JaneB

1 hour ago, kev61 said:

We see Haaland  scoring goals for fun - not in a spectacular way (except for the scissor kick).

He has players around him that Sterling had.Sterling is predictable in every move he makes, Haaland just buries a chance or even a half chance.

Guardiola just knows a good player and trusts them,without inculcation 

We have players that need spoon fed.Guardiola knew that Sterling was a luxury,but Sterling looked good in a City team so we were suckered into buying him.

As I said before Frank is under no pressure,show us what you can do.

Man City have the supporting cast around their attacking players that can not only occupy defenders themselves, but also have the quality and intelligence to move and create for others. This is why Sterling excelled, outside of Pep also putting him in a position to succeed. 

Anyone under the impression that Sterling was going to come here and carry the attack where always going to have a difficult time in being satisfied. Sterling is a good complimentary player that has a specific skillset that can be quite useful when in the right environment. Take him out of that, like with a lot of players, they struggle and look far less effective. 

34 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Man City have the supporting cast around their attacking players that can not only occupy defenders themselves, but also have the quality and intelligence to move and create for others. This is why Sterling excelled, outside of Pep also putting him in a position to succeed. 

Anyone under the impression that Sterling was going to come here and carry the attack where always going to have a difficult time in being satisfied. Sterling is a good complimentary player that has a specific skillset that can be quite useful when in the right environment. Take him out of that, like with a lot of players, they struggle and look far less effective. 

Sterling epitomised where it all went wrong.Liverpool were pissed off with him,then City came along and found a position for him that they needed filled.

City flogged him to us with a smile like a Cheshire cat.

When will get tough?.Is there no brains in our recruitments

I said before the game if we can keep VJ and Benzema quiet we will have a chance.

VJ ran riot and Benzema obliged with a goal.Reece was well capable  of dealing with VJ  but we tried to be smart and use Reece as an attacking player.

7 hours ago, Holymoly said:

Just in and saw the result. I have to say, taking into account Chilwell's sending off 2-0 isn't too bad. Obviously it's beyond us being able to claw that back, especially given Cucurella will come back in at the Bridge but it could have been much worse. I'll watch the extended highlights before I hand out any specific criticism but I would have taken that at before kickoff as being the most lenient score to result in us being eliminated. At least we ended up in a better position than Bayern. Hopefully we will be able to find the goal again before the end of the season but I'm beginning to doubt it now.

I reckon Bayern have more chance of going through than we do though. City were very good on the night, Bayern were also decent but individual mistakes may have taken their game away.

No way we don't concede at home to Madrid, which means we are likely going to need 4 goals in one game against them.......as we had 4 games without 1 goal recently.......I think I would prefer Bayern's chances of progress!

1 hour ago, kev61 said:

Sterling epitomised where it all went wrong.Liverpool were pissed off with him,then City came along and found a position for him that they needed filled.

There is no rhyme or reason to much of our recruitment, hasn't been for years mind you, but Sterling isn't the problem either. 

IF we had a functional midfield built around Enzo that includes neither Kante or Kovacic as starting players tasked with being prominent figures in our build up and attacking phases, then we'd already be about ten steps ahead of where we are. Add a CF and a more multifaceted attacker, say the impending Nkunku for example, then we'd function a whole better in the final third - even with Sterling in the side.

The thing is, he's a complimentary piece that can score goals in a functional attacking setup. We saw that at Man City, and there were glimpses early under Tuchel who had a precise plan on how he wanted to utilise him. All that fell by the wayside under Potter and has since continued as we've routinely struggled. 

The 3 +2 defence setup with James/Chilwell only works when the LwB/RwB have a fine day at work. Yesterday they didn't and it makes us very vulnerable.

I would consider a 4-4-2 for our next games and: have plan for our attacking play! Now! 

7 minutes ago, chrisb said:

@Ham, get better soon mate. Don’t want to see you subbed off in the 80th minute with DWMH coming in as your replacement! 

In all seriousness, look after yourself before all else.

Thanks Chris 💙

Perish the thought 🙈

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kev61 said:

So wrong 

Sterling when part of a coached team under TT in the PL 

image.png.e12f98d8180ed4e5284a558324ee5e3c.png

12 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

You're right he IS the best winger in the world! Why with him AND Lukaku we will be unstoppable.

Absolutely MK, another toilet player who hitting the onion bag and is still in the CL

17 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Does anyone else find the expression "honest assessment" deeply infuriating? May need to delete The 5th Stand app.

It drives me mad that app. It appears to be an exercise in insulting our intelligence as football supporters who can see exactly how awful this side is. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I meant tedious, as in people keep (incorrectly) referencing it. 

OK what did he say then because the quote I saw he said " He's one of the best wingers in the Premier league and some might say the world" , put me straight please .

1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

OK what did he say then because the quote I saw he said " He's one of the best wingers in the Premier league and some might say the world" , put me straight please .

ok.

QUOTE:

He’s been one of the best wingers in the world for a long time — at times, maybe in some people’s opinion, the best.

UNQUOTE

1. Saying he is "one of the best" is very different to saying "the" best.  That is a key distinction. 

2. He said, some people (not himself) maybe thought he was (not is) the world's best.

At no point did SFL say, "Raheem Sterling is the best winger in the world". Didn't happen.

2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

ok.

QUOTE:

He’s been one of the best wingers in the world for a long time — at times, maybe in some people’s opinion, the best.

UNQUOTE

1. Saying he is "one of the best" is very different to saying "the" best.  That is a key distinction. 

2. He said, some people (not himself) maybe thought he was (not is) the world's best.

At no point did SFL say, "Raheem Sterling is the best winger in the world". Didn't happen.

Good . We agree then because if you look back I didn't say Frank said it either I said Frank said " And some might say" 

Mind you , if he has been one of the best wingers in the world for a long time he must have been right on the cusp of the line between best and average.