Chelsea 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 2

JaneB

1 hour ago, Michael Tucker said:

And where do you think that this 'best candidate' is hiding, currently?

He might have been hiding in plain sight, just to Lampard’s right yesterday.

A bit lazy to take him, but what’s there not to like about what he’s done with his team, his passion and the way his team operates.

34 minutes ago, east lower said:

He might have been hiding in plain sight, just to Lampard’s right yesterday.

A bit lazy to take him, but what’s there not to like about what he’s done with his team, his passion and the way his team operates.

I think the Boehley-Clearlake group have briefed journos that they're not going back to Brighton for De Zerbi.

He is an amazing coach. Watching them humiliate us like that yesterday was sobering but I knew it was coming.  Anybody who has watched under his management will have seen how good they are. The 4-1 game was bad enough but yesterday was on another level completely.

11 hours ago, kev61 said:

I wouldn't like people  to think I have no sympathy for animals,but 1 person is jumping on the bandwagon AFTER he realised 3 horses had died.

If you're referring to me, no I didn't jump on the bandwagon AFTER realising 3 more horses had died.

From Facebook...

I am anti horse (and dog) racing and anti gambling, and have been for a long time.

Screenshot 2023-04-16 at 11-11-15 Facebook.png

• Like 1

This whole season….I’ve not seen anything like it in the 42 years I’ve supported Chelsea. Even in the bad times, relegation etc, the club still felt like Chelsea. Times change, I know, but Chelsea doesn’t seem like Chelsea anymore. To me, anyway. It isn’t just because of the implosion on the pitch or the new owners or the circs in which they took over. Nothing feels right. Nothing seems to fit. 😐

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Here's a nice shot of Brighton on the attack and the superb job our midfield are doing in holding them off:

RDT_20230416_0955144891121990200556911.jpg

Been happening a lot more since Jorginho was sold. For all his mobility issues, he knew his role on the defensive side of the ball and was one of the few intelligent players we had that recognised danger and positioned himself accordingly. 

Granted, no idea why Lampard had us pressing so aggressively and high. All Brighton had to do was pass the first man of the press and they were virtually in on goal with just the defensive line  in front of them. 

1 hour ago, Bison said:

I think the Boehley-Clearlake group have briefed journos that they're not going back to Brighton for De Zerbi.

He is an amazing coach. Watching them humiliate us like that yesterday was sobering but I knew it was coming.  Anybody who has watched under his management will have seen how good they are. The 4-1 game was bad enough but yesterday was on another level completely.

I’d be hoping the ‘briefing’ was bluff, probably not but they witnessed first hand what watching a well motivated, confident, coached and drilled side looked like and vice-versa.

I’ve been avoiding other football for a while now, so haven’t seen much of Brighton except for going and watching us get stuffed this season at their ground. Where they were good again, not as good as yesterday but good nevertheless.

From the bits I have seen, he’s up there with other prospective candidates.

31 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Been happening a lot more since Jorginho was sold. For all his mobility issues, he knew his role on the defensive side of the ball and was one of the few intelligent players we had that recognised danger and positioned himself accordingly. 

Granted, no idea why Lampard had us pressing so aggressively and high. All Brighton had to do was pass the first man of the press and they were virtually in on goal with just the defensive line  in front of them. 

Jorginho? Slow and passive, and as useful defensively as a chocolate teapot imo. Honestly - and this is not against you personally - but sometimes I think he’s rated so some people can feel superior and use words like “trequartista”. 

Edited by Chelsea_Matt
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

11D790EB-83C4-42CE-9B2B-58F15E61E9CE.jpeg

Individually and as a unit they were levels above us. Not just better coached and technically superior, but also able to think quicker and make our players look like they were running in sand.

We have to remember that Brighton outclassed us last season too, so it's not just about the managers over the last year, the old players or the equally hopeless new ones. This collapse in real quality has been building for years, only difference now is the pace of decline.

Regardless of who the next manager is the gulf between us and the best is so great that I find it hard to see how we can get anywhere near the top level again without discarding nearly all of this squad, old and new.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

You could also be describing Enzo there. 

Caicedo is vastly superior to Enzo and would cost nearly half as much.

They wanted £60m earlier , and let's be honest ROTG would only come on here lambasting the club for buying mid table players .

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

You could also be describing Enzo there. 

Caicedo is vastly superior to Enzo and would cost nearly half as much.

I actually quite like Enzo - but in this team he is playing as a defensive midfielder which he isnt. ALSO, he is playing with players that are plainly put - crap

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

This whole season….I’ve not seen anything like it in the 42 years I’ve supported Chelsea. Even in the bad times, relegation etc, the club still felt like Chelsea. Times change, I know, but Chelsea doesn’t seem like Chelsea anymore. To me, anyway. It isn’t just because of the implosion on the pitch or the new owners or the circs in which they took over. Nothing feels right. Nothing seems to fit. 😐

I have a few years on top of you Matt and I still agree...change is hard after a long time supporting but we all accept a "natural" progression but I wonder if a lot of your (shared) feeling is as much the change in the game overall?

Looking around despite our eternal tribalism the feel of the EPL and elsewhere has changed....a successful side's followers can ignore the feelings you expressed but specifically at Chelsea but not limited to Chelsea I wonder how many real football followers harbour those uneasy feelings?

Just wondering...and good to see you back and firing on all cylinders😄

12 minutes ago, chara said:

I have a few years on top of you Matt and I still agree...change is hard after a long time supporting but we all accept a "natural" progression but I wonder if a lot of your (shared) feeling is as much the change in the game overall?

Looking around despite our eternal tribalism the feel of the EPL and elsewhere has changed....a successful side's followers can ignore the feelings you expressed but specifically at Chelsea but not limited to Chelsea I wonder how many real football followers harbour those uneasy feelings?

Thank you sir! Yes the game has changed to this awful tippy tappy possession for the sake of it, and I totally understand. But like the appointment of GP,  and it’s very subjective and hard to describe but for me the Todd ‘n’ Eggy show, for me, just doesn’t feel right. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Lampard was hired as, and is, nothing more than a place holder until we can identify the "best" candidate to appoint come the summer. 

I don't think anyone really thinks Frank is anything more than a bandaid until the end of the season,,,including Frank himself.

Easy target for our ire and dismay.

Having said that a lot of flack his way but again what do we expect?

Breakdown timeline (approx)..in Thursday..off to Wolves Friday...match day...assume day off Sunday....fly to Madrid ....following day off...Saturday match day...how many actual hours available for any sort of tactical coaching?

I really am not a Frank apologist but how much could any coach do in that time....and whilst we may as individuals disagree with line ups so many calls for changes including Havertz out of the line up but only so many options...and unless an almost impossible set of results blow up elsewhere it really has no bearing on anything...it is still the GP "influenced" unbalanced not coached properly squad.

I am hurting as much as anyone but the effect of sanctions, new ownership ,TT fallout and the appointing of absolutely the wrong coach for such times (for the right reasons but feet of clay) has ultimately led to where we are.

All the factors came together in a perfect storm but the final nail was the wrong man wrong time. 

Edited by chara
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Thank you sir! Yes the game has changed to this awful tippy tappy possession for the sake of it, and I totally understand. But like the appointment of GP,  and it’s very subjective and hard to describe but for me the Todd ‘n’ Eggy show, for me, just doesn’t feel right. 

Got me thinking....the rise of the "Celebrity" owner.... looking around we see all the time reference to clubs as ..for instance.".Levy's Spurs" etc....less emphasis on say "TT's Chelsea" or "Gerrards Villa"..(sorry couldn't resist it.) and so on...Big personalities in the past but even Bates had less (just) of a public personae than most club owners now.

Not a thought out theory so be kind!

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Fernández, Gallagher and Zakaria was about as stupid a midfield as Lampard could have picked. As good as Brighton were, they were very often playing against no one. None of those three players had the brains to realise all of them pressing high was causing such significant problems and to do something about it. No one else on the pitch did, either. It needs to come from a coach, but you also need players who exert that leadership on the pitch.

It is another regard in which selling Jorginho has been a, short term at least, disaster. It's up there with Clearlake's worst decisions, and that's already a competitive field.

1 hour ago, chara said:

This team (below) played 2-2 away to Hereford United i 2nd Division League game back in November 1976. For me it was almost as low as we could get - HEREFORD, ffs....

BUT, and here's the point: from what I recall, the team played decent football with a decent plan and took their job serious. It's lightyears from what I see from our current team and their spirit.

The story continues: the team in 1976-77 went on to promote, and Hereford relegated.

In the end, it's all about what's going on between the ears of each player.  They do have the skills, but no plan and absolutely no confidence. They're "sick" and badly needs urgent treatment.

Screenshot_20230416-173741.png

Edited by asvaberg
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

This team (below) played 2-2 away to Hereford United i 2nd Division League game back in November 1976. For me it was almost as low as we could get - HEREFORD, ffs....

BUT, and here's the point: from what I recall, the team played decent football with a decent plan and took their job serious. It's lightyears from what I see from our current team and their spirit.

The story continues: the team in 1976-77 went on to promote, and Hereford relegated.

In the end, it's all about what's going on between the ears of each player.  They do have the skills, but no plan and absolutely no confidence. They're "sick" and badly needs urgent treatment.

Agree...that's not a bad lineup actually..unless my OG memory is on the blink I was at the home game to Hereford when Butch chipped the keeper from a bad gk...5 -1 I think but not sure without checking.

51 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

I played against two of them!  After they’d left us of course.

• Haha 1