Who will the next permanent Chelsea manager be?

Who should be next Chelsea manager?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• Julian Nagelsmann
    • Bruno Saltor
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Luis Enrique
    • Mauricio Pochettino
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Diego Simeone
    • John Terry
    • Frank Lampard
    • Ruben Amorim
    • Thomas Frank
    • Hansi Flick
    • Antonio Conte
    • Marco Silva
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Ange Postecoglou
    • Gareth Southgate
    • Marco Bielsa

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Ironically, he was hugely underappreciated here, probably because he ousted a legend. 

His game has come on at Real. He's an absolute monster. 

Tend to disagree a tad pw....I think he was appreciated and although it was a bit, only just but, early to ease PC out I think there was a belief that TC would take on the mantle and be a fixture as well as a great example of Chelsea bringing a player through the system in a perfect way. (Oft quoted by me ..Shankley..better a year too early than a year too late,)... My recall is a reluctant acceptance that it was a good football decision but not a popular one..pragmatic is probably the word.

My disappointment and cause of my dislike of TC is that he switched off once he decided he wanted out and did the minimum on match day...fortunately his minimum was far ahead of the norm for our present keeper pool but as a very modest keeper I felt offended.

Indeed he is an elite keeper and arguably #1 at this time. Classic top keeper progression getting better with age and experience.....the present Chelsea keepers are at their limit I think.

2 hours ago, chara said:

Tend to disagree a tad pw....I think he was appreciated and although it was a bit, only just but, early to ease PC out I think there was a belief that TC would take on the mantle and be a fixture as well as a great example of Chelsea bringing a player through the system in a perfect way. (Oft quoted by me ..Shankley..better a year too early than a year too late,)... My recall is a reluctant acceptance that it was a good football decision but not a popular one..pragmatic is probably the word.

My disappointment and cause of my dislike of TC is that he switched off once he decided he wanted out and did the minimum on match day...fortunately his minimum was far ahead of the norm for our present keeper pool but as a very modest keeper I felt offended.

Indeed he is an elite keeper and arguably #1 at this time. Classic top keeper progression getting better with age and experience.....the present Chelsea keepers are at their limit I think.

This is right we had a long discussion where we'd both noticed he'd stopped diving and would half arsedly go down on one knee instead. 

Brilliant keeper, but only when he feels like it. 

2 hours ago, chara said:

A bit contradictory is it not mate or is there a reason why you don't think our keepers will get better with age and experience or why it's only top keepers that classically do it?

12 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

A bit contradictory is it not mate or is there a reason why you don't think our keepers will get better with age and experience or why it's only top keepers that classically do it?

Ok..made me think martin...lazy post by me.... of course all keepers do  but the ceilings attainable are different I think is what I should have written.

Mendy had a season or so playing way above his norm and being in an older age bracket I feel has reached his limit...Kepa will progress somewhat but in my humble opinion not to a noticeable much higher level of performance.

The real elite keepers do truly age like a fine wine.... that's the difference.

Only my humble opinion..not an edict! (Easy to pontificate on from my couch!)

9 minutes ago, chara said:

Ok..made me think martin...lazy post by me.... of course all keepers do  but the ceilings attainable are different I think is what I should have written.

Mendy had a season or so playing way above his norm and being in an older age bracket I feel has reached his limit...Kepa will progress somewhat but in my humble opinion not to a noticeable much higher level of performance.

The real elite keepers do truly age like a fine wine.... that's the difference.

Only my humble opinion..not an edict! (Easy to pontificate on from my couch!)

Thanks mate, always appreciate your insight into goalkeepers. I've always wanted to ask, but haven't so I won't but sort of am in a roundabout way 😂, where you used to play as you always down play it but clearly know your stuff.

Courtois then, personal feelings aside, and put them completely away, how good is he?

Edited by martin1905

So here's a little something for you all from my mate. 

Some know, some don't, some probably don't believe and some no doubt don't care but he used to work for the club, was very close to Mason Mount and is still in touch with his Dad. He told me last Friday morning that Pochettino was done, I broke the story on here before anybody anywhere else 😂 although obviously it's still not official.

Anyway this has nothing to do with Mount.

Levi Colwill will 100% be a part of the first team squad next season. The club were worried that if he stays he might not get the game time he needs but Pochettino rates him very, very highly. Not really hard to make something like that up I hear you say, or think, although I couldn't hear you think, can't hear you say anything either to be fair but anyway I'm waffling.........

This next bit is where it gets interesting and could prove to be complete bollox or it could be true but not happen. He is, apparently, being seriously considered to be pushed into midfield. Pochettino believes he has absolutely everything to become a top, top quality DM and with the lack of genuine, realistic options who won't cost a small fortune it's apparently being spoken about.

So there you have it, not my thoughts or opinion just passing on what I have been told by someone that does have some inside knowledge and has been right numerous times in the past. Havertz before we were linked with him, Morata when he was on his way to United and we were getting Lukaku are two such examples I remember talking about before they happend. Also got plenty wrong so it is what it is.

Interesting to think about and  debate if nothing else.

• Like 4

@martin1905  I've read/heard similar stories the last week or so regarding Colwill not only being very much part of the first team squad but a possible DM role. In much the same way as Dier started as a DM who dropped between the centre backs to create a back 3 when Rose & Walker went bombing forward, so he sees as Colwill as versatile enough to play either CB or DM.

30 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Courtois then, personal feelings aside, and put them completely away, how good is he?

Hurts to say it but F'ing brilliant.... up there with the very best...ouch.!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just a thought prompted by the TC conversation.

Over time the moving on from Chelsea of Salah and KDB has drawn a lot of flack and sniggers from the media and at times on here....not views I disagree with except at the time of departure neither player was the one we have been watching at Liverpool or Citeh.

To my mind "losing" TC, for what ever reasons, was far more of a loss and to the long term determent of Chelsea...TC had been carefully brought on to take over from PC and would have been a stable presence still...a much underated by the media loss to Chelsea.

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

@martin1905  I've read/heard similar stories the last week or so regarding Colwill not only being very much part of the first team squad but a possible DM role. In much the same way as Dier started as a DM who dropped between the centre backs to create a back 3 when Rose & Walker went bombing forward, so he sees as Colwill as versatile enough to play either CB or DM.

Very interesting, hadn't thought of  what he did at Tottenham with Dier, or possibly with other players and at other clubs. Potentially makes even more sense hearing that.

For me I think he is so good, for his age, as a CB it's not going to happen but, and I say this genuinely, I don't think I've ever seen a CB pass the ball like him, possibly ever. It's phenomenal and again maybe a reason to keep him where he is as it's a weapon but if he could utilise it further up the pitch then that can only be a positive. 

It's interesting watching him win the ball back and this is the best compliment I can give any player from a defensive point of view. He doesn't make tackles. And by that I mean he, and the best of the best, have such a good understanding of the game, read it so well and their positioning is always so good that they win the ball back 9 times out of 10 without having to make a challenge or commit themselves to a tackle. 

The best two examples I can give in today's game are Thiago Silva and Virgil van Dijk. They hardly ever go to ground. The opposite of that is Kurt Zouma, he is incredible at making eye catching last ditch sliding tackles but it's generally because he got it wrong in the first place.

Personally I can't see it happening, him playing midfield, but can 100% see him being part of the squad and becoming first choice fairly quickly. I'm insanely excited at the prospect of him and Fofana building a long term partnership. I've said how much I rate Fofana and believe we have two potential world class players on our hands. The pair of them are the epitome of the modern day centre back. 

• Like 2

@martin1905 The one I feel sorry for is Badiashile, who also looks like he could reach a very high plateau but may well find himself behind Colwill.  Absolutely agree regarding reading the game so well that he barely has to commit to a tackle. Fofana is slightly different... he's very much a tip of the toe tackler, getting to the ball milliseconds before the opponent. They'll compliment each other nicely. Fofana is a ball carrier from the back; Colwill has a fabulous passing range combined with great accuracy. If they and Reece James and  Ben Chilwell can stay injury free, we could be in for a treat. Two ultra-attacking full backs bombing down the flanks, and two centre backs who can either beat the press by carrying the ball forward, or by pinging pin-point accurate passes 60m or so up the pitch.

As an aside, if you look at how Pep is utilising Stones as a CB moving into midfield, or how he previously used Cancello, it's not hard to imagine someone like Poch who, while not quite on the same plane as Pep, has used some 'out-of-the-box' thinking in the past, considering having someone like Colwill - who reads the game well, is physically strong and an excellent passer - anchoring the midfield alongside Enzo with Fofana and Badiashile behind. When the full backs bomb forward, Colwill becomes the middle of 3 centre backs, allowing Enzo to also progress further upfield where he's most effective. It would certainly save £50m on Lavia or £100m on Rice!

3 hours ago, martin1905 said:

Some know, some don't, some probably don't believe and some no doubt don't care but he used to work for the club, was very close to Mason Mount and is still in touch with his Dad. He told me last Friday morning that Pochettino was done, I broke the story on here before anybody anywhere else 😂 although obviously it's still not official.

Levi Colwill will 100% be a part of the first team squad next season. The club were worried that if he stays he might not get the game time he needs but Pochettino rates him very, very highly. Not really hard to make something like that up I hear you say, or think, although I couldn't hear you think, can't hear you say anything either to be fair but anyway I'm waffling.........

This next bit is where it gets interesting and could prove to be complete bollox or it could be true but not happen. He is, apparently, being seriously considered to be pushed into midfield. Pochettino believes he has absolutely everything to become a top, top quality DM and with the lack of genuine, realistic options who won't cost a small fortune it's apparently being spoken about.

So there you have it, not my thoughts or opinion just passing on what I have been told by someone that does have some inside knowledge and has been right numerous times in the past. Havertz before we were linked with him, Morata when he was on his way to United and we were getting Lukaku are two such examples I remember talking about before they happend. Also got plenty wrong so it is what it is.

Thanks for sharing mate.  A really interesting idea that we might see being tested in pre-season.   I think he could do a job covering for Chilwell at left-back too.  Good progressive passer but also strong defensively. 

Any news on Mount? 😬

3 hours ago, martin1905 said:

I've always thought Chalobah had all the ingredients to be a DM.   

Surprised nobody has tried him there. 

• Agree 2

I like all the soundings that are coming out about Tino(I'll call him that because it rhymes with vino😋

I like the fact he is reportedly open to play players in a different positions .Hopefully

not the likes of Kante playing in a forward position or RLC playing out wide as well as the many other ridiculous set ups we have seen.

Can't wait to see him in charge and see what he does with this lot.

Edited by kev61

1 hour ago, Michael Tucker said:

Sorry to be a pain, but seriously, this thread has gone so far off-topic that it's long ceased to be funny.

Ok so who will be the next permanent Chelsea manager?

If your answer is Poch, what else shall we talk about?

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Ham said:

MT is just trying to maintain some semblance of order ON HIS OWN TIME, which should be appreciated, not derided you rowdy sods 😉

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ham said:

Yes, that's my answer. Obviously.

As for what else you should talk about - on this thread, nothing. That's the point.

Plenty of threads out there, and if you can't find one that fits, then start one. 

23 minutes ago, RDCW said:

MT is just trying to maintain some semblance of order ON HIS OWN TIME, which should be appreciated, not derided you rowdy sods 😉

That'll be The Night Crew!!!😁

Edited by chara

7 hours ago, Ham said:

I've always thought Chalobah had all the ingredients to be a DM.   

Surprised nobody has tried him there. 

Played there in France, so he has done it before. 

I am a little surprised that we didn't try it this season after selling Jorginho, and the glaring need for a more defensively minded option in the middle. 

20 hours ago, martin1905 said:

For me I think he is so good, for his age, as a CB it's not going to happen but, and I say this genuinely, I don't think I've ever seen a CB pass the ball like him, possibly ever. It's phenomenal and again maybe a reason to keep him where he is as it's a weapon but if he could utilise it further up the pitch then that can only be a positive. 

Used to love the way Hoddle always described David Luiz spraying the ball high up field as ''The quarter back pass''  in every commentrary .... Hope Colwill is the same....!!