Mauricio Pochettino leaves Chelsea by mutual consent

Proud-Blue

14 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I'm not convinced we were, Mark.

First half - absolutely.

Second half they looked more like scoring on the break than we did.

Let's see where they are on the away league table this season.

Well we know why that was don't we? 

Because Caicedo shit the bed and gifted them an opportunity (again) and after that they were in cruise control and we were at panic stations. 

13 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Quite. 

These are guys who love a lifetime contract, but Pochettino is on just two. Now I think that's sensible in many ways and expect Pochettino himself favoured a shorter deal, but I still think it gives some indication of willingness to pull the trigger. Such a short contract is going to have the financial wiggle room to sack as one of its main motivations.

The time where we could be relieved by a sacking, where it was a competent owner rectifying a mistake, is long gone. Another sacking in the next year or so would be something to be very worried about, imo.

You sack a manager when the players as a squad sub-perform.
But first you need to be sure that the players are half as good as the club thinks they are.
I don't think the club can judge that anymore.  One can see why so many good players were happy to leave over past 15 months - they weren't rated by the new club and knew it.

3 hours ago, Dwmh said:

But first you need to be sure that the players are half as good as the club thinks they are.

The players have 5-7 years to prove themselves.

What's the odds of Winstanley, Stewart & Shield's being around in 5 years?

Edited by ROTG

4 hours ago, ROTG said:

The players have 5-7 years to prove themselves.

No they don't.  They'll get rotated out at whatever cost by this owner of the next unless they prove themselves this season.

4 hours ago, ROTG said:

What's the odds of Winstanley, Stewart & Shield's being around in 5 years?

I only recognise one of those names - and you are right, I wouldn't be surprised if I never find out what the other two do.

2 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

They've all got their heads together to write this article again as the same one is in the Daily Mail. 

What they're trying to do is imply that Chelsea are going to become a dirty side just like nobody ever, ever, ever accused Spurs or Newcastle of being. 

And that's not what he said. 

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

They've all got their heads together to write this article again as the same one is in the Daily Mail. 

What they're trying to do is imply that Chelsea are going to become a dirty side just like nobody ever, ever, ever accused Spurs or Newcastle of being. 

And that's not what he said. 

It’s the concept I’m interested in. Our players are too busy doing their makeup for Instagram than to actually show up and fight. No one dared try it with the Chelsea of old. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

It’s the concept I’m interested in. Our players are too busy doing their makeup for Instagram than to actually show up and fight. No one dared try it with the Chelsea of old. 

Oh no, I absolutely agree, we need to bring those old Pochettino dark arts into play. 

But that's not what he said. 

They just reported it like he had, to do a job on us down the line. 

Edited by Mark Kelly

3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Oh no, I absolutely agree, we need to bring those old Pochettino dark arts into play. 

But that's not what he said. 

They just reported it like he had, to do a job on us down the line. 

Thumb in eye?
The game made the 1970 cup final look like a ball room dance - and yet all the fouls were on one side.
Nevermind Clattenberg's outright dangerous approach to "creating a game of it". Spurs and specifically their manager should have been heavily punished for that game.

Was this game never mentioned when the Pochettino thread was started?  Never mentioned as a major black mark against him?

Edited by Dwmh

5 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

You need the right personalities, and with the way footballers are developed in this day and age theirs fewer of those around. 

The Premier League is also far more chummy these days as well, gone are the fierce rivalries that were once had between the players.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, xceleryx said:

You need the right personalities, and with the way footballers are developed in this day and age theirs fewer of those around. 

The Premier League is also far more chummy these days as well, gone are the fierce rivalries that were once had between the players.

Sadly, I think you’re right and this combined with too many being worried about their celeb status off the field, it’s making for a far less entertaining sport than it was even about 10 years ago.

I was thinking about this the other day and for me, the media and in particular Sky have pushed the sport so far in the way of ‘entertainment’ over actual sport, that it’s becoming less and less enjoyable to watch, at least for me personally.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Sadly, I think you’re right and this combined with too many being worried about their celeb status off the field, it’s making for a far less entertaining sport than it was even about 10 years ago.

I was thinking about this the other day and for me, the media and in particular Sky have pushed the sport so far in the way of ‘entertainment’ over actual sport, that it’s becoming less and less enjoyable to watch, at least for me personally.

"Imagine" is such a big thing now with a lot of players going down the brand pathway outside of football, so I can understand why one wouldn't want to jeopardise that either. Can you imagine if someone like Marco Matterazzi was playing during this day and age with the way social media is. 

The Premier League has certainly suffered with some of the fierce rivalries mellowing out, the product was far more enjoyable when we had Arsenal and Man Utd going at it, Liverpool and ourselves, and so on. However, it was probably also at a detriment to the national team once these players were combining together. Where as now, everyone gets along regardless of the clubs they play for, so when they do go away with England it's a far more harmonious environment and that's ultimately aided the NT more. 

Expanding on it further, it's also the lack of true HG stars playing for their home town clubs. They got the importance of these rivalries and that would bleed into the rest of the side. We don't see as much of that anymore either. 

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

And this awful tippy tapppy trying to be like Citeh/old Barcelona style of meaningless possession! So boring.

50 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

And this awful tippy tapppy trying to be like Citeh/old Barcelona style of meaningless possession! So boring.

Yeah, completely agree. It seems an odd thing to say, but I think it’s all far too tactical now, everything is over thought.

Dont get me wrong, I love the tactical side of football, but it feels like it’s gone to such an extreme level and it’s less big, bold and brash football. VAR probably hasn’t helped either.

Maybe I’m just getting/got old.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Yeah, completely agree. It seems an odd thing to say, but I think it’s all far too tactical now, everything is over thought.

Dont get me wrong, I love the tactical side of football, but it feels like it’s gone to such an extreme level and it’s less big, bold and brash football. VAR probably hasn’t helped either.

Maybe I’m just getting/got old.

Nah you’re not, it’s just dull. As @Mark Kelly so brilliantly put it, Chelsea just pass it around and the oppo don’t need to do anything!

We’re not passing to pull them out of position to play a killer pass, it’s just boring, mindless  football. And we’re not the only ones guilty of it. It’s the fashion I’m afraid. 

1 hour ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Nah you’re not, it’s just dull. As @Mark Kelly so brilliantly put it, Chelsea just pass it around and the oppo don’t need to do anything!

We’re not passing to pull them out of position to play a killer pass, it’s just boring, mindless  football. And we’re not the only ones guilty of it. It’s the fashion I’m afraid. 

All the opposition have to be is patient and eventually we'll confuse ourselves.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Pochettino is not the problem

He's a major problem if not the only problem.

9 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Winstanley, Stewart and Shields are real problem, because none of them are qualified for the positions they hold at the club.

You don't need to be 'qualified' to buy and own a club. You need smarts. and money.  See: Roman.

2 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

He's a major problem if not the only problem.

He is only as good as the tools he has been given. 

3 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:
16 minutes ago, ROTG said:

You don't need to be 'qualified' to buy and own a club. You need smarts. and money.  See: Roman

What has buying a club got to do with lazy/poor recruitment. 

25 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Pochettino is not the problem

Winstanley, Stewart and Shields are real problem, because none of them are qualified for the positions they hold at the club.

Steve Walsh and his move to Everton comes to mind.

What do you think about Colwell playing left back? .

What do you think about playing Chilwell as a left winger?.

You say a lot about the back room staff but say nothing about what happens on the field!

This cryptic nonsense is getting annoying.

4 minutes ago, kev61 said:

What do you think about Colwell playing left back? .

What do you think about playing Chilwell as a left winger?.

You say a lot about the back room staff but say nothing about what happens on the field!

Please tell us why Poch is not the problem.

Edited by kev61

1 hour ago, kev61 said:

Please tell us why Poch is not the problem.

you are only as good as the tools you are given

1 hour ago, kev61 said:

you are obviously not a fan of crosswords, my old china