Who will the next permanent Chelsea manager be?

Who should be next Chelsea manager?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• Julian Nagelsmann
    • Bruno Saltor
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Luis Enrique
    • Mauricio Pochettino
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Diego Simeone
    • John Terry
    • Frank Lampard
    • Ruben Amorim
    • Thomas Frank
    • Hansi Flick
    • Antonio Conte
    • Marco Silva
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Ange Postecoglou
    • Gareth Southgate
    • Marco Bielsa

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, ROTG said:

Can't believe the club hired Danny Blanchflower as a Manager

I'LL get the OG coat

It was said the young players had no idea what he was talking about....and then there was Hurst....sigh.

OG indeed but Kepa "critics"..ever see Borata play.?.....

Hurst and Blanchflower Great Players...as I said recently..should have stayed exactly that with Ex in front!

Our angst at this time?

All This Too Shall Pass...eventually!!!!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Tbf PSG and Spuds have been bottle jobs long before him, and have continued to be after him

Spuds went the proven winners route of Jose (your top pick) and Conte with pretty much the same squad, and neither did anywhere near as well as him

My top pick is Nag. Logic doesn’t follow. Different type of managers. Conte and Jose need full backing with top players. Jose past his best anyway. And both a bad fit for Spurs given their Chelsea history (hence don’t want Poch for same reason..)

Sounds like, lots of rumors anyway, although no doubt they come from the same source, we are speaking to Enrique and Nagelsmann.

I think, with the most likely candidates all being out of work we absolutely have to get someone in as soon as possible to give them as much time as possible to prepare for Madrid.

All the talk of us being prepared to take our time is nonsense, absolutely no doubt we have done the legwork for whoever we want and that's why we sacked Potter when we did. 

I think we are just trying to look good towards Potter, who has in fairness handled this incredibly well and very professionally.

For all his faults we have actually been pretty good in Europe, or at least much better than in the league, so to sack him now, not replace him, and go in with this Bruno fella would just make no sense at all. 

1 hour ago, chara said:

It was said the young players had no idea what he was talking about....and then there was Hurst....sigh.

OG indeed but Kepa "critics"..ever see Borata play.?.....

Hurst and Blanchflower Great Players...as I said recently..should have stayed exactly that with Ex in front!

Our angst at this time?

All This Too Shall Pass...eventually!!!!

Not only that, Geoff Hurst also brought in the unpopular Bobby Gould as his assistant, and some years later when John Neal was forced to quit due to ill health, John Hollins brought in the awful Ernie Whalley who was despised by every player during the Hollins reign and they turned us into a long ball tema like Watford and Wimbledon, and in the end we got relegated, although before we went down they were both sacked.  Horrible memories indeed!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

Not sure why people are finding it hard to grasp that Jose would be much more likely to succeed again at Chelsea than he was at Spurs, and vice versa with Pochettino.

He won't.  He's past it. Finished. Kaputt.  Over the  hill. A bloody dinosaur stuck in a time warp. I'm a firm believer in if you leave a club, you should never go back.    If we must go for an ex-manager, why not Ancelotti?  Much more modern and still a serial winner, not a has=been like JM.

2 hours ago, Miguelito07 said:

I get the impression that it will be Nagelsmann or Enrique 

Yep. I would prefer Enrique personally as he’s more experienced, has more authority/credibility  and would immediately command the respect of a chaotic dressing room.

Nagelsmann worries me as he’s just been sacked from a high profile job, and is still quite young. But I get it that Nagelsmann has links with some in our new set up and might therefore be a more amenable fit. I just hope we make the decision on sporting grounds, not on who is a mate of the Sporting Director. 

Edited by Original 21
  • Agree 1

Really surprised to see some of us champion Jose as the right candidate. He's never been about growing a sides talent and instead always wanted to work with experienced players and win now. Think Salah and De Bruyne, for instance. Well, we have quite a few of these players now. There's also an age element with him now which, and this is just my assumption, he would be even more interested in a squad that's ready to challenge for titles now, which we are not. 

Genuinely for me he's one of the worst candidates for this project. 

Just to add, i am a big Mourinho fan and some of my best memories as a football fan have been under him. I also follow Roma mainly because of him. 

Edited by DannyLB
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, martin1905 said:

Sounds like, lots of rumors anyway, although no doubt they come from the same source, we are speaking to Enrique and Nagelsmann.

I think, with the most likely candidates all being out of work we absolutely have to get someone in as soon as possible to give them as much time as possible to prepare for Madrid.

All the talk of us being prepared to take our time is nonsense, absolutely no doubt we have done the legwork for whoever we want and that's why we sacked Potter when we did. 

I think we are just trying to look good towards Potter, who has in fairness handled this incredibly well and very professionally.

For all his faults we have actually been pretty good in Europe, or at least much better than in the league, so to sack him now, not replace him, and go in with this Bruno fella would just make no sense at all. 

I see it differently to this. One of my concerns when Potter was appointed was how quick it all happened. We hear they interviewed other candidates, but I think they had made their mind up it was going to be Potter before Tuchel was sacked.

That’s  why I think they will take more time this time. It will be a proper interview process and will take longer (it nearly already has) than it took to appoint Potter.

I’m convinced whatever the interview process was last time, it was merely a random process lacking diligence. Boehly and co had been seduced by all things Brighton.

Time could be another 24 hours or another 2 weeks. I think we are looking at Bruno in charge for at least a couple of games , maybe longer if we do ok.

Edited by Thiago97

16 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

I see it differently to this. One of my concerns when Potter was appointed was how quick it all happened. We hear they interviewed other candidates, but I think they had made their mind up it was going to be Potter before Tuchel was sacked.

That’s  why I think they will take more time this time. It will be a proper interview process and will take longer (it nearly already has) than it took to appoint Potter.

I’m convinced whatever the interview process was last time, it was merely a random process lacking diligence. Boehly and co had been seduced by all things Brighton.

Time could be another 24 hours or another 2 weeks. I think we are looking at Bruno in charge for at least a couple of games , maybe longer if we do ok.

One of the major differences now is we now actually have a department to look at prospective managers and compare their attributes whereas everything was down to Boehly and Egbahli last time. 

vv

The following is an updated version of part of my monthly 'Transfer Rumours' post.  Originally these were rumours based on if Potter were to be sacked. In red are the rumours since his sacking.

MANAGER (Graham Potter sacked 2nd April)

Jose Mourinho (Roma) - 4th Feb, Daily Mirror

Hansi Flick (German NT) - 5th Feb, Daily Mirror; 11th Feb, Christian Falk (Twitter)

Luis Enrique (unemployed) - 6th Feb, Fichajes; 2nd March, Sport.es;
- 3rd/4th April Guardian, Daily Mail, Telegraph + others

Ruben Amorin * (Sporting Lisbon) - 20th Feb, Simon Philips (Substack);
-
3rd/4th April Guardian, Daily Mail, Telegraph + others

Mauricio Pochettino * (unemployed) - 21st Feb, Graeme Bailey (Twitter);
-

Zinedine Zidane * (unemployed) - 21st Feb, Fichajes; 2nd March, Sport.es

Luciano Spalletti (Napoli) - 22
nd Feb, Calciomercatoweb

Roberto de Zerbi (Brighton & Hove Albion) - 1
st March, Football Insider;
NOT BEING CONSIDERED - 4th April, Daily Mail via The Athletic

Julian Nagelsmann (Bayern Munich – Gardening Leave) - 28th March, Daily Mail & others;
-

Oliver Glasner (Eintracht Frankfurt) - 4th April, The Guardian

Marcelo Gallardo (unemployed) - 4th April, The Independent

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

1. It's The Mail.

2. Why would Frank be remotely interested?

3. It's The Mail!!!!

Be fair, Michael. It’s The Mail quoting The Sun! 

Frank was at the game last night. Hence he’s going to be our interim manager. It’s logical really. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Original 21 said:

Frank was at the game last night. Hence he’s going to be our interim manager. It’s logical really. 

It's not the worst call in the world, and I am sure he will get tunes of   MM, Sterling, Kante and some of the others who played for him before.

I would prefer Tubby just for the discipline.

• Angry 1

1 minute ago, kev61 said:

I see Nagelsmann is the top runner amongst people here.

Why?.Forgive me I reckon most people know nothing about him.

I hope the owners have had an extensive research on him.

They can all read (I hope) - and there's plenty out there if they want to look. So most would know quite a lot about him. To claim that 'most people' know nothing about him, is imo, a bit silly. 

5 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

They can all read (I hope) - and there's plenty out there if they want to look. So most would know quite a lot about him. To claim that 'most people' know nothing about him, is imo, a bit silly. 

Be honest did you know anything about him?.when he came into the picture .

You probably googled him and be honest.

Well, I'm not going to ask  what the majority think,because the majority is generally of no importance to me.

33 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Be honest did you know anything about him?.when he came into the picture .

Yes, a little. 

You probably googled him and be honest.

I certainly did, but I'm not sure what (if anything) that 'proves'. He's been linked to the club for quite a while.

Well, I'm not going to ask  what the majority think,because the majority is generally of no importance to me.

Right. That makes perfect sense.

Time to move on, I think.

1 hour ago, kev61 said:

Why?.Forgive me I reckon most people know nothing about him.

Doubt it - if you follow German Football, Champions League , German nationality or drink red bull you probably know about the man. 

Did you anything about Raneri, Mourinho, Ancelotti or Conte before they were hired by the club? - Just asking

1 hour ago, kev61 said:

I hope the owners have had an extensive research on him.

Like TB did on potter??.

If you read the papers, you would be enlightened in the knowledge that recruitment is being done by the sports department who will interview several candidates and make recommendations to the owners.  

4 hours ago, ROTG said:

Doubt it - if you follow German Football, Champions League , German nationality or drink red bull you probably know about the man. 

Did you anything about Raneri, Mourinho, Ancelotti or Conte before they were hired by the club? - Just asking

Another purveyor 

13 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Another purveyor  of bullshit.

To be fair to @ROTGhe's not really wrong in this case. 

Anyone who follows football as a whole would have heard of Nagelsmann at one point or another in the last 5 or so years. To take a line from Micah Richards, Nagelsmann burst onto the scene. Whether it was through being an incredibly young manager getting a chance, his approach to football, or what he achieved at Hoffenheim or Leipzig, there's been talk about him for some time now.

Of course, if anyone only keeps tabs on the Premier League or Chelsea then being unfamiliar with him isn't a great surprise. He's certainly not some obscure unknown quantity, that's for sure.