Mauricio Pochettino leaves Chelsea by mutual consent

Proud-Blue

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Until you stop blaming Boehly who stepped back months ago for everything, you'll never see what's happening in front of your eyes. 

Most of our problems stem from the last 3 windows and the contracts players have signed which all happened....  .... months ago.

It is the strategy that Boehly and co set up that caused our decline.  All we can do and frankly all Poch can do is watch the train wreck.

9 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

Most of our problems stem from the last 3 windows and the contracts players have signed which all happened....  .... months ago.

It is the strategy that Boehly and co set up that caused our decline.  All we can do and frankly all Poch can do is watch the train wreck.

It's just as well then because all he's doing is watching, they're certainly not being coached  to play as a unit if they're being coached at all. 

We have idiots in every department of this club and he's one of them. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

It's just as well then because all he's doing is watching, they're certainly not being coached  to play as a unit if they're being coached at all. 

We have idiots in every department of this club and he's hired Everyone of them on 7 year contracts

Fixed

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Nobody said that. Nobody. 

Until you stop blaming Boehly who stepped back months ago for everything, you'll never see what's happening in front of your eyes. 

The longer he's "coaching" them the worse they're getting!

Eh!

so who’s idea was this to get rid of nearly every senior player in the squad and replace them with overpriced and overrated nobody players. Pochettino?

if you really want someone who can coach players over and above their limitations then Bielsa should be the next coach on Todd & Eggy’s list. 

Merry. Christmas 👍

32 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Eh!

so who’s idea was this to get rid of nearly every senior player in the squad and replace them with overpriced and overrated nobody players. Pochettino?

if you really want someone who can coach players over and above their limitations then Bielsa should be the next coach on Todd & Eggy’s list. 

Merry. Christmas 👍

You're question was about everyone saying we were fantastic after beating Newcastle. 

Nobody did, people were pleased we had but nobody thought that was anything other than a marginal victory. 

Absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with getting rid of the senior players. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

To be fair that was in almost every case the player's idea to abandon ship like rats.  (With the help of quite a few offers from better clubs or at least clubs in the CL).
The question is no who pushed  but why did they jump?

30 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

You're question was about everyone saying we were fantastic after beating Newcastle. 

Nobody did, people were pleased we had but nobody thought that was anything other than a marginal victory. 

Absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with getting rid of the senior players. 

Yes.  A very frustrating marginal victory against a team struggling.  They have now lost 5 of 6 games with the exception being Fulham who had a man sent off early.  Yesterday's loss was to Luton.
They are W8L1 at home in the prem, W1D2L6 away  (with the win at Sheff U)

The only impressive thing about the Newcastle game was the penalties.  Clearly the players take Pen practice very very seriously.
Doing it themselves is my guess.  Equally clearly they clearly don't give a fxxx about corner practice at either end.

I've just thought of a worse case scenario that these idiot owners might try to pull off for some totally imaginary cachet .

Poch has one more year on his contract , taking him to summer 25 .

Gareth Southgate is talking about leaving the England job in summer 25 .

Our owners are morons .

We're doomed, literally  the only manager I can think of that  is worse at it than Poch.

• Like 1

On 24/12/2023 at 20:28, ROTG said:

Eh!

I thought the point of MoPo was that he was supposed to be aa wizz at coaching and developing young players ? I'll be honest, I don't see any more of that happening than Frank did.

The fact that we seem to play better against the better teams would suggest that it isn't a function of the coaching but rather the players motivate each other more. If it were down to the coaching then surely we would be even better against other middle of of the road sides?

The problem is that I don't see any other blindingly obvious alternative to our current manager out there at the moment.

38 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

I thought the point of MoPo was that he was supposed to be aa wizz at coaching and developing young players ? I'll be honest, I don't see any more of that happening than Frank did.

The fact that we seem to play better against the better teams would suggest that it isn't a function of the coaching but rather the players motivate each other more. If it were down to the coaching then surely we would be even better against other middle of of the road sides?

The problem is that I don't see any other blindingly obvious alternative to our current manager out there at the moment.

Not the first time we've been misled tbf. Get used to the feeling. I know I have. 

Just now, Bison said:

Not the first time we've been misled tbf. Get used to the feeling. I know I have. 

He has consistently done it elsewhere. That's not defence of him, it's cause for real alarm here. He can't do the thing he's any good at here and that points to very, very big problems.

Now behind Bournemouth in the table. Yet another manager doing more with less.

6 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

He has consistently done it elsewhere. That's not defence of him, it's cause for real alarm here. He can't do the thing he's any good at here and that points to very, very big problems.

Managers burn out quicker than most people are willing to accept. There are very few that can sustain what works for them over several years and teams. Poch had his good spell but even Spurs got tired of him.

Edited by Bison

6 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I've just thought of a worse case scenario that these idiot owners might try to pull off for some totally imaginary cachet .

Poch has one more year on his contract , taking him to summer 25 .

Gareth Southgate is talking about leaving the England job in summer 25 .

Our owners are morons .

We're doomed, literally  the only manager I can think of that  is worse at it than Poch.

Normally I’d agree with you on Southgate, but after the dross that the current coach is serving up I’m not so sure now. 

Now, if Steve Holland comes in that’s a different matter - He’s a good coach, some say he was the football brains behind the 2012 CL win.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Bison said:

Now behind Bournemouth in the table. Yet another manager doing more with less.

Managers burn out quicker than most people are willing to accept. There are very few that can sustain what works for them over several years and teams. Poch had his good spell but even Spurs got tired of him.

It is entirely possible that what he managed at Spurs, Southampton and Espanyol was more about circumstance than him, or that he's lost it. Definitely one way of interpreting what is happening here. The one thing that makes me wary of it as an explanation is that we have been just as shit with different players and coaches very recently.

I doubt that any of the managers outperforming him in the league from lesser starting points would manage much better here, though. We've built a football club it seems nigh-on impossible to properly coach in. I don't think you can explain just how bad we have been for a year on the coaches here in that time. It's been relegation performances and results from coaches who, even at their worst, had never before been that bad.

All pretty miserable stuff.

20 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

It is entirely possible that what he managed at Spurs, Southampton and Espanyol was more about circumstance than him, or that he's lost it. Definitely one way of interpreting what is happening here. The one thing that makes me wary of it as an explanation is that we have been just as shit with different players and coaches very recently.

I doubt that any of the managers outperforming him in the league from lesser starting points would manage much better here, though. We've built a football club it seems nigh-on impossible to properly coach in. I don't think you can explain just how bad we have been for a year on the coaches here in that time. It's been relegation performances and results from coaches who, even at their worst, had never before been that bad.

All pretty miserable stuff.

It's beyond miserable. I don't dispute that things are worse than we could have ever imagined under the guidance of the new ownership .

I just refuse to believe a competent coach would be incapable of masking some of the squad issues and getting more from what he has at his disposal. Poch is very much part of the problem. Why wouldn't he be? He was identified as the right man by people even worse at their jobs. 

Edited by Bison
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Bison said:

It's beyond miserable. I don't dispute that things are worse than we could have ever imagined under the guidance of the new ownership .

I just refuse to believe a competent coach would be incapable of masking some of the squad issues and getting more from what he has at his disposal. Poch is very much part of the problem. Why wouldn't he be? He was identified as the right man by people even worse at their jobs. 

There’s something very, very wrong at Chelsea and it goes beyond the manager. There’s no team spirit because despite good intentions - we can’t say they haven’t stumped up the cash - Todd ‘n’ Eggy spent money like a lottery winner with ADHD. With careful planning over 2-3 windows we could have transitioned a new team which would be doing far better than this. At the end of the day though it’s done and we’ll have to get used to where we are for the next decade. IMO it’ll take that long to sort it out - if it ever is. 

I still stand by what I wrote a few days ago following the Wolves result - Poch is an average manager. 

If you know you have crap forwards (which they are) why cant we just have a low block and sneak a 1-0?! Mudryk was probably buzzing with confidence following the Newcastle match why doesnt he start from the start (against Wolves)?! Also, why not play Maatsen against Wolves. Its not as if they will attack. and why even bother having Colwill if we end conceding goal after goal from crosses and corners?!

I think by the end of this xmas period we will be in the relegation dog fight.

2 hours ago, Bison said:

I don't think anyone really disputes that a competent manager (using your term) may see some revival. However, it will be short term improvement, because many of the players are not currently up to the job of handling the pressure of playing in this league week in week out. When I say a short term revival, I am talking winning 6 out of the first 10 games.

Whoever that competent manager is will run into exactly the same problems.  We have a mishmash of some players being up to the job, some clearly not ready yet, and with severe doubts they ever will be, and then some who are not good enough.

1 hour ago, Miguelito07 said:

I still stand by what I wrote a few days ago following the Wolves result - Poch is an average manager. 

If you know you have crap forwards (which they are) why cant we just have a low block and sneak a 1-0?! Mudryk was probably buzzing with confidence following the Newcastle match why doesnt he start from the start (against Wolves)?! Also, why not play Maatsen against Wolves. Its not as if they will attack. and why even bother having Colwill if we end conceding goal after goal from crosses and corners?!

I think by the end of this xmas period we will be in the relegation dog fight.

Because its about identity. I'm not saying this is right or wrong here, but the club have acquired players to fit with the identity and style of play the clubs wants to adopt. Pochettino has not been sold the job as a results manager, he has been sold the job playing in a specific style of play, and with a specific identity throughout the club. Playing a low block and using Mudryk on the counter attack (just an example) is not within the scope of the identity the club is trying to implement. 

It's a bit like Postacoglu at spurs. Everyone laughed  at his tactics when down to 10 men and then 9 men against us, and in the context of the game, they were ridiculous. However, in the context of harbouring an identity  for Spurs and how he wants them to play, it fits within that context. Which despite what happened in that game, Spurs fans gave them a standing ovation for the performance.

Just to repeat, I am not saying  either way is right, but its why we wont see the team playing low block and giving up 60% possession to teams , with the aim of trying to win the game .  Many of our players would probably learn far more by playing a more tactical style of football, but that was not the idea behind splurging millions of pounds on them. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Bison said:

But could we have hired such a competent coach this summer.  And 6 continued months on, with almost no experience left in the fit players, do you think we could hire any competent coach today?

(and competent coaches come with competent lawyers that stick owners to 7 year contracts when they don't do well, and walk out after 18 months if they do well).

1 hour ago, Dwmh said:

But could we have hired such a competent coach this summer.  And 6 continued months on, with almost no experience left in the fit players, do you think we could hire any competent coach today?

(and competent coaches come with competent lawyers that stick owners to 7 year contracts when they don't do well, and walk out after 18 months if they do well).

There are coaches better than Pochettino currently working for 'smaller' clubs on relatively small salaries. A competent manager ≠ a big name manager.