Mauricio Pochettino leaves Chelsea by mutual consent

Proud-Blue

3 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

He certainly hasn’t done much at Bayern. In a one team league he is 15 points off the title with a  small risk of finishing third. Not pretty. 

Tuchel is a decent manager, but he ain’t elite. He ain’t the type to build a young squad over time and he doesn’t play very attractive football. I’d rather keep Pochettino to be perfectly honest with you (for the situation we are in). 

I've come to agree with this. Tuchel was good for us at a time we needed somebody to maximise the squad we had. I don't think he's the man for a rebuilding job and some of his decision making regarding youth players was frustrating. Losing out on somebody like Livramento for instance happened on his watch. 

Better tactician than Poch for sure. 

10 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Oh, ok. Apologies if I misunderstood you. 

I always care more about winning than playing pretty football. But again, being in the stand would go a long way to cancel out the boring football out on the pitch vs. having to endure it on the telly. 

Was exactly my point mate. 

I think anyone that goes or has gone regularly at some point sees it this way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bison said:

I've come to agree with this. Tuchel was good for us at a time we needed somebody to maximise the squad we had. I don't think he's the man for a rebuilding job and some of his decision making regarding youth players was frustrating. Losing out on somebody like Livramento for instance happened on his watch. 

IMO a manager like Tuchel, Conte or Mourinho would be disastrous at this point in time. What we need know is someone who isn't scared of giving the youngsters a fair shot and who doesn't cripple them with structures, formations, boundaries and a proper scolding as soon as they step outside said boundaries. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Thiago97 said:

24-25 average age is still a young squad. Whilst I did say young, you are focusing purely on age.

The likes of Palmer, Lavia, Mudryk, Jackson to name a few, they might not be young as in they are still in their teens, but they are young in terms of first team experience. They barely have 100 first team games each to their name.

The lack of playing experience offers more scope for progress than their age in isolation.

Those you mention with Lavia when he was at Southampton will have had a full PL season under there belts, therefore it will be interesting to see their trend lines next season. Or should we will wait another couple of seasons as they are work in progress?

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Those you mention with Lavia when he was at Southampton will have had a full PL season under there belts, therefore it will be interesting to see their trend lines next season. Or should we will wait another couple of seasons as they are work in progress?

A win tomorrow will see us overtake Liverpool and be the team with third most points since Boxing day.  Contrary to what most are saying about the improvement being down to Enzo not playing, that stat shows the improvement has been over a sustained period of five months.

Furthermore. Over the period for Jan 23 to Boxing day 23, we've gone from a team with a points tally of a relegation fighting team, to that position of being the 4th or 3rd best in the league. Is that not a remarkable rise for a young, unproven  squad with a huge injury list?  From where we were, I think we've  been the most improved team in the league this season.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bison said:

Not sure that is true, or fair.

Livramento left in the summer of 2021 when his contract was over (he had been offered new deals). Tuchel joined in January 2021, by which time it was pretty clear already that he wasn't signing a new contract. 

Edit - Tuchel took over at a point in time when Tino had less than 6 months to run on his deal. His mind had been made up already

Edited by paulw66

4 hours ago, east lower said:

Believe me, I have very little - if any confidence in the coaches ability and like you I’d say that there has been a ‘forming’ stage/process taking place. 

People like me (and maybe you?) believe this is taking place through natural progression I.e. the more you work with someone the better you know their strengths, weaknesses, habits and others think it’s the coaches ability. However simple things like getting your best defensive header of the ball to attack any corner or even mark their main threat can’t be in the modern smart coach handbook. That must sit on the bedside table of our man.

This is so self-evidently true that I am astonished that Pochettino is being talked up. This is a very good group of players, albeit with far too many of them introduced in one go, and they have found a way to overcome (on an inconsistent basis) the inadequacies of the coaching regime. What Pochettino can be considered to have done effectively is to  have provided a "safe" space for the squad members; what he has not done is to coach any kind of rational series of tactical systems and that is still evidenced in the performances against Man U, Sheff U and Forest. That we found a way to win two of those games was entirely down to individual brilliance by excellent players like Palmer, James and Caicido, flashes of brilliance from the much maligned Jackson and Sterling and a couple of excellent contributions from the otherwise awful Mudryk. None of those goals scored were conceived from a tactical rationale and the goals conceded were crass in some cases.

It looks like Pochettino will be here next season, so we will have the opportunity to see how it all develops, but I anticipate further improvement, continued inconsistency and more exasperation that the group will underachieve  on its potential. A better coach would be capable of top 3, but hey ho.

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, RDCW said:

This is so self-evidently true that I am astonished that Pochettino is being talked up. This is a very good group of players, albeit with far too many of them introduced in one go, and they have found a way to overcome (on an inconsistent basis) the inadequacies of the coaching regime. What Pochettino can be considered to have done effectively is to  have provided a "safe" space for the squad members; what he has not done is to coach any kind of rational series of tactical systems and that is still evidenced in the performances against Man U, Sheff U and Forest. That we found a way to win two of those games was entirely down to individual brilliance by excellent players like Palmer, James and Caicido, flashes of brilliance from the much maligned Jackson and Sterling and a couple of excellent contributions from the otherwise awful Mudryk. None of those goals scored were conceived from a tactical rationale and the goals conceded were crass in some cases.

It looks like Pochettino will be here next season, so we will have the opportunity to see how it all develops, but I anticipate further improvement, continued inconsistency and more exasperation that the group will underachieve  on its potential. A better coach would be capable of top 3, but hey ho.

I respect your opinion on this, but I’m really surprised that you think this is a top 3 squad with a better coach. 
I have no doubts over the quality in the squad, but I just can’t see any situation where they are a top3 squad ( of what we have had available) right now.  Too inexperienced, too inconsistent, too many players thrown together to form any type of team mentality. These are the things that grind out results , they turn draws into wins and losses into draws. 
I think @Sciatika called it well at the start of the season when he said we would start slow and progress through the season. It’s turned out as he predicted. 
I’m still doubtful Poch will be here next season, but 3 quality additions and it’s all on him then. 10-15 games in needs to return 18- 28 pts , otherwise he is underachieving and we need to consider alternative options. 

I have a feeling Pep might go in the summer if City win the league. He's a bit more astute than to announce it 6 months early and roll out the circus floats for the "leaving tour". It would leave next season clear for Arsenal, unless of course Arteta jumps ship and takes Pep's seat haha.

5 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

I respect your opinion on this, but I’m really surprised that you think this is a top 3 squad with a better coach. 
I have no doubts over the quality in the squad, but I just can’t see any situation where they are a top3 squad ( of what we have had available) right now.  Too inexperienced, too inconsistent, too many players thrown together to form any type of team mentality. These are the things that grind out results , they turn draws into wins and losses into draws. 
I think @Sciatika called it well at the start of the season when he said we would start slow and progress through the season. It’s turned out as he predicted. 
I’m still doubtful Poch will be here next season, but 3 quality additions and it’s all on him then. 10-15 games in needs to return 18- 28 pts , otherwise he is underachieving and we need to consider alternative options. 

I don't really rate any of the other teams in the Premier League at the moment, apart from City. Arsenal are better than us, but don't have better players, just a better coach in my view. Liverpool are not as good as they were, Villa are OK but not brilliant and won't have the element of surprise next year. Spurs are Spurs and they have a pretty facile coach. United are years away from competence and probably need a rebuild. We may even get top 3 next season despite Pochettino, but I don't think we can win it with him. As I said elsewhere we either need to extend Pochettino by that optional year, or sack him at the end of the season, because we can't go into next season with a "dead man walking". I have a feeling we will use the Broja, Ziyech and (with luck) Lukaku funds to buy a centre half and a new number 9, sadly will sell Chalobah and Gallagher (the latter over wage negotiations) to have enough funds and that will be that. We will struggle without Conor; he offers so much to the team psychologically as well as physically, but I'm not sure he is sufficiently valued by the selectors, although he clearly is by Pochettino.

• Like 1

An interesting fact I wasn’t aware of. Apparently, since the turn of the year, only three teams has performed better than us. Arsenal, Man C and Liverpool. 

I can’t see how any person wants to get rid of Poch for footballing reasons. Sure, we are quite som distance away from the top three. But still. With a better injury record who knows where we would have ended up? Top five would definitely not have been an outrageous prediction. 

2024:

Arsenal                17      15      1        1        +44        46

Man C                   17      14      3        0        +34        45

Liverpool             18      11      4       3         +20        37

Chelsea                16        8       5       3           +9          29

5. Newcastle (28)

6. Villa (26)

7. Palace (25)

8. Tottenham (24)

9. Man U (23)

10. Bournemouth (23)

We have a pro-data full season of 69pts. Still some way to go before we are a solid 75pts team. But we’ve made great progress this year, no doubt about that. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

An interesting fact I wasn’t aware of. Apparently, since the turn of the year, only three teams has performed better than us. Arsenal, Man C and Liverpool. 

I can’t see how any person wants to get rid of Poch for footballing reasons. Sure, we are quite som distance away from the top three. But still. With a better injury record who knows where we would have ended up? Top five would definitely not have been an outrageous prediction. 

2024:

Arsenal                17      15      1        1        +44        46

Man C                   17      14      3        0        +34        45

Liverpool             18      11      4       3         +20        37

Chelsea                16        8       5       3           +9          29

5. Newcastle (28)

6. Villa (26)

7. Palace (25)

8. Tottenham (24)

9. Man U (23)

10. Bournemouth (23)

We have a pro-data full season of 69pts. Still some way to go before we are a solid 75pts team. But we’ve made great progress this year, no doubt about that. 

Just to put a bit of context. Of the current top 4 we have played 2024 the team have won 2/12 pts. 

Onward and upwards 

Edited by ROTG
Opps another nail in Poch’s heart

17 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Or it's just taken time for a new set of players to gel and gain understanding, confidence, and grow as both players and people given the age demographic a lot of them reside within.

And

Posted (edited)
On 14/05/2024 at 18:41, ROTG said:

Just to put a bit of context. Of the current top 4 we have played 2024 the team have won 2/12 pts. 

Onward and upwards 

On a different note, your profile picture there... I stumbled onto this absolute gem a few months back.  Enjoy!

Terry Thomas & Liberace

(apologies all, i did try the embed link but no luck)

Edited by Bert19
  • Haha 2

Some of the comments are just plain silly  bias against Poch.😟

Any of the great football we play well ( imho, when we play well now its by far the best football since Ancolotti's first season) it's down to the brilliance of individuals but when the team plays poorly or there are individual mistakes, it's all down to Poch's shambolic coaching.

He's not being judged after his two year contract has ended. Not being judged on one season. Not being judged on half a season. Not evevn judged on a run of games or even one game. No, to still have a go his haters are now reduced to singling out moments of games  where we have a bad spell of play as an example of how shit a coach he is .👎👎👎

3 hours ago, Bison said:

There might be a market for Ben Chilwell after all. 👀

Hopefully Cucurella so the club can get some money back and he will keep at there current level. 

14 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Hopefully Cucurella so the club can get some money back and he will keep at there current level. 

Have you not been watching Chelsea recently?

• Like 1