Who will the next permanent Chelsea manager be?

Who should be next Chelsea manager?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• Julian Nagelsmann
    • Bruno Saltor
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Luis Enrique
    • Mauricio Pochettino
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Diego Simeone
    • John Terry
    • Frank Lampard
    • Ruben Amorim
    • Thomas Frank
    • Hansi Flick
    • Antonio Conte
    • Marco Silva
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Ange Postecoglou
    • Gareth Southgate
    • Marco Bielsa

This poll is closed to new votes

3 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

When 80% of the signings are 22 and under, then no. There are so many examples of players (both here and elsewhere), whose performance after 6 or 12 months would have been judged as ordinary/poor/non-existent, who then went on to be good signings. The difference with us this season is that we have done it en-masse.

Again I agree, I wouldn't expect all the under 22 year olds to perform to that level... what i'm questioning is why on earth we've p*ssed so much money on teenagers and 20 year olds when the first team was in need of serious surgery and a refresh. Spent more wisely we could have just identified 4 or 5 targets and made the first team very good. 

Where would we be now if we had gone ok we need 2 centre halves, a holding midfielder,  a centre forward and one other (winger, goalkeeper take your pick) - we have £400m to spend and let's get the best player we can in that position whether they are supposed to be available or not? money talks.

51 minutes ago, FrankLampard8 said:

Again I agree, I wouldn't expect all the under 22 year olds to perform to that level... what i'm questioning is why on earth we've p*ssed so much money on teenagers and 20 year olds when the first team was in need of serious surgery and a refresh. Spent more wisely we could have just identified 4 or 5 targets and made the first team very good. 

Where would we be now if we had gone ok we need 2 centre halves, a holding midfielder,  a centre forward and one other (winger, goalkeeper take your pick) - we have £400m to spend and let's get the best player we can in that position whether they are supposed to be available or not? money talks.

Well, the idea is that the spend is taking a longer term view. If a good number of the younger players turn out as hoped, then as time goes on, we wont be in a position where the entire squad needs a refresh. We'll be able to go and buy 1 or 2 top players a year. 

1 hour ago, FrankLampard8 said:

We largely invested in young first team level players, as such they aren't the finished article so will take a little time before hopefully hitting their full stride, but they also aren't academy level raw either. This has been done for a couple of reasons;

• No one is breaking the Man City dominance in the immediate short term, so the window for us to "challenge" is one with a medium to longer view. Therefore signing younger players means by the time our window approaches these guys will be further developed and in their prime years. 
  • Younger players tend to retain their value better and in theory are easier to offload. 
  • The nature of the transfer market makes it harder to prize away good established players from other reputable teams. In ways, they're a premium type of player.
1 hour ago, FrankLampard8 said:

We'd be in a better position no doubt, but it isn't/wasn't as easy as you're making it sound on paper either. We had a delayed start to the transfer window, we had targets in some of these positions that either didn't want to join (De Ligt, Kimpembe, Raphinha), had inflated price tags slapped on them relative to their body of work (Aké), or simply were NFS (Rice). Otherwise we were, and still are, trying to shop for positions where the talent pool is shallow (GK, CF and DM) and thus come at more premium price points.

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Well, the idea is that the spend is taking a longer term view. If a good number of the younger players turn out as hoped, then as time goes on, we wont be in a position where the entire squad needs a refresh. We'll be able to go and buy 1 or 2 top players a year. 

Would not be surprised if that logic has now been put to rest, I suspect whoever takes over will be given higher level of milestones than the previous nobody.

Several seasons without CL football and all the razzmatazz which come with a successful team would severely impact revenue and make the club unsustainable in it current set up. Not forgetting the part of trying to attract quality players without CL football

10 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Franco's free.

Tubby is hovering in the background 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Younger players tend to retain their value better and in theory are easier to offload. 

I don't disagree in general but I don't think this dynamic plays out at a club with our aspirations.

We'll only want sell players who haven't worked out. For those players, we'll have bought them at the peak of their value and will be trying to find takers for very long and  (relative to previous earnings and what other clubs could afford) lucrative contracts.

It's a theory that works for clubs who buy almost with the intention to sell. Get players earlier on, develop them, and sell them when they've been successful enough to attract suitors.

But then maybe that is where we're heading, given the fascination with RB Leipzig and a multi-club model.

Edited by thevelourfog

Maybe they just think that announcing now will undermine SFL's position with the squad, and they want to maximise our chances in the remaining games. After all, if they have agreed, nothing stops them from discussing (and implementing) changes that the new manager wants to bring in while delaying a public announcement until the position is actually vacant.

1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

Maybe they just think that announcing now will undermine SFL's position with the squad, and they want to maximise our chances in the remaining games. After all, if they have agreed, nothing stops them from discussing (and implementing) changes that the new manager wants to bring in while delaying a public announcement until the position is actually vacant.

I think members of the squad have been doing that to all 3 managers we've had this season. 

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, Blue Moon said:

Bit like an old girlfriend ... he'll always have a place in my heart for what he achieved

He's genuinely an incredibly emotionally connected, caring and great guy as well.

Was watching this the other day - legendary video.

Right well. After another spineless, weak and utterly contemptible capitulation last night, why would Poch even want the job (assuming that the media links aren’t clickbait)? Who would want to manage such a boneheadedly stupid, pathetic, dislikeable bunch of mercenary wankers who aren’t fit to wear the shirt?

11 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Right well. After another spineless, weak and utterly contemptible capitulation last night, why would Poch even want the job (assuming that the media links aren’t clickbait)? Who would want to manage such a boneheadedly stupid, pathetic, dislikeable bunch of mercenary wankers who aren’t fit to wear the shirt?

I believe Graham Potter is still available…..

• Haha 1