Mauricio Pochettino leaves Chelsea by mutual consent

Proud-Blue

Poch never stood a chance between the owners style and the large amount of apathy against him here from day one was anything to go by. Shame I though he was a good choice but the owners methods will scuttle anyone

13 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

. I heard a stat that without Palmers goals and assists we would have finished in 16th position

Presumably if the club hadn't bought Palmer, someone else might have played those games? Or would we have played with 10?

I am not saying whomever it was would have scored / assisted at the same rate, but to say without Palmer we were 16th is just silly. 

Just now, Max Fowler said:

Never wining with this model.

I wouldn't trust the Daily Mail to know what colour trousers the board members are wearing let alone to have an insight into what the club want going forward .

The Daily Mail post two anti Chelsea articles per day and have done so as far as my memory goes back.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Presumably if the club hadn't bought Palmer, someone else might have played those games? Or would we have played with 10?

I am not saying whomever it was would have scored / assisted at the same rate, but to say without Palmer we were 16th is just silly. 

As I recall, we were after Michael Olise (Crystal Palace) but made such a mess of signing him - I think he even had a fairly low release clause, but I may be confusing him with someone else - that he ended up extending his Palace contract. Then we went after Kudus of Ajax, but left it too late as he was West Ham bound.  Meanwhile Palmer had been touted to various clubs for around the £25m mark until we swept in on the last day of the window with a bid of around £42m (with add-ons). 

Strawman thought. Imagine that an investigation into the causes of this season's injury crisis has revealed that it is, at least partly, a consequence of an excessive training regime. Were that true, I might feel differently about letting the manager go. Having said that, the decision has been arrived at far too quickly or they have been sitting on the situation far too long.

7 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

As I recall, we were after Michael Olise (Crystal Palace) but made such a mess of signing him - I think he even had a fairly low release clause, but I may be confusing him with someone else - that he ended up extending his Palace contract. Then we went after Kudus of Ajax, but left it too late as he was West Ham bound.  Meanwhile Palmer had been touted to various clubs for around the £25m mark until we swept in on the last day of the window with a bid of around £42m (with add-ons). 

Are you James Olley in disguise… lol

55 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Completely ignoring the fact that the manager has consistently proved to be THE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT in succeeding at elite level football, but these owners are importing American ideas and assuming the manager can be bypassed with smart recruitment that nonetheless focuses on asset growth rather than experience and pedigree.

When was this proven, sorry? It's plainly not true and is the sort of thing that leads to circular arguments. At an elite level, you have to get literally everything right.

I don't know that what they're doing is especially "American" but I agree it's really not likely to work.

20 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Welcome back Max!!!!

Roberto De Zerbi's personality????  Well that would apply to Tuchel, Conte and Jose too.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

When was this proven, sorry? It's plainly not true and is the sort of thing that leads to circular arguments. At an elite level, you have to get literally everything right.

I don't know that what they're doing is especially "American" but I agree it's really not likely to work.

There is no chance City would have won 4 leagues in a row - 6 out of 7 without Guardiola. Any other manager in charge and despite their perfect structure the gap would be so much less.

12 minutes ago, JaneB said:

I thought that was the norm these days (regrettably).

I think the manager/head coach should have a say in new signings, but the club does need to build a team that works for the club not just the manager, otherwise you need to rebuild the squad every time you change managers, which these days, is pretty often!

Can’t believe the Board are planning to recruit a coach who hasn’t proven himself at the highest level, and then expect him to qualify for the Champions League via top four in his first season.

They were wildly optimistic about the balance and quality of the squad last season. They’re in a bind now because anything  less than finishing above sixth would now be seen as a failure.

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Can’t believe the Board are planning to recruit a coach who hasn’t proven himself at the highest level, and then expect him to qualify for the Champions League via top four in his first season.

They were wildly optimistic about the balance and quality of the squad last season. They’re in a bind now because anything  less than finishing above sixth would now be seen as a failure.

Yep, they are going all in on CL qualification this season, which means that at any point during next season that top 4 is looking unlikely, the pressure will be huge on the new manager and they may well find themselves looking for a new job.

I'd understand it if we had a squad proven to be good enough to make the top 4, but we currently don't. We have a squad that looks like it has the potential to do it next season, but no more than potential at the moment.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Box of Tricks said:

I have a strong feeling that it will be Thomas Frank.

I think he's an underrated manager in desperate need of a new challenge.

I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Edited by bertles86
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

It's amazing what people are prepared to believe. 

I'm absolutely prepared to believe anything negative about the owners and especially the sporting directors. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

There is no chance City would have won 4 leagues in a row - 6 out of 7 without Guardiola. Any other manager in charge and despite their perfect structure the gap would be so much less.

Lovely to have you back bro 😎👀🩶

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

I just don't think that's the reality, Sam.

He has asked for more say on transfers, asked that the board doesn't cash in on our academy players, and paid the price. I believe the board partly looks at Poch as not suited/failing to deliver on some of their biggest investments - the likes of Enzo and Mudryk. 

How ironic though that this decision has united the fanbase in it's ridiculousness - an absolutely baffling call in its timing despite most of us shouting for him to go four times over.

I believe if we go for a McKenna or another up-and-comer we are destined to repeat the Potter experiment - we seem to have completely missed the point that at least Poch had experience of looking the part and handling the pressure at this elite level of football.

Next season will be worse than this one. Chalobah, Thiago, and Gallagher gone. More youngster assets coming in. Season ticket prices jacked up. I feel more serious fan protests are coming.

Board won't go for De Zerbi because he is too combustible. They want even more of a yes man than the yes man Poch. With a potential points deduction, next season will be rough as hell.

Nice to see you back posting today!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Just wait to see what their expectations are of Kieran McKenna, if indeed it is him.

Edited by Spawton

13 minutes ago, Spawton said:

Just wait to see what their expectations are of Kieran McKenna, if indeed it is him.

In most interviews, either the prospective employee says or they are asked what it is they will achieve and/or what they bring with them.

So, maybe the expectations are agreed in advance. The ex-coach originally stated his aim was to qualify for the CL, he quite quickly and conveniently (for him) forgot that.