Who should we keep for the 23/24 season?

Who from our current squad should be kept?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the players you would KEEP in the first teams squad next season…

• Kepa
    • Mendy
    • James
    • Azpilicueta
    • Chilwell
    • Cucurella
    • W Fofana
    • Silva
    • Chalobah
    • Badiashile
    • Koulibaly
    • Kante
    • Enzo
    • Kovacic
    • Loftus-Cheek
    • Zakaria
    • Mount
    • Chukwuemeka
    • Gallagher
    • Ziyech
    • Mudryk
    • Madueke
    • Sterling
    • Pulisic
    • Felix
    • Havertz
    • Aubameyang
    • Broja
    • DD Fofana

On 08/04/2023 at 21:44, My Blood Is Blue said:

Vote for the players you WANT to see kept in the first team for next season from our current squad. Based on performances and not based on whether we can or can’t realistically move them on.

Vote for the players you want to keep, so do not vote for anyone you want to sell, loan or just see gone one way or another. Don’t worry about squad make up of the amount of signings we may need to make… who do you think is good enough to be in the squad next season?

Along with my other post, the trouble is, you need squad players, but you can't have too many of them. 

There's probably between 6 and 12 players there, who you could do a job, but aren't good enough to be in the "definitely keep" pile. 

25 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

I agree with all except Zakaria and Broja. Zakaria had a great spell before his injury. Broja hasn't had a proper run of games yet to truly judge and it was a big shame he got the season ending injury as he would have had plenty of opportunities to prove himself. 

The thing with Zakaria is that he played when the midfield stocks were thin, so he looked a lot better than he really is. Outside of the City game, the rest of his performances weren't anything particularly special. He's also a walking sick note so that virtually makes him not worth out time anyway.

Broja on the other hand I just don't think he's ultimately good enough and was in favour of selling him in the summer. If he was to remain I can't see him being anything more than a 3rd choice type of option at best.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I was going to do this but then realised how daft it is. Far too linear in format and there are multiple variables. 

Example, if Kante breaks down again before the end of this season, he shouldn't be offered a new deal. 

Gallagher and Chalobah are useful squad players and home grown. I'd sell either or both if the right money was offered, but wouldn't mind keeping either. 

You'd sell either or both keepers if the right money came in, but I don't think it will. 

Cucurella you'd sell if you could recoup most of the money, but again, it's unlikely, so do you roll the dice and hope he improves? 

Broja and Fofana D, probably both suited to a loan, but would not object if either continued as a back up.

PEA, Pulisic and Ziyech should all go regardless. Everyone else just about you can make a case for. 

How much would Felix cost to buy, especially if we are not in Europe? 

I don't see the point in buying Zakaria, but again, if Kova was sold and Kante let go (see above) and we got 30m for Gallagher, it might be an option. 

That's the spirit.

• Haha 4

The whole thing was not meant to be a scientific squad defining exercise. 

Just a measuring of how we all saw the worth to Chelsea as individual players without the head scratching "balancing" "finance": and individual agendas, (a harsh way of saying preferences.)

Not player a v player b and on...just a quick cross section view.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Do you disagree? 

There might be only 10 players (for example) who you would definitely keep but that doesn't mean you can bin the rest. 

Paul, I think you're over analysing it, it was a straw poll to see who we as a collective felt was performing well enough to stay, a snapshot analysis of where we thought the club was at 

Nobody knows what is going to happen in the future with any of the players so hopefully nobody will factor that onto their votes. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Do you disagree? 

There might be only 10 players (for example) who you would definitely keep but that doesn't mean you can bin the rest. 

I tried to cover this off as best I could when posting the description of the topic and poll. It’s just a quick poll to see who everyone thinks is worth keeping around based on performances and ignoring squad make up, whether we can or can’t move players on etc.

It really was just a bit of fun as we often get in debates about who should and shouldn’t stay and so we’re just doing a quick hands up to see where everyone sits in terms of who they’d definitely want to keep next season. 

I think I kept on 14 players, but of course in reality I know we’d need to keep more than that.

1 minute ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

in terms of who they’d definitely want to keep next season. 

Ah, that is somewhat different.... Definite keepers..... On that basis, I would say there are very few who are untouchable. 

I reckon there are 8 who I wouldn't really consider selling. The rest I'd consider at the right price. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Ah, that is somewhat different.... Definite keepers..... On that basis, I would say there are very few who are untouchable. 

I reckon there are 8 who I wouldn't really consider selling. The rest I'd consider at the right price. 

I think that's the same for a lot of us. 

I would think the priority is to get a head coach in and let him determine who stays, goes or is sent on loan.

whoever walks through the door has to sort out two of the most unproductive transfer windows in the clubs recent history and balance that against squad members which delivered top 4 every season, xx amount of finals, CL, super cup & CWC winners. 

It’s a funny old game, where should the new person get it wrong the wins the lotto as a goodbye present. 

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

I would think the priority is to get a head coach in and let him determine who stays, goes or is sent on loan.

whoever walks through the door has to sort out two of the most unproductive transfer windows in the clubs recent history and balance that against squad members which delivered top 4 every season, xx amount of finals, CL, super cup & CWC winners. 

It’s a funny old game, where should the new person get it wrong the wins the lotto as a goodbye present. 

Football, bloody hell.

FWIW, the way I see it...........

I wouldn't sell (or loan out) James, Chilwell, Silva, Badiashile, Fofana W, Enzo, Mount*, Mudryk

*even that is dependant on a new contract. 

GKS - Bettinelli is here to stay as GK3. I think we'd all sell Mendy and or Kepa if it was possible, and the price is right, but those are big ifs, so realistically, we are stuck with Kepa, which makes Mendy the obvious one to sell. 

DEFs.......aside from those above, there is Koulibaliy, Chalobah, Cucrella, Azpi. If we could recoup most of the Cucurella money, we'd all snatch it, but like Kepa, I can see us being stuck with him, which probably then influences other choices. I would have no problem if the club wanted to keep the others, but we wont need all, especially with Gusto arriving. 

MID.......Kova has a year left, and it's sell or new contract time. Kante, if the op has worked, you keep him all day, but if he is as available next season as this one, there is no point. Then what do you do with Gallagher, Zakaria, Chukwemeka before you cosider Santos and Casadei, and the high chance we sign a new DM.

ATT.......They are all dispensable. Can see Broja and DDF going on loan. Ditto Madueke. Can't see a scenario where Ziyech or Pulisic remain.

• Agree 1

Just seen this breakdown on Twitter , these figures apparently represent the minimum amount of money we need to recoup on the players to break even , many of these players we have little intention of selling just yet but it's still a sobering list:

CFC minimums.png

27 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Just seen this breakdown on Twitter , these figures apparently represent the minimum amount of money we need to recoup on the players to break even , many of these players we have little intention of selling just yet but it's still a sobering list:

CFC minimums.png

Wonder how they work out some of the figures, take Havertz cost us £72m and been with us a little over two seasons.

Above says £28.8m to recoup.

Does that mean appearances reduce the recoup figure or is it just depreciation?

16 minutes ago, jasonb said:

Wonder how they work out some of the figures, take Havertz cost us £72m and been with us a little over two seasons.

According to the fellow who tweeted the list it's book value only , there are some interesting ones , Kepa for one seems very low . 

These are figures if sold in the summer and not today too.

Edited by Mark Kelly

26 minutes ago, jasonb said:

Havertz cost £72m on 5 year contract. That's £14.4m/year amortized. After 3 seasons here, his "book value"  is the initial £72m less 3 x £14.4m = £28.8m

• Like 2

So I've heard two amazing stats on the quality of these players.

1. This is the third time this season that we have gone three games in a row without scoring, and

2. You have to go back 99 years to see a season where we have scored fewer goals (29) after 30 games.

Would it be unreasonable to suggest we  just bin every single player and buy Wrexham or Notts County?

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

these figures apparently represent the minimum amount of money we need to recoup on the players to break even , many of these players we have little intention of selling just yet but it's still a sobering list:

What's perhaps more sobering is that the board could just sell Mount, James, Gallagher and Chalobah, get the same return and keep hold of all the rest for another season or three.