Mauricio Pochettino leaves Chelsea by mutual consent

Proud-Blue

8 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

You are of course correct, looking at our fixtures coming up we are, based on current form and without a monumental turnaround likely to find ourselves very close to the bottom three by mid December.

Our first 8 games were always going to be about getting a settled 11 into a system to try and gain some momentum and confidence to be ready for the Arsenal game. The only injuries that really effect our best 11 are James and Nkunku and as important as they are I don't think it's a reason to see what we are seeing, especially as Gusto is a more than adequate back up for James so it's only really Nkunku that we are seriously missing.

Chilwell showed in half an hour yesterday why he absolutely has to play at left back. Colwill played one hell of a ball to him when he was bursting forward, which lead to his chance. It's literally the first time we have seen it this season. Colwill's passing is a weapon from centre half so not only have we missed having a proper left back making forward, overlapping runs we've negated one of the best passers of the ball from centre back that I have seen.

And Enzo at 10 is arguably a more stupid decision. Not only are we missing him playing deeper, where he is absolutely phenomenal, he is truly woeful as a 10. Can't get anywhere near Jackson and leaves him completely isolated both in terms of helping the press and getting close enough to him to help with the link up play. We have seen how good Jackson is when he has players in and around him but he has been left hung out to dry.

Gallagher should be commended on his work rate, his professionalism, his hunger, his desire but he is certainly no Enzo playing where he is. It would be brutal to drop him but it must happen for the good of the team. The least we could have done was switch him and Enzo, at least give it a go.

It will be interesting to see how stubborn Pochettino is. It's not impossible to turn this around but he has to be big enough to realise he's made many mistakes so far and if he doesn't change he will be gone. The 7 games we have coming up, after Burnley will make or break him. If we don't see a massive change there will be only one outcome.

Any rational person when missing Nkunku and being gifted Palmer would , you know, play Palmer there. He's an idiot.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Thiago97 said:

Hypothetical question that requires serious thought and an answer for the people who want Poch out now.

Let's say we do it end of this month. We go and get De Zerbi and he comes in early November.

What if we are still not really scoring goals and De Zerbi first 15 games read W3 D6 L6...........then what do we do ?

No good saying it wont be that bad under De Zerbi, cos that is not really an answer anyone can say with certainty. Are you ok with blindly backing this manager who has won very little, and what he has won is in a 1-2 team league ? These are the same things that get thrown at Poch. No-one caveats it with what is he going to win at Southampton, so I don't expect to hear the same lack of context applied for De Zerbi. Whilst no-one seems to want to give Poch any credit for qualifying for CL and reaching a final with spurs (something De Zerbi has not achieved)

I really like De Zerbi, dont get me wrong. None of this is a criticism of him, but I want to know what happens if we get him and his first 15 games look like I have played out and with little goal threat ?

The one difference for me is that I believe we know what Poch's ceiling is, but we don't know what De Zerbi's is. It's quite possible we could ruin De Zerbi, but it's also possible he could go to Man City and become the next elite manager everyone's talking about.

I truly believe if Poch was the current Man City manager he would be regularly bested by Klopp. Okay, he might win a title or two here or there, but I never believed he is a serial winner and someone who can take us to the promised land.

De Zerbi isn't ex-Spurs. I do feel he would've made less excuses so far, and his football has been phenomenal at Brighton. But I think it's quite possible we could ruin him thanks to our dodgy recruitment and consistent board interference.

At the moment, I am more hoping that the board realises its mistakes on the pitch than in the dugout - looks at the very least at getting us a proper number 9 and another proper supporting forward as well to make up for where we are.

As far as I am aware, De Zerbi's release clause can only be triggered at the end of the season anyway?

39 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Any rational person when missing Nkunku and being gifted Palmer would , you know, play Palmer there. He's an idiot.  

Without a doubt mate. He's looked very lively every time he's come on and showed some quality glimpses yesterday with a few very good balls, something none of the other attackers try.

I know a lot of City fans that think his best position is at number 10, some think RW but it's very mixed. One thing for certain though is that Pep's wingers don't play like traditional wingers, they play like a number 10 out wide so whatever people think his best position is he's unquestionably the best option we have there.

Instead Poch has messed up the centre half. He's messed up the left back. He's messed up the pivot and he's messed up the number 10, which in turn messes up the ST.

5 positions where he's got it wrong but also where he's not even tried anything different, when we are shockingly bad.

Let Colwill play CB and use his range of passion as a weapon. Let continue his development playing alongside one of the all time greats.

Let Chilwell play LB and let him do his thing, constantly making forward, overlapping runs.  The opposition wide players must be loving playing against us, they won't have it any easier all season.

Let Enzo play in the pivot, with license to get forward by pairing him with Caicedo or Ugochukwu. Let him do what he does and dictate the game.

Play a proper number 10 who will help with the press and get close enough to Jackson to link up the play. Play someone that is capable of seeing and playing dangerous balls in the final third. Play someone that's able to shoot from in and around the box.

Give Jackson the support he needs by playing a proper number 10. His link up play was what got everyone so excited in pre season. It was his link up play and ability to bring others into the game that created most of our chances, for him and others. He's a very lonely figure at the moment, tries so hard to start the press only to look over his shoulder and see Enzo can't keep up with play.

The problem with all the above is it's literally half the outfield team he is getting wrong. Because of one injury which justifies you calling him an idiot. He is too much of an idiot to sort this out, even TRY something when what he's doing is clearly not working.

Edited by martin1905
  • Like 1

I'd vote for the fourth option if the wording was changed to "We're stuck with him and the problem is bigger than just the manager".

We're trapped. And it worries me massively that they went into the changing room after the game, as if they were expecting better out of *that* attack. 

For the millionth time, WHERE ARE THE GOALS COMING FROM? And it's not just about adding another striker, we need to be able to create better chances, more consistently.

Any manager worth their salt wouldn't have accepted that final two weeks of the window. Unfortunately, we seem to have given the job on the basis of someone being the best performing candidate in an interview over being the best manager . He probably told the panel/board exactly what they wanted to hear, blew smoke up their bottoms and gave validation to their nonsense football ideology. Problem is now we can't win a game, we can't even score a goal and he can't even play players in their correct position.

Our only hope is to get them all out, but that's impossible. Until then, we're screwed.

3 minutes ago, Box of Tricks said:

I'd vote for the fourth option if the wording was changed to "We're stuck with him and the problem is bigger than just the manager".

We're trapped. And it worries me massively that they went into the changing room after the game, as if they were expecting better out of *that* attack. 

For the millionth time, WHERE ARE THE GOALS COMING FROM? And it's not just about adding another striker, we need to be able to create better chances, more consistently.

Any manager worth their salt wouldn't have accepted that final two weeks of the window. Unfortunately, we seem to have given the job on the basis of someone being the best performing candidate in an interview over being the best manager . He probably told the panel/board exactly what they wanted to hear, blew smoke up their bottoms and gave validation to their nonsense football ideology. Problem is now we can't win a game, we can't even score a goal and he can't even play players in their correct position.

Our only hope is to get them all out, but that's impossible. Until then, we're screwed.

I think it's very unfair to judge the attacking players whilst we are set up the way we are.

We are literally doing everything possible to make it difficult to score goals because of how we line up.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Box of Tricks said:

I wholeheartedly reject the narrative that we are stuck with him whatever happens. I said it under Potter and he was supposed to be the unsackable project manager. Even with these owners, it's a results-based business. They will sack him even to have someone to blame for their own failings. When? Not sure. But if he loses every single game until Christmas he would undoubtedly be gone before then. He could almost certainly be sacked for much less. What is that magic number of results and performances? Who knows.

8 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

The one difference for me is that I believe we know what Poch's ceiling is, but we don't know what De Zerbi's is. It's quite possible we could ruin De Zerbi, but it's also possible he could go to Man City and become the next elite manager everyone's talking about.

I truly believe if Poch was the current Man City manager he would be regularly bested by Klopp. Okay, he might win a title or two here or there, but I never believed he is a serial winner and someone who can take us to the promised land.

De Zerbi isn't ex-Spurs. I do feel he would've made less excuses so far, and his football has been phenomenal at Brighton. But I think it's quite possible we could ruin him thanks to our dodgy recruitment and consistent board interference.

At the moment, I am more hoping that the board realises its mistakes on the pitch than in the dugout - looks at the very least at getting us a proper number 9 and another proper supporting forward as well to make up for where we are.

As far as I am aware, De Zerbi's release clause can only be triggered at the end of the season anyway?

All well and good Max, but it does not really answer the question , based on they hypothetical situation I have asked on what do we do ? All you have really told me is that you believe De Zerbi has a higher ceiling than Poch.

3 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Without a doubt mate. He's looked very lively every time he's come on and showed some quality glimpses yesterday with a few very good balls, something none of the other attackers try.

I know a lot of City fans that think his best position is at number 10, some think RW but it's very mixed. One thing for certain though is that Pep's wingers don't play like traditional wingers, they play like a number 10 out wide so whatever people think his best position is he's unquestionably the best option we have there.

Instead Poch has messed up the centre half. He's messed up the left back. He's messed up the pivot and he's messed up the number 10, which in turn messes up the ST.

5 positions where he's got it wrong but also where he's not even tried anything different, when we are shockingly bad.

Let Colwill play CB and use his range of passion as a weapon. Let continue his development playing alongside one of the all time greats.

Let Chilwell play LB and let him do his thing, constantly making forward, overlapping runs.  The opposition wide players must be loving playing against us, they won't have it any easier all season.

Let Enzo play in the pivot, with license to get forward by pairing him with Caicedo or Ugochukwu. Let him do what he does and dictate the game.

Play a proper number 10 who will help with the press and get close enough to Jackson to link up the play. Play someone that is capable of seeing and playing dangerous balls in the final third. Play someone that's able to shoot from in and around the box.

Give Jackson the support he needs by playing a proper number 10. His link up play was what got everyone so excited in pre season. It was his link up play and ability to bring others into the game that created most of our chances, for him and others. He's a very lonely figure at the moment, tries so hard to start the press only to look over his shoulder and see Enzo can't keep up with play.

The problem with all the above is it's literally half the outfield team he is getting wrong. Because of one injury which justifies you calling him an idiot. He is too much of an idiot to sort this out, even TRY something when what he's doing is clearly not working.

Its why I'm sticking with the theory that you can bring in any manager , even Lampard and immediately they'll play Chilwell , Colwill , Enzo in the positions that we bought them for and improve the side . 

It's so bizarre that I am honestly at the point that he's doing this purely so that when he changes it all back he'll look like the  genius who turned it all around and the media will lap it up. 

7 minutes ago, Box of Tricks said:

Despite the tactical failings, I do think the biggest mark against Poch has been how he managed to take this job in the first place without being promised a proper, experienced no.9 and similar additions elsewhere. He was clearly trying to convince L. Martinez to join and the board has gone in a different direction. Shows immense weakness and ill-judgement on his part that he would have even taken this job without promises of not being left in this mess - Nagelsmann, for example, would have not let this happen.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

All well and good Max, but it does not really answer the question , based on they hypothetical situation I have asked on what do we do ? All you have really told me is that you believe De Zerbi has a higher ceiling than Poch.

To answer your question directly then, I think there are some on here (like @martin1905) who are unfortunately putting too much blame on the manager and not enough on recruitment. Until we show some common sense with recruitment, we will very likely continue to burn through managers just like we burn through young players.

In short, I could very much imagine we end up in a similar situation with De Zerbi as we currently do with Poch. Perhaps the board won't even mind burning through head coaches if it protects their position and gives them someone to blame.

As time evolves, new managers should become available and eventually we have to get it right, perhaps with a new board too. I do think De Zerbi is a special talent and I'd be hopeful he would connect to the Chelsea fans and buy himself more time. But I wouldn't put my hat on it as at the moment - our managers are now largely a stand-in for the board in terms of fan criticism.

To repeat - the problem lies largely with our squad and not with Pochettino, but Poch isn't the answer to all our problems either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thiago97 said:

Hypothetical question that requires serious thought and an answer for the people who want Poch out now.

Let's say we do it end of this month. We go and get De Zerbi and he comes in early November.

What if we are still not really scoring goals and De Zerbi first 15 games read W3 D6 L6...........then what do we do ?

No good saying it wont be that bad under De Zerbi, cos that is not really an answer anyone can say with certainty. Are you ok with blindly backing this manager who has won very little, and what he has won is in a 1-2 team league ? These are the same things that get thrown at Poch. No-one caveats it with what is he going to win at Southampton, so I don't expect to hear the same lack of context applied for De Zerbi. Whilst no-one seems to want to give Poch any credit for qualifying for CL and reaching a final with spurs (something De Zerbi has not achieved)

I really like De Zerbi, dont get me wrong. None of this is a criticism of him, but I want to know what happens if we get him and his first 15 games look like I have played out and with little goal threat ?

The hypothetical answer is that of course he would be under huge pressure if after his first 15 games he had only won 3 and we weren't scoring goals but that's not a Chelsea thing. It's a football thing, any manager that comes in and has such a horrendous start, at any club, even newly promoted teams will face the sack. We have seen it time and again.

No one can say with any certainly it won't be that bad, your right but you can't dismiss the reasoning as to why it probably wouldn't be so bad. You've only got to watch Brighton to know it would be completely different. He has a system, a philosophy, something Pochettino quite simply does not have. 

The biggest praise you can give him is that it doest matter who he plays, it doesn't matter if they sell his best players, the players that come in do the same job and the teams level doesn't drop. That's something very, very few managers are ever able to achieve and it's because the whole squad is drilled in his system and his system works. 

He has proved, not just at Brighton, that you don't have to throw money at certain players to be successful. By good man management, good coaching, hard work, with a proper philosophy and system you can improve individual players and the team. You can get individual players to play differently. You can coach them to improve, become better footballers and understand different needs and roles. It's something we have not seen for a very, very long time and I include Tuchel in that. 

The modern way, even for low level premier league teams now is to throw money at it and buy ready made players. The art of coaching and managing players seems to have died. It's far easier to just buy the type of players you need. De Zebri doesn't do that. You even look at the players he signed in the summer, young players he can work on and improve.

To get Brighton to the level they are and playing the way they do, whilst selling their best players,  is quite simply incredible.

• Love 1

17 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

To answer your question directly then, I think there are some on here (like @martin1905) who are unfortunately putting too much blame on the manager and not enough on recruitment. Until we show some common sense with recruitment, we will very likely continue to burn through managers just like we burn through young players.

Very difficult to judge the players we have bought though Max, we are playing far too many players out of position and have no system, style, philosophy, whatsoever. 

We don't know how good these players are as they either do not play or when they do are not set up in the right way to get the best out of them.

It could well be that the players aren't good enough but on the flip side of that a better manager will still get them playing better.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

The hypothetical answer is that of course he would be under huge pressure if after his first 15 games he had only won 3 and we weren't scoring goals but that's not a Chelsea thing. It's a football thing, any manager that comes in and has such a horrendous start, at any club, even newly promoted teams will face the sack. We have seen it time and again.

No one can say with any certainly it won't be that bad, your right but you can't dismiss the reasoning as to why it probably wouldn't be so bad. You've only got to watch Brighton to know it would be completely different. He has a system, a philosophy, something Pochettino quite simply does not have. 

The biggest praise you can give him is that it doest matter who he plays, it doesn't matter if they sell his best players, the players that come in do the same job and the teams level doesn't drop. That's something very, very few managers are ever able to achieve and it's because the whole squad is drilled in his system and his system works. 

He has proved, not just at Brighton, that you don't have to throw money at certain players to be successful. By good man management, good coaching, hard work, with a proper philosophy and system you can improve individual players and the team. You can get individual players to play differently. You can coach them to improve, become better footballers and understand different needs and roles. It's something we have not seen for a very, very long time and I include Tuchel in that. 

The modern way, even for low level premier league teams now is to throw money at it and buy ready made players. The art of coaching and managing players seems to have died. It's far easier to just buy the type of players you need. De Zebri doesn't do that. You even look at the players he signed in the summer, young players he can work on and improve.

To get Brighton to the level they are and playing the way they do, whilst selling their best players,  is quite simply incredible.

Agree with most of this.

I also think De Zerbi seems like a bit of a nutter and that's generally a requirement for top level management.

Potter was always too nice in comparison.

6 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

So we just go round and round then don't we, unless a manager gets off to a decent start. The same noises will be made again, based on this hypothetical situation. Some will say we need to give De Zerbi time, look what he done at Brighton. Some will say he needs to go, he is out of his depth and never won anything of note. Meanwhile, another season has passed, another 7/8 players have come and gone and very little has changed.

De Zerbi didnt have a great impact early on in his first club jobs in Italy. He was in/out within a few months of a couple of clubs, so he his impact was obviously minimal then, but he impact has been fantastic since then.

This is why a modicum of stability is required. Clearly, it cannot last forever and you keep losing every week, then hands get forced. 6 games in though is just ridiculous

• Agree 1

Just now, Mark Kelly said:

Funnily enough , I have confidence that the players aren't the issue here , we have some very good players and some quite good players despite their inexperience . It's telling that the only player that has improved week on week is the goalkeeper who gets specialist training . 

You were the worse culprit on here from absolutely ripping them last season. Now you have confidence they are not the issue.

4 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

So we just go round and round then don't we, unless a manager gets off to a decent start. The same noises will be made again, based on this hypothetical situation. Some will say we need to give De Zerbi time, look what he done at Brighton. Some will say he needs to go, he is out of his depth and never won anything of note. Meanwhile, another season has passed, another 7/8 players have come and gone and very little has changed.

De Zerbi didnt have a great impact early on in his first club jobs in Italy. He was in/out within a few months of a couple of clubs, so he his impact was obviously minimal then, but he impact has been fantastic since then.

This is why a modicum of stability is required. Clearly, it cannot last forever and you keep losing every week, then hands get forced. 6 games in though is just ridiculous

I've said a few times now it's not about 6 games. It's about Pochettino, on a whole as a manager and it's also about where we will be by the end of game 15.

It's not my decision to sack him but would be very surprised if he is still  here at Christmas.

Will be very intriguing how most react over the next 9 games. I said 10 but obviously one has gone and the tide is swinging already.

21 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

I've said a few times now it's not about 6 games. It's about Pochettino, on a whole as a manager and it's also about where we will be by the end of game 15.

It's not my decision to sack him but would be very surprised if he is still  here at Christmas.

Will be very intriguing how most react over the next 9 games. I said 10 but obviously one has gone and the tide is swinging already.

If winning things is the main criteria people use for managers. Poch has won and achieved more in his managerial career to date than De Zerbi has.

It has to be about the 6 games for you. You were not keen the idea of appointing him, you then came around to the idea of him being our manager. Now you want him gone and to be replaced by a manager who is currently doing better, but has achieved less. The only key differentiator in all this is the 6 games we have had so far, so it has to be based on these 6 games.

1 hour ago, martin1905 said:

I think it's very unfair to judge the attacking players whilst we are set up the way we are.

We are literally doing everything possible to make it difficult to score goals because of how we line up.

I agree that the setup is not helping in any way shape or form. It is also probably unfair to judge them on the last few months, but that's also kind of the problem - what else can we really judge them on, because there's little else in terms of track record.

The last time we "went young" (ten plus years ago), we got it right with Mata and then Hazard because they were young but established, and had proved that they were capable of top level performances over a far greater period of time. They were bought to add value to us straight away, and they did in spades. 

Madueke, Mudryk, Jackson, etc could well go on to carve out decent careers, but I just think we didn't need to shape our new attack almost exclusively on gambles. 

Board members already going into the dressing room for inquisitions feels like a big red flag - from their side, does that hint at a clash between unrealistic expectations and reality?

28 minutes ago, MickyDroy said:

Whether one rates Pochettino or not.
Is it not true that he simply have to go if we lose to Fulham and draw to Burnley let's say? It isn't exactly unlikely and one would have to start making serious plans on how to avoid relegation at that point.

I think so, yes.

Many on here like to use numbers in terms of games played, injuries etc. to paint a particular picture:

"We have 12 injuries!" (when most of them are not first eleven starters)
"We have only played 6 games!" (But we have had the easiest start to the season out of any team).

Then people argue that there is not much difference between the fixtures in the division. Ha.

Good luck with that.

If we continue to play like we currently are, all of the top teams are going to rip us to shreds.

And I think it's 0 wins in 23 games against sides in the top 10 now.

17 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

In fairness.

Re Colwill playing LB over Chilwell: There's two main reasons for this that I see.

• Mudryk playing on the left doesn't tend to track back well, so having a defensive player in behind that'll hold their position for cover makes sense. 
  • Chilwell isn't a very good link and overlap type of fullback, he's more about getting forward and making runs in behind. This basically means you get two players trying to occupy the same attacking spaces if partnered with Mudryk ahead. 

Re Enzo: I agree, he's better off in the pivot where he can be played through more. I can also understand why we'd push him higher for the time being given Palmer only just arrived, and a midfield group of Gallagher, Enzo and Caicedo is more solid within general play on paper. 

Jackson's problem isn't support, he's combined well with Mudryk and a couple others dropping deeper. What needs to change is his decision making (eg; holding onto the ball too long/trying to dribble through sides himself), and his finishing. Also his stupid bookings, that needs to change big time. 

13 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

If winning things is the main criteria people use for managers. Poch has won and achieved more in his managerial career to date than De Zerbi has.

Never said it has anything to do with winning, but you do like to put words into my mouth.....

13 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

It has to be about the 6 games for you. You were not keen the idea of appointing him, you then came around to the idea of him being our manager. Now you want him gone and to be replaced by a manager who is currently doing better, but has achieved less. The only key differentiator in all this is the 6 games we have had so far, so it has to be based on these 6 games.

Prime example, I can say till I'm blue in the face that it's not just about the past six games yet you keep claiming it is.

I don't rate Pochettino as a manager and don't like him.

I really rate De Zebri and like him a lot.

It's not that difficult.

Also what the two have achieved is subjective, one could make an argument that what De Zebri has achieved at Brighton, in such a short space of time is far more impressive than anything Pochettino has ever done.