Mauricio Pochettino leaves Chelsea by mutual consent

Proud-Blue

6 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

We don't really have a "general Chelsea thread", so going to pop this here since it somewhat pertains to our football under Poch currently. 

wog4ekig2xmb1.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Really reaffirms that we're being let down by our wastefulness in front of goal. May also surprise a few to see Chilwell being as dominant as he has been given the flak playing him at LW has copped. 

Don't show this to Todd - he'll print it out and put it up next to his whiteboard with his favourite 4-4-3 formation.

1 hour ago, kev61 said:

I know I will be laughed at,but the next 3 games will give me a clearer picture of Poch.

Patience my old cock sparrow

I suggest you make your judgement around mid-December, once the team has played all the big boys/girls in the league.

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

Don't show this to Todd - he'll print it out and put it up next to his whiteboard with his favourite 4-4-3 formation.

Probably confuse him with there being more than 11 players and duplicates.

"In the spitting image world maybe Todd will ask the dynamic duo "Lawrence and Stewart" do we have two Ben Chiwell's, T Silva's and R Sterling?"

I get my coat.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ROTG said:

I suggest you make your judgement around mid-December, once the team has played all the big boys/girls in the league.

No doubt if we lose against Bournemouth the pressure starts properly.

Terrible run of fixtures soon after that and he could be gone sooner.

2 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Probably confuse him with there being more than 11 players and duplicates.

"In the spitting image world maybe Todd will ask the dynamic duo "Lawrence and Stewart" do we have two Ben Chiwell's, T Silva's and R Sterling?"

I get my coat.

And who is this R. Giles and will 40 million be enough?

6 minutes ago, ROTG said:

I will make my judgement when I see fit old toot.

My judgement is never rushed - unlike the stat's people who wouldn't know an onion from a clove of garlic.

2 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

The pressure will be on externally, but I can’t see the owners pushing the eject button any time soon. They spent a lot of time on finding who they believe is the right manager and will also (I hope) be well aware that with the amount of changes in the squad over the summer, time and patience is going to be required.

Thats not to say Poch is going to get a free hit, but I don’t expect him gone anytime soon, unless we don’t pick up a win in the next couple of months… but we will, things will settle down soon.

6 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

4 games and the jockeying for position has already begun.

Here's a clue. They all get sacked at some point, so no-one actually wins this game.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

Here's a clue. They all get sacked at some point, so no-one actually wins this game.

True. But to nail the timing is what the game is really about. I called Tuchel being out before last season would have ended. He was. 

If Poch is lingering around 10-15th with severe goalscoring problems at the halfway mark, I’d imagine that the clownish leadership will put that down to being a management problem and not a recruitment problem and he’ll likely be out. Not saying that I necessarily agree with it, but that’s my prediction. 

If, on the other hand, Poch gets us scoring goals he deserves 100% backing in the long-term because that would be nothing short of an amazing achievement. 

Just now, Sleeping Dave said:

True. But to nail the timing is what the game is really about. I called Tuchel being out before last season would have ended. He was. 

If Poch is lingering around 10-15th with severe goalscoring problems at the halfway mark, I’d imagine that the clownish leadership will put that down to being a management problem and not a recruitment problem and he’ll likely be out. Not saying that I necessarily agree with it, but that’s my prediction. 

If, on the other hand, Poch gets us scoring goals he deserves 100% backing in the long-term because that would be nothing short of an amazing achievement. 

We can be one hundred percent certain that the media , already trying their best ,  will heap as much pressure as possible on him too , which considering the respect he affords them in press conferences is duplicitous .

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, McCreadie said:

Quite. 

These are guys who love a lifetime contract, but Pochettino is on just two. Now I think that's sensible in many ways and expect Pochettino himself favoured a shorter deal, but I still think it gives some indication of willingness to pull the trigger. Such a short contract is going to have the financial wiggle room to sack as one of its main motivations.

The time where we could be relieved by a sacking, where it was a competent owner rectifying a mistake, is long gone. Another sacking in the next year or so would be something to be very worried about, imo.

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Not sure about Scaloni.

If Poch leaves the first person we should turn to is De Zerbi.

Or else he will become Man City manager after Pep leaves. Guaranteed. 

De Zerbi's team is playing with zero pressure, and like Potter he has never been under pressure. Brighton are a team where if you lose by playing risky football you get a pat on your back and told it's a job well done, that's why players like Cucurella performed so well there and even Colwill; and Caicedo hasn't had a blinding start here becasue the reality is the game we have to play in is a whole different world of pressure, and at times his face has shown it.

Then City will probably end up with their own Potter, the difference two decades make in football. Jose had to win the CL with Porto to earn his shot, nowadays a good run in the league at Brighton has the big jobs get thrown at you. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, xceleryx said:

NT football is an entirely different kettle of fish to that of club football. We see this with players all the time, it's not a whole lot different to managers either. It's hard to take too much stock from it. That's not to say Scaloni is a bad manager, or to even discredit what he's achieved with Argentina, but there's huge unknown that comes with it as well. For the position we're in as a club right now, with the direction we've taken, I just cannot see why we'd go down this pathway. 

Either way, we've just hired Poch and there's no reason why we shouldn't be backing him at this point in time. 

I'm not going to pretend it isn't, but I think the job at our club is so big it requires a strong perosnality who has to bring results very quickly, if not Scaloni then, I think a NT manager might actually be our path to getting back on the winning path; if they can't sustain it then we cut loose but we need a quick fire bounce back if Poch can't win his next few games.

Yes we have I really don't like talking about changing managers so quickly, but hope the club is doing their homework just incase.

11 hours ago, xceleryx said:

We don't really have a "general Chelsea thread", so going to pop this here since it somewhat pertains to our football under Poch currently. 

wog4ekig2xmb1.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Really reaffirms that we're being let down by our wastefulness in front of goal. May also surprise a few to see Chilwell being as dominant as he has been given the flak playing him at LW has copped. 

xT is quite weird at times, for example the league leaders have 1 player in that entire table, second place have 2 players, third have 2, fourth have 0, fifth have 0.

Now: sixth have 3, seventh have 3, the numbers are higher but the teams are lower placed. We are twelth and have 8 positions on that table spread across 5 players, at a quick glance we're the only team to have multiple players for different positions; I don't think that's a good thing, it might actually be highlighting that we just move the ball around into key areas but with no real plan to execute; keep ball exercise with nothing to show for it, couple that with Chilly finding himself in areas he shouldn't be in (you'd think Jackson would pop up there surely?) especially when there's even better players like Maatsen to do that role, and it points at a bunch of bad selection choices and tactical flaws in the system.

4 hours ago, McCreadie said:

Make no mistake. The jockeying has started because of our dreadful start to the season.
Not because of me.

As I said, it took Tuchel 25 games to lose 2. There was no jockeying needed.

1 hour ago, Gurj SS said:

De Zerbi's team is playing with zero pressure, and like Potter he has never been under pressure. Brighton are a team where if you lose by playing risky football you get a pat on your back and told it's a job well done, that's why players like Cucurella performed so well there and even Colwill; and Caicedo hasn't had a blinding start here becasue the reality is the game we have to play in is a whole different world of pressure, and at times his face has shown it.

Then City will probably end up with their own Potter, the difference two decades make in football. Jose had to win the CL with Porto to earn his shot, nowadays a good run in the league at Brighton has the big jobs get thrown at you. 

Difference is on all conceivable metrics Brighton under De Zerbi are about 3 levels above what they were under Potter.

42 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Make no mistake. The jockeying has started because of our dreadful start to the season.
Not because of me.

As I said, it took Tuchel 25 games to lose 2. There was no jockeying needed.

It’s literally 2 defeats where we were the better team, with a lineup full of embryos and missing arguably 2 of our 3 best players. It’s ridiculous. You would have had Conte out before he got past the Arsenal game.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

It’s literally 2 defeats where we were the better team, with a lineup full of embryos and missing arguably 2 of our 3 best players. It’s ridiculous. You would have had Conte out before he got past the Arsenal game.

The difference is - we lost to Liverpool and Arsenal - not West Ham and Forest. Again - Forest had the worst away record in the league last season. It doesn’t get easier than that. But the comparison is valid - has Poch got the balls to switch it up like Conte or is the stubborn bridesmaid some of us fear?

17 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

The difference is - we lost to Liverpool and Arsenal - not West Ham and Forest. Again - Forest had the worst away record in the league last season. It doesn’t get easier than that. But the comparison is valid - has Poch got the balls to switch it up like Conte or is the stubborn bridesmaid some of us fear?

If we look at the Forest game in isolation , we were by far the better "footballing" side that day , their entire strategy as is their want was to not get humped away. They would have been over the moon with a 0-0 draw and I expect reasonably nonplussed by a 1-0 loss. 

That we through dint of our own stupidity , lack of concentration or over confidence absolutely gifted them a winner .

They could do and probably will do the same to other sides this season , and lets not forget that they have also bought in players hand over fist so the side we faced was quite different to the one we played last year I expect ( haven't checked so...)

Incidentally their first team squad is 35 players and having  loads of players to keep happy hasn't affected them much has it?  I wonder why the media keep insisting our 25 man squad with six injured players unavailable is such a massive issue.?

I don't believe Poch will change anything as listening to his post match comments he believes we did everything right other than put the ball in the net and gift them a goal from out of nothing .  

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I don't believe Poch will change anything as listening to his post match comments he believes we did everything right other than put the ball in the net and gift them a goal from out of nothing .  

The mentality was, and is, so weak throughout our club that all recent managers seem to stick to this same line to not upset the players or owners. Frank towards the end was more honest because he knew he it was a lost cause and he was leaving anyway, but the players also didn't give a shit because they also he (and in a lot of cases, they) were leaving.

I read on the forum today that a strong personality is needed to turn things round. It reminded me when Jose came in it seemed that the higher ups maybe accepted that he knew more about football than them, and let him do his thing, supporting him with transfers too. I know this whole football by committee is the new norm but it doesn't seem to work at top clubs. I think we all recognise now Potter was a yes man, and hired as that. Obviously, Poch isn't coming off the back of an underdog CL win and doesn't have that gravitas Jose did, but I can't help but think our squad would be in a better place if the soccer investors had listened to him a bit more.

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

If we look at the Forest game in isolation , we were by far the better "footballing" side that day , their entire strategy as is their want was to not get humped away. They would have been over the moon with a 0-0 draw and I expect reasonably nonplussed by a 1-0 loss. 

That we through dint of our own stupidity , lack of concentration or over confidence absolutely gifted them a winner .

They could do and probably will do the same to other sides this season , and lets not forget that they have also bought in players hand over fist so the side we faced was quite different to the one we played last year I expect ( haven't checked so...)

Incidentally their first team squad is 35 players and having  loads of players to keep happy hasn't affected them much has it?  I wonder why the media keep insisting our 25 man squad with six injured players unavailable is such a massive issue.?

I'm not convinced we were, Mark.

First half - absolutely.

Second half they looked more like scoring on the break than we did.

Let's see where they are on the away league table this season.