Who will the next permanent Chelsea manager be?

Who should be next Chelsea manager?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• Julian Nagelsmann
    • Bruno Saltor
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Luis Enrique
    • Mauricio Pochettino
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Diego Simeone
    • John Terry
    • Frank Lampard
    • Ruben Amorim
    • Thomas Frank
    • Hansi Flick
    • Antonio Conte
    • Marco Silva
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Ange Postecoglou
    • Gareth Southgate
    • Marco Bielsa

This poll is closed to new votes

The maddest thing for me is that if we’d bought just a goalie, a CB, a proper DM (and we could have got Rice imo) a proper striker then that would have been fine. I’m not saying we would have challenged for the title, but I think a creditable 6th-8th would have been a great platform to build on. But here we are. Always wanted Poch and I wish him all the luck in the world. Imo his appointment has all the right “feel” to it - for me, the opposite was the case with Potter. 

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, johnnybozo said:

The manager we should have signed back when Tommy T was originally sacked. Best man for the job with this squad.

True.

I've read/heard a few saying that Boehly etc., were very close to appointing Poch after sacking Tuchel, but went for Potter instead because they were wary of a backlash due to him being ex-Spurs.

We’re not that far short of a decent side. We really suffered with James, Mount and Chilwell not being fit. Not investing in a proper DM cost us when Kante was out most of the season. And going into the season with Broja and Aubameyang as strikers was just plain ridiculous. Hopefully we’ll address these issues in the transfer window and release those who’ve not lived up to expectations. A trimmed down squad with key returnees/additions, should see us put up a more than decent showing. Nkunku, Gusto, Santos, Colwill, plus a DM, new keeper and striker is a pretty strong upgrade. Instead of a scattergun approach I’d like to see us buy established quality from now on. I think we learned a painful lesson this season. The only issue is not being in the Champions League which might put off some joining. Otherwise we’ve got the basis of a strong squad and a manager who knows what he’s doing. 

• Agree 2

I honestly don't believe Poch will succeed and this will ultimately end in tears - it's maybe too big a job for anyone right now, let alone a manager who is not in the top tier and has a history with Tottenham.

If I was a betting man -

I predict in 12-18 months or so we are left asking the question - was it ever the right idea to hire him in the first place?

An ex-Spurs coach who has nearly no history of being a winner and is without question the most overrated manager of the last decade.

However - where we are today and given the candidates left, Poch has a better chance than anyone of succeeding - and the Spurs links should not stop us celebrating today, because at least we have not got Kompany, at least we have not got Postecoglou.

Poch is a tier 2 manager - much higher than Potter and perhaps a good fit to carry us over the next 12 months - even if it ends in tears.

The Spurs links should not stop us supporting him and celebrating today because this is a chink of hope and good news!

Given where we are in this shambles of a "hiring process". Should have always been Nagelsmann but we are where we are!

• Disagree 5

1 minute ago, Max Fowler said:

I honestly don't believe Poch will succeed and this will ultimately end in tears - it's maybe too big a job for anyone right now, let alone a manager who is not in the top tier and has a history with Tottenham.

If I was a betting man -

I predict in 12-18 months or so we are left asking the question - was it ever the right idea to hire him in the first place?

An ex-Spurs coach who has nearly no history of being a winner and is without question the most overrated manager of the last decade.

However - where we are today and given the candidates left, Poch has a better chance than anyone of succeeding - and the Spurs links should not stop us celebrating today, because at least we have not got Kompany, at least we have not got Postecoglou.

Poch is a tier 2 manager - much higher than Potter and perhaps a good fit to carry us over the next 12 months - even if it ends in tears.

The Spurs links should not stop us supporting him and celebrating today because this is a chink of hope and good news!

Given where we are in this shambles of a "hiring process". Should have always been Nagelsmann but we are where we are!

And if anything takes the sting off missing Nagelsmann and hiring Poch, it's that Spurs also didn't go for him or Poch (WHY?!) and might end up with Ryan Mason.

😂  

Still don't have much faith in Boehly and co. who came to this decision, but Poch has a huge reputation in football and noone can say we didn't hire a manager who isn't regarded by many knowledgable people in the game as one of the very best.

Just my personal opinion, and shared by others, that he is very overrated and absolutely not elite. Only time will tell!

• Disagree 4

Let's be honest, whether you rate Poch or you don't, he also has a lot to prove here and if this goes badly wrong for him it may leave his top level managerial future in jeopardy.

This is not an absolute banker like Guardiola - a huge opportunity for Poch but also a big risk and I respect the fact that he has taken the job given the scale of the challenge. Also the fact that he has apparently negotiated for the board to stay out of the dressing room only makes me like him more.

23 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

We’re not that far short of a decent side. We really suffered with James, Mount and Chilwell not being fit. Not investing in a proper DM cost us when Kante was out most of the season. And going into the season with Broja and Aubameyang as strikers was just plain ridiculous. Hopefully we’ll address these issues in the transfer window and release those who’ve not lived up to expectations. A trimmed down squad with key returnees/additions, should see us put up a more than decent showing. Nkunku, Gusto, Santos, Colwill, plus a DM, new keeper and striker is a pretty strong upgrade. Instead of a scattergun approach I’d like to see us buy established quality from now on. I think we learned a painful lesson this season. The only issue is not being in the Champions League which might put off some joining. Otherwise we’ve got the basis of a strong squad and a manager who knows what he’s doing. 

Honestly don't really think we need a new no. 1 goalee. Get rid of Mendy as he's too one dimensional and gives off a vibe of a sulker. Think Kepa has done well this season all things considered and actually cares about the club..keep him and blood in Slonina in the cups.

For strikers... Throw Lukaku in the reserves and grab Martinez or Toney

25 minutes ago, johnnybozo said:

Honestly don't really think we need a new no. 1 goalee. Get rid of Mendy as he's too one dimensional and gives off a vibe of a sulker. Think Kepa has done well this season all things considered and actually cares about the club..keep him and blood in Slonina in the cups.

For strikers... Throw Lukaku in the reserves and grab Martinez or Toney

Toney 💯

Kepa is just not quite top class. Way overpriced and a stupidly long deal (I know why we do that but it hamstrings us too a bit imo). 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Toney 💯

Kepa is just not quite top class. Way overpriced and a stupidly long deal (I know why we do that but it hamstrings us too a bit imo). 

Wouldn't touch Toney with a barge pole, his stats are padded with penalties and he's going to get a ban. 

I'm certain that if we sign him then the FA will impose the most draconian ban they can think of just to stick the boot in. 

If he goes anywhere but us the ban will be minimal. 

Edited by Mark Kelly
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Wouldn't touch Toney with a barge pole, his stats are padded with penalties and he's going to get a ban. 

I'm certain that if we sign him then the FA will impose the most draconian ban they can think of just to stick the boot in. 

If he goes anywhere but us the ban will be minimal. 

Mr. K. You’re not being paranoid, are you? 🤪

I think Toney would do well with the creative talent we have. But okay. Which striker would you go with, assuming it isn’t Fatso? 

8 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

And so it starts. “Not elite. Too Spurs. Most overrated of the last decade. I give it 12-18 months.”

Here’s an idea. How about we DONT foster an environment where he is already under pressure after what will be a complex summer and tricky pre-season? Getting these slackers into shape is going to be hard enough without his own supporters weighing in on the basis of nothing.

Perish the thought of fans having opinions or concerns.

Of course we were also told to shut up early on when Potter was going off the rails, and look how well that worked out.

It's okay to have concerns about Poch and still wish him every chance of succeeding.

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

If I was a betting man -

And so it begins......

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Mr. K. You’re not being paranoid, are you? 🤪

I think Toney would do well with the creative talent we have. But okay. Which striker would you go with, assuming it isn’t Fatso? 

It's a difficult one, the one I really like is at Newcastle who would have no desire or need to sell and that's Isak. 

I always liked Schick the Czech forward but he's more of a ten than a nine and got a bad injury and has fallen away now. 

Chunky gets it by default really. 

Edited by Mark Kelly

5 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

It's a difficult one, the one I really like is at Newcastle who would have no desire or need to sell and that's Isak. 

I always liked Schick the Czech forward but he's more of a ten than a nine and got a bad injury and has fallen away now. 

Chunky gets it by default really. 

Isak was - in my head at least - on my list of players I would have liked to see us sign last summer (indeed, the summer before, too!)

Currently it's Rasmus Hojlund of Atalanta

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

If I was a betting man -

Jesus Christ, people are usually a bit more subtle about having their cake and eating it, too.

I wonder what odds you can get on Chelsea's next manager getting sacked at some point.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

Jesus Christ, people are usually a bit more subtle about having their cake and eating it, too.

I wonder what odds you can get on Chelsea's next manager getting sacked at some point.

I didn’t say at some point. I said 12-18 months. I thought we were here to debate Chelsea - apparently if you have an opinion that says isn’t Poch is an absolutely elite manager and guaranteed success your views are not welcome. Shame - we’re stronger as a fanbase with different viewpoints.

3 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

I didn’t say at some point. I said 12-18 months. I thought we were here to debate Chelsea - apparently if you have an opinion that says isn’t Poch is an absolutely elite manager and guaranteed success your views are not welcome. Shame - we’re stronger as a fanbase with different viewpoints.

No-one has any problem with different opinions or concerns, that is what we are here for. I just don’t see the value of a barrowload of negativity when the guy hasn’t even been announced yet, much less made a single decision for you to have issue with. Hasn’t it been depressing enough, week in week out?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2