Mauricio Pochettino leaves Chelsea by mutual consent

Proud-Blue

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'm not advocating for DeZerbi but one average season at Brighton where they sold their best players and the midfield they'd built their foundations on doesn't really tell the full story , he did amazing things in Italy with a tiny club getting them to eighth in Serie A and playing "good" football on the way and he was top of the league with Shaktar before Chelsea sent the tanks into the Ukraine so he's obviously got talent , maybe he would be the one to get the best out of Mudryk as he was his coach previously ? 

Despite the relatively strong finish lets not all pretend that Poch was the answer , the man who didn't want to sign Palmer and refused to play anyone in with Caicedo midfield except Enzo until change was forced upon him .

His  initial rejection of Chalobah was also a mistake

Edited by exiledblue
  • Agree 1

The circus continues. 

There is no manager out there who we realistically can sign, that will have a better chance at finishing top four than Poch in his second season. 

Given that, this decision is not only ridiculous, it’s almost like they are actively trying to sabotage our progress. 

I have lost confidence in this ownership team long ago. It won’t get any better, I’ve come to terms with that. 

• Like 2

I'm not advocating for DeZerbi but one average season at Brighton where they sold their best players and the midfield they'd built their foundations on doesn't really tell the full story , he did amazing things in Italy with a tiny club getting them to eighth in Serie A and playing "good" football on the way and he was top of the league with Shaktar before Chelsea sent the tanks into the Ukraine so he's obviously got talent , maybe he would be the one to get the best out of Mudryk as he was his coach previously ? 

Despite the relatively strong finish lets not all pretend that Poch was the answer , the man who didn't want to sign Palmer and refused to play anyone in with Caicedo midfield except Enzo until change was forced upon him .

Your point about Poch is right, and for me him going isn’t the end of the world, my bigger fear is who they’re replacing him with, I don’t trust Stewart and Winstanley to make the right decisions.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, ROTG said:

They will appoint a company man who is happy for the gruesome twosome to buy and sell players without any input from the Coach. 

if I were a betting man, I would take a punt poch will be at ManUre “if he was not already tapped up” within a fortnight and them finishing in the top 4 next season

If I were a betting man there is more chance of me having a threesome with Fiona Bruce and Sophie Raworth....you live in hope!.

Edited by kev61
  • Haha 2

Just now, My Blood Is Blue said:

Your point about Poch is right, and for me him going isn’t the end of the world, my bigger fear is who they’re replacing him with, I don’t trust Stewart and Winstanley to make the right decisions.

I know this is going against the tide of opinion somewhat but , I have always said the players were better than Pochettino was allowing them to be with his unstructured chaotic football , it works sometimes but I think players , particularly younger ones need a framework in which to operate , with this in mind , have Stewart and Winstanley really done a terrible job ? They've slashed the wages bill , got rid of the absolute wastemen that were clogging the previous side up and signed some really good players with an eye on future development into a decent side for years to come . I think what queers the pitch for them is spending lots on prospects that won't get a look in here for years if ever , which looks to be wasteful from the outside but we simply do not know the remit they're operating under. If your job was to sign a load of under twenty year olds from Brazil and you did so and were then castigated for it I think you'd feel hard done by . We are in my opinion , a replacement for Silva , a half way decent CF and top grade keeper away from being a really excellent side providing we can keep the players fit and a lot of that is down to their efforts .

Everyone said Potter was the "coming man" nobody here was against his appointment so they cannot get the clog for that one , Pochettino had a reputation , writ large by his media mates as "one to get the best out of kids" because he did well with players he had at Southampton ( I'm not even sure that he was the one who signed them to be honest) before they all left to join Liverpool where everyone is the "greatest player the world has ever seen" before kicking a ball . So we cannot really blame them for giving him a crack when he had something to prove after the shit show in Paris.

As you say , the next step is the big one , get it wrong and the spotlight may well be on them .

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Guest Alex
2 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

The circus continues. 

There is no manager out there who we realistically can sign, that will have a better chance at finishing top four than Poch in his second season. 

Given that, this decision is not only ridiculous, it’s almost like they are actively trying to sabotage our progress. 

I have lost confidence in this ownership team long ago. It won’t get any better, I’ve come to terms with that. 

Let's not forget Pochettino's role and desires in this...He'd be a likely candidate for many of the vacant managerial posts at the moment and probably thought they sounded more appealing than sticking temporarily with a project where he's received not a lot of backing and considerable criticism. He probably felt that it was best to quit while he's ahead.

It all seems so obvious this would happen now looking at his recent post-match interviews. If you're committed to a role, you don't usually go public in the way he did voicing all the uncertainty around his position. I saw it at the time as a sort of 'back me or sack me ultimatum'. He didn't want to go into the next season with just a year's contract, while ClearLake weren't prepared to commit to him longer term and so we are where we are.

Who I'd prefer now feels like looking at a restaurant menu where nothing's very appealing, but I need to eat and have to choose something. The Ipswich or Girona managers? 

8 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I know this is going against the tide of opinion somewhat but , I have always said the players were better than Pochettino was allowing them to be with his unstructured chaotic football , it works sometimes but I think players , particularly younger ones need a framework in which to operate , with this in mind , have Stewart and Winstanley really done a terrible job ? They've slashed the wages bill , got rid of the absolute wastemen that were clogging the previous side up and signed some really good players with an eye on future development into a decent side for years to come . I think what queers the pitch for them is spending lots on prospects that won't get a look in here for years if ever , which looks to be wasteful from the outside but we simply do not know the remit they're operating under. If your job was to sign a load of under twenty year olds from Brazil and you did so and were then castigated for it I think you'd feel hard done by . We are in my opinion , a replacement for Silva , a half way decent CF and top grade keeper away from being a really excellent side providing we can keep the players fit and a lot of that is down to their efforts .

Everyone said Potter was the "coming man" nobody here was against his appointment so they cannot get the clog for that one , Pochettino had a reputation , writ large by his media mates as "one to get the best out of kids" because he did well with players he had at Southampton ( I'm not even sure that he was the one who signed them to be honest) before they all left to join Liverpool where everyone is the "greatest player the world has ever seen" before kicking a ball . So we cannot really blame them for giving him a crack when he had something to prove after the shit show in Paris.

As you say , the next step is the big one , get it wrong and the spotlight may well be on them .

Yeah, all fair points and don’t disagree with them as such. I’m going to wait and see what happens this summer though, because if they go in to sell Chalobah and Gallagher to cover the costs for those signings, then I’d definitely think we’re in our rights to question the job they’ve done. 

Just now, My Blood Is Blue said:

Yeah, all fair points and don’t disagree with them as such. I’m going to wait and see what happens this summer though, because if they go in to sell Chalobah and Gallagher to cover the costs for those signings, then I’d definitely think we’re in our rights to question the job they’ve done. 

Again to be Devil's advocate here , If Gallagher won't sign and they've given him parity with the other players , I think they'd be well within their rights to sell him , we can all see what a good job he does for us and what he's worth to the side but it comes down to how much he wants and how much they want to give him , neither of which we know . 

I don't think any of us want to see those two go , I certainly don't but it's business to some degree , we move on and hopefully improve with whatever  replacements we get , we're too close to it and rightly so , we are invested in the club and buy into the "narrative of local lad makes good" but these guys are paid to make tough choices and be clinical with them.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

Let's not forget Pochettino's role and desires in this...He'd be a likely candidate for many of the vacant managerial posts at the moment and probably thought they sounded more appealing than sticking temporarily with a project where he's received not a lot of backing and considerable criticism. He probably felt that it was best to quit while he's ahead.

It all seems so obvious this would happen now looking at his recent post-match interviews. If you're committed to a role, you don't usually go public in the way he did voicing all the uncertainty around his position. I saw it at the time as a sort of 'back me or sack me ultimatum'. He didn't want to go into the next season with just a year's contract, while ClearLake weren't prepared to commit to him longer term and so we are where we are.

Who I'd prefer now feels like looking at a restaurant menu where nothing's very appealing, but I need to eat and have to choose something. The Ipswich or Girona managers? 

It's why I said it will be interesting to see who we appoint as the next manager.

Poch had plenty of time to show his worth.Too many basic coaching mistakes for me even with our injury list...and yes I don't have my coaching badges but I do have a blue peter one😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think there is an element of this at play. His stock has not been harmed by this season here, so it gave him a platform to be more forthright with what was going on. I think he probably sees a summer of managerial roundabouts at play, and knew it opened up more long term options for him. 

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Again to be Devil's advocate here , If Gallagher won't sign and they've given him parity with the other players , I think they'd be well within their rights to sell him , we can all see what a good job he does for us and what he's worth to the side but it comes down to how much he wants and how much they want to give him , neither of which we know . 

I don't think any of us want to see those two go , I certainly don't but it's business to some degree , we move on and hopefully improve with whatever  replacements we get , we're too close to it and rightly so , we are invested in the club and buy into the "narrative of local lad makes good" but these guys are paid to make tough choices and be clinical with them.

Yeah, lets sell them and spend double trying to replace them with more data driven players from europe or south america 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, kev61 said:

If I were a betting man there is more chance of me having a threesome with Fiona Bruce and Sophie Raworth....you live in hope!.

Far too posh for you, young man. You may safely abandon hope. On Poch to Man Utd, you are right, they wouldn't have him!

9 hours ago, Original 21 said:

Maybe a new manager every season is one of the innovative ideas Clearlake promised. 

You know something? For all the looking back through rose tinted glasses that is happening just now, Abramovich probably would have overseen the exact same churn of managers over the last couple of years given the results. Probably the one thing that would have been different is the player acquisition policy. Marina would have been able to do far better deals I believe although the financial writing on the wall was already beginning to build up to haunt us at the end of the Russian's reign.

The problem we now have is that there are a number of huge teams worldwide looking for a manager and they can't agree on any kind of consensus over the identity of the "next big thing", and we are way down the pecking order of being able to sign them up.

Word on the street is that Conor and Trevor are already effectively gone, with only their respective destinantions yet to decide. That leaves the squad with very little "Chelsea" to anchor it to the supporters. I would have preferred to see Reece James leave as he will continue to be injury prone and of little use to us moving forward.

Who was expecting a boring close season with the Euros truncating pre-season and little to talk about until August?

30 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

If the players are better than we showed up as a club in that first half of the season, and the managers contribution less so, then top5 bare minimum for the new guy then ? 
Realistically, any new manager signed here will have achieved something positive in his most recent job. Generally speaking, to achieve something positive will have some sort of solid base/structure that they have implemented.

So it really doesn’t matter who we employ. The coward has gone now, everything has to be better. The results, the organisation, the players coaching on an individual basis/improvement perspective, the league finishing position. The only thing that can maybe sacrificed to achieve all this, is possibly the entertainment . These are the metrics the Poch out brigade have created over many months now, so these are also the metrics the new manager must be judged on?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, exiledblue said:

His  initial rejection of Chalobah was also a mistake

Initial rejection? Chalobah had been out injured for large parts of the season! Poch deserves credit for playing him ahead of expensive recruits. 

Poch showed up the management for the clowns they are by playing Gallagher and Chalobah. It won’t matter they are better than the latest shiny toy, they’ll be sold nonetheless. But massive credit to Poch for sticking two fingers at them. 

Edited by Sleeping Dave
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

You know something? For all the looking back through rose tinted glasses that is happening just now, Abramovich probably would have overseen the exact same churn of managers over the last couple of years given the results. Probably the one thing that would have been different is the player acquisition policy. Marina would have been able to do far better deals I believe although the financial writing on the wall was already beginning to build up to haunt us at the end of the Russian's reign.

The problem we now have is that there are a number of huge teams worldwide looking for a manager and they can't agree on any kind of consensus over the identity of the "next big thing", and we are way down the pecking order of being able to sign them up.

Word on the street is that Conor and Trevor are already effectively gone, with only their respective destinantions yet to decide. That leaves the squad with very little "Chelsea" to anchor it to the supporters. I would have preferred to see Reece James leave as he will continue to be injury prone and of little use to us moving forward.

Who was expecting a boring close season with the Euros truncating pre-season and little to talk about until August?

Roman would never have hired Potter and possibly wouldn't have hired Poch either, but he definitely would have fired each of them based on performance and probably earlier in each case as well.

I don't want Chalobah or Gallagher to go, but I'd be less upset about Chalobah going. Chalobah is a decent player and is probably a good squad player for us, but no more than that. Gallagher is a difference-maker for us, I just don't think you let players like him go (unless they force your hand), because it's very difficult to find players like that, someone who works as hard as he does, gives his absolute all in every match, chips in with goals, makes those around him better through his hard work and loves the club. If we lose him, it's a huge loss IMO.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Thiago97 said:

If the players are better than we showed up as a club in that first half of the season, and the managers contribution less so, then top5 bare minimum for the new guy then ? 
Realistically, any new manager signed here will have achieved something positive in his most recent job. Generally speaking, to achieve something positive will have some sort of solid base/structure that they have implemented.

So it really doesn’t matter who we employ. The coward has gone now, everything has to be better. The results, the organisation, the players coaching on an individual basis/improvement perspective, the league finishing position. The only thing that can maybe sacrificed to achieve all this, is possibly the entertainment . These are the metrics the Poch out brigade have created over many months now, so these are also the metrics the new manager must be judged on?

The Poch out brigade ?

So , that's everyone except you and Borat's brother is it? 

I really don't care whether you agree with my assessment that he's a coward of a coach as his actions throughout his entire coaching career demonstrate it beyond doubt , i'm just surprised someone as on the ball as you can't see it. 

I said earlier in the season that we could replace him with anyone and we'd see improvements and I stand by it . He's a piss poor coach . 

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

The Poch out brigade ?

I really don't care whether you agree with my assessment that he's a coward of a coach as his actions throughout his entire coaching career demonstrate it beyond doubt , i'm just surprised someone as on the ball as you can't see it. 

I said earlier in the season that we could replace him with anyone and we'd see improvements and I stand by it . He's a piss poor coach . 

I really think this comment will look incredibly silly in about 11 months time. 

I have had a look around, and unfortunately, Avram Grant is busy, AVB has retired in favour of doing the Dakar rally, and Jose Mourinho is off to Saudi Arabia. I always had mixed feelings about Pochettino, but I wondered whether the alternatives available might be even worse. I suppose I am about to find out.

16 minutes ago, RDCW said:

Far too posh for you, young man. You may safely abandon hope. 

How dare you!.I'll have you know I've had afternoon tea at the Ritz!

• Haha 2

The Poch out brigade ?

No it’s not at all. It comes with the territory of being so vocal on Poch. A handful of posters have slated him week in week out, even when something good has happened, it’s often turned back on the clown manager having little impact.

You guys created your position on this matter. Remember, it wasn’t personal by all accounts, it’s was purely down to lack of coaching and management skills. Nothing else. 

So it’s really simple from here. Everything has to be better from now.Maybe your confidence is waining that this will be the case now he has actually gone. I  don’t know. 

Just now, Thiago97 said:

No it’s not at all. It comes with the territory of being so vocal on Poch. A handful of posters have slated him week in week out, even when something good has happened, it’s often turned back on the clown manager having little impact.

You guys created your position on this matter. Remember, it wasn’t personal by all accounts, it’s was purely down to lack of coaching and management skills. Nothing else. 

So it’s really simple from here. Everything has to be better from now.Maybe your confidence is waining that this will be the case now he has actually gone. I  don’t know. 

No 

I am one hundred percent confident that things will improve 

Poch cannot coach 

• Disagree 1

18 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Initial rejection? Chalobah had been out injured for large parts of the season! Poch deserves credit for playing him ahead of expensive recruits. 

Poch showed up the management for the clowns they are by playing Gallagher and Chalobah. It won’t matter they are better than the latest shiny toy, they’ll be sold nonetheless. But massive credit to Poch for sticking two fingers at them. 

IMO he only played Gallagher because Enzo was out. And how do we know whether Poch “stuck two fingers at them”?

• Agree 1