Chelsea Womens Team

Michael Tucker

5 minutes ago, Ham said:

Some of the most corrupt officiating I have ever seen in any game of football.

Absolutely staggering.

RM equaliser from a penalty when the challenge was 2 yards outside the area and then a last -second winner ruled out for offside when Charles was, no joking, 10 yards onside when the cross was made.

Just disgusting.  I'm fuming!

Spot on. "Staggering" is the perfect word.

2 minutes ago, Ham said:

20231115_221246.thumb.jpg.85505f85b58701c41584ae5e2740fa43.jpg20231115_221142.thumb.jpg.e1de78bb04805be90c6f4d7839fc5113.jpg

There’s the smallest possibility that the officials could have interpreted the foul to be close to the penalty box - line = box and penalty, but offside, how the holy **** can they give that, only thing I can think of is mistaken identity of the goal scorer.

32 minutes ago, east lower said:

There’s the smallest possibility that the officials could have interpreted the foul to be close to the penalty box - line = box and penalty, but offside, how the holy **** can they give that, only thing I can think of is mistaken identity of the goal scorer.

I feel so sorry for the players.

They were head and shoulders better than RM throughout and they have been royally screwed not once but twice.

It wasn't just these incidents either.

Did you notice how the ref started giving tactical free kicks to RM after we went 2-1 up?

It was so obvious. 

2 minutes ago, Ham said:

I feel so sorry for the players.

They were head and shoulders better than RM throughout and they have been royally screwed not once but twice.

It wasn't just these incidents either.

Did you notice how the ref started giving tactical free kicks to RM after we went 2-1 up?

It was so obvious. 

I was channel flicking a bit, but from what I saw we were the dominant team, apart from when their left sided forward got the ball. 

Standard refereeing fare for Chelsea, men’s or ladies teams it seems.

Wasn't the offside given against Sam Kerr because she seemed to be challenging for the ball before Niamh Charles received it? Seems very harsh to me. Kerr's challenge was minimal. The penalty decision was pathetic.

Edited by Sciatika

2 hours ago, Sciatika said:

Wasn't the offside given against Sam Kerr because she seemed to be challenging for the ball before Niamh Charles received it? Seems very harsh to me. Kerr's challenge was minimal. The penalty decision was pathetic.

That's what I heard...Interfering with play.  Ridiculous decisions. Totally bossed the game away from home.

3 hours ago, Sciatika said:

Watching the club highlights (https://www.chelseafc.com/en/video/ucwl-highlights-real-madrid-2-2-chelsea_)

Yes it certainly looks like Kerr is the offside call.
image.thumb.png.40ad7c5f44e798e86453a60c344846fc.png

She (20) comes from an offside position and is challenging for the ball.
The ball does go beyond players but the misjudgement is by the lino thinking Kerr was nearer where the ball actually dropped, an easy error from the lino's position, before Charles (21) scores.
Mind with no VAR the flag should go up immediately, not just a few secs later i would have thought.

Similarly the penalty is given not for the initial challenge but what appears to be a trip when feet seem to touch less than a foot outside the box.
Not image.png.7aceb51e2fae960ae06511b89661b799.png

But here
image.png.5677001f8d8a403f8dd401c354919f4a.png

Not inside and probably not actually a further contact, but an ordinary error made in the Championship of Div 1 every week.

How many times have we seen this given as a pen pre-VAR
image.thumb.png.c4f4ae409d089d3fbe14d1d1461540e5.png

It is true that these still were wrong decisions.   And both were probably given after consulting with one or other linesman (or maybe there wasn't enough discussion).

But it is also clear that neither decision was as way off the mark as the Charles offside or the initial foul =  penalty interpreations.

These decisions were 10 a penny back before VAR, and lets face it Women's refereeing doesn't go through the same vigorous quality control that men's CL reffing does.  It might appear on TV as a big game, but a crowd of 2913 in Spain is actually less than the average home attendance in Div2 for 20 out of 24 clubs.  Bradford City average 17k.  Only Arsenal Ladies get crowds that compete with PL crowds.

For me this is just a reminder that VAR now actually works quite well, and much better than I had expected.  We forget just how many players used to dive to get just that kind of decision.  (Also compare Spurs Chelsea 2016 and and the much milder 2023 game)
Precisely the kind of relatively simple reffing error that would be cleared up immediately with VAR (and are cleared up on a day to day basis in P/CL football)

• Like 1

It's worth pointing out that the referee was about 10 yards behind the play in the centre of the pitch, but there appears to be no obstruction to her view of the incident. The relevant assistant was on the same side of the pitch as the incident also with no obstruction to their view. We cannot see the assistant so we do not know whether they flagged. Nor do we know what was said. Let's say neither of them are sure (they can't be sure because the decision is wrong). They have no VAR to review. Surely the best option would have been to give the decision outside the area on a kind of "First, do no harm" basis. To choose not to was, as I said, pathetic.

I've said before that LJ has what it takes to be the best player on the planet if she really applies herself. 

As good as she is, I think she jogs through games at times and works at 50% effort. 

If she REALLY gave it Conor Gallagher levels of application, wow! 

I know I'm being over critical but I think she's capable of much more. 

• Agree 3

The half ended 3-2. Leicester got a goal back before Kerr got the third. Towards the end of the half there was a weird challenge by AKB outside the area that took out the attacker. It looked like it might be a card to me, but maybe the attacker had lost the ball. Anyway, AKB saved the shot but was turned in by Tierney.

• 2 weeks later...