Mauricio Pochettino leaves Chelsea by mutual consent

Proud-Blue

13 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

Shirley we are not going to sell Gallagher whilst he is in the Euros?! Actually, I would not be surprised if they did

Who's Shirley? 😉

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Strange thing is that Pochettino’s account of his dinner with Boehly last Friday night seemed to suggest that everything was fine and that he wasn’t expecting to be sacked. So all of this has unfolded since Monday?

And that's on top of TB very recently praising the style of football we're playing.

TB seemed happy. Poch wanted to stay. Good results. Entertaining football. Euro qualification. I cannot think of any other English club parting with thier manager when things are so clearly on the up.

All very strange!

Edited by boratsbrother
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

Oliver Holt absolutely incandescent in the Mail , he's pulled himself up to his full four feet six height and stamped his feet in anger .

The know nothing tosspot.

You’d have the hump too, if your main source of information has just lost his job.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

Oliver Holt absolutely incandescent in the Mail , he's pulled himself up to his full four feet six height and stamped his feet in anger .

The know nothing tosspot.

Strange that absolutely no one appeared to have seen this coming....us so-called ant Poch'ers had pretty much softened and accepted he would be here next season and hoped for a further improvement without expecting Chelsea to peak.

One of the strangest, If not THE strangest events I have seen at Chelsea and the game in general, beating out easily the Clough affair at Leeds.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

However, I would take Steve Holland as No.2. I know some have said JT - but I would prefer Holland

Yes I've mentioned him several times in the past.  The real deal.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

However, I would take Steve Holland as No.2. I know some have said JT - but I would prefer Holland

A manager plus Holland wouldn't be bad. Unfortunately the board will be looking for a young head coach that will do as he's told (and consequently sacked before the end of the season when he fails).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Unfortunately the board will be looking for a young head coach that will do as he's told (and consequently sacked before the end of the season when he fails).

Maybe a new manager every season is one of the innovative ideas Clearlake promised. 

16 minutes ago, chara said:

One of the strangest, If not THE strangest events I have seen at Chelsea and the game in general, beating out easily the Clough affair at Leeds.

I dont think anything can top the train wreck that was  Clough at Leeds. A disaster literally from the first minute of his first training session with the players.

For those that haven't seen it, the Damned United movie is an entertaining watch. Michael Sheen is quite brilliant as Clough.

Well my view, for what it's worth, is that this outcome is one of the 2 rational options and the only satisfactory one : as  I have said before, either Poch had to be sacked, or given a year's extension, because to have retained him next season with a year left on his contract would have been insane. Of those two options, and given the prevalent estimation that he is not the manager to have us competing for the title, the parting of the ways is the most intelligent course.

Whilst our results have improved there is no real sense that the reason for this is the positive intervention of the manager. We were about as good in the last game against Bournemouth as we were against Villa at home and West Ham away, both of which we lost; the Sheffield United draw was in the middle of this presumed period of continuous improvement, which gives, I think, some context to what the media and some fans are identifying as a consistent progression. What I believe we have seen is a growing familiarity between the players and midfield and defensive change stumbled upon, rather than intelligently engineered, hence the continued inconsistency.

This is by no means to suggest that the wider football board is in any sense competent. My take is that Winstanley and Stewart have been given a ridiculous remit to revamp the entire squad in an unrealistic time frame and they have consequently been forced to overspend. 

The blame lies principally with the Americans, but Pochettino was never the answer, although I was surprised by how tactically unsophisticated he turned out to be.

The next appointment is shit or bust for this lot.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

I dont think anything can top the train wreck that was  Clough at Leeds. A disaster literally from the first minute of his first training session with the players.

For those that haven't seen it, the Damned United movie is an entertaining watch. Michael Sheen is quite brilliant as Clough.

As you so rightly say,,train wreck but one that could be seen coming but the Poch goodbye came out of nowhere...no real hints,,,basically idle speculation, preamble to The Media off season muck fest.

No readable moments from The Poch or Todd and CO...no Kiss of Death vote of confisence and no Media absolutes...

And Please...... The Football Gods... you've had yer larf...not Zebedee by Tommy Harmer's "touch". (For the real OG's and true Chelsea historians!)

1 hour ago, JaneB said:

What's the difference between by mutual consent and getting sacked?

The size of the payoff won't be as big.  Also, both sides can spin the narrative in their favour during negotiations.
CFC can claim that Poch wasn't really "with the programme" and that they're looking for a coach who can do x, y and z. 
Poch can claim (if CG and/or TC are sold) that he strongly disagreed with the club's transfer policy.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Excellent post @RDCW....I posted a few days ago that I wondered who had been coaching the side as it seemed to be a different "feel" to everything....Tongue In Cheek to a certain extent but maybe I was a bit closer to the truth than I realised ?

• Thanks 1