Chelsea kits

40 minutes ago, Bison said:

No sleeve sponsor either.

So that's no replacement for Three's 40m a year shirt sponsor or Whalefin who were paying 20m a year for the sleeve. 

Surely these guys should be fighting off the sponsors. They made it sound so easy. 

All they could come up with was the low hanging fruit of a gambling sponsor. Pretty embarrassing all things considered. 

I think the time to worry is if we still don't have sponsors when the first game proper kicks off.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bison said:

No sleeve sponsor either.

So that's no replacement for Three's 40m a year shirt sponsor or Whalefin who were paying 20m a year for the sleeve. 

Surely these guys should be fighting off the sponsors. They made it sound so easy. 

All they could come up with was the low hanging fruit of a gambling sponsor. Pretty embarrassing all things considered. 

The issue is that the 3 deal ran out at precisely the wrong time. 

We were in a great bargaining position in 2021 and right up until the club world cup win. We'd have had the best sponsors on the planet beating our doors down. 

Right now we have very little leverage or appeal.  That's why the 12 month agreement with Stake was perfect. 

Qualify for the CL this season or perhaps even better and then negotiate a longer term deal next summer.

53 minutes ago, Ham said:

We'd have had the best sponsors on the planet beating our doors down. 

If that had been the case, I would suspect the club would have brought themselves out of the deal with 3, the same as they did to adidas 

Unfortunately major sponsors do not invest in projects. 

25 minutes ago, ROTG said:

If that had been the case, I would suspect the club would have brought themselves out of the deal with 3, the same as they did to adidas 

I'm not sure whether you get it. At the point you're referring to, we didn't know we'd finish 12th the next year. 

3 minutes ago, Ham said:

I'm not sure whether you get it. At the point you're referring to, we didn't know we'd finish 12th the next year. 

Of course I get it. 
what has happen is solely down to the new owners.

They could have told 3 to go forth when they took over the club and got another sponsor. Instead they decided to restructure the club from top to bottom, which has backfired on the most important asset, the team. 

I am sure the new bloke from Clearlake will come up with a solution.

1 hour ago, Ham said:

The issue is that the 3 deal ran out at precisely the wrong time. 

We were in a great bargaining position in 2021 and right up until the club world cup win. We'd have had the best sponsors on the planet beating our doors down. 

Right now we have very little leverage or appeal.  That's why the 12 month agreement with Stake was perfect. 

Qualify for the CL this season or perhaps even better and then negotiate a longer term deal next summer.

Re Stake I’m afraid the shrieking mob usually gets its way these days; forget personal responsibility, it’s the shirt sponsor’s fault. 

• Like 1
  • Disagree 1

16 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Of course I get it. 
what has happen is solely down to the new owners.

They could have told 3 to go forth when they took over the club and got another sponsor. Instead they decided to restructure the club from top to bottom, which has backfired on the most important asset, the team. 

I am sure the new bloke from Clearlake will come up with a solution.

The new bloke from Clearlake or the chaps from CAA:

Lol, wonder how much they're paying those guys to do their job? 

5 hours ago, Ham said:

But they HAD negotiated a good deal with a viable sponsor.  That's the point.

Good enough for many other clubs and motor racing teams around the world but an issue for a percentage of the ever so virtuous CST. 

If it's not a gambling company sponsor it's a family whose grandad wasn't acceptable. 

CST doesn't speak for me or many other Chelsea fans. 

Interesting definition of viable when we're talking about a sponsor who will literally be outlawed soon. And who anyone with half a brain, and some working knowledge of the club's outreach programmes, would know would go down like a tonne of bricks. Interesting definition of "good enough" also when the comparison points are ... Everton and Watford. The CST also very, very clearly speaks for a significant number of Chelsea supporters, enough to be taken seriously. It is literally how and why it exists.

All of which is completely irrelevant when a "President of Business" took on a role last summer with it already clear for about 6 months that the old sponsor wasn't renewing ... And achieved sweet F.A.  The blame is solely and squarely with the people who didn't do their astronomically well remunerated job for a year. To such a degree they were quietly sacked from it. To apportion any blame to a fan's group who sent a strongly worded letter opposing 3am back-of-a-cigarette packet panic decision is ludicrous. We should never have been even close to that in the first place. When have we ever struggled for sponsor interest to that degree before? Pre-Abramovich, pre-Bates even.

• Agree 2

@thevelourfog...Good post...last line question....are Chelsea struggling for a sponsor in the sense of not being an attractive source?....Cursury look at sponsors across the EPL shows all clubs have no trouble..as far as I can see..in attracting a sponsor(s)...could the issue be a "business worth" one ?....plus these things are not one day decision deals.

Not arguing a point...just pondering on it.

31 minutes ago, chara said:

[SNIP]

are Chelsea struggling for a sponsor

[SNIP]

Short answer?  No.  I'm sure that there are plenty of companies who'd like to have their name on our shirt.

Long answer?  Slightly.  We'll be looking at getting a deal similar to the one we had with 3, and similar to (normal) immediate rivals. Unfortunately our poor season means that without European football there will be a minimum of six fewer opportunities for that company's name on our shirt being seen by television audiences across the world.  So with a smaller potential audience, our 'value' to any potential sponsor is diminished.

The potential deal with Stake dot com was only going to be for one year. During that year we would have been looking for a longer-term sponsor (3-4 years?) going forward.  I presume we're looking for that long-term deal now, with both a tight deadline and from a notional position of weakness due to lack of European football.

So while there will no doubt be plenty of companies willing to sponsor us, there will be few to none looking to invest the sums of money the owners would probably want.