season. 

59 minutes ago, chara said:

He’s a lot better than TB sports recruitment team have done  to date.  

12 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Have you not noticed how good Badiashille is or how exciting Noni is in full flow? 

I am sounding a bit like  @xceleryx, However you have to put Madeueke & Badiashille performances into perspective based on the caliber of the opposition - The likes of Bournemouth are relegation fodder season upon season

27 minutes ago, ROTG said:

I am sounding a bit like  @xceleryx, However you have to put Madeueke & Badiashille performances into perspective based on the caliber of the opposition - The likes of Bournemouth are relegation fodder season upon season

I think you've decided "TB Sports department" = Bad so everyone they sign therefore = Bad . 

Just now, martin1905 said:

So today is the day.......

I bloody hope so 

29 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think you've decided "TB Sports department" = Bad so everyone they sign therefore = Bad . 

I bloody hope so 

Why’s it taking so long? It’s nowhere near done really according to Fabrizio. How hard can it be -it’s a football contract not something like a complex international trade deal for goodness’ sake.

Paul Mitchell, the former Southampton & Spurs sporting director seems to be the 'sticking point' according to some.

He was under consideration a while back before we hired Laurence Stewart and Paul Winstanley, then was linked again when Poch was originally talked about when Potter was sacked, but noises from the club (allegedly) again said he wouldn't be joining, and it was claimed Poch was OK with this.

Last few days, however, there's been renewed talk that Poch wants him signed up before he agrees to take over. Of course it could just be a convenient smokescreen for journos who said Poch would be announced this week if he isn't actually announced this week. 😉

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think you've decided "TB Sports department" = Bad so everyone they sign therefore = Bad

Let's put like this, none of them have improved the teams position in the league since there acquisitions in January.

More interesting is how many of the January acquisitions will be regular starters for the next Coach?.. Unless TB Sports Dept is insistent that utilising them is one of the conditions of employment for the new coach "Hence the list of candidates shortens by default"

2 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Paul Mitchell, the former Southampton & Spurs sporting director seems to be the 'sticking point' according to some.

He was under consideration a while back before we hired Laurence Stewart and Paul Winstanley, then was linked again when Poch was originally talked about when Potter was sacked, but noises from the club (allegedly) again said he wouldn't be joining, and it was claimed Poch was OK with this.

Last few days, however, there's been renewed talk that Poch wants him signed up before he agrees to take over. Of course it could just be a convenient smokescreen for journos who said Poch would be announced this week if he isn't actually announced this week. 😉

Would not be surprised if there are elements of truth in Poch upping the stakes - Lets be honest the club is in a dire situation with the two new boys Stewart & Winstanley already under the cosh after their disastrous January spend to support GP and Poch knows there are other jobs out there or will come available in the summer.

1 minute ago, ROTG said:

Would not be surprised if there are elements of truth in Poch upping the stakes - Lets be honest the club is in a dire situation with the two new boys Stewart & Winstanley already under the cosh after their disastrous January spend to support GP and Poch knows there are other jobs out there or will come available in the summer.

I wouldn't describe January as disastrous at all. Did some brilliant business which will only become clear in the coming years. 

Important to remember that the vast majority of us thought we'd smashed the January window. Some revisionism at play here.

Not getting rid of Ziyech and others was their only failure. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ham said:

I wouldn't describe January as disastrous at all. Did some brilliant business which will only become clear in the coming years. 

Important to remember that the vast majority of us thought we'd smashed the January window. Some revisionism at play here.

I guess it is a matter of opinion on the January acquisitions.

As the saying goes the proof is in the pudding - Lets see how many of the January acquisitions are first on the team sheet once the new coach comes in.

Also, how may years does it take to become clear or is it more likely how long is a piece of string?

Not buying a decent striker in January was foolishness of the highest order

Edited by ROTG

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

[SNIP]

Not buying a decent striker in January was foolishness of the highest order

Who was available in January?  Which striker do you honestly think we could have bought? 

You're a bit like the partner who complains that their other half didn't do the shopping properly when the supermarket shelves were empty!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ROTG said:

Let's put like this, none of them have improved the teams position in the league since there acquisitions in January.

Average age across the January signings was 20-21. The oldest one being Enzo at 22.

Only a fool would judge the quality of January's window after a few games. 

46 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Who was available in January?  Which striker do you honestly think we could have bought? 

You're a bit like the partner who complains that their other half didn't do the shopping properly when the supermarket shelves were empty!

Exactly this. I am glad we didn't buy one for the sake of it.

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Also, how may years does it take to become clear or is it more likely how long is a piece of string?

It depends on the player. 

Drogba wasn't a top player until 25/26

Rooney and Owen were ready to go at 17.

Ronaldo's first season at United yielded 4 league goals. His second yielded 5. 

If we had bought a bunch of 25-30 year players in January, I would have expected more in the short term. We didn't. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Bob - you must stop all these compliments

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, martin1905 said:

So today is the day.......

According to who? I gave up following what journalists were saying about Pochettino because they're all obviously making it up as they go along. Just wondering which ones we can expect to see making up "developments" that couldn't be foreseen over the next few days.

3 hours ago, Ham said:

Tbf, @ROTG was not one of those people so he isn't revising anything. The majority often are wrong about things. For me, our January dealings are a bit more complicated than either being good or bad. We made some very significant, long-lasting decisions ... Even if enough of them work out, I don't know I'm a big fan of adopting such a risky approach going forward.

52 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Probably any striker the club desired, which I base on TB sports dept spending  £100m on a bloke who played half a season in Portugal and had a good world cup and £85m on a winger who had not played a game for 4 months

4 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Probably any striker the club desired, 

Like?

which I base on TB sports dept spending  £100m on a bloke who played half a season in Portugal and had a good world cup

Good world cup.......he won it. 

£85m on a winger who had not played a game for 4 months

62m plus add ons.

And what has the 4 months got to do with it? It was their off season. Just makes judging him after such a short period as so foolish. 

Edited by paulw66