• Michel
  • Marco Rose
  • Zinedine Zidane
  • Unai Emery
  • Edin Terzić
  • Peter Bosz
  • Julen Lopetegui
  • Sergio Conceição

There's 21 managers we could look at. Some you will say are past it, some you will say are not gettable. Some are too inexperienced, some are not the right fit. No doubt you think many don't compare well to Poch in terms of their CV.  

If you take those that fall under those different  criteria off the list, you are left with Tony Pulis.

4 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

If you take those that fall under those different  criteria off the list, you are left with Tony Pulis

This is getting silly. At some point we are going to have to choose someone to replace Poch, unless you think he's here for the next twenty years. And if you think an absolute banker appointment is going to emerge who the sides above us can't get, well good luck with that. We can't get Pep, Klopp, or Simeone at the moment I am afraid.

Don't forget, our top three to replace Potter was Poch, Postecoglou, Kompany.

39 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Well now I have offered 21 potential replacements for Poch - do you want me to name them all in order?

It's not about "is he that different" - it's about "is Poch working", as I keep having to repeat apparently.

I didn't say there was no replacements. I am well aware there are loads of names who could get the job.The point was there are some who want him out, but no-one is offering up a name to replace him. Mark offered up Silva, which is maybe not a bad shout, as he does have that little bit of poor man's Mourinho about him.

One of the regular complaints some have is about the playing out from the back and how we play ourselves into trouble. De Zerbi takes over, he is going to want to do exactly the same, if not to an even more precise level. This is what I am saying by is he really that different. Can he really polish that with the same set of players? 

Personally, I think deep down quote a few who are vocal about Poch out know that they players are not living up to he expectations right now. That's not to say they will not over time.  The manager is the easiest thing to replace and that will always be the case. I just really struggle to see any manager coming in and making a huge impact in a short period of time. I am not Mourinho biggest fan, but I actually think he would be one manager who would help change their mentality and make the team more affective and functional. At the same time, he would just lose his shit on a regular basis with the constant mistakes and naivety this set of players display. He would struggle to work within this current structure of being handed 18-22 year old's to work with. The whole club would be civil war within 18 months of him arriving, if he had to work within this structure and with such a young group of players.

• Like 2

The one obvious very good coach out there and available is Lopategui.

I don’t see us making a change, as I don’t see the situation becoming desperate enough for them to make that change.

IF they do make any change. He is the one obvious very good coach available, and should be the number 1 candidate the club look at. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

This is getting silly. At some point we are going to have to choose someone to replace Poch, unless you think he's here for the next twenty years. And if you think an absolute banker appointment is going to emerge who the sides above us can't get, well good luck with that. We can't get Pep, Klopp, or Simeone at the moment I am afraid.

Don't forget, our top three to replace Potter was Poch, Postecoglou, Kompany.

You took a tongue in cheek comment and extrapolated into some pretty wild spaces there. I think you may have misunderstood…

No he won’t be here 20 years.

No we can’t get Klopp Pep or Simeone or anyone else good.

My point was that, of your list of 21, at least 10 would refuse to come,

Of the rest, half are too inexperienced and the other half are the wrong fit.

It would be very easy to make this situation much worse and for much longer.

I am on record of "being done" with The Poch...I'm done with no progress, I'm done with excuses...I expect a coach to coach and show some (well paid) enthusiasm, self knowledge and professional compentancy.

The Poch is not doing a good job but I feel he could/should be doing a better job..for me GP had nothing to offer a top side.

I less want The Poch out than I want a better performance from him and the coaching staff (or a better coach in..as ever who?..)

In a perfect world you pick your own squad to coach..in the real world you coach a mixed bag into a working unit...it's not who you want it's who you have...do the f'ing well paid job you accepted.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, McCreadie said:

You took a tongue in cheek comment and extrapolated into some pretty wild spaces there. I think you may have misunderstood…

No he won’t be here 20 years.

My point was that, of your list of 21, at least 10 would refuse to come,

Of the rest, half are too inexperienced and the other half are the wrong fit.

It would be very easy to make this situation much worse and for much longer.

I may have overreacted.

Honestly, I am not sure how we make this situation "much worse". 15th? Relegated?

If this continues, Poch is a "better fit" than none of them. Why?

Because the data is in - he has completely failed. We will know this doesn't work.

At least with a new manager we can try to change the situation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

There's 21 managers we could look at

Not one of them could turn this championship team built by scouts and owners egos, with the exception of Bielsa who has show how to get 110 % out of championship level players. 

49 minutes ago, chara said:

I am on record of "being done" with The Poch...I'm done with no progress, I'm done with excuses...I expect a coach to coach and show some (well paid) enthusiasm, self knowledge and professional compentancy.

The Poch is not doing a good job but I feel he could/should be doing a better job..for me GP had nothing to offer a top side.

I less want The Poch out than I want a better performance from him and the coaching staff (or a better coach in..as ever who?..)

In a perfect world you pick your own squad to coach..in the real world you coach a mixed bag into a working unit...it's not who you want it's who you have...do the f'ing well paid job you accepted.

Poch is not the problem. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, McCreadie said:

None of the above would come with the clubs current set up. These coaches work with DoF to ensure they get their needed resources to keep them top of the shop. They do not come to clubs where the owners and scouts pick and buy the playing staff as is the norm in rounders 

19 minutes ago, chara said:

My cooler head agrees... "not THE problem" but part of the problem,,for whatever reasons. The question for me is will the situation improve without a change of focus ?

As I said if you want to improve a championship squad of kids call Bielsa 😀

Edited by ROTG

3 hours ago, Bigpokey24 said:

I think POCH needs to fix this or very soon the fans will turn on him. I still think we should see how the fixtures go during the festive period

The last live game I saw was actually JM's Roma winning 7-0 whilst on a week's holiday in Rome.  Sadly JM sat smugly in the very big dugouts they have there, so I saw no ranting and raving.
I have to say I can't believe he'd want to come back.
Especially if Chelsea are now all about low wages and short contracts for managers.

2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

UPDATED THE POLL - HAVE YOUR VOTE.

Not sure anything fits there for me - which is that we might as well stick with Poch even if he is crap.
He has a 2 year contract - in football terms, especially Chelsea terms he IS the temporary caretaker.
Potter got 5 years.

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Poch is not the problem. 

Indeed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigpokey24 said:

Very good.
"This is not a team that knows what it is doing in the final third!

High turnovers won - 3rd in PL
Goals from High turnovers 18th  "because it is clearly something they haven't worked on"
"Not the plan, it is just something they are doing."

"Good set of players but lacking experience."
Rice and Caicedo - one had 220 pl games behind him the other had 45.

15 hours ago, exiledblue said:

I didnt see the poll but agree with the result. 

Poch (any manager) would struggle with Todds fantasy league approach to buying. The managers situation is also not helped by the number of injuries. Perhaps investment is needed in the medical department. 

James, Chilwell, Fofana, Lavia, Nkunku, Gusto, Madueke, Ugochukwu etc are a lot to miss

However he hasnt helped himself with decisions like not including Chalobah.

Chalobah is actually injured, the narrative he's being frozen out needs to be put to bed once and for all.

He picked up a hamstring injury vs Fulham in pre-season, then ended up having complications with it during training around a similar times as James tweaked his and that's kept him out longer. This has been documented across several sources.

12 hours ago, Bigpokey24 said:

Those aren't his players. Board purchases etc. He needs to buy his own set of players. Enzo is a very poor signing. Let the managers take control of transfers.  Enzo is on a 10 year contract. He is lazy , he isn't good enough for Chelsea.  We lose more with him in the squad. He has been here for almost a year, and we are still waiting and hoping for the future. We can claim and hope for the future while our rivals pass us by 

Enzo isn't a poor signing, but he's also not the type of player that is going to carry a side on his own back in the way a Gerrard would for example or a KdB. He was far and away our best player upon arrival last January, his biggest issue right now is that he's visibly knackered because he's played so heavily for club/s and country over the last 18 months or so. 

You're barking up the wrong tree if you believe Enzo is the crux of our problems. 

• Agree 3

12 hours ago, Bigpokey24 said:

That is a top level analysis! Right on point.

We have a good selection of players, but not a team. YET. There are also things to work for Poch in training the team and instilling a plan on what to do in the final third. He also needs to somehow make Silva captain again to help with the calm head and experience within the team.

News just in 

After the defeat to Newcastle, Poch threatened them all with two days extra training but actually gave them two days off and took them all out for a meal on him. 

Now, after the defeat to Everton it's being reported that the players had an Xmas night out in London by the Telegraph. 

Apparently Reece James decided it would be a good "bonding exercise". 

No reports forthcoming of how "limpy" he was. 

I expect all our forwards "hit the bar". 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I mean the idea that it would have been "harder to rebuild through established options" is just so false that I don't know where to start. Frankly, I don't even think is the point you wanted to make.

It's as it says on the tin really.

Take the starting position we were in this summer once clearing out everyone we did, to then build out a team that filled all our needs would've been just as challenging, carried just as much financial cost (since established players of the quality we'd be targeting generally demand higher wages), and arguably taken more time because teams are less likely to want to sell their more proven players if they're pivotal to their current team. 

You then turn around and look at all the transfers made this window of players between 23-30 and the top 25 transfers all cost upwards of €42m (roughly £36m), and the quality is pretty stretched. Two of those players in that 25 are our own Nkunku and Disasi, and two were sales we made in Havertz and Mount. While there's some nice players there, there's also many who most would also turn their nose up over if signed. 

I haven't done the math to work out just home much of the £1bn spent has been on genuine first team players we're using at present, but whatever that value is probably wouldn't have assembled a particularly strong established group either based on how the market unfolded. Then if it didn't work out and we still struggled for whatever reason we'd arguably be in a deeper hole, trying to once again shift high earners to clubs where most teams outside of England cannot afford them unless they're the big dogs of their league.