Mauricio Pochettino leaves Chelsea by mutual consent

Proud-Blue

14 hours ago, martin1905 said:

Did get told months ago this was happening, regardless of how the season ended, my man is as reliable as ever.

Didn't think they would have the bollox to do it after the last few games but so glad they did. We've had a glimpse of just how good we can be and with a proper manager we will do far better next season.

14 hours ago, martin1905 said:

Whoever it is has already agreed to come.

Yeah, agree with all of this. 

I personally don't believe the first half and second half of the season were that much different in terms of performance. Better finishing, yes. Better luck? yes. More points? Clearly. 

Take Villa and Forest at home and West Ham away early on in the season. We had enough chances to win all of those games. Didn't take them. Lost all 3. 

Then look at Forest away, Bournemouth at home recently. Could easily have dropped points but for luck,  or poor finishing by them. 

And in between, there were two humiliations at Liverpool and Arsenal, and abysmal performances and results against Burnley, Brentford and Sheffield United, and the highest number of goals conceded in our PL history. 

I think it is clear the decision was made a while ago. I expect after Poch sh*t the bed in the LC final. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Gallagher is an important player but Chalobah is nothing more than a squad rotation player. I'd like to see Chalobah  stay mainly  because he's a Chelsea boy, but no way is he a difference maker to this team or squad.

Who is more of a squad player than Chabolah except Silva?

Chabolah is  one of the most underrated players in the league imo.

4 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'm not , I mentioned it as it appears to be the thing that everyone is up in arms over.

I don't understand how I can make it clear enough for you to grasp that I'm confident the side will improve should they employ a coach 

You have made it clear. Why do you think I replied with thumbs up at least you owned it.

If you can’t see the irony of highlighting the future of Gallagher and Chalobah as integral for any new manager …..well maybe take a step back and look at that for a minute……it seems to be their main alley was the piss poor manager you wanted gone! The Gallagher / Chalobah situation is gone for any new manager realistically, unless a new contract is signed over the summer. The new guy will be made fully aware of this during the interview, he can’t put his hat on those two, unless they are signed up (in Gallagher situation) 

It was interesting, I think, that Thiago Silva took the trouble to thank Marina Granovskaia and Frank Lampard in his parting speech, but omitted any reference to the current regime and Pochettino. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

IMO he only played Gallagher because Enzo was out. And how do we know whether Poch “stuck two fingers at them”?

In your opinion? Well your opinion is wrong. Gallagher has been playing pretty much from day one. Chalobah ditto as soon as he was fit enough to play. There is a massive difference between facts and opinions. Your opinions aren't facts, and in this instance your opinions are wrong

41 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

But will end with Tommy being out the door before his feet touched the ground. 

These owners (mainly Eghbali by the looks of things) have shown themselves to be brutally ruthless and make Roman look like he had the patience of a bird watcher.

Honestly haven't felt this flat, angry and frustrated about our club in many a year. I was so looking forward to next season and beyond but that's all gone now. 

I think they have made a terrible mistake which they might not recover from.  From looking odds on favourites for fourth, I predict we won't finish too 6 now and will be looking for yet another manger this time next year and with a line of players desperate to leave.

I'm firmly in this camp. Another season fighting for conference/upper mid-table. 

36 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Sources: Chelsea players unhappy with Pochettino departure

Pochettino was well-liked amongst the players

MAY 22

PAID
https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fc268a9e1-3e04-4492-8c54-92a621ed2f83_400x400.jpeg

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack.com%2Ficon%2FLuci

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack.com%2Ficon%2FNote

READ IN APPhttps%3A%2F%2Fsubstack.com%2Ficon%2FLuci

One thing that has remained consistent throughout Mauricio Pochettino’s tenure as Chelsea head coach is that in general, the players have adored him.

As with any club, you cannot say that every single player liked him, there were some who perhaps didn’t, and others who were more just mutual towards him. But in general, Pochettino was well-liked amongst the players, which is something I have consistently reported and acknowledged on here.

People can have their views on this, but largely it is just because he was very much an ‘arm around the shoulder’ man-manager, one of the best in the game really. He deflected criticism towards his players, and he refused to critique any of them himself when perhaps they actually deserved some home truths at times.

But on a personal side, on the human side, Pochettino was largely adored by the Chelsea players, and now many of them are truly unhappy that he is gone.

It didn’t really come as a surprise as such to most of them. They read social media, they see the news, they saw all of the speculation, so of course it wasn’t really a surprise. Some of them also knew how frustrated Pochettino had become with not getting what he wanted. Players like Conor Gallagher and Trevoh Chalobah knew he wanted to keep them but knew that they might also attempt to be sold this summer. So many players could see what was developing. Even still, they believed they were building something with Pochettino and many are upset, angry, and frustrated with the conclusive news that came out yesterday.

A source described some of them as being ‘really p****d off’, with another source close to one player saying ‘the circus continues’ at this club.

This was always going to happen if Pochettino left. Some of the players had created very close relationships with him and credit him for their improvement in form. There was always going to be collateral damage with this departure. 

A number of the players have already come out and sent public messages to Pochettino, most notably Nicolas Jackson, who posted two face palm emojis in response of the news. Moises Caicedo has also posted saying ‘what a person, what a coach’. It’s all very telling. 

Having said all of this though, the Chelsea players will do all they can to support the next head coach who will arrive, and many of them have a real belief in this team still and have built a strong rapport as a team unit. I don’t foresee any real player unrest at all.

Simon Phillips

Speaks volumes. The clownery is at an all-time high at this club. 

33 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Yep!

Our points over the last 5 months is top four qualification tally. Anything less than top four from the new manager will be a failure and should then lead to his sacking.

He will also have to get every area of the team right in his first season because anything less should also be unacceptable. Any bad play will his fault. Any brainfarts will his fault. Any good play will be down to individuals. That was the bar that was set for Poch, so let's play fair.

Anything but a coninuation of the upard trajectory will, and should be, deemed a s a failure. I don't see anyone coming in doing better than Poch. De Zerbi? WTF, how far can we as a club sink? 

25 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

They were building  something together from scratch. A proper project if ever there was one in modern day football.  All the signs going forward were positive.

These clowns haven't just shot thenselves  in the foot, they've  shot themselves in the foot, balls and head.

Sums this up perfectly. They have set themselves up for a manager change every summer now. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

No, it was well known they were fond of Poch long before yesterday, so they are bound to be upset.

"Well known by whom"

As for the players being upset lol!.He didn't exactly come across as a man(never mind a manager) that you will miss.

Having said that he might have come across as a guru to the players...I don't know - but jeeze he bored me stiff.

10 minutes ago, BMox81 said:

Imagine having to “fight” Brighton for McKenna. 🤣🤣🤣

He's taken Ipswich to two consecutive promotions and last season they had a transfer expenditure of a paltry £4.6m. Easily manager of the year across all four divisions if you ask me.

I was saying mid season he might well be the next great manager to emerge. However, I have heard it said that he's a bit of an authoritarian though, which might not go down too well with some of the precious and pampered souls in the top league. If that is the case? it  would be a huge culture shock for the players to go from someone who is so laud back to someone the polar opposite.

11 minutes ago, kev61 said:

"Well known by whom"

As for the players being upset lol!.He didn't exactly come across as a man(never mind a manager) that you will miss.

Having said that he might have come across as a guru to the players...I don't know - but jeeze he bored me stiff.

General comments by the media.

Posted (edited)

One thing that comes back to me is that Pochettino walked out of the club because he didn’t agree with the owners on the direction they were taking. He hinted as much in that press conference when his future was brought up. 

We can look back over the poor performances throughout the season and say Poch was a poor coach,  but we were also told this was inevitable with a young side and that eventually results and performances would improve. And they did and we ended up a creditable sixth. To be fair any manager would’ve struggled to get a tune out of this squad at the start of the season especially with all the injuries on top of managing such an inexperienced group.

So the manager had every right to say he fulfilled his part of the bargain and to make demands on what he thought he needed to take us further to compete at an elite level. He clearly didn’t like what he heard and thought he can’t stay under these circumstances. Better to get out now with his reputation intact and that’s what he did. 

Edited by Original 21
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

He's taken Ipswich to two consecutive promotions and last season they had a transfer expenditure of a paltry £4.6m. Easily manager of the year across all four divisions if you ask me.

I was saying mid season he might well be the next great manager to emerge. However, I have heard it said that he's a bit of an authoritarian though, which might not go down too well with some of the precious and pampered souls in the top league. If that is the case? it  would be a huge culture shock for the players to go from someone who is so laud back to someone the polar opposite.

He will be going from a bullfighter in Spain to a gladiator in the colosseum in Rome.He is far to raw to take on a Chelsea team.

Edited by kev61
  • Agree 2

56 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Yep!

Our points over the last 5 months is top four qualification tally. Anything less than top four from the new manager will be a failure and should then lead to his sacking.

He will also have to get every area of the team right in his first season because anything less should also be unacceptable. Any bad play will his fault. Any brainfarts will his fault. Any good play will be down to individuals. That was the bar that was set for Poch, so let's play fair.

So the duds brought by the club are not part of the problem!

13 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Sums this up perfectly. They have set themselves up for a manager change every summer now. 

Yes they have!😟

Forget about City's list of charges for a moment...just look at the top three clubs in the league. They all have two  things in common...they are sensibly run and have  managerial stability.  Meanwhile, our clowns   think the best way to run a top club is to do the exact opposite of what has proven to be successful.

You really couldn't make this s**t up.😟

2 minutes ago, kev61 said:

He will be going from a bullfighter in Spain to a gladiator in the collusiam in Rome.He is far to raw to take on a Chelsea team.

Arteta went to a top club with zero managerial experience. 

Other clubs are prepared to be patient and  build, but we want instant success. That worked when we had a financial advantsge and a string core of proven top quality players and winners.

8 years and counting since a title challenge is all the proof you need to see that what we are doing is no longer working.

4 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Other clubs are prepared to be patient and  build, but we want instant success. That worked when we had a financial advantsge and a string core of proven top quality players and winners.

8 years and counting since a title challenge is all the proof you need to see that what we are doing is no longer working.

Arteta did have the benefit of working in the PL as an assistant to Pep for a number of years, McKenna got his experience working alongside Ole Soslkjaer!

Your point is still valid and I do think McKenna is clearly a very good manager, but the question is at what level... can he cut it in the PL and can he cut it going straight into this Chelsea team with owners demanding top 4? If nothing else, it would be a massive risk, but so would most of the names being spoken about at the moment.

7 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Yes they have!😟

Forget about City's list of charges for a moment...just look at the top three clubs in the league. They all have two  things in common...they are sensibly run and have  managerial stability.  Meanwhile, our clowns   think the best way to run a top club is to do the exact opposite of what has proven to be successful.

You really couldn't make this s**t up.😟

Just look at the top clubs in Europe*, too... all have experienced managers with squads made up of a blend of youth and experience. We intend to join them by having an inexperienced manager in charge of a largely inexperienced squad.  🙄 🙄 🙄

* If we're to believe certain ITKs,  it was the CL semi-finals that finally made the owners realise a change of coach was necessary.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

In your opinion? Well your opinion is wrong. Gallagher has been playing pretty much from day one.

He played him wide to accommodate Caicedo and Fernandez in the more central roles.

Soon as Enzo declared himself longer-term unfit, he was almost forced to move Gallagher back into a central role. He'd done so in the game just before the League Cup Final (which I believe we won, with an improved performance) to rest Enzo and then gave the latter the role in the Final - Sadly and to our cost.

Blind men could see the issues we had in midfield, we were getting outrun, passed around, surrendering space and couldn't get the ball back.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Better to get out now with his reputation intact and that’s what he did. 

What reputation is that?

He's never won anything in his entire career.

1 minute ago, kev61 said:

What reputation is that?

He's never won anything in his entire career.

No different to all the alleged Chelsea head coach candidates  

14 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Forgive me.I can't remember how Arsenal performed when he was first appointed.

I reckon he must of done well in his first season?

7 minutes ago, east lower said:

He played him wide to accommodate Caicedo and Fernandez in the more central roles.

Soon as Enzo declared himself longer-term unfit, he was almost forced to move Gallagher back into a central role. He'd done so in the game just before the League Cup Final (which I believe we won, with an improved performance) to rest Enzo and then gave the latter the role in the Final - Sadly and to our cost.

Blind men could see the issues we had in midfield, we were getting outrun, passed around, surrendering space and couldn't get the ball back.

It's pure coincidence.'There's nowt so blind that cannot see'.

56 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

In your opinion? Well your opinion is wrong. Gallagher has been playing pretty much from day one. Chalobah ditto as soon as he was fit enough to play. There is a massive difference between facts and opinions. Your opinions aren't facts, and in this instance your opinions are wrong

I'm firmly in this camp. Another season fighting for conference/upper mid-table. 

Speaks volumes. The clownery is at an all-time high at this club. 

Anything but a coninuation of the upard trajectory will, and should be, deemed a s a failure. I don't see anyone coming in doing better than Poch. De Zerbi? WTF, how far can we as a club sink? 

Take a chill pill bro. I’m expressing a view. I didn’t say it was fact. And I didn’t even mention Trev. 

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Forgive me.I can't remember how Arsenal performed when he was first appointed.

I reckon he must of done well in his first season?

I've just looked at their league positions.

2019 - 5th.

2020 - 8th which was their lowest for 25 years. 

2021 - 8th again.

2022 - 5th.

No way would any Chelsea manager have lasted beyond 2021 with that kind of record. The majority of our fans would have wanted him sacked in 2020.

Edited by boratsbrother