Mauricio Pochettino leaves Chelsea by mutual consent

Proud-Blue

10 hours ago, ROTG said:

He gave the impression the club has gone back to the old philosophy of high expectations for the coaching team, 

Sorry maybe I have misinterpreted  what you are saying.Every team should "demand" and not have "high expectations" from the coaching team.

Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick...I usually do.

On 05/07/2023 at 08:20, Thiago97 said:

Yep Brozovic would have been ideal and a player we have had links with in the past. I presume no European club felt like they could/wanted to compete on that deal at his age.

I do think we need this type of player as a priority. Maybe Amrabat could be an option. Whilst Caicedo has a number of positives, I believe he will go roaming at times to try and win possession. I would not regard as pure holding player and to try and ask him to do that, will nullify his positives imo. 

Brozovic would bring what I think we need which is experience, and Amrabat was the standout guy for me in the Europa Conf Final.

Do you mean a bit like Kante? Personally I never saw Kante as a DM, he was more a CM and I always found he played better when someone like Jorge was on the pitch with him so he could break from the team shape to win the ball back or press very early high up the pitch while someone else sat back.

On 08/07/2023 at 03:37, kev61 said:

Sorry maybe I have misinterpreted  what you are saying.Every team should "demand" and not have "high expectations" from the coaching team.

Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick...I usually do.

Not every team, Chelsea who’s remit under RA was win something or be gone. 

I get the impression Poch has been give a similar remit, hence his words of winning starts from day one against Liverpool.

Unlike the nobody coach who seemed to believe that it was a project and he had until 2030 to get it right 

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

I get the impression Poch has been give a similar remit, hence his words of winning starts from day one against Liverpool.

I'd like to think that Day One is against Wrexham. Last season's shitshow of a preseason set the tone if you ask me.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Starting as he means to go on? Let's hope so.

I'm probably getting old and becoming out of touch but I only recognise four of those players. Maybe a relection of the churning over of the squad I suppose.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

I'm probably getting old and becoming out of touch but I only recognise four of those players. Maybe a relection of the churning over of the squad I suppose.

Ha ha I hope he drilled them to within an inch of their lives 🤣🤣

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Ha ha I hope he drilled them to within an inch of their lives 🤣🤣

Dear Mr Door,

the squad was decimated with sick notes last season, hopefully this intensive fitness should reveal if any of those sick notes who remain at the club have long term sink note issues

Regards

ROTG

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Dear Mr Door,

the squad was decimated with sick notes last season, hopefully this intensive fitness should reveal if any of those sick notes who remain at the club have long term sink note issues

Regards

ROTG

My dear Mr Gizmo,

Thank you for your note. It is always good to hear from you.

I concur.

Yours sincerely,

C_M

44 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Cobblers.It was a theory  we stretched the players too far last season in training.

I thought the common consensus was that due to the short turnaround between seasons we were woefully undercooked going into last season.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, kev61 said:

Cobblers.It was a theory  we stretched the players too far last season in training.

I thought the theory was that they spent more time on planes flying from one US city to another than doing fitness work and subsequently started the season under-prepared. This lack of fitness was further exacerbated when Potter took over and training sessions became easier and more shambolic.

• Agree 1

We definitely had a fitness issue last season. Nearly every game meandered down the same predictable path. We started with intensity for the first 20-25 mins, yet struggled to make a breakthrough and score. Then the opposition starting to come into the game, often ending with a positive result against us.

We were often flat, with performances and intensity dropping off a cliff by the 30minute mark.

6 hours ago, Flinkers said:

I thought the common consensus was that due to the short turnaround between seasons we were woefully undercooked going into last season.

I agree. Bare in mind we also played over 60 games  the season before last - it was bound to take its toll. 

4 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

I thought the theory was that they spent more time on planes flying from one US city to another than doing fitness work and subsequently started the season under-prepared. This lack of fitness was further exacerbated when Potter took over and training sessions became easier and more shambolic.

Theory of the "flying" is just that I think,,a theory.... Application is the key as always and some do that naturally, others need more "encouragement".

As you rightly point out under GP the training seemed to be less than effective in terms of fitness.

Usual aside... mate of mine played with Bestie...renown for missing training it seems but invariably,as I was told, trained alone later in the day.... not ideal of course but.....

13 hours ago, chara said:

Usual aside... mate of mine played with Bestie...renown for missing training it seems but invariably,as I was told, trained alone later in the day.... not ideal of course but.....

You need to question your mate Chara.He was a model professional when it came to training and he actually stayed after training to practice with both feet to improve his game.

(imagine that!).

Once the drink got hold he wouldn't turn up for training AT ALL.

So whoever told you this nonsense is a figment of his own imagination.

Edited by kev61

I had the pleasure of meeting Georgie B just the once in Bromley, Kent in the early 70's. Either at the King's Head in Bromley itself, or the Dukes Head further along the road (down near the girl's school - I drank well at both, and time fades the memory a tad). Great days!

1 hour ago, Michael Tucker said:

I had the pleasure of meeting Georgie B just the once in Bromley, Kent in the early 70's. Either at the King's Head in Bromley itself, or the Dukes Head further along the road (down near the girl's school - I drank well at both, and time fades the memory a tad). Great days!

You don't know him as well as Kev61, obviously 

6 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

An old Boss of mine ran a bar in Spain in the 90s (I think) and said George came in one night when he was on holiday out there.  As they got a lot of Brits, he didn't have to pay for a drink all night - the clientele were so pleased to encounter him, they all offered him drinks and apparently ended up with a table full of full glasses in front of him by the end of the night.

My Boss basically did a lock-in for George, a couple of his friends and the barstaff so he could a) have a drink with George Best himself and b) to let him have at least some of the drinks that had been paid for. 

He said Best was "a properly good bloke" and that the customers and staff just absolutely loved him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, kev61 said:

You need to question your mate Chara.He was a model professional when it came to training and he actually stayed after training to practice with both feet to improve his game.

(imagine that!).

Once the drink got hold he wouldn't turn up for training AT ALL.

So whoever told you this nonsense is a figment of his own imagination.

Sorry kev,,,,you answered the validity of the post with the drink comment,,,,two seperate time frames,,,and with apologies I NEVER post anything unless I know for sure or make it clear I'm speculating.

Wouldn't bother replying but I consider your views..whilst a bit raspy at times!...worth reading and responding to.

9 hours ago, chara said:

Sorry kev,,,,you answered the validity of the post with the drink comment,,,,two seperate time frames,,,and with apologies I NEVER post anything unless I know for sure or make it clear I'm speculating.

Wouldn't bother replying but I consider your views..whilst a bit raspy at times!...worth reading and responding to.

Sorry Chara it was not a criticism of you.I should never have questioned your judgement  on what you are told.

"Raspy"? I like that word.The reality is I can be downright  ignorant,I hold my hands up to that.

The problem for me is some people believe in the bullshit they read and told(that is certainly not true of you).

There is an excellent series on rte(you can get it on YouTube)called 'the meaning of life'.It has interviews with Stephen Fry and Richard Dawkins  among many.

You get it straight from the horses mouth - no bullshit,no speculation and no interpretation of what you read in the newspapers or on social media about them.

Stephen Fry is a must watch,although I disagreed with him on a view points.

Edited by kev61
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Bert19 said:

An old Boss of mine ran a bar in Spain in the 90s (I think) and said George came in one night when he was on holiday out there.  As they got a lot of Brits, he didn't have to pay for a drink all night - the clientele were so pleased to encounter him, they all offered him drinks and apparently ended up with a table full of full glasses in front of him by the end of the night.

My Boss basically did a lock-in for George, a couple of his friends and the barstaff so he could a) have a drink with George Best himself and b) to let him have at least some of the drinks that had been paid for. 

He said Best was "a properly good bloke" and that the customers and staff just absolutely loved him. 

I won't tell you how I know so much about him,because as Bob Singleton  said  "I would have to kill you".

The thing that gets me is that whining son of his.Poor Calum abandoned by his father but is making a lot of money of how it affected him.

Can't stand the guy.Hollywood good looks and a Hollywood brain.

Sorry chaps and chapesses he makes my blood boil....the end.

Edited by kev61
  • Like 2

I grew up on the Worlds End Estate in Chelsea and would often see George (and occasionally Callum) on the Kings Road. I think he had a place around there., and his local pub  was around St Lukes.

On a side note, I saw Gaza  many years ago absolutely rat-arsed  walking along the Earls Court road. Poor fella.

Edited by Miguelito07

9 hours ago, Miguelito07 said:

I grew up on the Worlds End Estate in Chelsea and would often see George (and occasionally Callum) on the Kings Road. I think he had a place around there., and his local pub  was around St Lukes.

On a side note, I saw Gaza  many years ago absolutely rat-arsed  walking along the Earls Court road. Poor fella.

I bumped into Gazza on my way into work one morning, it was the morning after the premier of his documentary/film. He was wearing the same clothes he’d been in at said premier and was banging on the doors of the yet to open Ladbrookes… really sad to see.

I did stop and speak to him to check he was ok and also wished him all the best, although clearly he’d had a heavy night, he was a nice guy, happy to chat and give me the time… just wish it wasn’t in those circumstances. 

I met George Best once as well, but was far too young to appreciate who he was and what a legend he was, in a hotel up near Alton Towers when we were there for the weekend. My Dad sent me over to get his autograph!

• Like 4