Who will the next permanent Chelsea manager be?

Who should be next Chelsea manager?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• Julian Nagelsmann
    • Bruno Saltor
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Luis Enrique
    • Mauricio Pochettino
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Diego Simeone
    • John Terry
    • Frank Lampard
    • Ruben Amorim
    • Thomas Frank
    • Hansi Flick
    • Antonio Conte
    • Marco Silva
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Ange Postecoglou
    • Gareth Southgate
    • Marco Bielsa

This poll is closed to new votes

19 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Away at Arsenal a few weeks ago.

Sums up just how little this lot listened and did as they were being told in that first half there then.  Imagine one of the Premier League's best ever defenders giving you some instructions and just ignoring all of them and expecting to be right.  In a season where you've constantly been wrong. 

Bit concerning if that is the best some of our current squad can come up with. 

35 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

My theory about him as a coach is that he never really needed a coach to tell him how to train or motivate him to work, and that he perhaps doesn't have the mindset or skills needed for players who largely do. And I'm not talking about lazy or unmotivated players, I'm just talking about your average player, even just average person. Staying behind after closing time to practice a few extra hours isn't normal.

I think you're right here.  I also think it's what our players should have been doing at least 2-3 times a week this season (and for much longer for our attacking players).  The sheer amount of crap shooting and finishing (or even players refusing to shoot) we've seen here for ages is so poor.  It genuinely feels like the best solution for a lot of them is to just practice more. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bert19 said:

Sums up just how little this lot listened and did as they were being told in that first half there then.  Imagine one of the Premier League's best ever defenders giving you some instructions and just ignoring all of them and expecting to be right.  In a season where you've constantly been wrong. 

Bit concerning if that is the best some of our current squad can come up with. 

I think you're right here.  I also think it's what our players should have been doing at least 2-3 times a week this season (and for much longer for our attacking players).  The sheer amount of crap shooting and finishing (or even players refusing to shoot) we've seen here for ages is so poor.  It genuinely feels like the best solution for a lot of them is to just practice more. 

Agree with the post but I fear that would only once again prove the definition of insanity being doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result!😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jasonb said:

With a summer with the squad and the squad trimmed down with 2-3 new additions think we will make the top 4 or at least top 6. His second season think top 4 and see him winning one trophy.  Don't see him winning the league yet think he will leave us with a more balanced squad.

Can agree he will likely leave us better than he joined us - but isn't capable of taking us much further than top four IMO.

2 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Can agree he will likely leave us better than he joined us - but isn't capable of taking us much further than top four IMO.

Given the state we’re in I’ll take that. But I truly think he’s the right man at the right time. It feels right, totally opposite to GP imo.

2 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

I'd love to know your rationale for that.

Is it because he won nothing at Spurs? Nor did Mourinho or Conte after him, yet both are serial winners.
Is it because in his first half season at PSG - replacing Tuchel, who'd been sacked for making a poor start - he didn't quite manage to catch up Lille?  Or for his supposed 'failure' to get the best out of three players whose egos require extra-special treatment that kept him away from developing younger, hungrier players? And was he actually sacked? Initially he was hired on an 18 month contract. It was shortly before the end of that contract that PSG 'generously' announced parting company with him.

Look at Carlo Ancelotti... serial winner pretty much everywhere, but he couldn't turn PSG into Champions League winners. He also failed at Everton. Which only goes to show that no matter how good a manger you get, some clubs (Spurs & Everton, for example) are just not destined to win anything

A top manager (and I'm not claiming Poch is - currently - up there with Pep or Ancelotti, for example) at a top club with owners who are prepared to back that manager will win trophies.

Poch + CFC = 🏆 🏆 🏆

Edited by Bob Singleton
Typo
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

Based on him not winning  anything with Spurs? Jose and Conte won countless trophies with us and couldn’t manage to win anything with Spurs.  To be fair to Pochettino, he got way closer than anyone else has in living memory 😆

Unfortunately I remember Juande Ramos!

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

Based on him not winning  anything with Spurs? Jose and Conte won countless trophies with us and couldn’t manage to win anything with Spurs.  To be fair to Pochettino, he got way closer than anyone else has in living memory 😆

Sorry, only just seen your post (which wasn't showing when I started typing my reply to Max)

7 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Been told that part of the reason it is taking so long is that he and the board want players bought in straight away and ready at the very beginning of pre season. He has told them what he needs to compete at the top, they are already working on bringing them in. He wants a fairly small squad, as we have no European football and he works better with a smallish but very tight, in terms of their togetherness, squad. Too big a squad can make it difficult to get that close knit bond.

Thanks for sharing this insight - interesting stuff.  

Quick question though - why does any of this hold up the announcement?   Doesn’t feel like Poch is saying that A/B/C signings are conditional on him joining - so what difference does it make? 

@martin1905..interesting post as ever,

Perhaps the "delay" is because  any announcement made has no "timing" factor?

The season is done..abysmal though it has been  but no relegation with Frank bravely ,inmo, carrying a limping Chelsea over the finish line.

(I too would like to see him stay on in PR type position...despite his lack of concrete success in management he is still very much revered by the faithful and it would be fitting for him to be a public face for Chelsea.)

We,of course, want to know asap but in a year's time who will really remember or care how long we waited?

Also I would hope ,just a personal wish, that Todd and Co are winding up the media charlatans by keeping the appointment info in a small loop and letting the media stew and be forced to make ever more frantic "announcement dates" and transfer in/out predictions !

48 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

We're 52 pages into this thread, and we still don't have an announcement! Started with Nagelsman as prime contender, before shifting through a myriad of names, and then arriving at Poch (we think!).

April 3...six weeks!!!!!

I'm glad there is a delay in proceedings before appointing Poch.It says to me there is deep thinking going on from both parties that want to get things right.

We don't want anymore stupidity with over priced players with crazy contracts.

We certainly don't want another manager that has "potential".

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, kev61 said:

I'm glad there is a delay in proceedings before appointing Poch.

There had to one of you😘

5 hours ago, kev61 said:

It says to me there is deep thinking going on from both parties that want to get things right.

Could be, I guess. Could be that people are running around trying to find Poch wherever he is on his holidays....

5 hours ago, kev61 said:

We don't want anymore stupidity with over priced players with crazy contracts.

Er, no we don't?

5 hours ago, kev61 said:

We certainly don't want another manager that has "potential".

Again, no we don't. 

12 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

I'd love to know your rationale for that.

Is it because he won nothing at Spurs? Nor did Mourinho or Conte after him, yet both are serial winners.
Is it because in his first half season at PSG - replacing Tuchel, who'd been sacked for making a poor start - he didn't quite manage to catch up Lille?  Or for his supposed 'failure' to get the best out of three players whose egos require extra-special treatment that kept him away from developing younger, hungrier players? And was he actually sacked? Initially he was hired on an 18 month contract. It was shortly before the end of that contract that PSG 'generously' announced parting company with him.

Look at Carlo Ancelotti... serial winner pretty much everywhere, but he couldn't turn PSG into Champions League winners. He also failed at Everton. Which only goes to show that no matter how good a manger you get, some clubs (Spurs & Everton, for example) are just not destined to win anything

A top manager (and I'm not claiming Poch is - currently - up there with Pep or Ancelotti, for example) at a top club with owners who are prepared to back that manager will win trophies.

Poch + CFC = 🏆 🏆 🏆

Your "he didn't quite manage to catch up Lille" comment is misleading. They were 1 point behind Lille when Poch took over, 1 point behind at the end of the season. Tuchel may have started slowly but so has Guardiola this season - they would have found a way to win under him because he is a winner. He left for other reasons.

Everyone views Pochettino's stint at PSG as a failure - he was boo'ed out of the club and dumped out of the Champions League. Don't need to go back to Ancelotti to see that he failed. Complete drop off after previous season under Tuchel. Worse win percentage than previous 3 managers, much worse goals per game, more goals conceded.

Failed to win the title at Spurs when Leicester won it - failed to win the Champions League against Liverpool. Failed to win League Cup final in 2015. Failed to capitalise on other cup semi-finals at Spurs.

Mourinho and Conte comparisons only go so far. Poch was up and coming at Spurs - Mourinho past it and Conte never a good fit. Mourinho likely would have won something if he'd been kept for the final, Conte always needed more backing over the longer-term.

And in any case - key reason again is that he is a Spurs manager. Mourinho and Conte partly failed because they were Chelsea managers and only had so much credit in the bank. We now face the same problem with higher expectations. Is that a problem initially when Poch takes over? Not really. Could it be a problem if and when shit hits the fan? Absolutely, yes.

Again - I am happy we signed Poch given who we have left. But again, we have not hired a proven winner - we have hired a guy who needs to prove he is a winner. I believe he takes us top top 4-6 next season and then struggles to build on that the following season and then doubts start to creep in. But that's just a prediction. Of course I hope he can takes us further than that.

17 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Again - I am happy we signed Poch given who we have left. But again, we have not hired a proven winner - we have hired a guy who needs to prove he is a winner. I believe he takes us top top 4-6 next season and then struggles to build on that the following season and then doubts start to creep in. But that's just a prediction. Of course I hope he can takes us further than that.

On the positive side, he seems to have the ability to identify decent players vs dross, which is a priority with the current squad. I am not his greatest fan, however as long as he is given control to structure the squad to his needs and identity without the TB sports dept interference, then i see no reason why there would not be a positive upward trend.

1 minute ago, ROTG said:

On the positive side, he seems to have the ability to identify decent players vs dross, which is a priority with the current squad. I am not his greatest fan, however as long as he is given control to structure the squad to his needs and identity without the TB sports dept interference, then i see no reason why there would not be a positive upward trend.

Bro what is this thing you have with the “TB sports department”? 🤣

Edited by Chelsea_Matt
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, martin1905 said:

Make of it what you will but I am stupidly excited, it just feels so right even though I hated him at Tottenham and I really didn't want him after Tuchel, 

The fact he was unpopular amongst Chelsea fans just proves one thing to be honest. He did a good job.

Don't remember many Chelsea fans hating Christian Gross or Jacques Santini

• Like 1
  • Agree 2