Who will the next permanent Chelsea manager be?

Who should be next Chelsea manager?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• Julian Nagelsmann
    • Bruno Saltor
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Luis Enrique
    • Mauricio Pochettino
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Diego Simeone
    • John Terry
    • Frank Lampard
    • Ruben Amorim
    • Thomas Frank
    • Hansi Flick
    • Antonio Conte
    • Marco Silva
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Ange Postecoglou
    • Gareth Southgate
    • Marco Bielsa

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, JaneB said:

Wouldn't it be great if Frank stayed and worked with Poch?

OK, well I can dream.

I would move him upstairs if we kept him. I think he's a brilliant ambassador for the club, he speaks very well and is very knowledgeable, he is just not a manager/coach, unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I would move him upstairs if we kept him. I think he's a brilliant ambassador for the club, he speaks very well and is very knowledgeable, he is just not a manager/coach, unfortunately.

Unfortunately (for Frank, that is) he still sees himself as a manager/coach at a fairly top level club.

48 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Perfect for an after dinner speaking role, then?

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Apart from sentiment, I would ask why and what would be so great about it.

Prefer someone like Andy Myers to be promoted into Poch's coaching staff, assuming Poch is wanting to integrate club coaches into his coaching set up

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Apart from sentiment, I would ask why and what would be so great about it.

Because I don’t want him to leave.  He IS Chelsea 💙

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Perfect for an after dinner speaking role, then?

So mean ☹️

2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I agree. I do however think that we tend to do well when we have a coach or two on the first team staff that are more of an internal 'Chelsea' person (Newton, Wilkins, Clement etc) - i'd personally like to see someone like Ashley Cole or Joe Edwards offered that kind of role again.  

People that can coach, communicate the DNA of the club to players are very valuable. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Could he still learn though?  If he was willing to do so that is.

Brilliant ambassador indeed 💙

16 minutes ago, Ham said:

I saw a piece of video of Ash absolutely tearing into a few of the senior Chelsea players recently  on the pitchside including Enzo, Chilwell and RJ.  He was dragging them around to demonstrate where they should be and what they should be doing.

He's got something about him. 

I like it. 

💯

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ham said:

I saw a piece of video of Ash absolutely tearing into a few of the senior Chelsea players recently  on the pitchside including Enzo, Chilwell and RJ.  He was dragging them around to demonstrate where they should be and what they should be doing.

He's got something about him. 

I like it. 

Ash is a real deal. Like JT. They both have a bit of "Jose" in them.

Lamps could well become an elite manager, he hasn't got that much "Jose" in him, but he could learn tactical aspects of the game better.

Judge them all when they finish their careers!

45 minutes ago, Bones said:

Ash is a real deal. Like JT. They both have a bit of "Jose" in them.

Lamps could well become an elite manager, he hasn't got that much "Jose" in him, but he could learn tactical aspects of the game better.

Judge them all when they finish their careers!

I love Lamps but he’s a terrible manager.

1 hour ago, JaneB said:

Could he still learn though?  If he was willing to do so that is.

Brilliant ambassador indeed 💙

How about a role where he's introduced to any potential new recruits before they sign, to speak to them and extoll the virtues of "what it means to be Chelsea" selling the idea of what it takes to play for and succeed at the club we all love? The role probably doesn't exist but imho it should and Frank (or JT, or Didier...why not all of them!?) would be amazing at it!

Edited by Dale86
to add the y to they!

Agree with all those mentioning Ashley Cole, I'd love him to stay on the coaching staff next season, he is a proper winner and understands what the mentality needed at Chelsea is... he's also got a lot of experience to share with the young players.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Spoke a little while ago about Ashley Cole and how he comes across on a match day, can't remember the exact game but he had all the defenders in a huddle and just the way he was talking to them pre game made me think he had something about him.

Heard he will be kept on, hope it's true.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, martin1905 said:

Spoke a little while ago about Ashley Cole and how he comes across on a match day, can't remember the exact game but he had all the defenders in a huddle and just the way he was talking to them pre game made me think he had something about him.

Heard he will be kept on, hope it's true.....

Away at Arsenal a few weeks ago.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JaneB said:

Because I don’t want him to leave.  He IS Chelsea 💙

So mean ☹️

It probably was. I love Frank. Met him in 2013 two days after we won the EL in Amsterdam and he'd just signed a new one year deal. There was an event at SB reviewing the 2012 CL triumph and he was guest of honour. He had so much time for all the fans, photos etc.... Lovely bloke. Possibly too nice. 

• Like 1

On 14/05/2023 at 12:38, Max Fowler said:

I honestly don't believe Poch will succeed and this will ultimately end in tears - it's maybe too big a job for anyone right now, let alone a manager who is not in the top tier and has a history with Tottenham.

If I was a betting man -

I predict in 12-18 months or so we are left asking the question - was it ever the right idea to hire him in the first place?

An ex-Spurs coach who has nearly no history of being a winner and is without question the most overrated manager of the last decade.

However - where we are today and given the candidates left, Poch has a better chance than anyone of succeeding - and the Spurs links should not stop us celebrating today, because at least we have not got Kompany, at least we have not got Postecoglou.

Poch is a tier 2 manager - much higher than Potter and perhaps a good fit to carry us over the next 12 months - even if it ends in tears.

The Spurs links should not stop us supporting him and celebrating today because this is a chink of hope and good news!

Given where we are in this shambles of a "hiring process". Should have always been Nagelsmann but we are where we are!

With a summer with the squad and the squad trimmed down with 2-3 new additions think we will make the top 4 or at least top 6. His second season think top 4 and see him winning one trophy.  Don't see him winning the league yet think he will leave us with a more balanced squad.

4 hours ago, paulw66 said:

It probably was. I love Frank. Met him in 2013 two days after we won the EL in Amsterdam and he'd just signed a new one year deal. There was an event at SB reviewing the 2012 CL triumph and he was guest of honour. He had so much time for all the fans, photos etc.... Lovely bloke. Possibly too nice. 

Thanks Paul.  

I just feel so protective of him.  

I might be completely wrong but I think he's quite stubborn and still wants to prove himself in a top managerial role whatever has gone on before.

I should imagine too that he would get frustrated at some of today's players and their lack of intelligence, humility and work ethic. 

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, jasonb said:

With a summer with the squad and the squad trimmed down with 2-3 new additions think we will make the top 4 or at least top 6. His second season think top 4 and see him winning one trophy.  Don't see him winning the league yet think he will leave us with a more balanced squad.

I think next season is the one where he's most likely to win the league, given we have no European fixtures to cram in in between dometsic competitions (that doesn't mean I think we will win the title... just that it'll probably be easier to do than the following season)

But, yes I agree that a top 4 finish is highly likely.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Thanks Paul.  

I just feel so protective of him.  

I might be completely wrong but I think he's quite stubborn and still wants to prove himself in a top managerial role whatever has gone on before.

I should imagine too that he would get frustrated at some of today's players and their lack of intelligence, humility and work ethic. 

I think he will really struggle to walk away from management with his reputation in it as it is. Clearly he has very high standards he holds himself to.

My outside opinion is that he is never likely to get close to meeting those standards in this line of work. So the question, I guess, his how much more of himself does he throw into it?

My theory about him as a coach is that he never really needed a coach to tell him how to train or motivate him to work, and that he perhaps doesn't have the mindset or skills needed for players who largely do. And I'm not talking about lazy or unmotivated players, I'm just talking about your average player, even just average person. Staying behind after closing time to practice a few extra hours isn't normal.

• Agree 2