Mauricio Pochettino leaves Chelsea by mutual consent

Proud-Blue

52 minutes ago, RDCW said:

Shirley you can't be serious ! 😅

Until "Along came Jones.."...probably looking for a Temple....or is that too mockaholic...and yes I am cracking up!

According to the rumours, Eghbali is the problematic owner at the club, not TB. He's become a prominant figure at the training ground and Poch didn't like him being there.  

When he had the time Roman loved to be at the training ground, but from what I heard it was just because he loved watching and being around the players. I doubt Poch would have had a problem with Eghbali being there if that's all he was doing, but if he was interfearing? then I can fully understand it causing big problems.

2 hours ago, martin1905 said:

All these twitter people that now suddenly know what type of manager we want, who we want and who we don't want, how come none of them knew this was happening even 12 hours ago?

Nearly all of them have been banging the Pochettino drum all season, even at his worst, most were claiming his job was safe?

How come I was told after the Liverpool game that whatever happened for the rest of the season he was gone and although I doubt anyone, still, believes me it happened?

Not one of these people that now all claim to know the inner workings of our club predicted this. Not one. Most were waxing lyrical about how good a job he was doing and how plans were being made for next season.

They make shit up and each of them regurgitate it.

Yes I think this decision was made some time ago during those torrid torrid performances when quite frankly there looked little other option. I think Poch also made his mind up then and we’ve been treading water ever since. I thought the end of season burst might change opinions ( it kind off changed mine ) but the damage had been done. That’s my opinion anyway because we played pretty well of late and to snatch 6th place was a really good effort from the players and Poch. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Why don’t we just cut out the middleman and appoint whoever Brighton are planning to replace De Zerbi with? 

That's exactly what they're trying to do apparently with McKenna who was wanted by Brighton. 

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

Its going to be De Zerbi 

Here’s my rough timeline.  De Zerbi was having a good season , playing sexy football and getting results with an average team. Poch was stinking out the joint and losing to all and sundry. A ‘conversation ‘ was had with De Zerbi about how if he left Brighton at the end of the season an opening at Chelsea might miraculously appear. At that precise moment Brighton started losing , and losing badly . DZ wasn’t the  messiah he was just a very average coach.  Then with immaculate timing Poch starts cobbling performances together then goes on a six run winning streak to clinch 6th place and where the fck are Brighton? But DZ is now sitting there saying “can I have my new job now please?”. 🤦🏻

Like much of this season, you couldn’t make it up. 

Edited by NoblyBobly
  • Haha 1

I can't say I'm entirely surprised that Pochettino is gone. His brilliance and all his flaws were on open display all season for those who wanted to see  .

I thought with a  skilled No 9 we might have scraped a top four spot next season but would still not have won a trophy under Pochettino . Because winning in crucial matches is about exploiting your opponent's weaknesses, and Pochettino has shown he's incapable of that, whether at Spurs, PSG or Chelsea.

Even when you're building a project, if an opportunity presents itself for a trophy or a  surprise win, you must take it when both hands. Pochettino  froze, and to me that was one of his biggest flaws .

How good a sacking  turns out ultimately depends on the replacement. There's always a better manager out there. Whether you find him and bring him over is another natter. 

2 hours ago, Liquidator said:

Jose or Tuchel for me please.......

If we're working on the assumption that the regime want a yes man....... cant see it myself

Even when we were playing poorly and languishing in the lower half of the table we were told to trust the process and this was expected of a group of inexperienced players thrown together in their first season and finding their way. We were told it was teething problems when we would suffer a setback after a good performance. But even so, the underlying stats showed we were on the right path.

We were told consistency is the hardest thing to achieve with young players but that Pochettino would eventually get the team to gel and the performances and results would follow. We were told to be patient and the players’ qualities would come through and that Pochettino is the best man for the job as he has a proven track record of bringing through young players. 

And then the improvement came in the second half of the season. And it looked like the process was paying off and Pochettino was the right man for the job after all. And things could only get better next season with a couple of new signings and we keep those players who had really stood out and showed their true worth. And that Pochettino was best placed to take us forward as he’d turned things around and the players trusted him. The season wasn’t a failure after all.

And now we’ve sacked the manager after a “performance review” one day after the season ended and I really don’t know what the hell the Board are thinking and why they’ve seemingly just torn up their own long term strategy for the club and who or what they have in mind for the club who will do a better job.

Maybe we’re on the up and whoever takes over will do a great job anyway. Maybe it will make sense in a year’s time.  But right now it just looks like a big gamble and a disruption we don’t need.

I’m not sure fans will be so forgiving or patient if come Xmas next season we’re not playing fluent, consistent football and in the top four. That’s hell of a pressure on any new manager and things could get very nasty indeed.

• Like 1

As someone who was not that bothered whether Poch Stayed or not(I would have given him until Xmas next season)I find myself quite excited about the possible return of Tuchel.

I think he knows the game inside out.I also think he should have been given the chance to get rid of the  the likes of ziyech and the rest of the over paid duds and start afresh.

He showed passion for the club and played a brand of decent football.

I don't think our American owners think remotely what I think and why would they.

Whoever they appoint as the new manager it will speak volumes about their thinking.

5 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

According to the rumours, Eghbali is the problematic owner at the club, not TB. He's become a prominant figure at the training ground and Poch didn't like him being there.  

When he had the time Roman loved to be at the training ground, but from what I heard it was just because he loved watching and being around the players. I doubt Poch would have had a problem with Eghbali being there if that's all he was doing, but if he was interfearing? then I can fully understand it causing big problems.

If he tries that with Tommy he’ll be scrambled Eggy in no time. 🍳 💣🧨👀

6 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

I can't remember any positive thing being said about RA visiting the training ground in his days. He was accused of picking the team, but only when we lost or did poorly. It's the same old nonsense rehashed again. 

The bottom line is, Egbali didn't like what he saw in Poch and his methods (we're told) whereas other board members were prepared to give him more time. The same split is mirrored amongst fans, it has to be said. 

To be honest I would rather Egbali formed his opinion from observing training and watching matches, as did RA, rather than through a chain of middlemen.  I suspect Egbali would have consulted his experts. How good a decision he and co have made will depend on who replaces Pochettino. That's just the way it is, and will always be.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, kev61 said:

Whoever they appoint as the new manager it will speak volumes about their thinking.

They will appoint a company man who is happy for the gruesome twosome to buy and sell players without any input from the Coach. 

Poch obviously decided he needed input to the squad to evolve next season’, however this was seen a challenge to the boards model so they parted company.  

if I were a betting man, I would take a punt poch will be at ManUre “if he was not already tapped up” within a fortnight and them finishing in the top 4 next season

I fear there will be some kind of player rebellion on this especially if the gruesome twosome go for another nobody coach, with potentially another TT departure and being replaced by GP on the cards 

Edited by ROTG

7 hours ago, Original 21 said:

Why don’t we just cut out the middleman and appoint whoever Brighton are planning to replace De Zerbi with? 

I think that's where the Kieran Mckenna rumours are coming from 

Slept on it and still just a bit confused by it all. Ultimately, I won’t miss Poch and I’m not hugely gutted he’s gone, but my bigger concern about it all is around who they’re going to replace him with. I’m not at all convinced they’re going to get someone ‘better’ in and we’ll essentially be starting over again with no real improvement.

• Agree 1

I'm not advocating for DeZerbi but one average season at Brighton where they sold their best players and the midfield they'd built their foundations on doesn't really tell the full story , he did amazing things in Italy with a tiny club getting them to eighth in Serie A and playing "good" football on the way and he was top of the league with Shaktar before Chelsea sent the tanks into the Ukraine so he's obviously got talent , maybe he would be the one to get the best out of Mudryk as he was his coach previously ? 

Despite the relatively strong finish lets not all pretend that Poch was the answer , the man who didn't want to sign Palmer and refused to play anyone in with Caicedo midfield except Enzo until change was forced upon him .

• Like 1