Mauricio Pochettino leaves Chelsea by mutual consent

Proud-Blue

Just now, asvaberg said:

What was his response after last night's performance? (I haven't managed to read any papers yet)

Tired from playing with 10 men for 60 minutes, Man Utd had an extra day to prepare etc.

This is all a waste of time really. Five months in and all we have to cling on to are draws at home against the better teams. No style of play is being established and hardly anybody in the squad is a better player today than when he arrived.

Makes total sense now why he was unemployed for so long. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Bison said:

Tired from playing with 10 men for 60 minutes, Man Utd had an extra day to prepare etc.

This is all a waste of time really. Five months in and all we have to cling on to are draws at home against the better teams. No style of play is being established and hardly anybody in the squad is a better player today than when he arrived.

Makes total sense now why he was unemployed for so long. 

He's not improved anyone , in fact many have gone backwards under his cowardly management .

One could argue that the board haven't exactly made things easy for him with so many new players and questionable ones at that but we still can't defend , the midfield is awful at everything and the attack can't score unless the chance is handed to us. 

He's an awful , awful manager , scared of every team he plays and after that appalling post match interview appears to have given up the ghost entirely .

If we put all the names of all the managers in the league in a hat and pulled one out at random to replace him we'd fair no worse as a club and in all probability improve .

Everything he was at Spurs he's lost and it's because he's scared. 

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

He's not improved anyone , in fact many have gone backwards under his cowardly management .

One could argue that the board haven't exactly made things easy for him with so many new players and questionable ones at that but we still can't defend , the midfield is awful at everything and the attack can't score unless the chance is handed to us. 

He's an awful , awful manager , scared of every team he plays and after that appalling post match interview appears to have given up the ghost entirely .

If we put all the names of all the managers in the league in a hat and pulled one out at random to replace him we'd fair no worse as a club and in all probability improve .

Everything he was at Spurs he's lost and it's because he's scared. 

As someone who really wanted Poch I’m afraid it’s very disappointing indeed. But now we’ve had three managers who can’t get a tune out of the squad. The players must also take responsibility.

7 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

As someone who really wanted Poch I’m afraid it’s very disappointing indeed. But now we’ve had three managers who can’t get a tune out of the squad. The players must also take responsibility.

We've also had two squads , something is rotten somewhere 

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

One for those who'd sack Poch now, who would you realistically replace him with given the fabric of the squad on hand?

Curious to see where peoples heads are at on his.

De Zerbi if he was interested. He's got a buy-back clause.

Results may not improve overnight but at least he would presumably lay some foundations for the future. He'll drill the squad into a set system and make us comfortable in possession, both of which Pochettino have failed at. Already worked with a few of our players are brought out the best in them, namely Caicedo, Colwill and Mudryk.

He makes sense to me. Top 4 is 100% gone this season but bring him in and give him a head start on next season when we need to look to be up there around Top 4/5.

Edited by MickyDroy
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

One for those who'd sack Poch now, who would you realistically replace him with given the fabric of the squad on hand?

Curious to see where peoples heads are at on his.

You won't get any sensible responses on this. Partly cos I think there is such a split amongst many Chelsea fans on what the problem is. Some lay all the blame on the manager, despite the previous 3 managers all having problems, minus the 12 months Tuchel got them organised. Some blame the players simply not being good enough. Some blame the recruitment process/ownership model.

All this just creates confusion with any future manager, because it is just very difficult to tick every box here. Trying to find a manager  that fits with the ownership model, yet is a ruthless winner and will maintain a mid-long term positive impact across the club, without creating civil unrest with the owners and possibly players. Whilst trying to compete in the most competitive team in the league, where the margins are far finer than any other league, due to teams in the bottom third spending £40-£70 million on talented players.

Add all this into the melting pot and you are left with a club continually in transition, yet with huge expectations.

Before anyone comes back with examples of other clubs/managers. You have to factor in the context of those appointments, who they were replacing, and what their expectation and ambitions are. All very different to Chelsea who have generally been an elite European clubs for the best part of 20 years.

3 minutes ago, MickyDroy said:

De Zerbi if he was interested. He's got a buy-back clause.

Results may not improve overnight but at least he would presumably lay some foundations for the future. He'll drill the squad into a set system and make us comfortable in possession, both of which Pochettino have failed at. Already worked with a few of our players are brought out the best in them, namely Caicedo, Colwill and Mudryk.

He makes sense to me. Top 4 is 100% gone this season but bring him in and give him a head start on next season when we need to look to be up there around Top 4/5.

Must be comedy hour

Might as well go and get Bielsa, because he is an expert of getting something out of nothing when you look at what he did at leeds.

Time for people to look at the real picture, Poch is not the issue because he has a team at the same level as when he went to Southampton, therefore you cannot measure him against top team because thanks to winstanley, stewart, shields and TB & Eggy;s ego he's been given one of the poorest Chelsea squad for a couple of decades.

One can only hope that the majority share holders Clearlake will realise the errors of the TBSD way and rectify it at some point.

ROTG saying BFN

28 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

Each decent result, performance or defeat swings the Pochometer wildly from “back” to “sack” and back. Ficklemuch.

Personally , I've wanted him gone for absolutely ages as he isn't what we thought we were getting , his Spurs side were a tough side to play , entrenched in the dark arts and I was hoping to see that from him and we resolutely haven't , in fact it's the opposite , he's bending over to appease the referees and we are hilariously easy to play against .

We can play some nice stuff and look full of vim and vigour on occasion and it makes you hope that things will change but they never do.

I don't think I've ever seen a Chelsea side look so bad when playing badly if you get my drift , it's not just looking a bit off colour it's a complete dereliction of duty and lack of any redeeming quality and is quite bizarre 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Personally , I've wanted him gone for absolutely ages as he isn't what we thought we were getting , his Spurs side were a tough side to play , entrenched in the dark arts and I was hoping to see that from him and we resolutely haven't , in fact it's the opposite , he's bending over to appease the referees and we are hilariously easy to play against .

We can play some nice stuff and look full of vim and vigour on occasion and it makes you hope that things will change but they never do.

I don't think I've ever seen a Chelsea side look so bad when playing badly if you get my drift , it's not just looking a bit off colour it's a complete dereliction of duty and lack of any redeeming quality and is quite bizarre 

Same as under Lampard and Potter. You could also argue Leeds, Southampton, Zagreb all under Tuchel fall into this category too.

So maybe it isn't the manager/managers.

4 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

Same as under Lampard and Potter. You could also argue Leeds, Southampton, Zagreb all under Tuchel fall into this category too.

So maybe it isn't the manager/managers.

Fair point but name me a player that Pochettino has actually improved in his tenure , I can't think of one who is playing to their maximum ability and he's been here ages now , Gallagher doesn't count as he's doing it himself I think 

Just now, Mark Kelly said:

Fair point but name me a player that Pochettino has actually improved in his tenure , I can't think of one who is playing to their maximum ability and he's been here ages now , Gallagher doesn't count as he's doing it himself I think 

How can Gallagher not count when Poch is the only manager who has give him the platform by being a regular? I would say Cucurella form has been better under Poch. I would say we have seen more from Mudryk under Poch. Many of the other players in the team were not here last season, so the benchmark for comparison there is how they played at their previous club. That is not a fair or accurate benchmark cos many other factors involved.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'll rephrase the question to you . Which player that was here last season has gone backwards under Poch ?

5 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Reece James , Chilwell 

So two players who spend half as much time on the treatment table as they do actually playing. Chilwell is clutching a little as he played a few games, in a different role, before getting injured again.

James whole career to date is producing 10 games a season where he displays that he is one of the best in the world in his position. Then he spends the other 30-40 games injured and managing his body coming back from injury.

I don't think you can stack these two up as players who have regressed under Poch.

39 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Must be comedy hour

Might as well go and get Bielsa, because he is an expert of getting something out of nothing when you look at what he did at leeds.

Time for people to look at the real picture, Poch is not the issue because he has a team at the same level as when he went to Southampton, therefore you cannot measure him against top team because thanks to winstanley, stewart, shields and TB & Eggy;s ego he's been given one of the poorest Chelsea squad for a couple of decades.

One can only hope that the majority share holders Clearlake will realise the errors of the TBSD way and rectify it at some point.

ROTG saying BFN

Can you stop saying BFN every time you post, it's really annoying me, and it doesn't take much this morning.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Thiago97 said:

So two players who spend half as much time on the treatment table as they do actually playing. Chilwell is clutching a little as he played a few games, in a different role, before getting injured again.

James whole career to date is producing 10 games a season where he displays that he is one of the best in the world in his position. Then he spends the other 30-40 games injured and managing his body coming back from injury.

I don't think you can stack these two up as players who have regressed under Poch.

Who put him in the "different role" then? 

Oh yeah , the coward.

Just now, Thiago97 said:

He tried something different, it was not really working and then gets labelled a coward for trying something different. Strange thought process.

It wasn't working , correct , he gets labelled a coward as he was only playing Colwill as a left back because he'd promised him game time and was scared we didn't have height in the side .

He turned an excellent left wing back into a piss poor left winger . 

Just now, Mark Kelly said:

It wasn't working , correct , he gets labelled a coward as he was only playing Colwill as a left back because he'd promised him game time and was scared we didn't have height in the side .

He turned an excellent left wing back into a piss poor left winger . 

Over a period of what 6-8 games ? It's hardly a significant sample time to include as a player who has gone backwards under the manager is it ? If Chilwell comes back into the same role in the team and looks poor, then I would be in agreement with you. It was a new manager trying something in his first handful of games.

1 hour ago, Thiago97 said:

You won't get any sensible responses on this. 

Why is De Zerbi not a sensible response? Yes he has his risks, but so did Poch, so does any manager barring maybe Guardiola, Klopp, Tuchel and Ancelotti. I think he's destined for Man City if Guardiola leaves. He could fail easily with us but Poch has clearly failed so at least we're rolling the dice on someone different. And I don't think its a ridiculous proposal because De Zerbi is incredibly highly rated and worth a chance. And please don't tell me about his risks, I know he has risks, I have acknowledged he has risks. Maybe stepping up to Chelsea is too big a jump given the state we are in but at least it's someone other than Poch.

In short, I don't accept we need to tick every box at the moment to choose someone new. Poch never ticked every box in my eyes. So we will always choose someone mitigated unless it's one of those elite few.

Edited by Max Fowler