Who will the next permanent Chelsea manager be?

Who should be next Chelsea manager?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• Julian Nagelsmann
    • Bruno Saltor
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Luis Enrique
    • Mauricio Pochettino
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Diego Simeone
    • John Terry
    • Frank Lampard
    • Ruben Amorim
    • Thomas Frank
    • Hansi Flick
    • Antonio Conte
    • Marco Silva
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Ange Postecoglou
    • Gareth Southgate
    • Marco Bielsa

This poll is closed to new votes

3 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Sure, but what more could he do? They are top. They are in the QF of the CL.

His record at two lesser clubs is also excellent. 

For me it's more listening to the guy.

It's like Tuchel and other managers before him - he has that x-factor.

• Like 1

Just now, paulw66 said:

I actually think if you take away the Spurs rivalry, he would be a good choice.

Did well at Southampton. Took an ordinary Spurs team and turned them into a very good one. A lot of young players (like we have now) improved under him......Walker, Rose, Alli, Kane, Eriksen to name a few.

The argument that he didnt win anything at Spurs is somewhat caveated by the fact he didn't have the best team. He took that team as far as it was possible to go. 

The one blot on his copybook is his time at PSG, but they really are a circus club.

Good choice even if 50% of the fans don't particularly want him? That is a factor that has to be considered.

We can't take away the Spurs rivalry.

2 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Good choice even if 50% of the fans don't particularly want him? That is a factor that has to be considered.

We can't take away the Spurs rivalry.

I did caveat the whole thing with, "if you take away the Spurs rivalry"

Also, if you get to the stage where the owners are doing what the fans want, you are in trouble. Fans of all clubs are fickle. Roman didn't give a shiny sh*te if he upset the fans with a sacking. He knew his own mind and did what he thought best.

Moreover, I don't think 50% of fans would be against Poch, and if he did well, people would quickly stop caring. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Also, if you get to the stage where the owners are doing what the fans want, you are in trouble. Fans of all clubs are fickle. Roman didn't give a shiny sh*te if he upset the fans with a sacking. He knew his own mind and did what he thought best.

Moreover, I don't think 50% of fans would be against Poch, and if he did well, people would quickly stop caring. 

I will never feel the same about Pochettino as I do Tuchel, but I could imagine feeling that way about Nagelsmann.

Plus, I don't think Roman would have hired such a proven and successful bottle merchant as Poch.

Did well at Southampton? I thought we realised with Potter that mid-table credentials don't count for much.

Alright I'll stop ranting about him - apologies - but I think it is useful to hear other fans' reservations on him.

I'll stick by my intuition that many Chelsea fans would be unhappy with him but willing to be proven wrong on that.

At this point in time we need a unity candidate, not more division and a lack of clear Chelsea identity.

6 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Exactly. Let's be honest here, this forum is a good barometer. Some very knowledgeable fans on here, whilst some haven't got a scooby do (for all we can talk about opinions, subjectivity etc etc).  Owners pandering to what fans want would be a horrible slippy slope and one surely these guys will not entertain.

There is simply now way 50% of our match going fans, Uk based fans or global fan base would object to Poch. We would be talking a small minority, not that it should come into it in this scenario.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Plus, I don't think Roman would have hired such a proven and successful bottle merchant as Poch.

What did Poch bottle? His Spurs team overachieved IMO.

Did well at Southampton? I thought we realised with Potter that mid-table credentials don't count for much.

Sure, but it is better than doing badly there.

I'll stick by my intuition that many Chelsea fans would be unhappy with him but willing to be proven wrong on that.

Many or most? To be realistic, it matters not one jot what any of the keyboard warriors want in terms of unity. The players and the club are only going to notice fan disharmony in the ground. I would imagine most match going fans would get behind Poch, but I have little to quantify that with. 

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

Love watching this guy. Screams authority in every video.

Scary German accent always helps.

Have to say that clip has put me firmly in team JN.

Very intense, giving and demanding 100%. Everything I want to see from a manager!

Edited by boratsbrother
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

What did Poch bottle? His Spurs team overachieved IMO.

Sure, but it is better than doing badly there.

Many or most? To be realistic, it matters not one jot what any of the keyboard warriors want in terms of unity. The players and the club are only going to notice fan disharmony in the ground. I would imagine most match going fans would get behind Poch, but I have little to quantify that with. 

Champions League Final? Biggest one was not winning the league with PSG.

Imploding against Madrid in the Champions League with PSG too?

We said the same thing with Potter. Most of the fans got behind him at first (because they had to) but still had reservations.

I could be completely wrong. Maybe it's the tiny minority of matchday fans that don't want Poch. 

In which case I'll shut my trap. I suspect many more have reservations though.

Could you imagine Conte ever winning the league with Spurs? Could you imagine Poch ever winning the league with us?

There's a reason why Potter never seemed a good fit and there's a reason Poch doesn't seem a good fit to many.

12 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Have to say that clip has put me firmly in team JN.

Very intense, giving and demanding 100%. Everything I want to see from a manager!

I know right. Strong ideas and strong character. Interviews are well worth watching too.

The contrast between this and reports of our training under Potter.

Lots of hand claps and softly "Well done boys!"

13 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

More concerned with what he did in the PL, than at the circus, but I wouldn't call losing to Liverpool (a much better team) as bottling it. 

Like I said, the Spurs team that Poch managed was never "supposed" to win the PL or CL. The fact he came close is to his credit. 

That said, I am team Nagelsman for now. Poch would probably be my 2nd choice. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

A bit like the Todd Boehly version of Chelsea, then? 😉  Wealthy owners without a clue, meddling in everything.

I realised as I type that this response was inevitable (and not unfair). That said, we are still very early into this new era, and we are long way off doing what PSG have done so far. 

It is quite funny listening to the pundits / experts talking about Boehly and Co versus Roman. Nobody mentions that Roman came in, and with a squad that had come top4, then bought 10 players that summer. It is all conveniently forgotten, and now that Boehly has done the same thing, he is some sort of idiot. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

I realised as I type that this response was inevitable (and not unfair). That said, we are still very early into this new era, and we are long way off doing what PSG have done so far. 

It is quite funny listening to the pundits / experts talking about Boehly and Co versus Roman. Nobody mentions that Roman came in, and with a squad that had come top4, then bought 10 players that summer. It is all conveniently forgotten, and now that Boehly has done the same thing, he is some sort of idiot. 

I know, it was a cheap shot, and yes, RA wasn't much different in some ways at the start... but he didn't tear down the entire structure, though. Plenty of people were kept in place, so while he did go a bit mad buying players, the rest of the club was relatively stable. Things did change, but progressively.  I don't recall RA sacking the entire medical department within the first six months, for example.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

More concerned with what he did in the PL, than at the circus, but I wouldn't call losing to Liverpool (a much better team) as bottling it. 

Like I said, the Spurs team that Poch managed was never "supposed" to win the PL or CL. The fact he came close is to his credit. 

That said, I am team Nagelsman for now. Poch would probably be my 2nd choice. 

Well Jose was never supposed to win the CL with Porto.

But not winning the league in his first season with PSG is a big worry too.

That is virtually impossible. (I'm gonna shut up now)

1 minute ago, Max Fowler said:

Well Jose was never supposed to win the CL with Porto.

But not winning the league in his first season with PSG is a big worry too.

That is virtually impossible. (I'm gonna shut up now)

PSG was bad but they really are a case of buying all the expensive toys you can and hoping you can mould them into a team , Tuchel did better with them but not much better than Poch , they have a plethora of bellend players unfortunately 

22 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

I know, it was a cheap shot, and yes, RA wasn't much different in some ways at the start... but he didn't tear down the entire structure, though. Plenty of people were kept in place, so while he did go a bit mad buying players, the rest of the club was relatively stable. Things did change, but progressively.  I don't recall RA sacking the entire medical department within the first six months, for example.

Yeah, I know what you mean, but again, Roman didn't buy a club that had been sanctioned, and in complete turmoil.

with the injuries we have had over the last couple of seasons, sacking the entire medical team was probably overdue! 

• Agree 1

One out of the vision of most is Roger Schmidt of Benfica.

Doing a good job, manages ‘teams’ and improves players (Enzo as an example).

Managers from that league have a tendency to do well in the PL. 

Different to the ‘usual suspects’?

Edited by east lower

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

See where you are coming from, by season two Roman had his structure in place on and off the field. Kenyon running the business who recruited JM to win things

TB & Co now have the sports department and one hopes they recruit someone who will have a similar impact as JM.

33 minutes ago, east lower said:

One out of the vision of most is Roger Schmidt of Benfica.

Doing a good job, manages ‘teams’ and improves players (Enzo as an example).

Managers from that league have a tendency to do well in the PL. 

Different to the ‘usual suspects’?

Ruben Amorim has been mentioned as a person of interest in a few articles i've read too.  Perhaps a manager from a "lesser" league but in charge of and succeeding with a big club like Benfica/Sporting/Napoli etc might be a good bet for us? Surely success there indicates an ability to handle pressure/expectation as well as developing players? 

Which sounds about what we need now.  

The club is at its lowest ebb since the early 90's and very badly needs a character who can come in and give the place an instant lift for the start of next season.

No doubt Poxh is a decent manger who would probably do a decent/good job and get us back into CL contention. However, though he's not the worst manager available he'd still be a bit of a meh oppointment and wouldn't give the club or the fans the lift it desperately needs. I also doubt he's of the level to take us higher than being a CL contender, so he'd be a no for me! 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

The club is at its lowest ebb since the early 90's and very badly needs a character who can come in and give the place an instant lift for the start of next season.

No doubt Poxh is a decent manger who would probably do a decent/good job and get us back into CL contention. However, though he's not the worst manager available he'd still be a bit of a meh oppointment and wouldn't give the club or the fans the lift it desperately needs. I also doubt he's of the level to take us higher than being a CL contender, so he'd be a no for me! 

But imagine the hilarity when he pretends he has forgotten English after a time away and has to use an interpreter like he did with Spurs when he was pretending he couldn't speak it for months last time.

4 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Tbf PSG and Spuds have been bottle jobs long before him, and have continued to be after him

Spuds went the proven winners route of Jose (your top pick) and Conte with pretty much the same squad, and neither did anywhere near as well as him

11 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Just about every head coach/manager has been sacked by some club in their history. Doesn't really mean anything as far as I can tell.

Ironically one of the only managers not to be sacked before joining us was Potter I believe. And look how that turned out!

• Like 1