Chelsea 0 Real Madrid 2 (0 - 4 on aggregate)

JaneB

9 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Maybe a bit strange to some, but I feel a bit relieved the dying embers of a glorious era have finally been extinguished. 

It has been a truly incredible ride over the past quarter of a century or so and I'm just thankful I lived through it!

That Chelsea is done and dusted. Time to build a new one and as crap as we are at the moment, I can't wait for the new manager to arrive and start us on that road to building another great Chelsea team and era.

So basically what you're saying is we are effectively back to the days of Ian Porterfield. Yeah, fair comment.

54 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

It feels like Roman being taken out of our club in the way that he was has had the same impact as when Ferguson left Man United, as so much of the club was built by the man and around the man. 

This is the best insight I have seen on our current woes. 

Roman's role was triviliased down to money by jealous rival fans and critics, and his hands on approach and fire and hire approach were also lambasted. 

He clearly had qualities beyond money, which made us the trophy winning juggernaut we were 2003-2022. 

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Or, indeed, a proper head coach! Sorry, but it's blatantly clear that Frank is way out of his depth. Not a clue what to do, or when to do it!

I think you're missing the point. Frank was never "the next manager". He was the quickest fix to allow the club to replace Saltor, the remains of Potter, and hopefully motivate and rebuild damaged confidence. I don't think he was ever expected to turn around the supertanker headed for the rocks but rather just paint the lifeboats a jolly colour as we awaited the inevitable. I think that is why a permanent appointment wasn't made at this point as the board realised just how much of a state the squad was in and results probably no better than we've seen would only undermine and damage the foundations for next season. I expect the off season to be brutal with a number of fan favourites being sold in order to fund a couple of strikers. We need to start from scratch.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I've just watched the highlights again and well....both goals were defensive calamities and easily avoidable if the players had a brain cell between them , I understand that there is a clamour for a coach with progressive ideas to mould this side into a decent one but I honestly don't think the majority of our players are "football savvy" enough to follow instruction , that defending would have been funny if we weren't on the receiving end of it.

I have a feeling that we will not win another game this season , not with this level of idiocy on board .

Our player acquisition has been awful for years now and it really doesn't seem to have improved under the new owners .

We need some experienced , clever , heads to lead this side from within and I don't think experience and intelligence is high on the radar for our procurement team .

We desperately need to clear the decks of the piles of dross we've either inherited or bought , play the kids for the rest of the season and into the next and fuck the others off , even if it means paying them to leave .

If we get a coach who has ability to shape the side into a better one we need to have a clean break with the same old suspects .

I will say despite our evident flaws as a side , they did try their best last night and Frank set them up reasonably well considering the lack of quality anywhere. 

Finally as we languish without a hope in the lower half of the table , we have our Chelsea back .

Thanks Roman , you were flawed but beautiful.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I've just watched the highlights again and well....both goals were defensive calamities and easily avoidable if the players had a brain cell between them , I understand that there is a clamour for a coach with progressive ideas to mould this side into a decent one but I honestly don't think the majority of our players are "football savvy" enough to follow instruction , that defending would have been funny if we weren't on the receiving end of it.

I have a feeling that we will not win another game this season , not with this level of idiocy on board .

Our player acquisition has been awful for years now and it really doesn't seem to have improved under the new owners .

We need some experienced , clever , heads to lead this side from within and I don't think experience and intelligence is high on the radar for our procurement team .

We desperately need to clear the decks of the piles of dross we've either inherited or bought , play the kids for the rest of the season and into the next and fuck the others off , even if it means paying them to leave .

If we get a coach who has ability to shape the side into a better one we need to have a clean break with the same old suspects .

I will say despite our evident flaws as a side , they did try their best last night and Frank set them up reasonably well considering the lack of quality anywhere. 

Finally as we languish without a hope in the lower half of the table , we have our Chelsea back .

Thanks Roman , you were flawed but beautiful.

Well said. Even longnose Courtois admitted we were the better team in the 1.st half. Sadly, we didn't score and we didn't adapted to the minor change in midfield Ancelotti did at half time.

And(above all), we conceeded two easy goals with headless poor defending (at least their 1.st goal)

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Doesn't want to injure himself prior to joining Madrid.

Could be.

49 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Ha ha! Good one. You optimistic fool you.

Man Utd - Nil points

Brentford - They might be on the beach, a point?

Man City - We might lose by so many, the PL may actually take points from us

Arsenal - Nil points,  see Man City

Bournemouth  - Possibly a draw

Forest - Best chance for a win

Plus God loves a trier and the hopelessly romantic

Edited by east lower

I mean, the line up was a joke. Way to go out with a whimper.

We had two chances in the first half, and inevitably fell to defensive minded players, because Havertz aside, that's what the rest of the team was.

Oh, and Courtois is an absolute world class keeper. That save from Sterling last week, and from Cucurella last night. Potential tie-changers. 

1 hour ago, east lower said:

if we get 6 points out of the remaining games I’d genuinely be surprised. 

Forest and Bournemouth = 3 points at home against Forest. Maybe 1 at best away at Bournemouth. 

United A, City A, Arsenal A, Newcastle H and Brentford H = 2 points at best in the home games, 0 points from the away games.

6 points 😉

4 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

We had two chances in the first half, and inevitably fell to defensive minded players, because Havertz aside, that's what the rest of the team was.

Oh, and Courtois is an absolute world class keeper. That save from Sterling last week, and from Cucurella last night. Potential tie-changers. 

Why did he leave back in the day? Were we not willing to give him the salary he wants? Or did he just want to go to the prestige and lifestyle of Madrid regardless? 

3 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Disagree Paul. We could have got trounced if we went more attacking early on. Frank‘s gameplan largely worked and we just didn’t finish our key chances and made crucial mistakes at the other end.

Oh and people criticising Reece? I thought he was the best player on the pitch for at least the first 60 minutes. Huge influence.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Forest and Bournemouth = 3 points at home against Forest. Maybe 1 at best away at Bournemouth. 

United A, City A, Arsenal A, Newcastle H and Brentford H = 2 points at best in the home games, 0 points from the away games.

6 points 😉

I don't think we have a hope in hell of beating the teams below us who will really desperately need and fight for points. City and Arsenal will go down to the wire. Newcastle are likely to be in a battle for CL qualification until the very last day, too. That leaves Brentford, and next week is probably too early for them to be on holiday.

I think 1-4 points is what we're getting.

10 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

That Cucurella chance falls to Alonso and we score there , that's the difference.

Look at this screen shot shortly before they score , Cucurella goes shooting forward stupidly but he's trying to mark two players on his own as the rest of the side are drawn to the ball like schoolboys , just like in the Brighton game , for a top level side this is truly shocking.

cucu.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Look at this screen shot shortly before they score , Cucurella goes shooting forward stupidly but he's trying to mark two players on his own as the rest of the side are drawn to the ball like schoolboys , just like in the Brighton game , for a top level side this is truly shocking.

cucu.jpeg

Yes, clueless 'defending'.  He did the same idiotic charge in Madrid, which led directly to Chilwell's red card. And of course, Chilwell would have buried the chance last night.

Just now, Backbiter said:

Yes, clueless 'defending'.  He did the same idiotic charge in Madrid, which led directly to Chilwell's red card. And of course, Chilwell would have buried the chance last night.

Indeed but it's the eight Chelsea players on the opposite side of the pitch that is even more worrying , they're following the ball like a dog chasing a balloon around a garden

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

Disagree Paul. We could have got trounced if we went more attacking early on.

You don't have to go guns blazing, but you can't start with 5 defenders, and 4 largely defensive midfielders. We had to score at least twice to stand a chance. 

And those chances we didn't take might have fallen to attackers, if we'd had any on the pitch.

We then bring on Felix, Sterling, Mudryk........then 5 minutes later take off the one CF we did have!

2 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Why did he leave back in the day? Were we not willing to give him the salary he wants? Or did he just want to go to the prestige and lifestyle of Madrid regardless? 

he split up with the mother of his child, and she moved back to Madrid with the child. completely get it.

• Sad 1