Chelsea Womens Team

Michael Tucker

Did anyone else watch Emma Hayes pre-game press conference earlier today?

I got the very distinct impression from it that she is mightily upset that stories have gotten into the press about the club offering mega-money to her to stay on. Praised her staff and the players with hardly a word about the hierarchy. For me she epitomised the old phrase about "hell hath no fury............".Β 

Something that the hierarchy has done or maybe not done has pi**ed her off royally.Β 

Just my view,Β  interested if others saw it and what they thought.

3 hours ago, east lower said:

I got the very distinct impression from it that she is mightily upset that stories have gotten into the press about the club offering mega-money to her to stay on. Praised her staff and the players with hardly a word about the hierarchy. For me she epitomised the old phrase about "hell hath no fury............".Β 

Something that the hierarchy has done or maybe not done has pi**ed her off royally.Β 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/nov/10/emma-hayes-frustrated-that-private-conversations-with-chelsea-were-leaked

I don't think she left it down to impressions as much as just said it. The club has been one massive leak under this lot.

10 hours ago, east lower said:

Yes and I found it very interesting!

I got the very distinct impression from it that she is mightily upset that stories have gotten into the press about the club offering mega-money to her to stay on.

I agree.

Praised her staff and the players with hardly a word about the hierarchy. For me she epitomised the old phrase about "hell hath no fury............".Β 

Not sure that I'd go that far.

Possibly. TBH I thought that she controlled herself admirably.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, east lower said:

You get the impression that the gang of three have been poking around.

Going to see what happens to Paul Green in the coming months

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Yes and I found it very interesting!

I agree.

Not sure that I'd go that far.

Possibly. TBH I thought that she controlled herself admirably.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

I thought she made it clear that Β she was narked and seemed boiling below the surface, but as you say controlled herself throughout and was professional in the extreme.

Lots of positive and heartfelt stuff about the staff she has with her and HER players, very little about the Senior Management Team and ownership - from memory just called them professionals?

She’ll be one of, if not the last of the RA staff who had any major influence except a few in the development areas - Neil Bath seems to have survived albeit had his role changed.Β 
Β 

I remain in the β€˜yet to be convinced’ club as regards the owners competency (in the football - proper football, arena) to run this club and make us a habitual trophy winning club again.

Edited by east lower

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

You get the impression that the gang of three have been poking around.

Going to see what happens to Paul Green in the coming months

To the first bit - she spoke specifically about her 4hrs spent on the road travelling to the training ground, 6 days a week and how she needed to spend more time as a β€˜Mum’. I wonder if she wanted the club to provide a house, the way they have done for the men’s team management?

Whether she was always going to leave at the end of the season, none of us will know 100%. But, I think she probably would’ve stayed had she gotten a deal near whatever she thought she was worth. There’s so much going on with the men’s team, perhaps the owners and their senior team sat on their hands too long and didn’t act in time, who knows?

It’s going to be an interesting year or two on the playing side for both the women and the men.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, east lower said:

To the first bit - she spoke specifically about her 4hrs spent on the road travelling to the training ground, 6 days a week and how she needed to spend more time as a β€˜Mum’. I wonder if she wanted the club to provide a house, the way they have done for the men’s team management?

Whether she was always going to leave at the end of the season, none of us will know 100%. But, I think she probably would’ve stayed had she gotten a deal near whatever she thought she was worth. There’s so much going on with the men’s team, perhaps the owners and their senior team sat on their hands too long and didn’t act in time, who knows?

It’s going to be an interesting year or two on the playing side for both the women and the men.

I'm playing devil's advocate here as I didn't see her press conference.Β  Obviously I love Emma Hayes and I'm very angry if the owners have once again messed things up.

I don't know where she lives but I'm surprised she doesn't live nearer to the training ground after all these years.Β  She must be able to afford to buy somewhere.Β  I didn't realise the club were responsible for providing accommodation for the players and management.Β  Β Don't they get enough perks already while the rest of us are struggling to pay rent/mortgages?

Anyway, I digress.Β  Wanting to spend more time as a Mum is the equivalent of politicians wanting to spend more time with their families.

Maybe one day we will find out what really happened but I'm sure her leaving didn't need to have happened 😞 

Β  Β Β 

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Maybe one day we will find out what really happened but I'm sure her leaving didn't need to have happened 😞 

Β  Β Β 

Only Neil Bath to go and that is all senior employees of RA gone.Β 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, JaneB said:

I'm playing devil's advocate here as I didn't see her press conference.Β  Obviously I love Emma Hayes and I'm very angry if the owners have once again messed things up.

I don't know where she lives but I'm surprised she doesn't live nearer to the training ground after all these years.Β  She must be able to afford to buy somewhere.Β  I didn't realise the club were responsible for providing accommodation for the players and management.Β  Β Don't they get enough perks already while the rest of us are struggling to pay rent/mortgages?

Anyway, I digress.Β  Wanting to spend more time as a Mum is the equivalent of politicians wanting to spend more time with their families.

Β  Β Β 

Yup. It isn’t good. And for it to be announced now would indicate to me that it’s been leaked and CFC have had to do a clean up on aisle 3 pretty damn fast.Β 

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, JaneB said:

The club often does provide accommodation and transport to men's players and coaches. I don't know that they don't with the women's team, but I'd imagine they don't. Sam Kerr is apparently on about Β£8k a week, and that dwarves what most of the squad and league earn. I'd be surprised if Hayes is on as much. I'm sure she's very well off compared to the average person but not as much as one might imagine given her standing in the women's game.Β 

I doubt money is the issue, tbh. The owners are clearly happy to invest in the women's team. If anything, my guess is she just doesn't have the same chemistry with this lot.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

I doubt money is the issue, tbh. The owners are clearly happy to invest in the women's team. If anything, my guess is she just doesn't have the same chemistry with this lot.

i suspect it is about Money - just not about money at Chelsea or the Prem.
https://www.npr.org/2022/05/18/1099697799/us-soccer-equal-pay-agreement-women
Β 

The U.S. Soccer Federation announced Wednesday that it has reached a deal to pay the U.S. Men's National Team and the U.S. Women's National Team equally, eliminating a contentious pay gap that saw female playersΒ earning less.

The new collective bargaining agreements will run through 2028 and include the "equalization" of World Cup prize money,Β the organization announced.

In February, the governing body and the women's teamΒ announced a settlementΒ to resolve the longstanding pay dispute, with the federation agreeing to pay the two teams equally in the next union contract and give the women's team $22 million in back pay.

Β 
Β 
Β 

Women's football is a bit deal in US - partly this is because it is something they are good at.Β  Partly because so few men play the game (and th eMen's NT is not that good) so the women's game has similar status.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, JaneB said:

Β  Β Β 

Jane - As part of Β their contracts and also their notoriety (wrongly so, in my opinion) the very top echelon of professional sportspeople rarely pay for anything other than their Ferrari’s, McLaren’s or G-Wagon’s .

They are so removed from the world I and probably you inhabit, it’s hard to imagine. 20 years ago an old pal of mine who played in the PL rarely paid for anything when out. His clothes were paid for, his meals were paid for and we’d go out to the finest restaurants and clubs and pay next to nothing, as long as he had a few of his fellow professional’s with us.

So, the men’s team get sponsored housing etc with homes that they live in around the Oxshott/Cobham areas being Β£5m+ on the private estates. No matter how successful Emma Hayes and the Chelsea women’s team are, they’d not support (financially) an output to buy her such a home. Perhaps it is her choice to live wherever it is she does, didn’t she have a bereavement close to her recently - that sort of thing can bring with it a change in perspective.Β 

If you can, take a look at the interview it’s illuminating.

πŸ‘

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

i suspect it is about Money - just not about money at Chelsea or the Prem.
https://www.npr.org/2022/05/18/1099697799/us-soccer-equal-pay-agreement-women
Β 

Women's football is a bit deal in US - partly this is because it is something they are good at.Β  Partly because so few men play the game (and th eMen's NT is not that good) so the women's game has similar status.

I am sure she will gratefully and gladly take the money offered, which will dwarf what she earns now. But that would have been true well before the US national teams aligned their pay. And true across their domestic league. She hasn't moved for money up until now, so while it could well be the sheer amount of it suddenly available I'd still lean towards other factors being at play. Especially when you consider the mass exodus of established staff across the club.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

0-3 comfortable win except for a short period in the last part of the first half when Everton did pose a threat. We are four points ahead of second-place Man Utd with Arsenal still to playΒ  later.

Agree with you. Chelsea were in cruise control for most of it,Β 

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, JaneB said:

No surprise, for me this always felt like it was going to happen eventually. If it wasn't going to be the USWNT it would've been England's.Β 

Hopefully we can win the Champions League and get her that last remaining trophy to fill out the cabinet.Β 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Some of the most corrupt officiating I have ever seen in any game of football.

Absolutely staggering.

RM equaliser from a penalty when the challenge was 2 yards outside the area and then a last -second winner ruled out for offside when Charles was, no joking, 10 yards onside when the cross was made.

Just disgusting.Β  I'm fuming!

Β 

• Angry 1