Mauricio Pochettino leaves Chelsea by mutual consent

Proud-Blue

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, kev61 said:

The problem we have is Poch getting it right at the eleventh hour or is it pure luck .

I think it's luck.We have players that will come good regardless who the manager is.

What do the players think about him though? I’ve criticised Poch all season and I’m still not convinced despite some good wins, but to be fair the players seem to like him and they’re definitely playing for him. Definitely not opposed to replacing him, just not sure about the names being lined up. 

Edited by Floyd25

1 hour ago, martin1905 said:

I'd give him some credit if, at any other point this season, we had played with the current 11 in the manner we are currently playing. Not once did it happen before Enzo got injured. 

Not once.

Again, simply not true!

All season there's been signs of better things to come if given the time.

We outplayed Arsenal for 70 mins. 

Caused City no end of problems in the 4-4:draw.  Good draw away too 

Outplayed Villa in the Cup.

Thrashed Newcastle.

Played some great football against Utd, followed by rubbish but then faught back and won when it looked like we'd lost.

You also say the injuries have done him a massive favour. Quite astonishing you say that about a manager who's had to deal with our worst every injury crisis. Never once been able to field a first choice 11.  

• Like 1

Just now, boratsbrother said:

Again, simply not true!

Thrashed Newcastle.

Played some great football against Utd, followed by rubbish but then faught back and won when it looked like we'd lost.

You also say the injuries have done him a massive favour. Quite astonishing you say that about a manager who's had to deal with our worst every injury crisis. Never once been able to field a first choice 11.  

Signs of better things to come but haven't there been real red flags throughout? 

We've been hammered a couple of times and have picked up some embarrassing results along the way (the two draws in quick succession against the two worst teams in the division was disgraceful). 5-0 away to Arsenal? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, east lower said:

And those , are my points also. He’s been turning out dross all season and I’m convinced that this recent upturn has more to do with him being unable to make too many choices because of lack of available choices than it has to do with his coaching abilities.

If memory serves me poch was giving it large around December about needing player etc. in the January window, then overnight he went into jellyfish / company man mode.  

I would not be surprised if he’s been tapped up about a position at another club.  One suspects it’s all down to how much input he gets to summer’s signings and shaping of the squad. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Again, simply not true!

Well it really is true. Not once have we played this system and these players in the positions we have up until now.

Thrashed Newcastle.

Are wereally clinging on to out playing  Arsenal for 70 minutes, but loosing,  and causing City problems. In a draw?

We are better going forward, thats for sure, but why does that equate to progress? 

Sure, we are on more points but last year we had Lampard in for the last 8 games. We won 1. Not really a fair comparison. 

Playing prettier football is not progress.

You take it too literally . I meant that only  having 10 outfield players has left him no choice but to play them and it's worked out rather well, hence doing him a favour.

Edited by martin1905

8 minutes ago, ROTG said:

If memory serves me poch was giving it large around December about needing player etc. in the January window, then overnight he went into jellyfish / company man mode.  

I would not be surprised if he’s been tapped up about a position at another club.  One suspects it’s all down to how much input he gets to summer’s signings and shaping of the squad. 

As for the latter part, let's hope absolutely none whatsoever...............down to the hope that he's been given the Spanish Archer.

16 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Thrashed Newcastle.

Played some great football against Utd, followed by rubbish 

Drew, drew, thrashed Newcastle 3-2 😂, the only thrashing came when they humiliated us 4-1, do you remember that one?

Winners win things, he doesn't. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, east lower said:

Drew, drew, thrashed Newcastle 3-2 😂, the only thrashing came when they humiliated us 4-1, do you remember that one?

Winners win things, he doesn't. 

Winners do win things, same goes for quality players surrounded by other quality players, with the right mix of youth and experience. 

I got no problem with people believing this squad is full of quality winners. I just hope they maintain that same position for the new manager ……doubtful this happens !

Winners do win things, this current group of players as they are now, are only capable of winning cups. Which is why I’m not really bothered about having a ‘winner’ manager right now, cos they would be wasted at present, as the players are not currently  ready for anything more than a potential cup win right now . This may change in the next 18-24 months though. 

2 hours ago, east lower said:

As for the latter part, let's hope absolutely none whatsoever...............down to the hope that he's been given the Spanish Archer.

I wonder if he’d have persisted with Enzo had he not been injured 💭👀🙃

Hmm..pretty v results.... great paper debate but when playing, watching at a game or even from the couch the focus is on winning and I think, same as me. most of us are kicking every ball as the game progresses....if Chelsea are behind I am "tense",,,if they are playing well in an entertaining game they are still losing and the "quality" of the game is somewhat irrelevant,,for me...same as being ahead in a rubbish game....I have never when playing or watching come away from a defeat and consoled myself that "we played well and good entertaining football"........and,,never won a rubbish game with regret!

I'm a competitor now and always have been....not a "participation" deserves a trophy just for being there!

OG and Old Fashioned.....

There's no point in me going backwards and forwards talking about TT.  I'm never going to convince anyone that the majority of football played under him was shit on a stick football and nobody is going to convince me it was great.

Takes me back to an argument I used to have with my brother about the second Stone Roses album. We both thought the first one was a classic, but  I thought the second one was  absolute tripe from first track to last while my brother thought it was a brilliant album.  We both have a lot of similar tastes but on this occasion we couldn't be further apart.

@boratsbrother...the last bit...which is why the Forum is so good,,, imho...different viewpoints make for good talking points...right or wrong is not the issue so much as looking at things from a different angle and accepting that someone else's view is worth thinking about.

I often agree with you and as often disagree but always appreciate the discussion.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

There's no point in me going backwards and forwards talking about TT.  I'm never going to convince anyone that the majority of football played under him was shit on a stick football and nobody is going to convince me it was great.

This is simply not true.When in your life time as a Chelsea supporter have you seen us win against the very best in Europe consistently....and here's the important bit...deservedly so?

Edited by kev61

18 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

I wonder if he’d have persisted with Enzo had he not been injured 💭👀🙃

Enzo in or out of the side isn't where the difference has been made, it's two things;

1) The tactical adjustment of having Cucurella step into midfield and act as that third option and additional cover. This has allowed both Gallagher and Caicedo greater freedom knowing there's a degree of cover in behind should they get bypassed. 

2) The team as a whole looking more comfortable and cohesive from having continued to play more together. 

We lost 0-2 to Brentford with Gallagher and Caicedo partnered together earlier in the season. 

We beat Wolves 1-2 with a midfield featuring neither Enzo or Caicedo (Gallagher and Ugo).

And we beat Palace 2-1 with Gallagher and Caicedo paired together again.

Prior to Enzo's injury we'd been undefeated in the league for the last 7 games he started in (W3, D4), so it's not as if our form was terrible prior. The whole narrative is convenient if nothing else. 

• Disagree 1

^^^^^^^

Enzo slows the game down, unfortunately he doesn’t have game reading foresight like Fabergas who used his speed of thought to compensate for his pace  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, kev61 said:

This is simply not true.When in your life time as a Chelsea supporter have you seen us win against the very best in Europe consistently....and here's the important bit...deservedly so?

I was talking about the Premier League. Cup football is  a completely different ball game.

Furthermore, imho, the depth of quality of the teams in Europe has fallen through the floor in recent years. Barca are a shodow of the team they once were. Worst Bayern Munich team in many years. No great Italian teams.  France has one team and next to nothing else. No great Dutch teams anymore. Sporting Lisbon and Benfica are bang average. Belgium no longer has any good teams. No teams at all in Eastern Europe who are any good.

Teams can take City in a cup format (even fecking Wigan  did them) but over a league season there's not a team in Europe who'd be anywhere near them week in week out year after year. Us winning the league again would imho be a far, far greater achievement than winning another CL 

6 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Enzo in or out of the side isn't where the difference has been made, it's two things;

1) The tactical adjustment of having Cucurella step into midfield and act as that third option and additional cover. This has allowed both Gallagher and Caicedo greater freedom knowing there's a degree of cover in behind should they get bypassed. 

2) The team as a whole looking more comfortable and cohesive from having continued to play more together. 

We lost 0-2 to Brentford with Gallagher and Caicedo partnered together earlier in the season. 

We beat Wolves 1-2 with a midfield featuring neither Enzo or Caicedo (Gallagher and Ugo).

And we beat Palace 2-1 with Gallagher and Caicedo paired together again.

Prior to Enzo's injury we'd been undefeated in the league for the last 7 games he started in (W3, D4), so it's not as if our form was terrible prior. The whole narrative is convenient if nothing else. 

We look way better and more of a team without Enzo. He’s slow and weak imo. Sell him to Real. He’d do well there.

52 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

We look way better and more of a team without Enzo. He’s slow and weak imo. Sell him to Real. He’d do well there.

Good enough for Real, but not for Chelsea?

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Good enough for Real, but not for Chelsea?

La Liga is slower and less physical than the Prem. So it's actually quite a sensible claim. Real would suit him better. Think back to top Prem players, most either combined skill with speed, physicality or both.

E.g. Rooney, Ronaldo, Hazard, Aguero, Hartland etc.

We do see occasional flashes of skill from Enzo, but it's neither combined with speed nor strength.

Edited by bertles86
  • Like 1