Mauricio Pochettino leaves Chelsea by mutual consent

Proud-Blue

I really think some should wait and see with Pochettino before they blame the board for this.

What if he turns up at Bayern next week, who's fault would it be if he has chosen to move onto bigger and better things?

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

I've just looked at their league positions.

2019 - 5th.

2020 - 8th which was their lowest for 25 years. 

2021 - 8th again.

2022 - 5th.

No way would any Chelsea manager have lasted beyond 2021 with that kind of record. The majority of our fans would have wanted him sacked in 2020.

The majority of their fans did want him gone then. He's still won nothing since then, but I'd venture they will. They have copied Man City's structure and ultimately Arteta will be backed for at least one more season. Difference being you can see what he's done with his side, how they play - Solid at the back, competitive and slick in midfield, if they had a 20+ goal a season forward they'd have won the league. Top scorer in the league for them was Saka with 16 (penalty taker).

But from what I see, he's a far more inspirational figure than our ex-coach and has dealt with problem players himself and forcibly so.

1 minute ago, martin1905 said:

I really think some should wait and see with Pochettino before they blame the board for this.

What if he turns up at Bayern next week, who's fault would it be if he has chosen to move onto bigger and better things?

I agree, I think this is a really good point. It's very possible he has asked to go because Bayern, Man United or another club is sniffing around and he saw it as a better option.

Maybe he'll take over from Southgate.

Just now, My Blood Is Blue said:

Looking more and more like a 1 horse race.

5/2 means the bookies have no idea.They have to have a favourite that will draw punters in.

3 hours ago, kev61 said:

…and yes I don't have my coaching badges but I do have a blue peter one

Better than owning a Jim’ll Fix It one!

Can Poch move straight into another coaching role or is he still under contract to us for another year?

• Haha 1

Just now, kev61 said:

5/2 means the bookies have no idea.They have to have a favourite that will draw punters in.

These  markets always fluctuate massively because bookies take no serious money on them. It’s the odd £20 here and there, as soon as anyone tries to land a decent stakes bet on a market like this, it would be rejected as its open to insider knowledge. 

It’s actually very difficult to get a bet of around £200 on a 15 runner horse race these days, especially with the big corp height street bookmakers . So you can guarantee they are not taking worthwhile bets on these markets, a few tenners here and there is enough to move something from 5/1 to 2/1 in a market like this. 

14 minutes ago, east lower said:

The majority of their fans did want him gone then. He's still won nothing since then, but I'd venture they will. They have copied Man City's structure and ultimately Arteta will be backed for at least one more season. Difference being you can see what he's done with his side, how they play - Solid at the back, competitive and slick in midfield, if they had a 20+ goal a season forward they'd have won the league. Top scorer in the league for them was Saka with 16 (penalty taker).

But from what I see, he's a far more inspirational figure than our ex-coach and has dealt with problem players himself and forcibly so.

Yes, of course we can all see the difference now, but the point is it took him four seasons before his methods started to have a real effect. They had two back to back worst seasons for 25 years when they played some horrendously negative, shit on a stick football.  No Chelsea manager survies two seasons as bad as that! 

Going way back. Ferguson finished 13th in his third season at Utd.  Just when are we ever going to learn? 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, chrisb said:

Better than owning a Jim’ll Fix It one!

Can Poch move straight into another coaching role or is he still under contract to us for another year?

Now then now then now then what do we have here a P45 and another shit Brighton manager 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Chelsea_Matt
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Yes, of course we can all see the difference now, but the point is it took him four seasons before his methods started to have a real effect. They had two back to back worst seasons for 25 years when they played some horrendously negative, shit on a stick football.  No Chelsea manager survies two seasons as bad as that! 

Going way back. Ferguson finished 13th in his third season at Utd.  Just when are we ever going to learn? 

They played OK football, but were absolute trash at the back and through the middle of midfield. We have our opposing views on a few matters, but I have no issue with things taking time as long as you can see the longer-term goal and a plan of how to get there. I could see with Arteta they had a tactician and a man of action (the Arsenal docuseries shows this to a degree). Did I see that in the ex-coach, no chance. Do I believe that the ownership we have and the structures they appear to want to work within, will work - No, I don't.

Maybe the ex-coach changed his mind on being able to work within the type of structure the owners want, maybe he thought he could get the owners to come round to his way. Maybe the gruesome twosome thought they could work with the ex-coach and get him to accept whomsoever it is they want to sign or sell? Seems not now. A better coach would have done better last year, ask the question would Pep or Arteta have gone 3/4 of a season with a midfield that wasn't functioning?

1 hour ago, kev61 said:

Seems Zebadee and McKenna is a two horse race according to the bookies.

Fook me

it now between a 60's drug infused cartoon character and a hypnotic radio & TV presenter

Time to start dining again with rocking horse people who eat marshmallow pies 

1 minute ago, ROTG said:

Fook me

it now between a 60's drug infused cartoon character and a hypnotic radio & TV presenter

3 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Fook me

Too much of the alter wine padre?.…good lad!

2 hours ago, Original 21 said:

One thing that comes back to me is that Pochettino walked out of the club because he didn’t agree with the owners on the direction they were taking. He hinted as much in that press conference when his future was brought up. 

We can look back over the poor performances throughout the season and say Poch was a poor coach,  but we were also told this was inevitable with a young side and that eventually results and performances would improve. And they did and we ended up a creditable sixth. To be fair any manager would’ve struggled to get a tune out of this squad at the start of the season especially with all the injuries on top of managing such an inexperienced group.

So the manager had every right to say he fulfilled his part of the bargain and to make demands on what he thought he needed to take us further to compete at an elite level. He clearly didn’t like what he heard and thought he can’t stay under these circumstances. Better to get out now with his reputation intact and that’s what he did. 

An interesting and not so unlikely scenario. It is hugesly concerning should this be true. I think that football-people should have a big input into football matters. Who at the top of our club has demonstrated football knowledge? 

2 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Yes they have!😟

Forget about City's list of charges for a moment...just look at the top three clubs in the league. They all have two  things in common...they are sensibly run and have  managerial stability.  Meanwhile, our clowns   think the best way to run a top club is to do the exact opposite of what has proven to be successful.

You really couldn't make this s**t up.😟

Yes. It's all very american - sack as soon as you see the first little sign of trouble. You build something long-term, that's why it's called building. You don't sprint your way to sustainable success. There is literally no club in world football that has managed that apart from perhaps real Madrid. 

Some will argue Roman, I will disagree with that. 

2 hours ago, east lower said:

He played him wide to accommodate Caicedo and Fernandez in the more central roles.

Soon as Enzo declared himself longer-term unfit, he was almost forced to move Gallagher back into a central role. He'd done so in the game just before the League Cup Final (which I believe we won, with an improved performance) to rest Enzo and then gave the latter the role in the Final - Sadly and to our cost.

Blind men could see the issues we had in midfield, we were getting outrun, passed around, surrendering space and couldn't get the ball back.

Not quite. 

21 games as an AM, 2 games as a LW,  18 games as a CM, 8 games as a DM. He's been most productive from that AM role. Also, I can't even fathom what ridicule he would get from our fans had he left out either Caicedo or Fernandez from the starting XI for any proloned period of time.                                                                                                

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

I've just looked at their league positions.

2019 - 5th.

2020 - 8th which was their lowest for 25 years. 

2021 - 8th again.

2022 - 5th.

No way would any Chelsea manager have lasted beyond 2021 with that kind of record. The majority of our fans would have wanted him sacked in 2020.

I dare say no Chelsea manager would have survived 2019 with that record. Klopp would have been fired, most likely also Pep. Arteta for sure. None of the incumbent top three managers in the PL would have survived their first year if it was Chelsea. How are you supposed to build something sustainable with that attitude?

Anyways, I'm done commenting on this. I'll be checking out for the summer. Rubbish owners, I can't wait to see the back of these clowns. The rest of you can prepare for another summer merry-go-round with insane players transfers and the latest flavour o the month hired as "coach", only to last until November before being fired. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I agree, I think this is a really good point. It's very possible he has asked to go because Bayern, Man United or another club is sniffing around and he saw it as a better option.

Maybe he'll take over from Southgate.

I just don't think that's the reality, Sam.

He has asked for more say on transfers, asked that the board doesn't cash in on our academy players, and paid the price. I believe the board partly looks at Poch as not suited/failing to deliver on some of their biggest investments - the likes of Enzo and Mudryk. 

How ironic though that this decision has united the fanbase in it's ridiculousness - an absolutely baffling call in its timing despite most of us shouting for him to go four times over.

I believe if we go for a McKenna or another up-and-comer we are destined to repeat the Potter experiment - we seem to have completely missed the point that at least Poch had experience of looking the part and handling the pressure at this elite level of football.

Next season will be worse than this one. Chalobah, Thiago, and Gallagher gone. More youngster assets coming in. Season ticket prices jacked up. I feel more serious fan protests are coming.

Board won't go for De Zerbi because he is too combustible. They want even more of a yes man than the yes man Poch. With a potential points deduction, next season will be rough as hell.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Not quite. 

21 games as an AM, 2 games as a LW,  18 games as a CM, 8 games as a DM. He's been most productive from that AM role. Also, I can't even fathom what ridicule he would get from our fans had he left out either Caicedo or Fernandez from the starting XI for any proloned period of time.                                                                                                 

I watched them all, and absolutely assure you he played him wide in the majority of those games. He’d venture into deeper defensive positions to try to form a way out for the ball from defenders.

He got ridicule from me for putting Enzo back in, for the final. To be fair to most I talk to, the jury is still out when it comes to the latter named.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, east lower said:

ask the question would Pep or Arteta have gone 3/4 of a season with a midfield that wasn't functioning?

Poch was left desperately short of numbers, let alone proven quality in midfield all season.  Enzo was struggling all season with a groin problem.  Caicedo had no pre season and for three quarters of the season  looked like a  400 metre runner who'd been asked  play football at the highest level. Chuck was was injured. Lavia was injured. Ugo injured.  There were literally no options available for the manager, so he had to run his three midfielders into the ground, so no wonder they were leaving gaps to be exposed.

1 hour ago, east lower said:

I watched them all, and absolutely assure you he played him wide in the majority of those games. He’d venture into deeper defensive positions to try to form a way out for the ball from defenders.

He got ridicule from me for putting Enzo back in, for the final. To be fair to most I talk to, the jury is still out when it comes to the latter named.

The jury is still out - at best. At best. For me he’s been a colossal waste of money. I think he’s talented but not suited to the PL. 🇦🇷🤨💯

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

Board won't go for De Zerbi because he is too combustible. They want even more of a yes man than the yes man Poch. With a potential points deduction, next season will be rough as hell.

I see this quite differently. I think the decision-makers think Stage 1, bringing in young players and nurturing them into a coherent squad and team, is done. That is the specific job they hired Pochettino for. They think we're ready for Stage 2 ... The squad going up a gear and getting CL football. They think (to a degree correctly) that stage needs a different coach, and De Zerbi could be that. It won't matter that he isn't likely to last more than a year or two, because the plan will be to move onto a third stage that needs a coach who wins things.

I think this is all madness, of course.

5 hours ago, RDCW said:

It was interesting, I think, that Thiago Silva took the trouble to thank Marina Granovskaia and Frank Lampard in his parting speech, but omitted any reference to the current regime and Pochettino. 

Presumably he thanked them for bringing him to the club, which the current lot didn't do

39 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I see this quite differently. I think the decision-makers think Stage 1, bringing in young players and nurturing them into a coherent squad and team, is done. That is the specific job they hired Pochettino for. They think we're ready for Stage 2 ... The squad going up a gear and getting CL football. They think (to a degree correctly) that stage needs a different coach, and De Zerbi could be that. It won't matter that he isn't likely to last more than a year or two, because the plan will be to move onto a third stage that needs a coach who wins things.

I think this is all madness, of course.

It's a matter of style of play suiting the recruitment decisions that are solely made from above and destroying the authority of the manager to argue for what he wants. Ruled out Nagelsmann and Enrique last season and Poch now. The owners would have stuck with Poch but he started calling for more experience in press conferences. Also they maybe rightly blame his training methods for some of our injury problems, but mostly it is an issue of the owners choosing players to fit a particular model and then choosing the manager to fit that model.

Completely ignoring the fact that the manager has consistently proved to be THE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT in succeeding at elite level football, but these owners are importing American ideas and assuming the manager can be bypassed with smart recruitment that nonetheless focuses on asset growth rather than experience and pedigree.

Let's see if I have this right. The club will be sorting out our PSR position for 2023/4, which will inevitably require transfers while the players are away, the manager who was protecting the playing staff is no longer in place. and, quite likely, no replacement. I think I can see where this is going. We need to be very clear and remember this moment. The Clearwater people appear to have no clue. The people making the decisions are the sporting directors. They probably see themselves as amateur football managers as a result of playing video games. They have to be held personally responsible for this when it goes tits up next season.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'm not advocating for DeZerbi but one average season at Brighton where they sold their best players and the midfield they'd built their foundations on doesn't really tell the full story , he did amazing things in Italy with a tiny club getting them to eighth in Serie A and playing "good" football on the way and he was top of the league with Shaktar before Chelsea sent the tanks into the Ukraine so he's obviously got talent , maybe he would be the one to get the best out of Mudryk as he was his coach previously ? 

Despite the relatively strong finish lets not all pretend that Poch was the answer , the man who didn't want to sign Palmer and refused to play anyone in with Caicedo midfield except Enzo until change was forced upon him .

Well if that’s true that he didn’t want to sign Palmer , it’s a good job he didn’t have more sway with transfers. I heard a stat that without Palmers goals and assists we would have finished in 16th position …that’s 10 places lower ( when I was at school) !! It also might explain Poches comment before Arsenal game that we are Chelsea not Palmer United. What followed was the worst and most humiliating defeat of the season. No coincidence at all. 
Poch claimed the problem with the team was youth. Well Palmer was youth. So was Gallagher who he made skipper . Why not give job to Silver - the player with all the experience? 
Poch was a mystery wrapped up in an enigma. Out of curiosity ( rather than expectation) I’d have given a second season but maybe be prepared to pull the trigger during the season if the old performances returned. So who knows. Let’s support whoever comes in. This time next year we might be saying what a brilliant move it was to sack him!